(Close Window)
Topic: My clumsy hands
Hello, I have wanted to mix in some card flourishes into my act of sleight of hand. My main issue is I'm horrible at fanning cards!
When I do it with a full deck its not even and not all cards are shown
When I do it with 3 or for cards its not even
Momster what youtube guide I watch I can't do it.
Is their a good book or scourge where I can learn how to do this?

Also I love ones where the cards are in kinda a controlled flight such as the anaconda effect. Is it possible to do without a tampered deck?
What book or DVD should I get to learn it?
Is their a way to Make your own decks like that? (Ex: magictricke.com's electric deck)

Also are their other card moves that look really cool to a stage audience?
Regarding fanning: are you using a fairly new deck of good quality cards? If you're dealing with some worn decks, they're not going to fan as easily, but I find that a new set of Bicycle cards fan like a dream.
Xtreme Beginnerz by Devo vol. 1 & 2 is a great place to start.
You don't mention whether you use fanning powder. Fanning powder and the right cards make all the difference in the world.

I recommend Aviator cards, which is the nearest I can find to the old Bicycle Air Cushion finish. Then use the paper bag technique to apply fanning powder. Nest two paper bags together; drop in the deck; add three or four shakes of fanning powder; close up the bag; shake the bag vigorously; remove cards and straighten them out; riffle shuffle several times to help distribute the powder evenly.

----- Amado "Sonny" Narvaez
What is fanning powder? Could I do the same with other stuff like sugar or flour?
Fanning powder is a powder that helps the cards fan better. (as if you can't figure that out) I have heard that you can use baby powder, but never tried it. If you try it please post the results here. If it does not work though, you can always just get some fanning powder. It is only 5 dollars or so, and in 2 years I have barley made a dent in it.

On a side note: This is my 50th post! :dancing: :applause:
The chemical name for fanning powder is "zinc stearate"
It was once an ingredient in baby powder and talcum powder but IIRC Johnson & Johnson changed their baby powder to remove the zinc stearate for some reason--some kind of adverse effect on a baby's skin.

You might check at your local pharmacy to see if they carry zinc stearate or any kind of powder product that has it as an ingredient. You can probably also find it on-line. A friend of mine back in the 60's bought a huge can of the stuff from a local pharmacy.

But the most convenient and sure-fire way to get it is probably to order it from a magic shop. It's listed at Norm Nielsen's shop here:
http://nnmagic.com/magicitems/manipulationpage.htm
but any decent magic shop should probably carry the Nielsen line if you ask them. Denny and Lee Magic should have it if you email or call them. Denny carries most of the Nielsen line.

----- Sonny
I odnt use fanning powder and rarely have an issue but I open a new deck at least once a week. With any fan its all about even pressure. Just sit down and practice and focus on applying even pressure and eventually you'll get it.