(Close Window)
Topic: When You're Not Equipped and someone asks you "Float This!"
Hey guys,

I've done a lot of IT performances before.
After I did the Hummingbird card, at a certain time later, when people see me doing card/coin tricks, they'll ask me "Go Float This Card or Coin!"

What are some excuses I can… get out of this?

Thanks.
I say I can only do it when the moon is up, or full whatever works at the moment. But I usually refer to the moon.
Hello Dbzkid,
I have experienced that same problem a couple of times and it's not a nice thing to say, “No”, so it those cases If the spectators walk up to you with, lets say a dollar bill, I have told them something like, "so you like so see it float, ok! Let me show you something even more magical… .” I have then done a bill switch using TT or a stunt with the Stealth pen.

After a couple of experienced like this and a few lectures with Finn Jon later l always carry Loops with me. They are great! You can wear one around your wrist all day, always ready for those "in a moment notice" close-up miracles.

Get some safe routines. I suggest "The bill who falls up" or the Finn Jon version of "Erectile Bill". It's also great for a floating signed card.

So, when you’re not hooked-up with IT, go for Loops when you are asked to perform those impromptu floating routines.
:wavey:

-e-
Like Eirik suggest, you just can't say. “No”. Here is what I'd do. Instead of just saying, "well here is something even better" I'd say, "ok, no problem but I need the right ‘spot’." Have everybody follow you, put the bill (or whatever) on the table, try to make it float and change spot again saying, "It doesn't work each time.” When you say this, you look around trying to see if the conditions are right. Then, offer to do something else. They won't think about failure, as you will offer to do it again when everything is perfect.

Just my 2 cents
Tell them,

"I'm sorry... but I'm just not high enough... I mean... IT'S just not high enough... to fly..."

They'll laugh and you can do something else. :D
You CAN say no, IF it fits your performing persona. I say no in a humorous way. If you really want to be able to say yes, though, just wear a loop wherever you go.

Larry D.
Telling a joke is always a good way to say no. Try to present a "Do as I do" trick, and say, "I guess you're drawing my power away". Also an important point is, not to do something they've expected or requested. You should decide what to do next, not them.
Since magic is based on the element of surprise, by answering to their request, there is no surprise. :wow:
I do say no, but I say it like this: You've already seen that trick? Wasn't it great? When they say yes, I'll say, “But if you see it all of the time it kind of loses it's wonder and I wouldn't want to do that to you. I'll tell you what, I'll show you another time I see you how's that?” People usually respect this and respond well to it. If you give a legit excuse as to why you're not performing it people go with it.
I hold the item in my hand as I do the Balducci levitation.
If I say, “No”, they'll just say "Why? Need your equipment?"
A good quote from someone in the Café, "First time is performance, second time is lesson. And I don't give free lessons."

I think you show your friends too much too soon. Don't let them think magic is some free entertainment or puzzles to solve. Stop performing for them and find other audiences.
"Huh, What was that? I'm sorry, you want me to what?...Huh? I'm deaf. I'm sorry, I can't hear what you are asking me. But wait, check this out!"… :)

Ok, I know you all aren't deaf like me but this always works..:lol:

Seriously though, there have already been some god suggestions here. I think the two main ways out of this situation is to either do something else that blows them away so they forget about what they actually asked you to do. Or to use another method of making things float. There are plenty of other methods out there. Not all of them are very good but as I'm sure you know even "bad" tricks can be good at the right moment. If I didn't have an ITR on me (which is hardly never... :lol: ) I'd probable do a Balducci or something. Or maybe the simple levitation of an object with a T-tip.
I think the best way out of this is to have your ITR on you if you’re in a situation where you might perform. If you're not there to perform then just don't perform anything. Then it's perfectly fine to just say, "I'm not working now but here's my card", or something like that.

Now, it may seem like I'd be the last person to say this because I do IT work in just about every show I do. But you really must be able to do a good show with IT in order to be good with IT. It's easy to get caught up in feeling like without the visual strength of those IT tricks that you’re not giving your spectators your strongest material. That's not true at all though. Even with the visually strength of IT tricks it still relies on your presentation skills. And there are many, many other kinds of magic that are just as visually stunning.

