(Close Window)
Topic: Atlas' s "The Real Thing" and "Prodigal"
Hi everyone. I'm interested to know what anyone (who performs with the methods) thinks of Atlas' s "The Real Thing" and "Prodigal"? I'm looking at possibly purchasing one of the downloads, but wanted to get thoughts fromthose who use them. I'm looking to expand more on my show and I think these would be great to learn, put in the practice and perform. Your thoughts on either?

Thanks gang,

Ses
Both are worth every penny. (Unlike something I wasted a load of cash on today)

Atlas is a great thinker.
Why not get Crusade as well?
Then you have three fantastic things that will keep you happy for life.

can't go wrong with any of his stuff.

Steve
If I had to pick one though, it'd be the prodigal. That's just my preference, they are all great books,

Regards,

Sea
May I also add my thanks to Steve for, yes, his insight.

But I'll thank him more if he'll share with us the item he wasted a load of cash on today?
Both The Prodigal and The Real Thing are great.

I'd start with The Prodigal though. For me, it is a must have reference for every mentalist.
If I had a penny for every piece of crap mentalism I bought.......
... you could stop working ...
I'm curious to know what you think of Banachek's "Psycholigal Sublties 1"? I've been thinking of possibly getting that as well.

Thanks everyone for your help,

Ses
Although I praise what IMHO are good things that have been brought to market, I don't often do the opposite when something that I feel is less than ideal comes out.

There is one argument that magicians can help magicians by advising them what NOT to buy, as much (if not more so) than advising on what they SHOULD buy.

However....
I have had enough experiences where I've taken what others have called crap, and made very good use of it. So it could just be my opinion that item X is not much use.
Plus...
"If you can't say something nice......" well, you know the rest.

Steve
Thank you Steve.

Ses
I get your argument Steve, but if we universalised it we'd all be at the mercy of every magic dealer and their increasingly puffed up claims and percentage of poor releases.

Personally, I think it is much healthier to have a rich plurality of views from " this is c***" to "this is genius" and all points inbetween. Then buyers can make a considered decision.

But I absolutely respect your decision never to criticise anything. I know others take the same approach.
Thanks for the kind words gentlemen - they are much appreciated.

Best,

Atlas
I can vouch for The Prodigal. I haven't read The Real Thing.
[quote]
On 2013-07-07 19:22, sescarny wrote:
I'm curious to know what you think of Banachek's "Psycholigal Sublties 1"? I've been thinking of possibly getting that as well.

Thanks everyone for your help,

Ses
[/quote]

I'd consider it a must have book. When I first got into mentalism this was one of the first books I read, which was a mistake. The quality of the content flew over my head until I had a better understanding of mentalism in general.
Just one question, the method does only works for english-speaking acts or can it be applied to other languages such as italian or spanish?
thanks a lot!
The methods in both books are suitable for any language, however the books and effects within them are in English and so you would have to adapt them to another language. The real thing might also have cultural differences to consider as well as language. Both books are fantastic as is psychological subtleties and as mentioned by Stephen the crusade. The crusade is a single knockout effect, the other books contain principles that can be used to create a variety of effects. If you want to perform prop less mentalism, the prodigal, real thing, psychological subtleties and the naked mentalism series will give you a lot of tools to work with.

Mark
I just bought the Prodigal a couple of days ago and I really like it, some of the examples work perfectly in Germany and I guess in any other country, too.
I love Atlas work ! He is a great thinker. Crusade and The Prodigal are good but my favorite is The Real Thing because, really, it is ! :) Love to perform this one. And as Mark says, with adaptations, it can suits for other languages. I perform it in french. And I want to say Atlas is very kind and helpful. If you need advices, pm him.

Luccky
[quote]
On 2014-01-12 18:04, maggus wrote:
Just one question, the method does only works for english-speaking acts or can it be applied to other languages such as italian or spanish?
thanks a lot!

