(Close Window)
Topic: Save your money
What tricks have you gotten this year that you should save your money on and bought?
Basically you want a list of "lemons".
Message: Posted by: Harry the magic man (Oct 4, 2013 06:04PM)
Spirit
Inexplicable - this is not a bad trick, but I got the feeling that it was extremely over-hyped; there are better methods out there plus the implementation itself (the gimmicked prediction) could have been chosen better. Not worth it.
No Diary Diary - again, very nice idea with a bad implementation. No useful pattern for the performer to compute the card, but a visible pattern for the spectator with a chance to be picked up. Not really an improvement over the original Cronologue from Bob Cassidy. Although I have to say that the gimmick finish was perfect. I wish a little bit more thought was put into.
Kind of "what were they thinking".
Thumb Tips ( since they keep selling them ). They can't examine your hands and we know how important it is for punters to examine everything, otherwise the trick sucks ( in Vegas everyone leaves their seats and goes on stage to examine everything ).
Zombie, I guess you are attempting the prize for the worst analogy, right? :)
If the thumb tip would have been shipped fluorescent green I would (almost) agree with you. The point is that a TT as a tool is supposed to never been seen by a spectator. A prediction (or the calendar cards which are in the hands of the spectator) is something totally different.
Have to agree with Zombie Magic. TT's are just to 'gimmicked' Pure slieght of hand is so much better.

I'm also disappointed with Sharpie Pens. That ink is way too permanent! Using one can totally spoil even a top quality deck of cards.

:)
[quote]
On 2013-10-05 15:51, paperinick wrote:
The point is that a TT as a tool is supposed to never been seen by a spectator.
[/quote]

??????????? I'll have to read the instructions again.

I bought my first one in 1965, made of metal so us kids could vanish lit cigs. Now we have a society of big babies where kids can't even bring knives to school. When will the madness end?
Yeah. Lately I've been using a TT instead of IT
Not going well... I know spectators aren't supposed to be able to see it, but they keep asking me why I have the coin balanced on my thumb... Am I doing something wrong?
I think there is a misunderstanding. I will restate my point:
If you were a TT manufacturer and you could choose between skin color and fluorescent, which one would you choose? Choosing fluorescent when you have the option to go with something closer to skin color seems pretty dumb. That's all. This is I believe what happened with both tricks I mentioned. They could have gone skin-color but they picked fluorescent. What were they thinking...
True. I'd definitely like a fluorescent sharpie. Does anyone know if they are being manufactured?
Be ideal for dark venues.
My first TT was metal, too. My dad gave it to me when I was 11 years old. I wish I still had it.

I'm trying to think of the worst trick I bought this year. I wasn't real crazy about "Coincidence" by Kreis Magic.

I thought it was cheaply made and the method could have been a lot better. Also, the coins weren't really glued - they were taped, so I thought the ad was misleading.

Robert
Ballinger's DOS System looked great on the video demo. It's just "ok". It was only about $20 and you got a DVD. But it made things far more complicated than they needed to be and was a brand/color specific prop.
Hotel. Snooze fest. Not sure why I bought it.
Count me among those whose first TT was metal. And, yes, it was marketed as the disappearing cigarette in handkerchief trick.
I believe what the original poster was trying to say was:

What tricks do you regret purchasing so far this year?
[quote]
On 2013-10-05 18:03, emyers99 wrote:
[/quote]

I actually had been contemplating getting this. Thanks for the heads up.
[quote]
On 2013-10-05 20:05, Alwow wrote:
[quote]
On 2013-10-05 18:03, emyers99 wrote:
[/quote]

I actually had been contemplating getting this. Thanks for the heads up.
[/quote]

I have had hotel for a couple months and I use it all the time, I love it! It isn't really a presentation piece, but rather just a casual offbeat effect.. I love performing it! Pretty much self-working too. No sleights
Old method and a lot to carry. I tried to give away at last magic meeting and no one wanted it. It works fine. Just not that powerful IMO.
[quote]
On 2013-10-05 21:03, emyers99 wrote:
Old method and a lot to carry. I tried to give away at last magic meeting and no one wanted it. It works fine. Just not that powerful IMO.
[/quote]

Agreed. I really wanted to like it. Just seemed too contrived.
Inexplicable
Frye's Chips
Self Bending Paperclip
Anima

.... All trash.
Lol @ ZombieMagic you guys are silly
[quote]
On 2013-10-05 21:03, emyers99 wrote:
[/quote]
I'd take it lol
Penciltration. I even got a replacement sent out to replace the first broken one. That one was broken too. But even if not broken this is about the worst penetration device I have owned.

