(Close Window)
Topic: Napkin rose/ creator unknown
I leared to make this rose from a VHS tape many years ago . sorry I don't know
who the creator is, but for me it is the simpilest and most elegant of all the napkin roses I have seen ....
for a tutorial contact me ,If anyone knows who the creator is please let me know......

http://youtu.be/9ly-41uuGzo beautiful napkin rose
I have aDVD I bought some years ago teaching this, its by Michael Mode, don't remember where I bought it, possibly Magic Madrid. Good effect on the ladies though.
The 1st I was exposed to it was when Kevin James did it for his Floating Rose routine. He explained how to make it. I do recall him giving mention where he discovered it,b but I would have to watch the whole tape to again, as it has now been many years. It is most likely from an Origami source.
I agree, Bill. The first time I saw it was at an Abbott GTG when Kevin James did it. I too, think it came to 'us' from Origami.
I know Michael and I don't think he takes credit for creating the Napkin Rose. What I believe he brought to the party was half colored napkins. One half red and one half green for instance. This allows for bright colored petals and a green stem.

In addition to Kevin James, Simon Lovell was another I saw early on use a napkin rose.
I have a kind of skewed history of seeing this myself. As a child growing up in Barcelona, I first saw a Chinese immigrant who was very, very good with origami fold a rose out of tissue paper. To date this is the only "non-magical" person that I have seen making one.

The first magician I saw do it, being in Europe, was indeed Simon Lovell, then came Kevin James with his effect par-excellence. After that it was a long time before I saw Michael Mode and his two-colour napkins (which was an ingenious idea, if you ask me). I never watched his video so I do not know what credits he mentions, but in his demos I have heard him mention both Kevin James and Simon Lovell.

As best I can tell and without my order of experience being of any influence, I also believe that we get the paper rose from the origami world. I have seen other people (non-magicians or as I like to say, 'muggles') make paper roses and hand them to a friend or walk off with one - most of them being made from thinner origami paper or tissue paper and I cannot recall ever seeing any of them use napkins.
I have seen many types of npkin roses but never one that looked this good. as I said I have the instructions to this one and I can send instructions and perhaps it can be compared to othe rose constructions

vinny
That really is a beautiful napkin rose. I am actually embarrassed at just how bad mine is by comparison lol
Message: Posted by: XavrosStalkingwolf (Jan 17, 2014 06:57AM)
Thanks for sharing, vinsmagic. I've seen Simon Lovell's Twisted Rose and Chris Randall's Napkin Rose, from the easter egg video on the Art of Astonishment Vol. 3. It seems to be the little touches, like the multi-layered petals and the 45 degree angle fold at the top, that make these so good. The creation of the leaf on the stem is just a bit different on yours, but overall they're very similar. Good stuff!
Docc Hilford did a napkin rose video as well.
[quote]
On 2013-10-14 03:53, vinsmagic wrote:
I leared to make this rose from a VHS tape many years ago . sorry I don't know
who the creator is, but for me it is the simpilest and most elegant of all the napkin roses I have seen ....
for a tutorial contact me ,If anyone knows who the creator is please let me know......

http://youtu.be/9ly-41uuGzo beautiful napkin rose
[/quote]

vin, that is a nice rose. I learned from Simon. He makes a nice looking rose. Very similar to yours. The leaf seems a bit smaller than yours. The one thing I do differently is I trim the flower with my swiss army pocket knife scissors to make it look more like petals. I sometimes use the multi-colored napkins and they look just like a rose. I like to ask the kids if they can smell the rose. It is so realistic, they sometimes believe they can smell it.

KJ
Vinny, this is a very pretty rose. You rock.

Ray
If someone can walk me through the whole posting a picture thing, I'll post a picture of my rose.

It's very unique, and many have said it is the best napkin rose they have ever seen. (Including all of the Monday Night Magic Alumni).

It is also made from a single cocktail napkin. I learned how to make it years ago and it has served me well. It is COMPLETELY different from the roses posted above...
Is it the "puffy" type paper rose? Been making them for over 20 years.
Nope, not the "puffy" kind of rose
When I make a rose I end up putting a drop of "Rose" essential oil on it. One drop and you now have the smell of roses for them also.

-Ron