(Close Window)
Topic: What is this prop?
I got this in an estate sale. You drop the block in the top of the tube, and can see it through the cut out opening. Then you slide that stick through the block, locking it in place, but can still turn the tube upside down and dump the block out.

It's a VERY clever mechanism, I love this prop. I'm going to start using it in my shows and will be performing it for the first time today. But I'm curious as to the history. What is it called? Who made it? And while I have my own routine for it written, what routine did it come with?

If anyone is familiar with this thing, I'd appreciate the information!
The image was too big ... trying again!
[img]http://www.evan.org/temp/box.jpg[/img]
That would be the "Vampire Block Escape".
Cool - I will google that. THANK YOU!
(And I used it in a show yesterday and it went GREAT. It was nice to see that, and it'll be awesome to know a bit more about what it is!)
That was some interesting reading. This is definitely that trick but the release is mechanical instead of magnetic, and the ones I see all have something to palm off while this one doesn't. On the other hand, the other ones are examinable (as the "thing" is palmed off and gone) where this one isn't examinable as the "thing" is built into the wall of the tube.

All VERY interesting reading, and mostly just fascinating to see the different ways to solve the same problem!
The one you have is the original version.

There are others that do not have anything that needs to be palmed off or any internal mechanism at all.