But, if all else fails. Just play Deaf… :)

Ron Jaxon
Check your question in the cards section. Remember, it’s a gift you choose to give. They aren't paying you, so it’s a gift out of kindness. If they say something like "Why can't you? Need your equipment?" Just look at them and say, "Your right. I left my forklift in my other pants. I should go get those." And walk away. Or whatever works for you. Annoying people should never be tolerated unless you're getting paid or they're important to tolerate.

-Daniel GreenWolf
Tell them you forgot your invisible thread. Works every time.

Dave
Please join a magic club, and get some mentoring!!!

Eric Grossman
Once again I agree with Eric. You need more help than we can offer at the Café talking you through some of these situations. You really need to spend time with working professionals, or working semi-pros to find out what they do in certain situations and you REALLY need to learn Audience management. I understand that you're still relatively young and the crowd you're performing for is the same age... about 13 correct? That's a VERY difficult age to perform for, especially if you're the same age. Other than that, I say you need to learn some easy but effective routines. Buy Ammar's Easy To Master Card Miracles to start you off with cards, and you said you already have Bobo. Give it a second look for strong routines. And by all means, [b]practice, practice, practice[/b], and don't [b]show anyone[/b] until you can do a trick in your sleep.
Months ago someone working in a magic shop addressed the problem of kids leaping forward to grab props during performance. He loved to perform The Hover Card until a kid reached out and broke the thread sending the card across the room and onto the floor. He responded by saying "Oh no! The force has been broken". I found that hysterical and could only picture he's disappointed tone as he uttered those words.

Again, "Oh no! The force has been broken"

Wish I could have been there as I bet I would have been the only one laughing my butt off.

:rotf:
Also, try to learn the muscle pass. I get great reactions from this one thing alone when someone says do a trick. A few of my friends have seen the floating dollar, and they've only seen it ONCE in the 3 years I've known these particular people. Every time they tell the story to another person when I'm around the effect gets better and better. Haha. :rotf: The point is the trick is so strong that it lasts in people's memories as a true miracle so I let it be just that. I don't think I'll ever perform it for them again. Haha. Just because of the miracle they remember. So what I'm saying is...do it once and do it [b]very well[/b] and [b]convincing[/b] then [b]never[/b] do it again or at least wait a [b]long[/b] time. Common items or occurrences lose their luster over time.
[quote]
On 2003-12-17 00:20, Dave Egleston wrote:

Dave
[/quote]
Why would I want to say that? I don't want to give them the secret.
DBZ -- I think he was just kidding about the IT thing. You really should try to limit yourself to [b]really[/b] learning just a [b]few[/b] effects, (like focus on 3 in a routine, and no more!) not just for the handlings, but think about how they work physically and what makes them work psychologically, this helps to perform them properly.

I have a routine I can do with just a couple (or even just 1) borrowed quarters if need be. I wouldn't do requests like floating, in fact I rarely do trick requests, or you [b]will[/b] reveal your methods without meaning to. It should be [b]you[/b] in control of when, where, and which trick to perform, not the spectators.
I think saying I forgot my invisible thread is a good idea. Spectators will think you are joking around because obviously, nothing can be invisible (except air, I forgot about air.) Usually when someone suggests this they say it in sort of a smart way, as if trying to disprove your magic. So they'll say something like, "Hey why don't you float this!" and I'll simply say, "Hey, no." It works for me, but if they insist on my floating a card I'll just boomerang it and say that's the best I can do at the moment in a joking manner.

If it's a regular object I'll make it vanish and reproduce it in a way as if I lost track of it. When I finally find it I say, well it's odd that I can make it vanish but I can't make it float.

If all else fails throw it up in the air and act as though it floats for a split second. When they boo you run like hell.
I agree on the idea of saying you forgot your invisible thread. When I was first getting into magic, a pro magician said something to me about floating a card with invisible thread. I thought he was being sarcastic. Then I bought UFO and felt stupid.

