(Close Window)
Topic: Marketing Lecture at the Magic Castle
Hey Guys...

I'll be giving a 2 hour marketing lecture at the Magic Castle June 30th (3pm-5pm)...here is some info about the lecture: http://www.magiccastle.com/visiting/calendar.cfm?id=1183

Here are a few things I might talk about:
-How to increase fees
-What websites to use to find events
-How to find event planners
-What corporate clients are looking for
-How to use social media to get gigs
-How to hire VAs (even if you don't have a lot of money)
-How to build a website that gets you booked
-What to put in a demo
-and other "entrepreneur" skills like...being productive, how to stay focused, money management, etc

And I won't be creating any lecture notes.

I'll also be performing from June 28th-30th so you can also stop by and watch the show.
Can't wait for the "regulars" to tell us what a bad idea this is. I'm going to grab some popcorn and watch the show...
Great Job landing the Gigs
Congrats.

I don't know what you know about the other topics in the lecture BUT from what I have read that you have written here about what to put into demo video it would seem that alone would be worth attending for. SO many biff that SO badly and it might be the largest thing contributing to not getting jobs. Seriously if I had to pick as the largest problem it would be this.

Good luck.
I'd be interested in hearing what you have to say about VA's. Have fun, sounds like you have it all planned out.
[quote]
On 2013-05-30 23:36, charliecheckers wrote:
Great Job landing the Gigs
[/quote]
P.S. You can buy a dry erase board (should you need one) from Staples, Office Max or Office Depot as they are all located in the area. LOL
[quote]
On 2013-05-30 23:28, G. Batson wrote:
Can't wait for the "regulars" to tell us what a bad idea this is. I'm going to grab some popcorn and watch the show...
[/quote]

Thanks for your contribution trying to stir things up.
I wasn't aware that they had lecturers at the magic castle.

Have fun
I am going to try to make it.
[quote]
On 2013-05-31 09:31, Mindpro wrote:
[quote]
On 2013-05-30 23:28, G. Batson wrote:
[/quote]

Thanks for your contribution trying to stir things up.
[/quote]

Yea absolutely. Now is where Tom should be along to admit he was absolutely wrong about not congratulating Benji when he acts lime a human being.
[quote]
On 2013-05-31 09:46, Al Angello wrote:
I wasn't aware that they had lecturers at the magic castle.

Have fun
[/quote]

Al they have lectures, special guests and even a youth group of next generation magicians. Usually on Sunday afternoons when the Castle is closed to the public. They have an extensive library for research by the members looking for ideas as well.

The Castle use to be a great place to get referrals from as well. Don't know if they still do that being Larson has passed, but they get calls from everyone looking for entertainment, cruise ships, television, working for the star's parties, etc.

It is more then just a bar, restaurant, and 3 theaters. Every time I had the privilege to visit, I had a wonderful time.

To get to perform or do anything at the Magic Castle, means you are a highly respected magician or mentalist in the Magic Arts.
It more means you are willing to work for the low money.
Awesome Curtis...great to have someone do a "review"! Congrats Benji - I hope it goes awesome.
I am sure it will go well. Benji is a good performer.
I want to point out too that I appreciate that Benji just came out and advertised his appearance directly. I didn't like the other approach.
[quote]
On 2013-05-31 12:25, Dannydoyle wrote:
[/quote]

I remember the word "free" being thrown around quite a but when I performed there. Albeit it was only for one night in the close up room, so not sure if it's still pro bono work.

Josh
[quote]
On 2013-05-31 13:52, Scott Burton wrote:
I want to point out too that I appreciate that Benji just came out and advertised his appearance directly. I didn't like the other approach.
[/quote]

I also prefer this approach. Working the Magic Castle is cool. Lots of history there within those walls. Good for him.

As I said I think it will go great.
The rates just went up - performers receive $1400 for the week (close up performers get a little something extra if they do the Friday lunch shows as well.)
Still pretty low.
Well let me tell you people one thing. LOL

Danny, I am indeed proud of you all. Thank you and everyone else, I really mean that. Thank You.

