(Close Window)
Topic: Missing In Action
After three years of working and re-working, Missing In Action is almost ready to rock and roll.

Here's the blurb from the web-site. the link is at the end.

The mystery performer introduces a collection of files from the Allied Service Personnel Record Centre

These files contains details of Allied service personnel who went Missing In Action, during WWII
Their nationality, religion, age, place of birth, where and when they went missing etc.

One of these files is chosen at random by one of your participants.
They are asked to read through the file to get a feeling for the person it relates to.

The performer now begins to reveal pieces of information. First slowly and with difficulty, but each piece of data is verified to be correct.
More and more data is revealed and proved correct.

Nothing is written down. Nothing is spoken.
The participant reads the file to themselves, and you tell them what they are reading.

40 files. +/-10 pieces of data in each file. 400 pieces of data.
Reveal everything without memorising it at all.

For each M.I.A. The following information can be revealed;
The soldiers last known location
The date they went missing
The time the M.I.A. Report was filed
Their nationality
Their year of birth
The city where they were born
Their name
Their religion
Whether they served in the Air Force, Navy, Army etc
The M.I.A. case number

Present the revelation of the information in any number of ways.
As remote viewing. As part of an empathy presentation. As part of a séance. As a bizarre piece. Or as a straight mind reading routine.

The secret to doing M.I.A. Justice is in the presentation of it.
This is not an effect for someone just starting out as a mystery performer.
Although technically they could successfully do the effect. That’s not the same as PERFORMING it.

Each M.I.A. set is hand crafted in our secret workshop
This will be a limited release and only 50 sets will be made each year.
The first batch will be ready in time for despatch by the end of October 2013.
Price will be +/- 120 Euros

http://www.thoughtillusions.com/missinginaction.html

Steve
Sounds very promising.
Cool. Are these cities all over the world.
Is it different from The Fallen which I already have ?
Good question George, it does sound a similar premise but using a file rather than cards and without the 'items' it seems? There is a way to perform The Fallen without the 'items' I believe, although I don't own it so will defer to your expertise on this one.
Looks to be more than double the cost of The Fallen as well.
Since I purchased Jim's White Star, I have quite fancied the idea of getting The Fallen, but I wonder if files rather than cards may be more appealing and less 'trick' like for this kind of reveal effect? Not as pocket space friendly of course depending on the situation.
Thoughts?

Bryn.
Good questions guys.

I actually contacted Tony and Jim (creators of The Fallen) early on in the process of getting MIA off the ground.
They have given their blessing to MIA and they will be fully credited in the accompanying literature.
I was a staunch supporter of The Fallen when it came out, and I believe it got some unfair criticism in some quarters.

Although they share the same premise, MIA and The Fallen are two completely different animals.
I the same way that one ACAAN can be a world away from another version.

In the next few days there will be a photograph of the props uploaded to the web-site.
They consist of 40 folded cards, inside of which are 40 photographs of micro-film files.

Without going into too much detail, the bottom line is that any of the file-cards can be read by a lay-person, and you will be able to reveal numerous details relating to the subject of that file.
WITHOUT HAVING TO MEMORISE THE CONTENTS OF ANY OF THE CARDS

Nothing is spoken, nothing is written down by the lay-person.

And yes JC, the cities of birth are spread across the world.

The power of this will be in the performance.
It is possible to make a complete hash of it and turn it into a "You pick a card, I'll tell you what it is" fiasco,
but I hope that the people who buy this are a little more switched on than that.

I am going to try and keep the price as low as possible.
But there is quite a bit of work in a set of these.

I'll try and answer all questions if I can, so keep them coming.
Steve
This sounds amazing Steve!!

Too bad I usually perform in spanish. :(

Is it language dependent or could I be able to actually make the files myself?

Something tells me it would be worth getting just for the secret. :)

Best,

[b]Andreu. [/b]

:firedevil:
Many thanks for our reply Stephen. I like the sound of this one.
There is a photo of the props on the site now.
Original release date was for end of October.
But I thought some people may like to have it ready for Halloween.

So although the instruction PDF is still being typed up, this will be going live at the end of next week.

Steve
Original release date was for end of October.
But I thought some people may like to have it ready for Halloween.

So although the instruction PDF is still being typed up, this will be going live at the end of next week.

Steve
Sorry, not sure why that last post appeared twice.
Steve has shared with me some of the thinking behind Missing in Action and the principles and subtleties are incredible. So much is concealed in such a brilliant way that those handling the material will never suspect what is really going on :)

Also, the effect can be used in so many ways. For those who enjoy dark and spooky type effects, Missing in Action could be perfect - there is even an idea using a Ouija board. Alternatively, Missing in Action could be performed almost like a book test and with words and information printed on the cards revealed in telling fashion. There are lots of possibilities here and with effects which promise to be very different from the norm.
This sounds very interesting. It's a heavy subject and I could see it really making an impact.
[quote]
On 2013-09-28 08:40, Stephen Young wrote:
Sorry, not sure why that last post appeared twice.

