(Close Window)
Topic: Busker expiry dates...
I was watching one of my Gazzo DVD's the other day and something he said stuck in my head, he said busking is a young man's game.

What do you think about that? Do you think there is an expiry date for street performers, I wonder what is the age where the show and/or hat starts to decline.

I know a lot could be said about getting burnt out, but what about people who are older but who aren't burnt out, is there still an age when the expiry date for these street performing has been reached?

I'm guessing most people will say if your show is still entertaining then keep going (which is my personal view too) but I wonder if there are any older folk here who feel that at a certain age the street just doesn't work any more....or maybe there are younger people here who have an opinion about when the older guys should give it up. In any case, I'm interested to see what people have to say.
Message: Posted by: The Great Zoobini (Jul 30, 2013 12:35AM)
1953 vintage = 60
69, not as many shows but still in the game
You "vintage" performers are giving me hope. Forty-cough-five-cough here, and just starting. :)
Funny, but I´ve found, as I got/get older; I have less hassle on the streets.
Fewer hecklers.
Fewer, "Move! Now!!" ´s

I´m not sure if it has to do with my age?
,.. if society is getting more peaceful?
,... or if I project less agression?

I wish I still had the strength of my youth,
...and the hair.
,but if I could turn it back,
I´d ONLY do so,
if I could take the Experiences,
the Stories,
the Friends,
and my lady.

,it´s a good ride.

gallagher
The act changes (less manipulation due to arthritis) and the shoes are more sensible. But then I'm 70. Doing it less and less simply because I'd rather race the motorcycle. The small town fairs and festivals still draw me. Like Paddy, not as many shows but still building the odd edge.
I'll be 58 this year. I only just started a few years ago. I'm certainly less likely to go out for 8 to 10 hours a day, but I still go out.
[quote]
On 2013-07-30 09:55, Yekrats wrote:
You "vintage" performers are giving me hope. Forty-cough-five-cough here, and just starting. :)
[/quote]
I started when I was 54. Learned balloons, then magic and started busking in one year. Slowed down in 2004 when I had a 4 way bypass and again the first of May when I had my last heart attack. Little slower now
Paddy, that is great news. It means I can hold off getting out there for another year.
[quote]Top Man
On 2013-07-30 08:54, Paddy wrote:
69, not as many shows but still in the game
[/quote]
70. And I started performing magic seriously only 5 years back - most of it part-time on the streets - after having a childhood interest. I get tired after some 3-4 hours on my feet all the time, and sore, and after I knock off I go back to my station wagon and each a lunch then sleep for 1/2 hour to 1 hour, then drive 3/4 hour home. I don't have much energy spare by the time I get home.
I once skipped the sleep and briefly fell asleep at the wheel - hit a sloping kerb [most of the road doesn't have one] and woke up and managed to keep the car mostly on the road and got it back onto the road o.k. and continued a few more kilometres then pulled over for a nap.
I learnt my lesson - after my street work I always take a short or long nap before driving back home.
49 and loving it more and more.
I'm 58 and no that I can no longer work at my regular job due to cancer, I plan on doing some. The way I have performed in truckstops while working asan over the road trucker for the last 20 years is very similar to busking. Would sit at a table doing flourishes and shuffles till someone asked if I was a card shark or something and I would just tell them I was a magician and I am breaking in a new deck. "Wow, show me a trick" then the tables come together, the crowd slowly grew, my dinner tab was picked up and a few tips flew. Kind of the same I imagine.
50 here and loving it also.

I think it depends on your level of health. If as you get older you don't do things differently- eat healthier, exercise, manage stress etc. then your abilities and stamina must decline. Also your mental attitude has a lot to do with it.
I just got back to entertaining after I lost my job and amazingly my outlook has never been better. At my job I was talking more and more about how "I was getting old". Now even though I'm "unemployed" I'm happier, have more energy and feel younger.
Depends on the individual I guess.
All of these posts are wonderful and your stories are very inspirational. although perhaps part of the point that I think Gazzo was trying to make might be missed. I'm pretty sure gazzo is talking about the full time professional street act who travels the world perhaps working faires festivals gatherings and street corners. europe and US/canada in the spring and summer then Australia in their summer which is the northern hemisphere winter. street acts follow the sun and after 25 or 30 years of crashing on couches campgrounds or under the stars eating your meals out of flat boxes and not seeing your family for months perhaps years at a time while flying around the world and then doing shows sometimes in two or three different countries a week if not a day when working europe takes a huge toll on the body mind and soul. a man misses a lot less when he is 25 than he does when he is 55 and at 55 a man usually has a lot more to miss including his youth. I do not think there is anyone alive today performing magic on the street who has given more and left more of themselves on the street than gazzo. the man is a warrior and if he says its a young mans game I know I believe him and I reckon it stands to reason if you think about it.
If you have been on the streets for more than 20 yrs you are called a 'Lifer ' in Busking lingo

so gazo is a lifer , the show he does is all he knows, Since his stroke he has been able to bounce

back ( sortt of ?) Sadly because of the stroke he was Forced to mjarket his show which every Kid & his mother is Now doing

But that is what he does and the show he does period. Mario morris is in his late 40s

Jim Cellini Busked into his 60 s , and thank goodness was able to put his knowledge in to the Wonderful Royal Touch Book

Jeff Sheridan is busking in still and he's well into mid 60s , Bob Maverick is in his late 40 s .

so mid 60s seem the be the answere to this topic.
Message: Posted by: The Great Zoobini (Aug 11, 2013 10:15AM)
[quote]
On 2013-07-29 07:39, Zuke wrote:

Do you think there is an expiry date for street performers, I wonder what is the age where the show and/or hat starts to decline.