But the truth is Adam, the biggest thing that will help your performances right now is not performing.

[quote]
On 2003-12-17 16:24, Dbzkid999 wrote:
[quote]
On 2003-12-17 00:20, Dave Egleston wrote:

Dave
[/quote]
Why would I want to say that? I don't want to give them the secret.
[/quote]
Good grief. If I live to be a thousand years old I will never understand how you could have taken that statement so literally yet you have unflinchingly disregarded any other sound advice that has been patiently given to you in regards to your numerous public mistakes. Priorities, my friend... and listen to these guys, they really are honestly trying to help you.
But I was thinking,

If I would have said that, then they'll probably say "Oh! Your not a real magician"

Or something else…
Hi Dbzkid999,

You have a very good question. One method is to have a second method set up to perform. You can read more about this in Kirk Charles' book on strolling magic. The second method is to so destroy each of the audience's potential questions in the routine that they are left without plausible hypotheses. Whit Hadyn's routines are very good for this. If you are doing magic for your peers rather than a paying audience, you may have a tough crowd. There is always the bully who wants to wreck a performance. Determine if the person asking the question really loves your magic and wants to see more or is a heckler. Do not engage a heckler or accept a challenge in that kind of situation. These are the same kind of people who would go to the ballet and trip the ballet dancers. In a paid show you must deal with hecklers, but in other situations it is YOU who are offering a free gift. If you do it well and it is not respected it is not your fault. Do make sure you are doing it right though. Despite the concept that all audiences are great, the truth is sometimes they aren't. Part of learning to be a professional is going on in spite of less then perfect audiences.

Cheers and good luck,

Stephen

Oh, and one other thing. An example of a good logical routine with the floating bill that destroys many questions and provides some outs for not repeating it can be found it Michael Ammar's presentation of the floating bill in his "Classic Renditions" series.
Dbzkid999:

You are looking for an excuse not to do the trick. If you can't handle telling an audience, "No," then don't go out without your IT.

If you are performing for your friends at school, then you can always find an excuse -- "Not now, I have to meet a friend in the library." There's always something.

And don't give so much away. Start charging for your performances. NEVER INFLICT MAGIC ON PEOPLE.
Bill,

I think you hit it RIGHT ON. In fact, I wish there had been a forum like this when I was first starting out, and I would NEVER had made the mistakes I made. Case in point? I quote you:

[quote]NEVER INFLICT MAGIC ON PEOPLE.[/quote]
That killed magic for me for a LONG time. I can't remember the number of times someone would say (sarcastically), "...hey Doug, gonna FLOAT something for us tonight, or didn't you bring your 'stuff'?"

Oh, I'd be hooked up, all right, and (naive as I was) I would "assume the stance" (I must have looked ridiculous) and begin...

I can still hear the groans ("Oh, no... here we go, AGAIN!"), but I was oblivious. I thought I was bulletproof, I could do MAGIC and they couldn't! Little did I realize, in fact, I still catch myself at times wanting to "start off", but I check myself (you ought to see the rope burns!).

A lot of times, I will say, "...later, I promise..." when asked to "do something." I size up the situation with much more scrutiny today. I mean, I ALWAYS carry SOMETHING on me, but will only perform if I feel I'm not going to look like a fool in the process. (I can do that easily enough WITHOUT performing magic!)

I wish I had the Café back when I was 18, as this is the best place to get great tips and points, and may have prevented me from making most of the mistakes I made (mostly not paying attention to reactions around me.)

...And may I point out, Bill, you appear to be the reincarnation of Merlin! Have you videotaped your act? If that's how you appear in your act, in my opinion, it's the PERFECT "look." Love to see that sometime.

And, Dbzkid999, thanks for bringing up this topic. There are things here I NEEDED to see. I have already applied them, and am grateful!

Happy Holidays!