[/quote]

Did you use a tablet?
Yes I did John.
Is that the reason?
Missing In Action is now in production.
I originally intended to release it at the end of the month, but I thought that some people may like to have it for Halloween.

There will be an introductory price discount for all orders placed before October 19th. (cause that's my birthday, and I'm off to Portugal the day after)
Why a discount?
Because the demo video won't be ready for a week or so, that means anyone ordering early will be taking a bit of a chance on me.
I think that deserves rewarding.

http://www.thoughtillusions.com/missinginaction.html

Steve
I have been asked what are the feats of memory required for this effect.

Let me explain it like this:
If you use a memorised deck, that is 52 pieces of data to memorise, one number for each card.
Missing In Action has +/- 400 pieces of data that can be revealed.
That's the equivalent of memorising 8 different decks.

All this data can be assimilated with no more than memorising a list of words beginning with the letters from A to M

Steve
I have been lucky enough to have seen the pdf of the instructions, and it will blow you away. My favourite effect of this type is L*n@ but this will become a very close second if indeed not first.
Wow Thank you George.

I'm honoured that Missing In Action could be talked about in the same circles as Luna.
Oh my. I foresee more money going out of my wallet.. If George says it's as good as if not better than L*n@ then we are all doomed to the extended overdraft?
I know he loves the L*n@ effect so this must be something very special..

I was saving for Doppelganger, then I have been seriously swayed by C0DEX V3NEFICUM, and now MIA..
Argh.. If only I hadn't foolishly squandered all my money on food and heat this month..
:)
I wish this was announce a week or two earlier as I just bought the fallen but this is much closer to what I wanted from the fallen.

Mark
Sorry for either tempting your wallets and/or making the announcement too late. :)

I truly believe this is one of the best effects of its type.

Each Missing In Action takes me a day to make-up.
So it is IMHO extremely reasonably priced for what it is.

I have two sets almost finished that can leave this weekend.
Then it will be middle of next week before more can go out.

Steve
The first few orders should be arriving on doorsteps next week so hopefully some independent opinions on props and effect should come in.
This reminds me of my favorite aspects of The Fallen and Espy-onage. I have peformed the Fallen and gotten a great reaction even when I screwed up and revaled the wrong soldier. I'm going to be watching this one very closely. Congrats, Stephen!
There is now a video trailer. wooooooh!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0bqF7pjHaA

Steve
I absolutely live the idea behind this effect as it touches me very personally. My grandfather was a B-24 navigator during WWII, and when he finally was granted leave to marry my grandmother, the rest if his squadron was redeployed to the Pacific theater. En route, his plane (without him on it) crashed into a mountain during a bombing run with all crew lost, except for two whose remains were never identified or found, hence they were classified as MIA, but presumed to have perished. It was a story that I only learned about a year or so before his death, after I had joined up to serve as well. Out of six generations of my family that have served in the Armed Forces, he and I were the only ones to have seen combat and the horror and heartache that it brings. With that in mind though, I have one or two quick questions:
1) You state that it will be possible to ID the service branch that the MIA was in. Are there any names that are from the US, and if so, are they classified as US Army Air Corps, as the Aur Force (at least in the US) didn't exist as a seperate service branch until appx 1947?
2) What are the size if these files, and are they based upon actual examples of MIA files?

Greatly looking forward to these answers, as I believe that not only would this make an amazing addition to my act, but would also in a way honor those crew members that served with my grandfather who were never officially identified.
@armymagic. Posted an answer in the other thread.

Thank you George for your help with the video.
I have just watched the trailer. What a fantastic production, surely a nominee for The Magic Oscars if there is such a thing!
Steve, it was a pleasure to help. I have a lot of spare time at the moment so it helps keep me out of mischief :) Glad peole are liking the tráiler.
I'm away to Portugal at the end of the week.

Any orders for MIA that arrive before tomorrow evening will get sent before I leave.
Any that come in after that will have to wait until I get back on the 26th.

Steve
Only two days before the special introductory price finishes.

Steve
[quote]
On 2013-10-17 15:07, Stephen Young wrote:
Only two days before the special introductory price finishes.

Steve
[/quote]

What will be the price after the special introductory price expires?
The regular price will be 125 euros

Steve
There are only four sets of MIA available from the first batch.
There will be no more before Christmas.

So if you want something super special. be quick.

steve
Anyone thinking about it, just get it you wont be dissappointed, I have only performed it three times so far but the reactions are wonderful. Great routine.