(Close Window)
Topic: Magic in movies lecture
Hey Guys,

I am preparing a lectures about magic and magicians in the movies, and I was wondering if you can bring up some topics and ideas that I can talk about based on movies such as: The Prestige, The Illusionist, Magicians, The Great Buck Howard, The Incredible Burt Wonderstone.

Do you know movies that contains actual magic performance such as: Boogie nights, Magicians, Preaty Woman and such?

Thanks!
'Now You See Me' of course.... :)
"Terror Train" had David Copperfield in it
There's a great bill/billet switch in 'The Grifters' and John Scarne plays Paul Newman's hands in '[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1cfWDAYLiM]The Sting[/url]'
There's also 'Is Anybody There' starring Michael Caine, 'Death Defying Acts' with Guy Pierce as Houdini and of course 'Magic' with Anthony Hopkins. All have varying amounts of magic in them.

Great idea for a lecture Roy, I wish you luck with it.

Tony
Some topic ideas to explore via cinematic narratives of magic and magicians:

- The Value of Secrets
- The Costs of Magic
- The Magician as Social Cripple/Emotional Misfit
- Magicians as Artists - or Otherwise
- The Hard Economics of Life as a Magician
- Social Status/Mobility of the Magician
Oz the Great and Powerful.

James Franco is a magician. :)
Stunned no one has mentioned the finest, most dramatic magic performance on screen. The card trick from "Magic"
I think this scene from the tv serie "The IT Crowd" is a pretty good and funny illustration of a cinematic narrative of the stereotype of magicians. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPXvAM9blow
[quote]
On 2013-06-12 11:29, Tom Cutts wrote:
Stunned no one has mentioned the finest, most dramatic magic performance on screen. The card trick from "Magic"
[/quote]

Somebody did. :)
Nightmare Alley staring Tyrone Powers
Black Magic staring Orson Well as Count Cagliostro
Houdini made a few silent movies
Invincible staring Tim Roth as Hanussen
Hanussen (German film) http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0095276/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1
Cool you gave me awesome resources and much more to think about. Thanks.

I know that Orson Wells, Steve Martin, Jason Alexander and Harry Anderson are/were actors as well as magicians.
Do you know more?
Shade had the names of a lot of magicians in it, plus a very cool gambling demonstration in the beginning, also the professor is in it.
John Calvert was in movies, even playing "The Falcon":
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0130813/

A Mandrake the Magician serial was made in 1939, starring Warren Hull (who also portrayed The Spider and The Green Hornet in serials).
Smokin' Aces. Jeremy Piven play an magichan who have to hide for a large amount of hitmans. Very good movie.
Though mostly about long and short cons, "House of Games" (1987) had a pretty cool switch using an envelope and featured Ricky Jay in the cast.
Roy,
Tony Giorgio was in "The Godfather" and was a magician. Also, Neil Patrick Harris, of Doogie Howser and How I Met Your Mother fame, is current President of the Magic Castle.
John
Charlie Chan at Treasure Island (Caesar Romero 1939); Charlie Chan Meeting at Midnight; The Mind Reader (Warren William 1933); Chester Morris was a magician as we saw in many of his Boston Blackey films; Orson Wells (already mentioned) "F For Fake"; He also did a nice broom Suspension in one of the I Love Lucy episodes; Basil Rathbone, as Sherlock Holmes, fakes a bit of slight of hand when he switches out the Star of Rhodesia in "Terror By Night"; The Amazing Mr. X (Turhan Bey 1948)
Good luck on your project
Night Has a Thousand Eyes (1948) Edward G. Robinson

[quote]When phony stage mentalist Triton mysteriously acquires supernatural powers of precognition, he becomes frightened and abandons his act to live of anonymity.[/quote]

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0040643/

This is an excellent film. It "exposes" a very clever two person code in which Triton's piano accompanist passes information via the music he plays as background to the Q&A act. It's also a good mystery as the meaning of Triton's visions only becomes clear in the final scene.

Good thoughts,

Bob
Wow. Awesome!
Just found the complete version of "Night has a Thousand Eyes" on YouTube. I think most mentalists who haven't seen it will find it very interesting. Lots of good lines.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RH3bzUF862k
I know that there is also a Spaghetti Western with Terence Hill where there are some cool card tricks performed. Any one remembers which movie?
Houdini (1953)...Starred,Tony Curtis!
[quote]
On 2013-06-13 00:37, Roy wrote:
I know that there is also a Spaghetti Western with Terence Hill where there are some cool card tricks performed. Any one remembers which movie?
[/quote]

Trinity is Still My Name (1971)
For you 'Super Hero',Mentalist types..."PUSH" 2009 :)
No, it's about magicians, nither wizards nor super-heros.

mastermindreader, Thanks!
Thanks for the youtube listing, Bob. I've wanted to see Night since I heard about it. One of the screenwriters was Johnathan Latimer, an old pulp detective writer that I've liked for a long time. Every time I see Jerome Cowen, even though he had more than a hundred credit, I think of Miles Archer from The Maltese Falcon and it was interesting to see Uncle Charlie in a straight role as the cop. Good film. (Didn't mean to hijack the thread, but I like the movie.)
Nobody mentioned The Escape Artist (1982) with Griffin O'Neal and Raul Julia.
I always liked that film. Some very good tricks shown in my opinion and used in real ways, as I recall.
Also, Harry Anderson was the kid's dad.
(It's streaming on Netflix now.)
There was the TV series 'The Magician',that starred,Bill Bixby.(1973-1974)
"Night Had a Thousand Eyes" sounds great. I will have to get it. Bill Bixby's "The Magician" is also a good recommendation. It reminded me of a "Colombo" episode in which he must decipher an illusionist's methods to solved the murder.
I believe Jay Ose was the hands of George C. Scott in "The Flim Flam Man" (1967) in a three card monte scene.

- Bob
Dante actually appeared in a film with Laurel and Hardy; "A Haunting We Will Go".
If I am not mistaken Harald Lloyd was a magician and what about Tony Curtis.

Channing Polocks act was in a movie.

Did anyone mention the Movie Shade yet?

Best wishes from Germany

Stefan
'Idle Hands' and the 'Addams Family' films, all featuring Christopher Hart.
There is a cool scene from one on the Terence Hill Movies (not Trinity is still my name) when four of a kind ae inserted into the middle of deck and rise to the top. Any one remembers which movie?
"Escape" (1972) - Christopher George plays an escapologist.
Another great movie is "Red Lights". If you're going to use "The Prestige" you should go more in depth on the final scene were they talk about what the purpose of magic is as well as what it takes to become great the dialogue in that scene was my favorite part.
There is an older movie from the 1990s called Memphis Belle.

True story about WWII fighter planes.

One of the guys on there does a fake toss out the window of a medal.

Later on when he appears it, he says it was done by MAGIC.

Other great sources:

Death Defying Acts with Guy Pearce

I believe in one of the Mission Impossible movies, Tom Cruise sleeves a CD of some sort, I believe it was part 2 or 3.

Another great source:

John Malkovich as Kreskin....The Great Buck Howard.

Alex