Doug
More great points. I'd just like to go a little deeper into what I, and others, have already said. Be sure that you can do a show without IT. If you can't do an entire show and get a good reaction without IT, then you might not be ready to have IT in your act yet. I'm not saying this to anyone particular here, but I feel the point is important enough to be stressed, especially to those fairly new to magic.

It's so easy to feel that making something float is the strongest thing you can do and gets the best reaction but it really isn't. It's one of the strongest but not always THE strongest. So if you're a heavy IT work, like I am, I have a little piece of advice. Try to go out and do some performing and leave the IT at home every once in a while. Be sure you remember that the simplest tricks can also be there favorites and get a strong reaction. If you're like me it might even feel a little odd at first but I think it teaches some important lessons.

Just my two cents.

Ron Jaxon
There are some very valid points and real life stories on this particular thread.

I'm afraid our young friend is an unfortunate victim of the dreaded David Bland Syndrome. As much good Bland did for magic in general, there is also a tremendous amount of damage inflicted to the art we love and practice. In a few other threads, I've begged Adam to suspend performing and spend some more time practicing, and showing a few confidants his progress. Join a magic club and maybe find a mentor … to no avail I'm afraid

The problem I see is the Bland specials created a myth, and that myth is: everybody in the world wants to see a card trick anytime the magician feels like showing them one! Wrong. I wish they would show some outtakes from these specials -- MAYBE one in five people Bland approached were mildly interested - and MAYBE one in ten of those people reacted with any sort of enthusiasm upon the completion of the trick. What we see is non-stop cooperation from the public. It is never a good idea to run up to some one and ask if they want to see some magic.

True street magicians are rather stationary and let the audience come to them. This way both the magician and the spectators are more in control of their surroundings

Wasted breath and time on this young man I suspect. I would like to meet this young man some day. There are few people I know with his enthusiasm and his single-mindedness.

Dave
I think one of the problems when people ask you to do "a trick" is that they have already seen it once.
This means that that if you agree to do the same effect again they will be burning your hands big time. I think there are two ways around this, the first is in the framing of the effect the first time they see it. Someone earlier posted a thread (no pun intended) about making your effect miraculous. That way it's hard for you to replicate at the drop of a hat. (I’d recommend Derren Brown’s “Absolute Magic” for notes on performance.) BUT, what if people are unrelenting and start pounding your head into the floor until you show them how to float a note… then you reach for your loops. Also I'm guessing you didn’t use loops before and so those guys burning your performance will probably be looking in the wrong place. Remember there are a hundred and one ways to perform the same effect. If you utilize a few methods, you'll be able to repeat the effect. Also with the loops, you're always ready to perform. :xmas:
What Dave said about one in ten people wanting to see a magic trick reminds me of a scene in the first special where he approached a couple of older ladies sitting on a bench and asked them to see a card trick, and they said, “No.” Well, he finally talked them into it. The guy has a lot of testosterone, cause I would never force a trick on someone who expressed no interest. Also in another scene, he asked a passerby if they wanted to see some magic, and they ran away like he was Freddy Krueger or something. It's ashamed that some people live their lives like little timid mice, or like Chicken Little, afraid of the slightest breeze that blows on their skin. Just a thought from Daff. :cups:
A hidden gem from download magic is something called (going from memory) "Magicians levitation".

It's so simple it hurts but in a few words you levitate a card from your hand using a TT.

You do have a TT? Don’t you? :)
My patter often includes how I (or another more powerful magician) put a "spell of levitation" on the item. I can then create a story saying that the spell can only be used once, is difficult to transfer, it's not quite enough to put the spell on another item, etc. This also allows one to take the quarter offered and say that it obviously has a "disappearing spell" already on it.

Much of the advice here not to do a request appears sound, and while I may naturally find a way out (probably just because I'm not prepared)of doing it, I don't think that I have the experience to have offered that advice without seeing it first. That's something that I like about this forum. This idea will probably allow me to be more prepared to say no in an appropriate manner in the future.

If you really want to do the effect with another item, and correct me if I'm wrong either in theory or my abbreviation (I lack much experience), but how about MW? If I understand the situation, would this not transfer quickly to a credit card or license?

