(Close Window)
Topic: "Clones" sponge ball routine
While unpacking some of my old magic stuff, I came across Patrick Martin's sponge ball effect, "Clones." I have the Clones sponges (very cute) but I never actually performed the effect for an audience.

Currently I do Scott Guinn's dynamite sponge ball routine, "Peanut Butter and Jelly." I don't plan on giving up the Guinn routine because it is so good. I partcularly like the vanish of the sponge balls at the end of the routine, even though some people on the forum say to finish a routine with a vanish is not a good idea.

Anyway, have you used Martin's routine for the Clones? If so, do you have any opinion about it? Perhaps it might be especially good for kids. I like the look of the Clones and the idea of using an eyedropper, which gives a good excuse for going to the pocket.
Thanks.
Richard
Richard,

Check out the "Clones from Brazil" by Ron Bauer. Published in Charllie Miller's "Magicana" column (July-1983).

The illustrations from that column are posted at http://www.thinklikeaconjurer.com/conjurers under FREE STUFF.

If you want more info PM me.

Best Regards,
Tom
:dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: It's been a long time since I had the effect, and I don't know that it's even made anymore. But to answer your question, I used the routine alot, and it always got good reactions from both kids and grownups too. Since you still have the effect, would you consider cloning off a set for the Daff? (Just kiddin) :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:
Over eleven years since this thread, and I found some googley eyes in the dollar store. So I picked them up, hoping to clone some of my own clones if I can find some orange sponge balls. (And some mini sponges for the noses).

An eye dropper correctly gimmicked is a no brainer to make up.

Only problem is, when I searched through my files for the instructions, I discovered I only have page one! Arrrrgghj! I completely forget how the routine went!!
Richard,

I still use this one.
Do you what to sell this?

Emmett
Anybody here who would be wiling to share the "Clones" instructions with me? All I have left is page one, and that tells me very little.
I might have the full instructions ... Give me a day or so to find them and I will email a copy to you.

Bruce
That's very. very kind of you!
Doug... I did not forget about you, I am still looking.

Bruce
Ok. Thank-you for the update, my friend.
Doug... I have one more box to go through tonight.
Bruce
Ok.
Doug... I found the instructions, shall I use the email in your profile?
I will send tomorrow after I convert to a pdf.
Bruce
Wow! Yes. Use my e-mail, and THANK-YOU!!!
[quote]On Oct 14, 2014, daffydoug wrote:
Over eleven years since this thread, and I found some googley eyes in the dollar store. So I picked them up, hoping to clone some of my own clones if I can find some orange sponge balls. (And some mini sponges for the noses).

Only problem is, when I searched through my files for the instructions, I discovered I only have page one! Arrrrgghj! I completely forget how the routine went!! [/quote]

Doug, Why do the sponges have to be orange? Google eyes on red sponges seem just as workable. Plus, you could find mini pom-poms at that same Dollar Store to make noses.

Best Magical Regards,

Mark Williams
I think orange was the original color, and I feel it was a good choice because it just seems to "fit" the routine. Kind of hard to explain.

I see Penguin has orange sponges, so I think I may splurge.
Doug... I just emailed the pdf to your yahoo email.

Bruce
Got it!
I remember watching Patrick Martin doing this at an informal get together and "killed" with it. Not sure if this is still available.
No. Not any longer available.

Only way to get them is you have to roll your own. Um, sorry. I meant clone your own.
Doug It is a great routine! I used in my walk around has an opener (trading off with the ID deck)and I also made my set clones.Let me give you a tip cut a small notch in the blub part of the eye dropper so you can feel what side to show empty or full.
That's a great tip!
This routine sure brings back memories for me.
I just bought Clones by Patrick Martin.... it looks good. I was wondering if any videos so I could see the routine in action? ant help or info would be greatly appreciated.
Where did you buy it???
Before Mac King made it big in Vegas, we were over to a mutual friend's house and he performed 'clones'. It was one of his favorite routines. I have one stashed somewhere. I had forgotten all about it.
Some times the old stuff is still the GOOD stuff.
[quote]On Apr 23, 2015, daffydoug wrote:
Where did you buy it??? [/quote]

I've had my set of Clones for several years. I found this link for you, Doug...

http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S4897

Best Magical Regards,

Mark Williams
Thank-you, my friend!
Doug, Actually that link is for a card effect developed by Michael Close. I attempted to edit, yet could not due to your subsequent post. Still attempting to find a source for the Spongeball routine. My bad, brother.

Best Magical Regards,

Mark Williams
I just checked. I already have the Michael Close effect. But since you reminded me, I might just dig out the instruction sheet and re-learn it. I have a professional clown nose back from when I was doing clowning, so I'm all set.
With the hype leading to the Minion movie, I was thinking some yellow sponge balls with the googly eyes (similar to the Clones construction) and routine around minions would probably hit the spot now. I've seen Minion lunch boxes that one could even work into a stand up routine with larger sponge balls perhaps--just an idea.

Bruce
Man, I can't even keep up on all the new computer animated releases these days! It's overwhelming.
[quote]On Oct 21, 2014, Mark Williams wrote:
[quote]On Oct 14, 2014, daffydoug wrote:

Only problem is, when I searched through my files for the instructions, I discovered I only have page one! Arrrrgghj! I completely forget how the routine went!! [/quote]That gives me an idea. Googley eyes on a Goshman Ding Dong would be killer!
I realize this topic is several years old, but I thought any followers might enjoy seeing a picture of these little guys (and the packaging, eyedropper, etc.).
Thank you, dleiber! Welcome to the Café!

Doug
I finally got the materials together and made a group of my own.
Looks like this is conversation was some time ago but I came looking for this subject. I cracked open a treasure of things, used performing table to table in the 80s. I had a portable "magic" table/stand then but cannot remember if I did "Clones" with or without the table. The instructions are likely buried somewhere else but I would like to resurrect this gem for grandchildren as a stand up (no table). I kept the eye dropper in chest pocket "clear" side out as I remember, so I did not need a marker to tell me what the observer was seeing. Just FYI. If the instructions are still available somewhere please let me know.
I sent you a PM, I can help you with the instructions.