(Close Window)
Topic: Coin Rolls
I've been practicing on and off for a few years. I can get it to roll on my index and middle by now but it usually falls apart after that. I know doing other things when you have a coin palmed can help with some effects but how do you apply that principle to coin rolls. Or is it just not meant for everybody.
When you wrote that you "can get it to roll on my index and middle by now"--does that mean you can get the coin only halfway across the back of your fingers?

Here are some tips from the way I do the coin roll:
1) Keep the fingers of the hand curled half-closed in a loose fist. I know some magicians do the coin roll with the fingers slightly extended, but I prefer a loose fist. I learned the move from Henry Hay's _Amateur Magician's Handbook_ and the photos and text give a good explanation.
2) Although I start out with the back of the fingers pretty much parallel to the floor, about midway across the fingers, my hand tilts slightly at the little finger end to allow gravity to help not only move the coin but to get it moving at a nice (pardon the expression) clip.
3) When it gets to the little finger, clip a little more of the coin than you did with the other fingers by reaching the little finger a little higher than you did with the other fingers.. This will allow you to pull the coin down so that most of it is below the fingers where the thumb can clip the coin and drag it across the inside of the fingers to the start point again.

I hope this helps a little.

----- Sonny
Can anyone explain to me why when I posted the message above the words "photo" and "clip the" turned blue and were underlined like they're a hyperlink? Somehow they become hyperlinks that generate pop-up messages about advertisement for things like iPads and such.

----- Sonny
Sonny,
If it helps - I don't see any blue text on my presentation of your message (using Firefox browser). It doesn't sound good - if it were me, I'd run a virus check to see if something's causing ad links to be created. (I don't mean to be an alarmist, but it never hurts to run a virus check anyway.)

Larry S.
Same here... no problem. It is likely in your computer or browser. Whatever anti virus software you have, make sure it also has anti ad-ware and anti spy-ware features. You can also download free versions of these (Ad-aware, Spybot, etc.)

To the OP... Sonny's advice is really good. Everything he described, I instinctively do when I do a coin roll. When I was first learning, I found it helpful to NOT watch the process, but to FEEL it. It is definitely a knack, but can be learned by most people, I think. Just keep working on it until you develop a certain amount of "muscle memory". Speed comes once the hands go on autopilot.
It could be added that the size of coin makes a difference when first learning. Being Canadian we have a quarter, loonie & toonie. Each of the three coins gets just a bit bigger in diameter.
[quote]
On 2013-07-26 09:14, Anatole wrote:
When you wrote that you "can get it to roll on my index and middle by now"--does that mean you can get the coin only halfway across the back of your fingers?

Here are some tips from the way I do the coin roll:
1) Keep the fingers of the hand curled half-closed in a loose fist. I know some magicians do the coin roll with the fingers slightly extended, but I prefer a loose fist. I learned the move from Henry Hay's _Amateur Magician's Handbook_ and the photos and text give a good explanation.
2) Although I start out with the back of the fingers pretty much parallel to the floor, about midway across the fingers, my hand tilts slightly at the little finger end to allow gravity to help not only move the coin but to get it moving at a nice (pardon the expression) clip.
3) When it gets to the little finger, clip a little more of the coin than you did with the other fingers by reaching the little finger a little higher than you did with the other fingers.. This will allow you to pull the coin down so that most of it is below the fingers where the thumb can clip the coin and drag it across the inside of the fingers to the start point again.

I hope this helps a little.

----- Sonny
[/quote]
Yea precisely I can get it halfway thru beginning with my thumb but my ring finger gets a little fidgety at times. If I can get it across the ring and pinky I would almost have it. Thanks for the tips I will spend sometime trying them out then post an update
Remember, you are not "pushing" the coin over the top so much as you're pulling it down with the next knuckle. Also, it never travels over the pinky, it gets pulled down between the pinky and third finger and caught by the thumb. I hope that makes sense and is of some help.
[quote]
On 2013-07-26 14:22, wandboy wrote:
It could be added that the size of coin makes a difference when first learning. Being Canadian we have a quarter, loonie & toonie. Each of the three coins gets just a bit bigger in diameter.
[/quote]

What I was getting at before may help. When you find the size of coin which feels best, practice with a size which doesn't feel as good, whether it be smaller or larger. In theory this practice with a coin which you find less comfortable should make it easier with the coin which feels just right. Hope that makes sense.