Finally (was that applause?), I have what I believe is a related question. Please guide me if I should have posted another reply or some thing else, this forum stuff is new to me. Question: Is there a gimmick, video or book that I could purchase on flotation that would allow, um... "closer inspection" I suppose is the phrase that I'm looking for. I did the levitating card for my high school class, and one of the students new the secret (he saw the IT when a classmate did the effect a few years ago). He asked if he could come up and pass HIS hand over the card. I talked my way out of it(see "spells" above) fairly well I think for the rest of the class, but I would like to know if there is something that would help this student "believe" in levitation again. He usually enjoys my other, rather limited, magic.

Thanx.
Probably the best thing to do is only let something free float for about a second or so. That's Ammar's personal thinking on it and it's worked great for me as well. I usually animate the bill a bit, then have it dangle from my stretched out index finger through static electricity. Take the finger away for a second passing my hands over it before it falls back down into the hands. I hand the bill out and I'm done. None of this making the bill fly around the world business.
Though I've said my piece about Adam and his constant dilemmas - Since he is such a devotee of Bland - You could do the Bozo the Clown/David Bland self levitation - Do it for less then 2 seconds and walk away - The problem is: Adam's history.

Dave
I hear Adam's dilemmas myself BUT I'm keeping in mind that I too was a beginner once. I knocked him once or twice myself saying that he should definitely seek help. He has, he has found us and is asking us, the more experienced magicians for help. SAM and IBM groups aren't available everywhere, eventhough they do try to be. Some people just can't make it there because of certain restraints ie: too young to drive or parent's don't want to take them or the people can't make it due to physical disability. Adam, I understand what you're going through and wish you the best of luck because I too was a beginner at one time and remember the excitement of learning more about magic and interactions with people.
Thanks Twistedace - I am fairly new however and am not familiar with some of the terms or routines that you mentioned. Which video or book would be best for free float and animate. Also static electricity, I know what it is of course, but is there a book or video that shows how to produce it and use it? thanx again.
Just explain you will show them something more impressive and do another trick even if it has to be on the spot and you haven't got anything set up like stick your finger through it
Building up to a floating routine using ITR will fool those curious and sceptic spectators.
If they want to wawe their hand over the floating object - let them (under spectator management though)..

-e-
Message: Posted by: radiantentertainment (Apr 12, 2004 01:48AM)
Once is magic, twice is education. You should not only learn an out for when someone requests this effect again but for any effect. Do not repeat the same effect for the same audience. You are the entertainer and you must control the audience. Whatever reason you use for not doing the effect will have to come from you so that it suits your performing persona. A couple questions: Where do your magic powers come from? What makes the card float? This is where your excuse will probably come from.

If your friends make some snide comment about you leaving your props at home they are just trying to razz you into performing the effect because they really want to see it. Take this as a compliment and possibly show them something different.

If you are showing your friends your magic it should be seldom and far between in my opinion. I remember when I was just starting in magic. I was in college and I did magic non stop. Before and after every class, during lunch, at every social gathering ;) and so on. This weakens your magic and prevents it from being special. My friends now feel as if it's a special occasion if they get to see me perform an effect. This makes it much stronger!

I have an outlet though. I perform on a regular basis for strangers. You could do this by performing for nursing homes, children's hospitals, and the such. Before you do this ask a established professional to evaluate your routines and see which ones you should use and which ones you need work on. He or she will rejest some routines but this is "show Biz" after all. There is plenty of rejection!
You must be ready for just about anything. It seems you would know what audience might ask you to do something like that so be prepared.
Tell them that you haven't found the seventh dragon ball and that once you do you'll wish for better friends...
Lots of good advice so far, but figured I would add my own real life situation to the mix.

When I have been asked to do something that I didn't have the "gimmick" for or what ever reason (sometimes I just don't feel like doing a certain trick) I have said things such as the following: That effect takes a lot out of me and I have done it to many times today, but let me show you something else that will surely amaze you.

OR

I sold the rights to that effect to another magician, and I am not allowed to do it any more...

