(Close Window)
Topic: The Misdirection Effect
Has Liam given us another great effect?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UzlC8xgUgHo
A routine very similar to this was in one of Liam's books. He's added a nice touch of having the words on the back.

Does anyone know which book it is in? I can't find it
I love this trick. Liam has done something absolutely brilliant, here (big surprise). Can't go into details but it's an excellent touch to an otherwise great effect.

The other great thing about this trick is that he has made it pretty much self working. There's no sleight of hand in this version.

So good.
This is great. I love effects like this. Like Aronsons side swiped etc. Love it.
Suitable for walk around? How about reset?
Fast reset... Just about instant. You only need to put the Aces back into the deck and you're ready to go. I had worked on this effect to demo at Magic Live. Unfortunately, it wasn't ready in time for ML, so I didn't wind up performing it. But I had a blast playing around with it!
Liam is one of my favorite thinkers in magic and this is just another perfect reason why!
I love it!

Mike
I think I enjoy Henry Sugar better than this effect but I am sure if it appeals to you, it is a worker, Liam has some very good thoughts and ideas.
Liam showed me this a while ago and I actually begged him to release it. I'm so glad it worked! Mr Montier is a genius and when you buy this, you'll see what I mean!

Iain.
[quote]
On 2013-10-15 04:45, Iain Moran wrote:
Liam showed me this a while ago and I actually begged him to release it. I'm so glad it worked! Mr Montier is a genius and when you buy this, you'll see what I mean!

Iain.
[/quote]
Iain,Would you use this commercially? I know you are very concious of angles etc!
[quote]
Iain,Would you use this commercially? I know you are very concious of angles etc!
[/quote]
I absolutely would to be honest. There's no bad angles, etc, to worry about and this is a very commercial routine. There's seriously nothing not to love about this.

Iain.
[quote]
On 2013-10-14 20:00, Wravyn wrote:
I think I enjoy Henry Sugar better than this effect but I am sure if it appeals to you, it is a worker, Liam has some very good thoughts and ideas.
[/quote]

How can you even compare this to Henry Sugar? :) Two completely different types of routines.
I really like when you recognize some of the cool principles which are used in a very clever way. Liam is the man.

Mike
Thanks guys! There's a review up here...

http://www.bicycle-cards.co.uk/2013/09/25/misdirection-effect-review/

Cheers,

Liam.
Very good behind the scenes review! Man BBM has been in my top picks for the gems they keep dropping every other month!
So no one knows what PDF the similar effect is from?
Departure Box from The Kapow ebook. Also on the Kapow DVD set
Having done a bit of research, the method for this effect is described in Hugards Encylopedia of card tricks page 286. Nothing new in Magic then! How many other Little gems are hidden away, I wonder?
Just curious corindaman...How do you know it's the same method? Do you have The Misdirection Effect?
Uh, corindaman, I just looked at page 266 of EOCT and this trick is not in there. Nothing even similar. Doesn't surprise me, though, as one of the principles was only published about 20 years ago (and is credited by Liam).
I'm confused Cameron you state you looked at page 266 of EOCT but Corndamin wrote it was found on page 286. Was this just a typo?
[quote]
On 2013-10-19 09:29, Rabid wrote:
Just curious corindaman...How do you know it's the same method? Do you have The Misdirection Effect?

[/quote]

Yes I do and it is one hell of an effect, just saying the basics are there in EOCD! It is under the heading 'controlling several cards'.
Sorry. My mistake. But having looked at page 286, there is no similar trick to this in there either. Again, though, this effect would not be in EOCT as it is a combination of various principles, one of which was only published within the last 20 years or so.
Definately page 286. This is written up as a control, but the basics of the misdirection effect are there.
Okay, you are talking about the MRD Deck, not The Misdirection Effect. Different trick. :)

