(Close Window)
Topic: Tenyo Crystal Cleaver - reducing the noise
Hi,

Is there any way to reduce the noise when you close the tall box? I'd like to know your method.

Thanks.
Talk!
I usually put the cover down gently first, so I don't don't release the sp...g. Then I say "...and as you can see and hear, it's a solid cover..." while hitting the top of the cover quite hard with my fingertips/nails to release the sp...g. The loud tapping hides all the noice from the gadget.
All the best
/Lelle
Excellent advise. Also put a small piece of foam in the small box where the coin d***s.
Coin?... have you been making your own whiskey again, Killertweety? :)
Sp...g
Mag**t
I just think its so funny that .... Or **** Has become our secret code.
Like the Russians can't crack that code.
Does anyone really think that those who find there way here, taking the trouble to
Read through these posts is fooled by our secret code?
Sorry, I just **** every time I see it
:) :) :)
I was thinking to have some foam too, but what happen if we want or they want to see the purple box? Doesn't it make more suspicious or obvious by sticking a foam inside the box?
[quote]
On 2013-08-15 17:35, cyberdave03 wrote:
Coin?... have you been making your own whiskey again, Killertweety? :)
[/quote]

Lol!
Oh mercy ... I was talking about Crystal Pyramid! Has to do with the thread about it just bellow/beneath this one :P

[quote]
On 2013-08-16 01:36, Failed Magician wrote:
I was thinking to have some foam too, but what happen if we want or they want to see the purple box? Doesn't it make more suspicious or obvious by sticking a foam inside the box?
[/quote]

There are litle round pieces of this plastic/foam you can put under legs of chairs and tables in different colors that won't attrackt attention to them too much I think: http://i-cdn.apartmenttherapy.com/uimages/unplggd/ikea-pad-sz-081710.jpg . Also, actually I never tried it - I've stored my CC in the 'set' position for a long time now and the s***** is just about the length not to make that much of a noise when it p*** u*.

[quote]
On 2013-08-15 23:24, edshern wrote:
Sp...g
Mag**t
I just think its so funny that .... Or **** Has become our secret code.
Like the Russians can't crack that code.
Does anyone really think that those who find there way here, taking the trouble to
Read through these posts is fooled by our secret code?
Sorry, I just **** every time I see it
:) :) :)
[/quote]

You've got a v******e p***t there E*, but the rules of the forum strictly forbid to expose and we all know stuff gets deleted F*** here ;)
Those asterisks just confuse me even more lol.

So how to make the s***** not to make further noise?
All of this is unnecessary. At the moment you lower the cover onto the base, tap the handle of the small sword against the table a few times.

Simple.
One of my favorite. Tenyo effects, have done it many many times never had anyone question a sound. Just do it, any sound is just the sound of anything going into place.
Richard wins... Just Say something, anything! It's doesn't make THAT much noise.
I just set the top on slightly askew and press firmly when lining it up. When moving the cover around to line it up, it makes plenty of noise to cover the sound of the mechanics.
I usually do the following:

I say that I will try to make the crystal box snap. I make a fist and I pretend to hit the top of the tall box (actually I slow down my hand as I approach the top of the box and just press it). That does not eliminate the sound but makes a logical explanation of what is causing it. And they are even more surprised when they examine the cristal box at the end and it is undamaged. I know this might not the way for everyone, but works for me well.
Speaking!

The noise isn't that loud that it can't be overcome by speaking your patter.

I have found that most people have so little an idea of how it's done, even if they hear the noise, it only gives away a "mechanical" explanation; most are still baffled.
Just tap the plastic end of the sword on the table a few times at the same time that you place the cover on.
You can get it here, cheapest price in world.
http://www.maxello.com/index.php?p=3&q=20&c=rb-10154
[quote]
On 2014-01-12 18:39, gimmickless wrote:
[/quote]

Sorry but that 'thing' is absolutely rubbish. I once bought one of these before I started collecting Tenyo and it works maybe a couple of times and then you can throw it away. Pay a couple of bucks more and get the Tenyo version.
Tenyo version is so hard to find
I also got the Asian version when I first started collecting. It was one of my first "Tenyo" tricks. It sure looked the same but as Killer said it worked fine for about five times then broke completelym
The Tenyo version is still being manufactured and you can get it in many online magic stores and on Ebay pretty easily (Magico Japan etc.)
The Tenyo verson of Crystal Cleaver is easy to find. Just look on eBay.
Yes magicojapan have. so I ordered it. but I want the old packing from 1993 :(
[quote]
On 2014-01-13 02:11, Killertweety wrote:
[quote]
On 2014-01-12 18:39, gimmickless wrote:
[/quote]

