(Close Window)
Topic: Jaque's Cups and Balls Revolution
Trailer doesn't help ( you can watch Al Schneider, be blown away and have no clue how he did any of it ).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=DJKX3Cd3s08

" 5 easy-to-perform and completely new passes. This is truly the New Generation of Cups and Balls. 3 minutes packed full of transformations, transportations and disappearances. Without gimmicks, magnets or any kind of rigging".
This trailer is absolutely the WORST advertisement I have ever seen for a cups and balls routine.
Café Member Steve Hook found this for us:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75drN_5hEcc
Bill, you never saw the trailer I put together for my routine. Bet it's worse. When you get a chance could you watch the link Zombie posted above this one? The guy has some chops. I don't smell a revolution, but it's an original routine.

Zombie, what did you think of the routine? I'm torn . . .
[quote][i]On 2013-07-11 01:51, Bill Palmer wrote...[/i]

This trailer is absolutely the WORST advertisement I have ever seen for a cups and balls routine.[/quote]
Yep. Years ago when people started making lost-dog posters and garage sale posters with their newly obtained computer poster making software, they checked the list of available fonts and said, [i]"Wow, I'll use that font... and that one... and that and that and that.... and this funny one for the title... and that cute one for numbers..."[/i] And playing with fonts became much more important than communicating. [i]"Who cares if nobody can actually read the Old English text? I think it looks cool!"[/i] Same thing is happening with video production today. [i]"Those effects plug-ins came with the video software and by golly I'm going to use them... all of them!"[/i]

When someone is trying to sell something and gives it no higher regard than a garage sale, I'm willing to accept their assessment of its value. ;)

Greg
Te second video was [b]TERRIFIC...[/b] Well done. Thanks for posting.
I actually liked the second video, nice flow, some interesting sleights, not sure if I need to buy the dvd with all what I already have, but it could work for somebody else.
[quote]
On 2013-07-11 02:51, Zombie Magic wrote:

[/quote]

Looks pretty good. A little too jerky/hand washy to me though. Just my personal performance preference.
I agreed the advertisement was over done on the software plug-ins. But I thought the performance video was very good.
Loved the routine, didn't like the constantly provocative attitude of the performer.
Very interesting blend of Ross Bertram cup revolving in the hand to screen or load a ball (that I had already used in Magic From France in The Joe Stevens Greater Magic Video Library) completed wth a hand to hand toss a la Johnny Paul. Either Jaque reinvented it or rediscovered this forgotteen technique by Ross Bertram. CThe structure of the routine is definitely original and supplies the deception that Jaque expected.

So sincere congratulations on the routine with regrets on the acting and showmanship. As Dai Vernon used to highlight: "when there is challenge, there is no magic"
I saw nothing in the first video – worst like any others product videos.
But the second is really smooth.
I will most likely buy this, from what I see on the second video.
I saw the first video earlier this week and had the same reaction as you guys.
Typos (rutinne) and bad grammar (prepare to be witness) in the trailer, but a nice routine in the second video. This was edited by someone who didn't see or trust in the magic of the performance and wanted to make it flashy to make it sell. I don't blame the magician, I blame the video person.
This is definitely a much better video. If I felt that I could do this and look natural with it, I would buy it.

Nice work!

[quote]
On 2013-07-11 03:58, kentfgunn wrote:
Bill, you never saw the trailer I put together for my routine. Bet it's worse. When you get a chance could you watch the link Zombie posted above this one? The guy has some chops. I don't smell a revolution, but it's an original routine.

Zombie, what did you think of the routine? I'm torn . . .
[/quote]
I didn't care for it. The revolving and tossing are overused, and it becomes obvious what's going on after a while. A lot of the same moves repeated. The color changing ball was good. So was the first load. I'd call his manner more self-satisfied. (Aren't I clever? Bet that one fooled you.)
[quote]
On 2013-07-13 09:44, Ray Haining wrote:
I didn't care for it. The revolving and tossing are overused, and it becomes obvious what's going on after a while. A lot of the same moves repeated. The color changing ball was good. So was the first load. I'd call his manner more self-satisfied. (Aren't I clever? Bet that one fooled you.)
[/quote]

That's exactly how I felt.
I also meant to say that the splitting of the single cup into two was good. I didn't see that one coming.
I just saw the complete routine and I think I saw a couple moves that are so nice and nit that it’s a crime to overdo them….(may be it’s just my taste)
I agree with the general flow of opinion here: acting is too challenging, some nifty sleights done very smoothly, many bits overdone and repetitious. On the whole I would also add that it's a bit long and could use some structure. Quite "gymnastic" - reminds of most Hindu routines - jumpy and seemingly random in what comes next.