I'm also very proud of Benji. Seems like only yesterday that I was calling him my litte eagle. I knew one day he would soar.
It looks like that day has come. Well done Benji. Go get em and Congradualations on all your success.

Tom
[quote]
On 2013-05-31 13:52, Scott Burton wrote:
[/quote]

This truly is the thing to be proud of in this thread lol (along with booking a lecture)
Tom I don't know about soaring. But good on him.
A lecture at the Magic Castle is quite an accomplishment.

Way to go!

Oscar
[quote]
On 2013-05-31 15:29, Dannydoyle wrote:
Still pretty low.
[/quote]

Sometimes the value isn't in the dollar, but in what you do!
What are you talking about?
Danny - I think he means that sometimes people do things because it is considered an honor to do them, and the financial compensation is secondary. Benji will gain a lot of prestigue from his appearance, and he will more than make up for the fact that the compensation is on the lower side.
[quote]
On 2013-05-31 12:25, Dannydoyle wrote:
[/quote]

You keep talking about the low pay $$$ regarding the Castle, but sometimes money is not the final decision factor for everything for some people/performers.
I know what you mean. I'm currently doing a charity run / event and it's getting pretty big with the whole community coming together and the press are getting more and more interested by the day. There is no compensation. It feels good to do good. But it's also a great way to become more well known and, well, also more credible and worthy of talking about. I don't think pay would be Benji's #1 concern for the Castle gig.
RIght on Scott! Charliecheckers you beat me to it! lol :)
Have fun Benji! You deserve it to lecture in the Castle. I think you should also talk about "How can a really good show sell itself".
I saw your magic square on youtube and think it is really great video material for potential clients.
Good Job Benji! Break a leg! And if you don't, I'll break it for you :P
Fantastic Benji! I've relatives in LA and only get out to Castle when I'm visiting them. I wish I could be there for your Lecture.
Is anyone from TMC planning on attending?
Did anyone wind up attending? If so, how did it go?
Nice way to move the thread to the top when you probably already know LOL.

BUT that being said my money is on it went well no matter how many attended. Benji is way too smart to have been unprepared. His performance also probably went well as it is his strong suit.

Those are guesses but I would put money on them.

I seriously hope he comes here himself to let us know. It would even be cool if he actually.engaged people.and talked with them.
While Benji was conducting his lecture, I was in the back of the room with a video camera performing close-up tricks and getting testimonials
Ok dude THAT made me laugh.
LOL, now that's funny!
Any news?
Oddly, awfully quiet...(crickets)
I was present at the lecture. He did a very good job. There were some heavy hitters in the audience, and they all seemed to appreciate the insight Benji shared. Benji has a very low key way of presenting, both in his lecture and his mentalism performance. I've seen quite a few lectures at the Castle, and he did a commendable job. I think he'll get better as he gains more experience. There were a few things he shared that I didn't know about. Specifically in regards to certain websites that can help with online marketing.

His market is the corporate market, and most of his lecture focused on ways he gets the corporate gigs. According to his lecture, he focusses on getting spin off gigs over getting repeat gigs. He's also very big into taking action and going after the work.

He's still a very young man, and he has a lot to learn, but I think he's on the right track. He's made some mistakes along the way, but who here hasn't? My hope is that he'll take responsibility for some of his less commendable actions. In any case, he seems very driven, and I believe he'll eventually surpass the financial success of most people who post on this forum.

Respectfully,

Lou Serrano
Thanks Lou for your unbiased review. I think others haven't responded because they're following the "If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all" but this must really be bugging them as you are very respected in the community.
Thanks Lou. Very kind of you to give an honest review.

Not really a surprise to me that it did go well. Benji is a determined young man that doesn't let the naysayers get in his way.
Certainly he has a lot to learn (don't we all) but there is no reason others still can't learn from his experience and enthusiasm.

Congratulations Benji. Keep on keeping on.

Tom