Sorry but that 'thing' is absolutely rubbish. I once bought one of these before I started collecting Tenyo and it works maybe a couple of times and then you can throw it away. Pay a couple of bucks more and get the Tenyo version.
[/quote]
Several years ago I purchased a knock-off Crystal Cleaver without realizing that there was a difference between it and Tenyo's Crystal Cleaver. After reading Killertweety's post I ordered one from Tenyo. I just received it and I'm glad I did. It is now one of if not my favorite Tenyo! Wow, what a difference!

Thanks for the tip!
Knock offs are always much much worse. I also had a knock off Crystal Cleaver. After 3 performances it has gone wrong. You can get an original for about 20-30 dollars.
Tenyo crystal cleaver wanted.
Tenyo still sells Crystal Cleaver. You can find it from sellers in Japan very easily, and inexpensively.
I see them for sale , but someone told me to buy an original one ??? are they all the same.
Yes, as long as it is made by Tenyo! As Richard mentioned it is easy to find and inexpensive.
Wally

I am not sure if you are kidding by the amount of posts looking for a Tenyo item which is still available, but in case you are not you can buy it here for $16

http://www.mjmmagic.com/store/crystal-cleaver-by-tenyo-magic-trick-p-14326.html?inc_subcat=0&keyword=tenyo%20crystal&search_in_description=1&sort=20a#.UzrOXvldV8E
This says Original??http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Crystal-Cleaver-T-155-ORIGINAL-TENYO-Classic-Magic-Trick-/331132198159 I live in England.
You'll pay less, even with postage, if you order it on eBay from Tokyo Hobby or Magico-Japan. People in the UK seem to think all Tenyo tricks are made of gold and the prices for even common items are ridiculous.
I got an original.
I picked up this effect a few weeks ago and regarding the question of noise, I Completely agree with Ricahrd Kaufman.

To me when housing the cabinet on the base (if done fairly quickly in a relaxed manner) the noise that is heard just sounds like the Cabinet clicking home or into place. Nothing untoward.

Also when pushing down the cleaver the noise heard at this point can easily be explained as the noise of the penetration through the solid box and the Ring. As I push down I sometimes say to Spectators if you listen carefully you will hear the exact point at which the impossible happens and the box and ring is completely severed and then I whip off the cabinet to show that the magic has happened.

I also followed a tip on the Tenyo blog and I have replaced the sword with a ribbon. This is far more magical and gets the audience involved, you get two spectators to hold each end of a 2 foot piece of ribbon. The effect looks even more impossible this way.
Very cool idea. How do you thread the ribbon though the tower?
The idea of using a ribbon was published by Fantasio.
[quote]On Aug 29, 2014, edshern wrote:
Very cool idea. How do you thread the ribbon though the tower? [/quote]

I like the idea, but I'm curious too about the method for passing the ribbon through the tower without too much hesitation.
Regarding the ribbon, I picked up the idea from the Tenyo.co.jp blog. As Richard Kaufman states it was provided by Fantasio and the Tenyo.co.jp blog correctly credits Fantasio.

What the blog doesn't tell you though is how to thread the ribbon through the cabinet. The way that I thread the ribbon is to tape a thin piece of stiff colored card, similar width and length to the sword blade to the end of the ribbon and thread this through.

Also If anyone performs Tenyo Invisible Zone there is a fantastic presentation idea using clay ! on the above blog.
[quote]On Sep 2, 2014, MikeMgc wrote:
Regarding the ribbon, I picked up the idea from the Tenyo.co.jp blog. As Richard Kaufman states it was provided by Fantasio and the Tenyo.co.jp blog correctly credits Fantasio.

What the blog doesn't tell you though is how to thread the ribbon through the cabinet. The way that I thread the ribbon is to tape a thin piece of stiff colored card, similar width and length to the sword blade to the end of the ribbon and thread this through.

Also If anyone performs Tenyo Invisible Zone there is a fantastic presentation idea using clay ! on the above blog. [/quote]

Thanks! I will check this out.
An old post, but..

To me the noise is not inconsequential when in a quiet setting. So I time tapping the base of the cleaver on the top of the box as I talk about both the cleaver and the box are solid objects.

John