[/quote]

The Prodigal can be applied to Spanish but most of the provided effects will need you to rework Them.
Use principles from the prodigal in Dutch (!) no problem whatsoever and great responses too
I bought the prodigal. Perfect for any language. There is also available an an***** generator form Atlas' website which is perfect for saving time when thinking about your own effects, it perfectly works on other languages.
Recommended!!
Thanks very much my friends! It was nice - and surprising - to see this thread pop up again, and it is great to see that the book appears to have made a difference, especially as that is what I'd set out to do when I wrote it. I'm very pleased to see so many more advocates for this method, and I hope those numbers continue to swell.

Thanks again!

Best,

Atlas
I own both book, enjoyed The Real Thing but LOOOVE the Prodigal. It really breathed life into something I hadn't ever considered seriously. I've used the principles in there to create many effects, and the beauty is that I could tailor the effect to the occasion (board games in a game convention, and so on). The Prodigal is a must!
I've had both The Real Thing and Prodigal for a while now.
But only yesterday got my hands on the physical book for the book test.

This will sit very nicely alongside my Area book test.

Great work as always from Atlas.

steve
Thanks Steve!

I'm very pleased that you like my book test. I'd always felt that it sort of flew under the radar.

And thanks to you as well Marco. Board games, eh? Did you use it at Gen Con?

Best,

Atlas
I love the Real Thing. It approaches real mind reading. Clever and very effective.
The real thing and prodigal are phenomenal purchases! I love to use them and do on an almost daily basis
How suitable would these be for someone new to mentalism?
I'd start with the prodigal if you are fairly new to mentalism.

Mark
Thanks Mark I'll take a closer look at the Prodigal, I feel a spending session coming on.
Ok I bit the bullet and bought The Prodigal, looks like some serious bedtime reading but I do like Atlas teaching style.
I like the newspaper test provided on The Prodigal. I also have an idea to incorporate the technique to reveal a thought of word from a poem. :)

S.H.
Is Prodigal avaialble in hard copy and where? Thank you.
I am interested in buying the hard copy of these books of Atlas, are they still available somewhere?

Please, PM the link if there is such opportunity.
Thanks for your interest gents.

You can pick them up by clicking the link under my signature.

Best,

Atlas
Thanks Atlas.
Thank you Atlas!
I love the Prodigal... I've been using the Super Hero Branching Anagram. I love it... I love Atlas' way of thinking. His Penguin lecture was excellent!
Thanks very much Tommy - I'm pleased you enjoyed it.

Best,

Atlas
I agree with Tommy. The Penguin Lecture was outstanding!
Owning the lecture, how many additional BA's are provided in the Prodigal? Are they weaker or stronger than the ones in the lecture ? Example topics ?
[quote]On Aug 17, 2015, magic maniac wrote:
Owning the lecture, how many additional BA's are provided in the Prodigal? Are they weaker or stronger than the ones in the lecture ? Example topics ? [/quote]

Yes, I own the Penguin Lecture and it's amazing, and I'm thinking of getting the prodigal as well, can anyone comment on how much depth the prodigal has over the lecture?

Sean
The book offer more clever way to apply the method and other BA :)
[quote]On Jan 17, 2016, Tempesta wrote:
[quote]On Aug 17, 2015, magic maniac wrote:
Owning the lecture, how many additional BA's are provided in the Prodigal? Are they weaker or stronger than the ones in the lecture ? Example topics ? [/quote]

Yes, I own the Penguin Lecture and it's amazing, and I'm thinking of getting the prodigal as well, can anyone comment on how much depth the prodigal has over the lecture?

Sean [/quote]

Yes I was curious about this as well. Don't want to buy both right now but love the SuperHero effect.
Anyone who owns Prodigal and is willing to help me with something, please let me know!

I don't want to expose the method here so I'm sorry for not sharing more info, but basically I need help with an idea that I'm working on using the methods in Prodigal.

Thanks!