(Close Window)
Topic: Balancing Objects on Chin
I've started to try balancing a mop pole on my chin to start with. I'm having very slow progress. All I know is keep an eye at the end of the pole and move slightly to balance it. The most I can do is 10 seconds.
Can anyone advice me on the right way to learn this? Is it just keep on doing it till you get it? Or should I start with a lighter object like an ostrich feather or a balloon?
I just discovered the best way to start learning this is with a newspaper folded to make a long cone. Then you can progress to heavier objects. I am getting the knack of this. It does take time, discipline and lots of patience. Good indoor excercise too.
Does anyone remember the magician who does it with a newspaper cone (or tissue paper) and burning it while balancing it on his chin?
Lou
If you persist at it you should be able to balance a spoon on your nose soon.
Peacock feathers are also great for beginners looking to learn balancing.
Heavier on top helps....and the only real secret is practice. An early book I read suggested using a wooden stick that you cut progressively shorter as your skills improve. My problem is there was already too much schtick in my show!
Focus your attention on the top of the balanced item. As it starts to tip and fall one way or the other, make some minor corrections. A longer pole is easier to learn to balance then a shorter object. I first learned with a devil stick, and them learned to balance a juggling club.