I usually wink after that one.

Lincoln
Depending on what it is and who is asking, I have been known to "float" it in their drink.
I would just start carrying an ITR or Loop. If you tell them you use IT they will think it is a joke.If they say that you are not a real Magician, then say the line from Lord of Illusions " the difference bettween magicians and illusionists are that magicians do real magic" look at it that way.

tom
Tell him to **** off, and then properly credit Jerry Sadowitz for that line. :baby:

Larry

(Just kidding. I posted my real reply earlier.)
Hi there,
if your are stuck on the spot say at a house party or some where with access to a bathroom all you do is go get some dental floss strip it down to a thin strand and hey presto there is some cheap mint flavoured i.t.r . and it is also quite strong hope this helps any one.
Once you gain experiance you simply don't get your self into these positions I guess it must also be an age thing. I also suppose that when your as big as me no one argues with you :)
[quote]
On 2003-12-16 13:21, Vibono Magic wrote:
I hold the item in my hand as I do the Balducci levitation.
[/quote]

That's my 'out' too.
Dpeneding on the situation I often say "I'm not a ****ing jukebox."
Yeah Axman! I never do requests, even when prepared. Not because of surprise factor, but because I'm not a Mariachi, I'm a magician. I try to create magical moments. Unfortunately DBZKID999 doesn't have the experience under his belt to disarm the taunts. In casual situations I have told people, "I've been working all week. Today is my day off from performing impossibilities." In performance situations I might dismiss the request by saying, "miracles don't happen on demand, they happen when the time is right. Let me demonstrate." I then move into something I want to perform. My guess is that DBZKID999 is dealing with other kids and kids can be downright nasty when they don't get their way. My advice would be to ignore the taunts and say, "I was about to show you something even more amazing, but you've ruined the energy of the moment." No more magic for you smart aleck!
Well I use the most impromptu levitation on the market. The greatest thing about it is that it does not even use thread. It's called No Strings Attached.

Well at least that is what I was told!
I used to do a floating bill with my ITR and it was the ONLY trick I could do (yes, my first magic purchase was ITR). And I was very succesful but had nothing to continue with. So, when people asked for more I politely refused. And if they asked why? I was looking them a tad accusingly and said "DO you understand how hard that is. I'm beat. If I do it again I'll get a massive headache". Instead of dissapointment I received symphaty.

On other points. DBZ... I would suggest you to think a lot about your personality and are you ready for the IT work. With all my respect and without any offence, you are still quite young. In my mind, one needs to have a certain charisma to do certain type of magic. Mentalism and levitation are two good examples where age can make a huge different. Audience is more willing to believe that a 50 year old can read your mind than a teenager. I believe the same is true with levitations. For younger performers card and coin manipulation may be a better choice as you are baffling them with your skill rather than "real" magic. For your audience, it is really hard to believe you can do real magic (your previous posts are evidence on that). Now, if that happens a levitation effect or a mentalism effect is ruined, it lost the magic. But if people start suspecting sleight of hand in a card trick. So what? Let them try palming or side steal or any other sleight. Yes, the magic will be gone but there is still admiration of skills left. With IT effect, you loose it all if you blow it. Who's gonna admire a man that can put a thread between his hands?

But just as in mentalism I do believe that levitation requires that you can show something off stage or in a rather everyday environment. Carrying a loop in your wrist is a good idea, but do not show a great trick. Just a little animation (like the fork) or a little lift of an item. You can explain that you cannot truly concentrate and invite the person to see your next show when you are mentally prepared.
What worked for me: Never do a trick immediately following the audience's request. Do something about it a bit later, and in your own terms. So if they ask you to float a coin, you may (after a few tricks) float a dollar bill using loops or float a cigarette (Steve Fearson's floating cig is my favourite) or I'd float my dancing cane. Believe me it worked for me very well.
Anyone ever used this situation in reverse? You talk about an object floating but you can't make it happen for some reason. Hopefuly you'll get a heckler or someone will start laughing at your failure.
OK, we should never get a laugh at someone elses expense. but a heckler is a heckler and should be treated as one.. :)

Whenever that person [b]isn't[/b] looking, make something float for a moment. Let the audience react but the trick is over when ever the heckler looks.

