(Close Window)
Topic: What is this prop?
Message: Posted by: evanthx (May 26, 2013 11:22AM)
I got this in an estate sale. You drop the block in the top of the tube, and can see it through the cut out opening. Then you slide that stick through the block, locking it in place, but can still turn the tube upside down and dump the block out.

It's a VERY clever mechanism, I love this prop. I'm going to start using it in my shows and will be performing it for the first time today. But I'm curious as to the history. What is it called? Who made it? And while I have my own routine for it written, what routine did it come with?

If anyone is familiar with this thing, I'd appreciate the information!
Message: Posted by: evanthx (May 26, 2013 11:26AM)
The image was too big ... trying again!
Message: Posted by: evanthx (May 26, 2013 11:27AM)
Message: Posted by: Stanyon (May 26, 2013 05:28PM)
That would be the "Vampire Block Escape".
Message: Posted by: evanthx (May 27, 2013 08:48PM)
Cool - I will google that. THANK YOU!
Message: Posted by: evanthx (May 27, 2013 08:51PM)
(And I used it in a show yesterday and it went GREAT. It was nice to see that, and it'll be awesome to know a bit more about what it is!)
Message: Posted by: evanthx (May 27, 2013 09:59PM)
That was some interesting reading. This is definitely that trick but the release is mechanical instead of magnetic, and the ones I see all have something to palm off while this one doesn't. On the other hand, the other ones are examinable (as the "thing" is palmed off and gone) where this one isn't examinable as the "thing" is built into the wall of the tube.

All VERY interesting reading, and mostly just fascinating to see the different ways to solve the same problem!
Message: Posted by: Bill Palmer (Jun 30, 2013 01:56PM)
The one you have is the original version.

There are others that do not have anything that needs to be palmed off or any internal mechanism at all.