(Close Window)
Topic: Card Chicken
The Magic Circle Museum has a newly formed exhibit with the history of the card with varying examples...a Card Rooster/Chicken has just arrived and is going in to the display.

There are no makers marks and no instructions came with it. The prop feels quite contemporary rather than of vintage manufacture. Given the way that it is made it also does not feel like a one-off custom build, so must be a dealer item.

Does anyone know the maker so that we can place an accurate description alongside the prop in the vitrine?

Thanks again for all your help with this one.

regards

Scott
Here is a photo
Great trick, the photo disappeared :)
The photo does not seem to want to upload George.

However, mystery solved, via another source...we have the answer. The company who made it was Trickmaster.

regards

Scott
Being a serious collector of card ducks, I should really like to look at that picture of the card chicken. Could you be so kind as to attach it to an eMail to me? Thank you.

rhett.bryson@furman.edu
Hi Rhett

Can you tell me anything about a vintage Hamilton Card Duck (no hallmark) that has a provision for the duck to lay an egg?

Julie
Email sent to you Rhett. Thanks for your interest.

As for the Hamilton duck that lays an egg that Julie makes reference too, that sounds like the Country Cousin duck with a checkered design on the side. The duck also came with a straw hat at a feather plume for the tail.

We have one in our exhibit at The Magic Circle.

regards

Scott
Hi Scott

Yep, I am familiar with the Country Duck. However, this one is a regular ol' Hamilton model with egg laying talents. :)

Julie
The country duck was marketed as Gwendolyn, made famous by Senator Crandall
The Country Duck was marketed as The Country Duck by Owens. :)

Julie
I believe Magic Inc. predated the Owen's model.

Richard
Hello Richard et al :)

Ireland's (much later Magic Inc.) Card Duck was indeed the original conception. Having said that, however, Ireland's "duck" had only a vague resemblance to the card duck we know today. The apparatus itself was gigantic by comparison with a very long, straight wooden neck and dinner spoons for the beak etc. (I owned one eons ago.)

Julie