I came up with this when I was performing at a bar. I made a cigarette float (Fearsons). Then this guy came up and gave me a light. You can tell by his actions and the look on his face that he was lighting my cigarette in hopes to prevent me from being able to make it float again. So he said, "make it float now." I said, "sorry, I can't now." He turned to toward the audience and laughed at me. I of course made it float while he was doing this. Then when he turned back to face me I made it float back to my lips. This was repeated a couple of times.
Finally, he went to sit down. When I saw he was looking again I made it float from my mouth to the ashtray on the table then went on to something else. You should have seen his jaw drop...lol

Anyway, I know it's a little off-topic but this discussion brought that to mind.

Ron Jaxon
No gear?

Asked to float something?

Lick the tip of your thumb and do a TT card float.

Do it quick and finish.

Do not repeat it.

Paula
[quote]
On 2003-12-17 22:03, Dbzkid999 wrote:
But I was thinking,

If I would have said that, then they'll probably say "Oh! Your not a real magician"

Or something else…
[/quote]

Perhaps you're performing for the wrong people.

You've been here asking for advice for what to say when you get caught and what to say when you're not prepared to do an effct and things like that. Quite a bit, in fact.

Sounds like you have bigger issues and that is how to entertain people without creating an adversarial situation. Or performing for the right audience.

Your attitude seems a bit like it's you against your spectators.

Who are you performing for? The same people over and over? Kids your age?

Are you trying to impress them? It seems so.

Relax and go do a free show for a cub scout troop or some old folks at a nursing home.

A real audience is tremendously different than a pack of your friends at school.

I suggest never performing for anyone that is insistant or anything close to that..

You should be able to shake your head, smile, and say "No thanks. Not right now."

Anyone that cannot handle that answer should not be witness to your magic in the first place. They are just hoping to make you feel foolish.

I want to perform for those that want to see magic, not those that hope I make a mistake.
Great idea Jaxon, I will have to try that next time. Although I am a great supporter of the don't-make-fun-of-people I still believe some of them are just asking for it. An eye for an eye.
RE: "I want to perform for those that want to see magic, not those that hope I make a mistake."

AMEN Frank. Great points.

On topic - I like Paulajayne's solution combined with Jaxon's execution.

Mike
[quote]
On 2003-12-16 17:15, Bong780 wrote:
A good quote from someone in the Café, "First time is performance, second time is lesson. And I don't give free lessons."
[/quote]

For the love of Nancy, please don't use this quote with a real-life, breathing audience. Why don't you simply say: "In magic, the tricks are easy to figure out if you see them performed twice. And I don't want you to figure out my tricks." You don't say that because: (1) it's revealing; (2) It's terrifically uncreative; (3) it's a boring explanation. There is no difference between my quote, and the quote above. Well, there is a difference: the quote above is the same as mine, only the one above is slightly more whiney and pretentious.

Can't just seguay into another trick? Can't hit em with a joke?

By the way, like magicman posted above, my first thought when I read the question: what to do when they say, "can you float this?" ---- drop it in their drink. "Nope, it sinks."

A bit inappropriate, don't ya think? But I still like it. One day I will do this to a friend.
Don't know if this is ethically proper to ask, but I'm sure you'll tell me: how in the world do you do a levitation with the TT? do you classic palm it, open end down?

This would be quite neat to learn.
[quote]
On 2004-12-15 20:16, mcmc wrote:
Don't know if this is ethically proper to ask, but I'm sure you'll tell me: how in the world do you do a levitation with the TT? do you classic palm it, open end down?

this would be quite neat to learn.
[/quote]

I think Steve Fearson has something on print about this, but to be honest: floating a card/bill using a TT doesn't work out half as good as the flotations you can achieve using loops...

-e-
O.K. I just got on here to read a little. But Jesus did I learn a lot just on this post. DBZ everything these guys are saying should be in a book. It's a lot of great advise. I have been performing for money and fun for over 8 years and I learned a lot from just reading this post. Don't take anything these guys say to heart or offensive they really are trying to help.
Just a thought but how about. No but could try it with this coin, fake transfer - hold you hand up high and ask them to watch it as you move your eyes up. What do you mean you can't see it it's there? Point high up - move eyes higher up - there it goes - then slowly down over to their shoulder or wherever you put it earlier when they all looked up... impromptu enough :)
For me when I'm in the situation of someone wantingme to float something, I either do a muscle pass, which I've been told is not a trick, but gets great reactions. And also as been said its always good ot have a few loops on you at all times.
This will depend on how you present your levitations, but when I'm asked to repeat a performance when I'm ill-equipped, I put the card/bill/whatever in the same position as I would for the levitation and concentrate on it really hard, only to have nothing happen. Often I even do this while hooked up. Look at it from the spectator's point of view: floating an object in midair should be extremely difficult. Failing once or twice will only make the successes they've seen even more amazing, and keep the effect from being diminished. If I always just floated things at the drop of a hat, it seems to me that the effect would be greatly cheapened. Forget for a moment that you know the secret. You're levitating an object in midair!!! That should be really , really hard, and you should probably fail sometimes. The same reasoning goes for taking the time to establish the difficulty of the effect when performing it, and for keeping the actual float brief and to the point: clearly establish the free-floating state, then end it and look very tired. Just my two cents.

sincerely,
tiberius magus
Agree with tiberius, It's all in presentation.
There are several ways to get out of the "do it again" requests, I tend to patter that "there might still be some static electricity left", and I do an animation like erectile bill, spinning spoon, balancing straw etc.

BTW, A funny application (at least in a bar setting) is to take three straws, put one inside the other, between the first and the second straw you secretly put a bit of your Finn Jon`s extended loops, you put the loop twice around your middle finger and you now have a "impromptu" small illusion floating cane.

-e-
Loops all the way! There are lots of tips on loops in other theads.

Good luck and remember, nothing takes the place of experience. The more you do these things, the more outs you can come up with.
[quote]
On 2003-12-10 23:06, Dbzkid999 wrote:
Hey guys,

I've done a lot of IT performances before.
After I did the Hummingbird card, at a certain time later, when people see me doing card/coin tricks, they'll ask me "Go Float This Card or Coin!"

What are some excuses I can… get out of this?

Thanks.
[/quote]
Yes, I understand your problem, BUT you're in charge.

The nice thing about close-up is you perform it, when you want, for whom you want, when you want and then only if you want.

If you're having people follow you around at a party then leave it to the last thing you do.

Go outside. Start the car. Back it up to the door. Go back in and collect the check. Then as your ready to walk out the door turn around and announce, “hey everyone one last thing.”

[b]Then blow their socks off.[/b]

The above is tongue in cheek, but I do advice only doing something this strong at the end of your gig. Actually, it's a great ending. Gather a ton of people around you, do the deed, and leave 'em wanting more.
Ask for a coin (they think your going to float it ) and do a false pass and vanish it (they are completly off gaurd for a vanish and the reaction usually is enough for them to forget about the floating)
My advice is that when a spectator asks you to perform something you are not prepared to do.....Don't.
I'd just say no spares a lot of time, if he is only there to wreck a audience or saying *** like that I don't really care I just say no.. "oow you are not a real magician" probably not whatever cheers mate!

Performance I mean sorry I'm dutch :)
Go along with the request and ask for a bill, the larger denomination the better. Then, just put it in your pocket. When asked about it, just say that you just "floated a loan." Then, run! (Just a little Meadville, PA humor.)
This might be a little difficult, by why don't you just learn the Muscle Pass. It's the coin that falls up, hehe. This is really difficult, but master it, and you can make a coin in one hand "fall" up 11 inches into the opposite hand. It's very impressive.
I usually tell them..."Maybe in a little bit...let me show you this..." I almost always keep something with me...or use something commonly available.