(Close Window)
Topic: Fast & loose for children?
I've recently almost fallen in love with the fast & loose chain in all its many styles & different throws/layouts.
I've found & created routines around gambling, but the question is whether there are any routines which would suit children?

All I can think of is just a game of child vs adult. The child always wins & the adult always loses. Unfortunately I'm lost for a story to tell/how to make it into some sort of routine?
What age group? I only play with nine and up, and I never let them win. If they win once, they want to quit and make fun of you. They lose interest quickly if they ever win.
In adult vs child I was meaning against their parents etc

Originally I was thinking of a restuarant, so children would be various ages, but I suppose something just for the children might be nice too.
It's easy to pit one against the other, whether it's a child/parent or husband/wife or two spectators.

One approach I read somewhere (I'd give credit if I could remember) was using a "lucky" token of some sort. Whoever holds the token is the natural winner. You can control the game enough to make this true, and I'm sure you can fit in a child vs. parent scenario easily enough this way.

As Pop says, they lose interest once they win, but if they can beat dear old dad I'll bet you have them hooked for as long as you want them.
I use chef Anton's routine and poem from the SFS fast and loose DVD. Nice rhythm and explains the game well. That'll hook a kid. Works when I used it.
I do the chain for kids all of the time, especially while working festivals. I ask "who wants to win five bucks?" Every kid immediately wants to try. I play it very tongue in cheek, pit kids against each other, let parents win- only kids can win the money though! The parents get a good laugh and the kids go crazy because I joke with them as we all play. They see it as such an easy game and always want "one more try." I play it for 6 and up.
I think it's important to add that I hold the $5 in my hand as we play in the same way it's shown on a SFS shells DVD - wrapped around the middle finger with the bill sticking out of from between the first/middle and the middle/ring fingers. It makes it more real for the kids like they might actually have a chance. I end it with a double figure 8. I have two kids choose one side of each of their 8's. I then say "if either of them win they each win $5. If they both lose the game is over, but I'll do one more amazing trick before I leave." It lets them know tat this trick is over, but I have one more great thing to show them. Then I do a closer for the crowd. It really plays huge.
I used to do this in a Restaurant setting. I was afraid of offending parents having children gamble so I presented it like this. If they win I would give them a note allowing them to miss school and a bottle of their favorite soda. But if they lost they would have to do a chore for their parents. Always got laughs from parents. Then I would follow up with "It's a win win situation a day off from school or do something nice for your parents." Then I let the children take turns till everyone has a chance. Then its followed up by double or nothing no chore. I tried to end before they end up with more than 2 chores and invite them back next week for a rematch. Original to me.
Hi Vanp,

That's a really nice idea!

R
I've often done fast and loose for children I know, but not as a performance piece, as a game to pass the time.

Each time I wave my hand over the string, their luck changes. Sometimes I do it on my own initiative, sometimes because they ask me to.

We keep playing until one of us gets bored and quits. Usually it's me who quits and they keep pestering me to play it every time they see me.

Andru