(Close Window)
Topic: Performing mistakes?
Yup, even the pro's make them at times. Seeing this made me feel better about performing. It made me realize that if I do mess up, it's no big deal, just keep it going. I thought since this helped me, perhaps it would help someone here too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTmyKzFQQeE&feature=youtu.be&t=24m25s
Where was the mistake? If you know the Gazzo routine you'll know that the fourth ball reveal is one of his gags.
No error made there. Another flawless performance by the remarkable Gazzo
I have watched his routine many, many times and I have never saw him make that mistake, even in his DVD's he doesn't do it and he doesn't mention it. That's new to me.
I'm a Gazzo nut and I don't recall ever seeing that "gag".

I guess if we find another clip that has it...it's a deliberate gag.

[img]http://images.penguinmagic.com/images/magitars/gazzo.png[/img]
He doesn't reveal or teach all his bits on his videos, and he doesn't do all bits all the time as evidenced by him skipping the six orange/melon load on that particular day. I've seen it a few times, possibly on School for Scoundrels VHS or maybe in his workshop but it's not necessarily something you'll easily find on YouTube.

I think he uses it to break the tension and remind people that things aren't necessarily what they seem to be.

Gazzo is a member here. He can tell us if he wants to confirm or deny the "mistake."
Gazzo can't stand this place. It would be cruel to make him visit.
[quote]
On 2013-06-27 22:24, Zombie Magic wrote:
[/quote]

Aw, I hate to hear that. What made him dislike this site?
[quote]
On 2013-06-27 22:52, gary31525 wrote:
[quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]

Possibly people posting about him making a mistake when in fact it's a part of his act I've seen him perform many times :)
[quote]
On 2013-06-27 22:52, gary31525 wrote:
[quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]

It robs him of valuable time. And he hates to have to justify himself when it's absolutely unnecessary.
[quote]
On 2013-06-26 10:14, gary31525 wrote:
Yup, even the pro's make them at times. Seeing this made me feel better about performing. It made me realize that if I do mess up, it's no big deal, just keep it going. I thought since this helped me, perhaps it would help someone here too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTmyKzFQQeE&feature=youtu.be&t=24m25s
[/quote]

Don't try and justify your own mistake and possibly poor performance by misanalyzing the work of masters

King Midas had donkey's ears!
If it is not a mistake why does him shown the 4th ball, it is not motivated for what it comes after, he continues talking about 3 balls, no sucker joke or any other comment.
I think it is just a mistake, no big deal.

Also the video is cut, and looks like the collection is low, out of curiosity, can he make a living on pure busking? The show was 30min, how many he can do in a day?
[quote]
On 2013-07-02 10:54, pabloinus wrote:
If it is not a mistake why does him shown the 4th ball, it is not motivated for what it comes after, he continues talking about 3 balls, no sucker joke or any other comment.
[/quote]

Trust us, it's a deliberate move on his part. I myself have seen him do it multiple times over the years.

[quote]

Also the video is cut, and looks like the collection is low, out of curiosity, can he make a living on pure busking? The show was 30min, how many he can do in a day?

[/quote]

With the amount of tip he collects for a single show he doesn't have to do that many turns in a day.
Payne, I trust you, then what is the motivation to show the 4th ball, when Vernon explains that he keeps the ball in the hand or Lenart mixes the card in a sloppy way the motivation is to give the spectator some information than later on is prove incorrect, something different happens.
What is the reason here?,is it mis direction, Am I missing something ? please understand this is candid question.

I alwas found Gazzo a little bit harsh in the way he treats the spectator for my taste, however in this performace
I really enjoy it, witty and quick, and he made me laugh.

Pablo
The fourth ball drop is simply a "throw away" gag that he uses from time to time to lighten the mood and remind spectators that things aren't exactly what they seem. Consider it a diversion, a "red herring" if you will. At that point in the routine, they start suspecting. Once the people see an extra ball and he takes it out of play, they think "Now what is going to do?" and he proceeds to fool them all over again, using the same ball!

Several others have used this sort of misdirection to good effect. Vernon throwing away the "broken ring", Harry Anderson doing the same thing, tossing the broken ring to his wife and she returning the "replacement" back to him. P&T does this with the TT, revealing it to the audience and then fooling them all over again with it.
Ok, thank you Dave
Gazzo doesn't make mistakes. If he did....he did it on purpose....so it's not really a mistake then. Even if he didn't mean to make a mistake, and he made a mistake, he would make it funnier and more amazing than what was supposed to happen.
Gazzo doesn't make mistakes, he makes mi$take$.
Message: Posted by: Josh the Superfluous (Jul 6, 2013 03:04PM)
On the subject of mistakes in general: Everyone does it at some point. But the pros continue along, and sometimes make it a highlight. The people in the audience that mater, want you to succeed. And a good vocabulary of slights can be helpful.
[quote]
On 2013-07-02 14:57, Payne wrote:
Trust us, it's a deliberate move on his part. I myself have seen him do it multiple times over the years.
[/quote]

Maybe he keeps doing the same mistake. That wouldn't be unheard of :)

P!
What, are we looking for an argument here?
[quote]
On 2013-07-08 12:03, Ray Haining wrote:
[/quote]

You must be new here lol
[quote]
On 2013-07-08 14:27, Matthew_Majere wrote:
[quote]
On 2013-07-08 12:03, Ray Haining wrote:
[/quote]

You must be new here lol
[/quote]

Another "coffee spewing out of my nose all over the keyboard" moment.
I've known Gazzo since his time at Faneuil Hall in Boston... have taken lessons from him and attended many, Many, MANY lectures.... he doesn't make mistakes.
[quote]
On 2013-07-02 10:54, pabloinus wrote:

[/quote]

It's a throwaway gag, as some have already explained. Gazzo's "motivation" and the motivation of other magicians may be two completely different things. He usually does this when he knows magicians are watching, by the way.

And he does make a living purely from busking. He does sell a few pouches, etc., but his chief income is his street show.
I know he used to do that bit but and I also notice that later he stopped doing it... at least on the videos I've seen.
My guess was that he cut that bit from the act as he felt it was no longer necessary or important.

Without asking him, I would say this thread is a perfect example of why he doesn't come here.

Yes, he did it on purpose.
I saw someone once slip up and reveal a 4th cup ?

m123