I'm starting to think that a good C&B routine is like a puzzle or clever riddle: the elements are clear and easily understood; it's how they are assembled that teases the mind.
I saw the second trailer first and was immensely impressed. I saw the first trailer when I went to buy the dvd and was immediately talked out of it. Lots of good ideas though.
What kind of cups are those? Foxy's?
[quote]
On 2013-07-11 02:51, Zombie Magic wrote:

[/quote]
I just didn't care for what I was seeing - couldn't get through the video without boredom setting in. Confusion isn't magic. There was simply too much useless movement.
But is there some value ,not to his performance or routine,but to the moves he is teaching? It only costs $15.
Give it a go, and let us know? All looks fairly explicable, but that's with my magic goggles on...
Some good moves in there. Even if you add just one little touch to your routine, it's worth $15.
[quote]
On 2013-12-07 22:16, Ray Haining wrote:
Some good moves in there. Even if you add just one little touch to your routine, it's worth $15.
[/quote]

That was my exact thought - & if anyone is wondering, I am pretty sure the cups being used in the demo can be found here: http://elcubilete.es/CUBILETE/INICIO.html
I would add that even if you don't get anything from this to add to your routine, it is worthwhile, if you are into to the cups and balls, to have as many performances and interpretations as possible. This is one more, which does have some interesting moves.
Very nice.
Most people here are judging his style of performance, his acting and doing some moves over and over and over. see this 2nd video as a learning proces in the art of cups and balls. there are some nice moves and maybe you can use one or two. the object of the video is to show what you can do with it. learn and use them in your own way.
His technique is fun to watch. Very smooth. As a routine, I thought it was pretty confusing. And I'm not a fan of loading the cups below the table surface, which he was doing. But what do I know? He's light years ahead of me with the cups.
[quote]
On 2013-07-13 09:44, Ray Haining wrote:
[/quote]

agreed
Message: Posted by: Nate The Magician (Dec 14, 2013 01:04AM)
I've been utilizing small pieces of his routine as a crowd-gatherer because it doesn't mess with my initial loads in two cups- people seem rather impressed with it. As for doing the routine? Not a good idea, IMHO.

It kind of reminds me of Aldo Colombini's routine- designed to be different than most magicians' routines, designed to look flashy, lots of movement, disconnected- with the exception that this has final loads
I like his routine, I think if there are one or two things you can learn then it is worth it.
I've owned this for a while now and I'm just now interested in looking back at it, so it's an interesting coincidence that this thread has reawakened. I agree that I wouldn't want to learn and perform the routine; however, there are some smaller pieces that I think I can learn from.
Does the flow of the routine strike anyone else as being low on entertainment. It seems almost like if you slowed down to tell a joke that you might lose the affect on the spectator. I could be off base here it just seems as the pacing of this routine is what makes it seem more "amazing"
I like the routine as it is fantastic but it seems like adapting it to your personality might be challenging.
I'm on a bit of a Cups and Balls quest at the moment so was pleased to have a look at this. Ultimately, it's not a routine that would suit my style - but I'm a firm believer that the best way to create your own routine is to build on the work of others, so I still saw this as a relatively inexpensive piece of research if you're interested in creating your own routine. You can read my full review here: http://www.bicycle-cards.co.uk/2018/09/06/jaque-the-cups-and-balls-revolution-review/
I do not wish to put down a routine that obviously had a great deal of work and effort put to it, but the presentation does need some work, for it was a bit overwhelming.

Much would be improved if he used balls that were contrasted to his shirt. Many times, the mini baseballs are washed out, becoming invisible, only to be seen when his tie moves behind it.

I also did not care for the cuts in the video, for they looked too much like the cups were being loaded between takes. I agree, the cuts to his facial expressions were overdone as well. I too kept thinking of the quote stating that "confusion is not magic".

Slow down so that we can see your beautiful moves and flourishes. Show each one once, then move on.
Tap a new cameraman.
Most importantly, keep up the work you have put into it!
Hello friends, seven years later I have a new, more refined version of the routine.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISJWT_KE6cg&list=PLRQYd5d_T2kjFKZg_iIlQIBUelniY9GT_&index=1&ab_channel=MagoJaque
It is not the final one, I keep working to try to improve.
Thanks for watching the video and for your comments.
Magician Jaque
Some very interesting moves, but (for me) the routine comes off as a skill demonstration rather than an experience of magic.

Theatrically there should be tension and release. For strong magic; anticipation, surprise, acquitments

But, who cares? Revolution? It is different, but where is the magic?

For today's audience this may be very well received and considered very magical. Most have no good magic to compare with,
and they desire to be entertained over having an a'wonder experience. I often err by being too much magic and not enough "low attention" entertainment.

Trying to help, but not sure what to specifically suggest. It just doesn't sit right with me.
[quote]On Sep 18, 2020, Jaque wrote:
Hello friends, seven years later I have a new, more refined version of the routine.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISJWT_KE6cg&list=PLRQYd5d_T2kjFKZg_iIlQIBUelniY9GT_&index=1&ab_channel=MagoJaque
It is not the final one, I keep working to try to improve.
Thanks for watching the video and for your comments.
Magician Jaque [/quote]
I liked your first routine, but I LOVE this one.
Very well built, not too long, not boring, the spectator can easily follow what is happening.
And, yes, as a magician, your technique is impressive and your moves are original.
A huge bravo.

I totally disagree with the above comment saying this doesn't feel magical.
To me it feels like a magical dance.