Thread here:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=524075&forum=218&220
Oops ,sorry I meant the MRD effect!
No offense -- but there is no "principle" required for this effect that is less than twenty years old. There is, perhaps, an interesting "subtlety" that makes the effect slightly more interesting. But a stronger, simpler (in how it appears to the spectators -- though more difficult to execute), and more direct (and very similar) effect is found on page 81 of Darwin Ortiz at the Card Table (published in 1988). While the "misdirection" presentation is nice, that could easily be layered onto Mr. Ortiz' masterpiece.
Well, the subtlety is used in conjunction with the thing I'm talking about. I don't know that it makes anything more interesting. But it does makes things easy. :)
[quote]
On 2013-10-18 09:30, Cameron Francis wrote:
Departure Box from The Kapow ebook. Also on the Kapow DVD set
[/quote]

Thanks Cameron!
This looks really, really good.
When will this be hitting the US?
This is one of those effects that is not only baffling for the audience but SO much fun to perform! It's also one of the best constructed effects Ive seen for a while. Liam has eliminated pretty much any sleight of hand with the brilliant deck he has included! Everything moves like clockwork. Everything is motivated an everything about this makes me smile! I love Liams work but this has to be one of his best! So much thought put into it, this is a real workers effect! Top marks from me!

Jamie Daws
[quote]
On 2013-10-19 14:23, Christian Rey wrote:
When will this be hitting the US?
[/quote]

Penguin has it now http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S16123
Liam really seems to on a roll at the moment with his releases! Lets hope there is more to come!!!
I don't normally jump in on these forums on other peoples effect but You need to get this... Absolutely fooled me when a saw it performed live at a convention recently...best unexpected ending to any trick I have seen for a while and I did not see the ending coming.

perfect for that top table at a wedding gig...just hits so hard.

Giving this a big thumbs up!

Chris Webb
This looks Very good indeed, And Easy to perform.
But if you perform In a Wedding situation for table hopping In 5tables And sign 2 cards In every situation Your deck Will dissapear quicky I think...
And you have to buy again the effect???? To replace the deck!
[quote]
On 2013-10-22 14:26, Bruno Dias wrote:
But if you perform In a Wedding situation for table hopping In 5tables And sign 2 cards In every situation Your deck Will dissapear quicky I think...

[/quote]

Jut but a blank backe deck and write the oppropriate words on the appropriate cards. Just replace the selected cards when the deck seems to be getting low
Yes, you do not need to buy the DVD and deck again...
[quote]
On 2013-10-22 14:29, Magic.Maddy wrote:
[quote]
On 2013-10-22 14:26, Bruno Dias wrote:

[/quote]

Jut but a blank backe deck and write the oppropriate words on the appropriate cards. Just replace the selected cards when the deck seems to be getting low
[/quote]

Holy cow... I don't know why I have so many spelling mistakes in my post... Sorry about that everyone!
I've just watched the explanation for this effect and must say I was very surprised how much thought Liam has put into this to make it very easy to do.

The routine is well constructed and as mentioned above you don't need to replace the cards every time, but if working at a paid gig I'm sure it would be worth having the cards signed and giving them away.

You don't need to buy the whole trick again to refill you can just buy the required item, we stock them.

We have this in stock now at http://www.saturnmagic.co.uk/new-magic/the-misdirection-by-liam-montier-and-big-blind-media.html
Another winner from Liam :)
I wonder if the effect would be as impressive if the cards weren't signed.
I think the signing is key to the strength of the effect. if you don't want the cards signed, you can always use signed stickers which Liam suggests on the DVD.

I actually like the idea of using signed stickers (for some effects) as this is another layer of abstraction that leads the spectator down the garden path if they try to reverse engineer the method.

I also perform a similar effect (ouija card) - by Mark Bendell and again the signing is essential to make the effect strong, though this isn't a card box to pocket effect, its deck to pocket and has a bizzare magic plot.

For me the misdirection effect is a very strong card box to pocket effect, with a great plot and has several subtleties built all of which make the effect very fooling and a Magican fooler.
I guess you don't have to write MIS and DIRECTION on the cards? It would look stupid/suspicious if I used an english word when performing it in a country where english isn't a native language? How many times can you perform the effect with the included cards without getting the refill?
I think this probably would be fun to perform.

But I don't think it can touch Simon Aronson's Side-Swiped:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUtFkNcOxYQ