(Close Window)
Topic: Eisenberg
Did anyone else see this last night? I think his "performance" serves to highlight the talent of good magicians. :) He is a fine actor, but I think it was obvious to everyone that he is not a magician. I found the part where he says, "don't look at my hands" quite amusing. He also said, "The movie is much better than than this." Here'e hoping that's true.

For those who didn't see it and want to:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MWR32rFLGs

Perhaps some will say, "Good for him for trying." I am of the opinion that he should have performed something easier for him... if at all.
I agree, he should have performed something easier, maybe from a harry lorayne book, or a self working effect. He proabbly just wanted to show off.
It didn't look planned at all to me... It looks like he was just put into an awkward situation. Eisenberg isn't a magician and being only in front of NICE cameras and scripted actors he probably thought it was going to go well. He did the Snap change itself well but camera on the side took total advantage of the bad angle.

I feel bad for him more than anything. Even magicians who we view as GREAT have a tough time performing for Letterman. Look how he placed his card back into the deck, he just slammed it in there.
I agree. It didn't look like he wanted to show off. It looked to me like he was really uncomfortable. Speaking as a Monday morning quarterback, I think he should have DL-ed, put the card back, and then lifted just the selected card. Seems that makes more sense if you're not sure of the camera angles...
Yeah, letterman is a tough cookie
The movie is lots of fun. Don't miss it. :)
Jesse one of those actors with a bit of an odd personality.
Eisenberg is an actor who, though he has hit it big in Hollywood, has not forgotten his roots. He still does a lot of acting, writing, and directing of theatre pieces in small Off-Broadway venues in NYC.
That was bit rough. Television angles can be unforgiving. I would think that to perform an angle sensitive trick you'd have to plan camera angles in advance and since he didn't look prepared to do anything, it was a gamble to improvise something like that. Letterman kind of put him in a tough spot.
The problem wasnít Letterman or unforgiving television angles. The problem was that Eisenberg isnít a magician, lacks even the most basic sleight-of-hand skill, didnít have a clue what he was doing, and has no business doing a card trick even for a tolerant friend, let alone on national television.
[quote]
On 2013-05-18 06:07, Count Lustig wrote:
The problem wasnít Letterman or unforgiving television angles. The problem was that Eisenberg isnít a magician, lacks even the most basic sleight-of-hand skill, didnít have a clue what he was doing, and has no business doing a card trick even for a tolerant friend, let alone on national television.
[/quote]

+1
I agree with the two previous posts, but I was trying to be a little nicer about it. :) As evidence to support this assertion, I cite his "control." He didn't even try to hold a break. He just kept the two halves separate and placed the half with Letterman's selection on top. Granted, Letterman himself probably did not see that, because Eisenberg's hands were in his lap. After all, he had instructed Letterman not to watch them anyway! (lol) Nonetheless, the camera did see it. If you are doing a magic trick on TV, it is as much your responsibility to be aware of where the cameras are as it is to be aware of where your spectators' eyes are in a live performance. Yet, I do not expect him to know that because, as has been stated many times, he is not a magician. :)
He is not a magician, playing such a big role on a big budget movie I would have expected the magician's coaching him to at least prepare him for doing something on television when we is being interviewed. I know he is not a magician, but this makes me feel sorry for him.
Blindside, that is a good thought. I wonder who the magic consultants on the film are. They must have cringed at this. :)
I've seen a few actors try and pull this sort of thing off when they are in a magic themed movie. I recall Scott Bakula doing something equally as bad when he was promoting Lord of Illusion.
Lord of illusion was as bad as eisnibergs trick
Well, one thing is for sure--he's no Neil Patrick Harris:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYKqAr2CVNw
...an actor playing the part of a magician.
To me this shows others how difficult it is to do great magic.
That is the point I was making in my original post when I said:

"I think his 'performance' serves to highlight the talent of good magicians."

So, I agree. :)
"Eisenberg is an actor who, though he has hit it big in Hollywood, has not forgotten his roots. He still does a lot of acting, writing, and directing of theatre pieces in small Off-Broadway venues in NYC."

And horrendous magic on Letterman. This wasn't about angles or Letterman's legendary "toughness." It was an object lesson in when not to perform. Magicians don't do themselves any favors by responding to it with excuses and lots of smiley faces. It was crap, objectively, not merely as a matter of opinion.
Yes, it was. Where did I say otherwise? So what? It was an informal bit on a talk show. He could have tried singing opera or balancing three chairs on his nose and failed equally. Who cares? It only makes others look better.
Heisenberg > Eisenberg
[quote]
On 2013-05-21 17:54, tenchu wrote:
Heisenberg > Eisenberg
[/quote]

Are you sure?
"It only makes others look better."

Except those who are just as bad, or worse; he's a reminder of those.
[quote]
On 2013-05-21 16:47, landmark wrote:
Yes, it was. Where did I say otherwise? So what? It was an informal bit on a talk show. He could have tried singing opera or balancing three chairs on his nose and failed equally. Who cares? It only makes others look better.
[/quote]

I believe magic is not something to be "tried" live on tv in front of millions of viewers. We could have been watching him "try" to do anything else he can't do, maybe such as juggling, break-dancing, spinning plates, whatever. Failing at any of those things could well have had added entertainment value. Watching him fail to do a mediocre magic trick was just painful and a waste of time.
Give him a break, he's only been studying for a few months, it's not like all of magic is ruined now. He's where all of us were at when you have been into it for that long he tried something and it didn't go off well, and he was under a lot of pressure, at that. Did it expose a technique? Yes, but who's going to remember that two hours later? Non magicians, I mean.
A couple of thoughts from reading the thread and watching the video:
1) Anyone would know that if you playa movie role of a magician, SOMEONE on the talk show tour is gonna ask if you can do a trick!
2) You can either learn a no fail trick to do, or you can be prepared to say "uh, you know I was acting...but thank you! I did my job as an actor creating the illusion if you think I AM a magician...but I am not."
EITHER WAY, he should have been prepared for how to deal with what he had to KNOW would happen. Because handling it as he did, damages the credibility and believability of the role he is asking audiences to believe him in on the screen.
"Give him a break, he's only been studying for a few months, it's not like all of magic is ruined now. He's where all of us were at when you have been into it for that long he tried something and it didn't go off well, and he was under a lot of pressure, at that. Did it expose a technique? Yes, but who's going to remember that two hours later? Non magicians, I mean."

That's one way of looking at it. But as between pretending it wasn't bad and just saying it was, I prefer calling it what it was. It didn't 'ruin' magic; but calling it a crappy performance doesn't ruin anything else, other than magicians' reputation for being infinitely tolerant of mediocrity.
This reminds me of a phrase I use to hear a lot in high school, "Haters gonna hate".

He is not a magician, yet he gave it a shot...I give him a high five for the effort.

Tell me again how your snap change is exposed now and you wont be able to use it anymore and I will tell you, why the he## are you doing a snap change.

Oh, its the DL that he exposed.....well many people know about the DL....doesnt mean you still can use it, play upon there "knowledge of the DL, or just do something else for those "special" spectators.

Long story short....good looking, charming, successfull young man doing magic while making a blockbuster movie about magic seems like a win for the magic community.

But....haters gonna hate.

BIlly
[quote]
On 2013-05-21 21:29, Stephon Johnson wrote:
Because handling it as he did, damages the credibility and believability of the role he is asking audiences to believe him in on the screen.
[/quote]

This is an excellent point I hadn't thought of.
I supposed nobody here has ever messed up a trick before. I am not tolerant of mediocre magic, but I am tolerant of someone going on Letterman before camera's and a live audience and doing a card trick, a person who has only been doing magic for a few months. In the movie he plays someone else. On Letterman he was himself.
[quote]
On 2013-05-21 22:28, Billy-one wrote:
He is not a magician, yet he gave it a shot...I give him a high five for the effort.
BIlly
[/quote]
Iím not a surgeon, but if you need a heart bypass Iíll be glad to give it a shot. Hopefully, youíll give me a high five for the effort (if you survive).
[quote]
On 2013-05-18 19:35, Duderino wrote:
Well, one thing is for sure--he's no Neil Patrick Harris:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYKqAr2CVNw
[/quote]

that was nice :)
"This reminds me of a phrase I use to hear a lot in high school, "Haters gonna hate". "

That's right, there are just "haters" and really kind, affirming people like you.
[quote]
On 2013-05-21 21:29, Stephon Johnson wrote:
A couple of thoughts from reading the thread and watching the video:
1) Anyone would know that if you playa movie role of a magician, SOMEONE on the talk show tour is gonna ask if you can do a trick!
2) You can either learn a no fail trick to do, or you can be prepared to say "uh, you know I was acting...but thank you! I did my job as an actor creating the illusion if you think I AM a magician...but I am not."
EITHER WAY, he should have been prepared for how to deal with what he had to KNOW would happen. Because handling it as he did, damages the credibility and believability of the role he is asking audiences to believe him in on the screen.
[/quote]
Agree with you up to the last sentence. I don't need James Earl Jones to really be the Master of All Evil in the Universe to believe his portrayal of Darth Vader. Actors ≠ their characters
[quote]
On 2013-05-21 17:54, tenchu wrote:
Heisenberg > Eisenberg
[/quote]
Are you certain of that?

Mussolini < Eisenberg < Jonas Salk
[quote]
On 2013-05-22 00:24, Count Lustig wrote:
[quote]
On 2013-05-21 22:28, Billy-one wrote:
BIlly
[/quote]
Iím not a surgeon, but if you need a heart bypass Iíll be glad to give it a shot. Hopefully, youíll give me a high five for the effort (if you survive).
[/quote]

Well said! Live tv is not the place to "have a go" at magic. By all means, "give it a shot" in front of a few friends.. But live tv? Yeah, good one, gimme five and keep up the good work! In fact, the more actors who try magic tricks and fail them on live tv the better, right?
"Because handling it as he did, damages the credibility and believability of the role he is asking audiences to believe him in on the screen."

By doing a crappy card trick on Letterman he's less "credible" in a movie role? That's the kind of thing that sort of sounds as if it makes sense, except it doesn't at all resemble how people actually respond to things. If he's delivers well-written lines in a well-directed movie, that's what determines if the on-screen portrayal will be well-recieved. The vast majority of people who happened to see him on Letterman won't even know it's the same person in a movie, and the vast majority of people watching a movie will know nothing of his Letterman appearance. It's mostly a non-event. But it's still bad magic and should be called bad magic, rather than handing everyone a participation trophy and regarding the merest criticism as "hating on."
If Eisenberg make claims to being a professional magician and screwed up that might be different, but a surgeon promotes himself as a seasoned pro. But like Byrnes says, it's mostly a non-event. The only people who even remember it, I would guess, are those here who are still upset about it.
[quote]
On 2013-05-22 15:35, fonda57 wrote:
If Eisenberg make claims to being a professional magician and screwed up that might be different, but a surgeon promotes himself as a seasoned pro...
[/quote]
I'm not promoting myself as a seasoned pro. I just want to perform surgery (preferably on national television) in order to get that coveted "high five." I want people to congratulate me for giving it a shot.
Actually, it's a good point: I run across all kinds of people who hate magic, and the reason seems to be that they have been exposed to a LOT of bad magic, so exposing the entire Letterman viewing audience to more bad magic isn't actually helpful, is it?
The point I was trying to make (apparent fail on my part) is that he IS an ACTOR. We talk a lot about being a magician is "an actor playing the part of a magician". You hear that from everyone! So I was only trying to say that it hurts his credibility as an actor to not even be able to improvisationaly show the acting talent that makes up the majority of the skill needed to pull off a good effect. I don't "hate" him for blowing it. I just felt bad that he looked foolish as a magician, and mostly as a skilled ACTOR. SO now when I go see the movie, all I will think during his scenes is "he can't actually do any of that, or even pretend to." Anyway, whatever - if there was nothing to it, there wouldn't be a thread here.
Okay, got you, thanks for explaining further.
He was nervous. Card magic is not easy to perform.
He is doing the same trick in other interviews. Horrible angles. Totally exposing the change. Someone should tell him it is a bad idea. Especially when he does the trick in the film.