Jim
I bought a used copy of HUG by Nefesch. The massive swell of controversy got the better of my curiosity. I knew I would probably not be able to physically do the main effect (I was right), but I just had to know. I also picked up the Loyal Coin Vanish download. The vanish is great, but the coin to shoe effect can't be done by gentlemen of size, AKA, fatties like me.
Coincidence. I haven't found a way to make it work which would be worth the time or money invested.
PokerFace. Just not for me. Don't have the stones to pull off the G***ey *e*k thing. My loss I guess. :-(

Greig
Magicmarkworldwide2 -

What is so bad about Frye's Chips?
Scarves- All they do is conceal the real magic.
Rope- Most everyone just thinks that I am being knotty.
String- People don't get the effects and feel I am just pulling them along.
Cards- Shuffle and shuffle for hours but all I get is tired feet.
Balls- I get spherely depressed when... Oh never mind.
Thimbles- They just don't work for me. I have more pin pricks than ever before.
I really didn't care for the effect Movement.
What did you not like about it?
Going back to the October posts: why are there so many people who don't like the TT, but first bought one this year? I too still have my metal one from 30 some years ago (and a few others).

Bought Movemint. I like the concept. Play with it at home, performed for a couple of friends at my house - well received, but never take it out of the house. I never thought about why until daffydoug asked here, but I think it is just to big for how "small" it plays. I have other things that don't take much room in my pockets and can play very big - like a TT, for example.
Ahhhhhhhhhh! Light goes on!
Even though this has been around for a while, I believe this year I actually bought Creature 2, after already owning Creature 1. I thought the color would be a better match. Boy was I wrong. I guess I deserve it after not learning my lesson after buying the first one!
METALISM: Self Bending Paperclip by Menny Lindenfeld- I will never use this method
Mintalist by Peter Eggink and Uday Jadugar- Great concept just not reliable
Pen Pal by Alexis de la Fuente & Mark Mason- Another that I will never use because there are many many far superior methods
The Poker Test by Erik Casey- Poorly "made" cards
I had to send my "Poker Test" back, too, because the cards were poorly "made".
Super Sharpie
Unfortunatley there are far too many well produced magic effect trailers that show an amazing trick from the perfect angle with an edited soundtrack. Then when you get them delivered, they only work from one angle or are too noisy revealing its method. I call this youtube magic. The real trick is finding the one perfect time and place to use it to get your money's worth.

We can all learn from being burnt and be more cautious about the effects we buy.
Haha just laughed at the first couple posts. I was hoping it would continue.
Lemons IMO based on some of the top sellers and pop releases

Sansminds Sharpie
52 Shades of Red
one by one
self levitation 2.0
Red

That is about it for me atm.
Radio Active

Just a piece of tech repackaged as a magic trick.
For me it would have to be Flik by Alexis De La Fuente.

I know others have had success with it but I just could not get it to behave reliably, at least for my style, although I tried many techniques and substances before throwing in the towel. I really wanted to make it work.
The gimmick would either release prematurely or barely at all. I just couldn't trust it and besides, there are better moving hole effects anyway IMHO.
The included DVD left a lot to be desired as well, both in production and content.

Plus, I feel it was very overpriced at $36.00. Similar card gaffs for different types of effects (but utilizing similar methodology) sell for under $10.00.
But even for over 40 bucks with shipping it did not come ready to go right out of the box (or should I say flat-pack envelope).
No Question the self bending paper clip must be the worse trick of 2013 !
Movemint
[quote]
On 2014-01-14 22:25, videoman wrote:
For me it would have to be Flik by Alexis De La Fuente.

I know others have had success with it but I just could not get it to behave reliably, at least for my style, although I tried many techniques and substances before throwing in the towel. I really wanted to make it work.
The gimmick would either release prematurely or barely at all. I just couldn't trust it and besides, there are better moving hole effects anyway IMHO.
The included DVD left a lot to be desired as well, both in production and content.

Plus, I feel it was very overpriced at $36.00. Similar card gaffs for different types of effects (but utilizing similar methodology) sell for under $10.00.
But even for over 40 bucks with shipping it did not come ready to go right out of the box (or should I say flat-pack envelope).
[/quote]

Hey Videoman !

We did have a conversation about Flik and I gave you advices on how to use it. It's pretty strange that you can't make it work.. I use mine nearly every week without having a problem.

Maybe use different brand of DST, wear it a little bit more or less. Or even use your finger ! It works pretty well too and you have "more" control.

As for the price, I don't have control on it so I'm sorry if you feel that it is overpriced.
Alex, no hard feelings at all from me. I respect your creativity and will certainly still purchase other products you release, so keep putting out effects.
Spent a few weeks trying various methods, substances and refinements but couldn't get Flik to be sure-fire, by that I mean locked and loaded and ready to go when I need it.
The finger method did not work for me but works great for others, so maybe it's just me, I will admit that. I am speaking for only myself when I say it was a disappointment.
Perhaps I will give it another go.

I'm considering purchasing Frame and maybe that will end up on my trick of the year of the list. I would definitely love that to be the case.
I completely understand your point of view :) No hard feeling from me too !

Hope you will like Frame in case you buy it, on this one, you have FULL control :P