I know a lot could be said about getting burnt out, but what about people who are older but who aren't burnt out, is there still an age when the expiry date for these street performing has been reached?

[quote]
The Great Zoobini wrote:
[/quote]
[/quote]

Uh...that was a joke and not my age. :rolleyes:
I am Busking at the Age of 59 Keep going to the End of the long road ...may all your days be Busking Days
I worked school assemblies until I was 76. Assembly bureau tours are a lot like busking. (In conditions the performer contends with, etc.) The only real difference is that you work inside (most of the time!) and you don't need to hat the tip.!!!
I never grew up, I just grew old; but my motivation and thinking is still of a young guy.

I perform with Dan, my vent figure with no problems working the head

My fingers no longer function as they did when I was young, so I don’t perform complicated coin tricks, but I do perform Scotch & Soda, the Invisible Deck and Industrial Relations to name a few perfectly.

I can still perform a three shell game and cups & balls, stack of quarters and more advanced illusions using Christopher Taylor’s and Promystic products.

I will continue to modify my routines to suit my ability and perform until the day I die and never consider myself “OLD”
50 here. Been clowning since 2003.
Howie wrote: I never grew up, I just grew old; but my motivation and thinking is still of a young guy.
That's a great view on life, and it's my approach, too. I spent some 35 years school teaching 5,6,7 year olds and it suited me fine and helped and helps me enjoy entertaining kids whether toddlers or teenagers. And one of my activities I enjoy is pedalling my bike - 70 years old, but feels like I'm a teenager when I have fun on my pushbike. I do have to watch my coordination, or rather, the declining coordination.
Guys,
it´s simply a matter
of proper maintenance.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gallagherhayes/9599159651/in/set-72157635248224638

givin´ it easy,
gallagher.
http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20090619204944/malf/images/8/85/Neelix2.jpg&imgrefurl=http://malf.wikia.com/wiki/Neelix&h=800&w=542&sz=92&tbnid=iDUOHrnurvmQPM:&tbnh=99&tbnw=67&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dstar%2Btrek%2Bneelix%26tbm%3Disch%26tbo%3Du&zoom=1&q=star+trek+neelix&usg=__LWURCofnRF8mgwW_fXvBUhKS-EU=&docid=eO0UVEglicmsVM&sa=X&ei=CDEcUsLvBKuh4AP_jIHoBA&sqi=2&ved=0CDQQ9QEwAw&dur=2536#imgdii=iDUOHrnurvmQPM%3A%3B6L1XO3YAH5bXEM%3BiDUOHrnurvmQPM%3A

Neelix is that you?
I just think street performing is extremely hard on the body. I hope to retire some day.
Thanks MagiCol, I was begining to think I was the only one left thinking I was the way I am
[quote]
On 2013-08-27 05:02, scottyocean wrote:
I just think street performing is extremely hard on the body. I hope to retire some day.
[/quote]

Scott;

street performing can be extremely hard on the body if you're still performing the same way you performed in your 20's

I have figured out ways to transport my tricks on wheeled carts and not beat my body up.

I also change the tricks I perform so I don't get bored while working; I do tricks that excite me and it shows, as soon as I don't like the trick any longer I change it.

Lately I have been using remote control illusions and promystic items that are easy and lite that really get the spectators confused

I Hope this helps
One thing [among others!] that has happened is that with increasing age I'm conscious of the weight of such things as a full water bottle, a backpack, and the like. And sometimes I don't lift my feet high enough onto a stair - giving potential to trip forward up the stairs. I was busking a week or two back at a market and at the site next to me was a fellow of about 80, I'd guess. As he saw me doing my Magic Shows and balloon twisting he remarked a couple of times about the amount of energy I was expending. He didn't know how I could keep it up. Mind you, after 4 hours of busy work I was so tired that after I'd got back to the vehicle, I put my gear into it, had lunch in the seat and then fell asleep for about half an hour. I don't like markets that require you to spend time at the site for the whole period of the day that they are running. I'd busk at the local yearly Field Days [farmer-based Fair] if I could work maybe just 4 hours of a day, but I'm not prepared to spend 8am to 4 pm on site. Too much at my age and stage.
That's a nice thing about busking. You work your own hours and can pick what weather you're prepared to work in - unless it's vital that you get a certain income for yourself.
Iron Butterfly--GOOD EYE!
Iron Butterfly--GOOD EYE!
Well, I started performing at age 13. I'm 81 now and no longer hit the road every fall! I pick up occasional spot dates, just to keep my hand "in", but am keeping busy writing "the book".

As a teenager, working ten in ones with a carnival, I learned about travelling light! About 35 years ago, a phone promoter talked me in to doing a (small) illusion show for a string of phone dates. The tour was successful (I made regular bank deposits) but when I got back to "quarters", I sold the "plywood" and went back to my "tripe and keester" act. (20 lbs, 45 to 60 minute show, 4 minute set up, 2 minute pack up, and workable anywhere, anytime, for anybody.

I'm definitely slowing down (don't want any more 35 week tours of the knowledge boxes!) the fingers have some arthritis, but they still work. The only "mechanical" props are a Pom Pom Stick, and a Mutilated Parasol. (The stick for high schools, and the parasol for elementaries)

Hope to see "you" "down the road"!
Hey Dick,
it nice hearing your stories!
You write,.. with a smile in your words!
,..sounds like you´ve had some fun,..
in the MOST of those 81 years!!

I wish/,. hope me the same,...

Thanks for sharing,.
can´t wait to get an eye in your book(!).

partners in time,
Gallagher Hayes.