(Close Window)
Topic: The Artful Mentalism of Bob Cassidy Volume 2: Fundamentals
When I initially read the first volume of "The Artful Mentalism of Bob Cassidy" -- I admit that I didn't really understand it. I was fairly new to mentalism at the time and frankly, I lacked the performing chops to really grasp what I was reading. That changed with each subsequent reading. I've been through that book five times since and each time I understand more.

The most recent re-reading took place on an airplane to Vegas for MindVention. As I finished it, I clearly remember sitting quietly, looking out the window and feeling like that guy in the old Memorex ads -- the one who is sitting in an easy chair in front of a speaker with his hair getting blown back by the power of the sound. I felt overwhelmed...and genuinely grateful.

I'd decided to read it on the airplane, because I knew "The Artful Mentalism of Bob Cassidy, Volume 2: Fundamentals" was going to debut at MindVention (where Cassidy got a lifetime achievement award, by the way.)

I'd prepaid in advance and, as Jheff was just finishing his set-up in the dealer room, I had my copy.

MindVention runs on great teaching, sleep deprivation and good friends. I'm telling you this because at the end of each day, I'd sit down with this book and read something wonderful.

There are over 400 pages in this masterwork -- and it's classic Cassidy. What does that mean? You get many of the classic routines Bob Cassidy is known for like Fourth Dimensional Telepathy and an absolute classic discussion of Q and A. But you ALSO get some of the most precise thinking on mentalism anywhere. Cassidy knows what he's talking about and it shows in chapters like "Working It" and "Staging It" -- both about the presentation of mentalism. Both are worth the price of the book alone. You get the brilliant Fundamentals -- which really needs to be required reading for anyone considering mentalism.

There's too much in this book to detail here. WAY too much.

What am I saying? If you're just getting started in mentalism you need this book. If you've been performing mentalism for years -- you need this book. If you want to sit quietly and listen to one of the unquestioned masters of mentalism share some mind blowing, career creating material -- you need this book. It is, bar none, one of the very finest works on mentalism anywhere. It is literally a masterwork.

I suggest you read it carefully. It's well written and has an engaging style. But that means it's very much like sitting and talking with Bob. I've learned that some of the most useful things he has to share are delivered in an offhanded way. He'll throw off a gem hidden within a comment or two and then wait to see who was paying attention.

Pay attention to this book. It's literally a gift to the community.

In an age where some ebooks sell for hundreds of dollars -- this one will set you back around $60. Trust me: you can't make a better investment in your career than The Artful Mentalism of Bob Cassidy Volume 2: Fundamentals.

From me it's got five billets out of five -- and I'd give it six if that weren't mathematically impossible.

David
Thanks, David. You make me want to read it again myself.

H&R Magic Books did a beautiful job producing it. 411 glossy pages, hardbound with a dust jacket. It retails for $65.00 and is now available from most dealers. You can also order from Jheff's Marketplace of the mind at http://marketplaceofthemind.com
Volume one was one of the best books I have read on the subject. So this has to go on the buy fairly immediately list. Thanks for the review.
Thanks for he review, David. The "Art of Mentalism" is one of my favorite books. I was a broke graduate student and my mom sent me some fun money (as opposed to funny money). I was going through a rough time and I decided to order Bob's book. Opening the package and finding a green leather cover with gold foil embossed lettering hinted at the treasure inside. I was amazed with the content and his instruction on how to think and act like a mentalist. Ever since, I have looked to Bob's work for amazing material and sage advice. "The Artful Mentalism" book held to his incredibly high standard. It is with a Pavlovian salivation that I await my third hard back volume from the good doctor. Thanks for the generosity Bob.
Thanks for your thoughts David, as always I enjoy your posts. This will be an instant classic IMO and I'm sure many will agree. I've said this before and I'll say it again, Bobs "the artful mentalism of Bob Cassidy" first book changed me who I am as a mentalist. I can't wait to start reading this, especially with the updated material in which I have a feeling I'll be going back in time and performing some older routines/classics again.

Darren
Is there a list of the individual books that make up both vol. 1 & vol 2 of the Artful Mentalism series? I own almost everything Bob has put out in the original forms. Many comb bound or saddle stitched. Just seeing what I may be missing. I should compile a list of what I do have anyway.

Best of success with the new book.

~ Dan
David (and Bob)
I was just wondering about where this book is pitched with regard to experience?
David suggested that even someone just starting would benefit from this book. If one does not own vol 1 (due to not having started the mentalism journey at the time), is it still a good idea to purchase this book?
I like the idea that this book includes"Fundamentals" in the title - as that's what I'm after, but I was wondering if there are any suggested pre-requisites for getting the most out of the book.
I have been mulling purchasing some of Bob's work lately, but have not been able to figure out where to start, and I was hoping this book might be a way to get a good foundation. (I am working through Corinda - both the book as well as the Osterlind vids).
Thanks
Sparrowhwk,

I'm not sure what you mean by "where this book is pitched with regard to experience." If you're asking what type of experience you need, this book has info for all levels of experience, from the beginner to the professional. If that's not what you're asking, please clarify.

As to what books are in Volume 2 (as bdekolta asked), here's the list: FUNDAMENTALS, 21ST CENTURY Q&A, ONE MAN BILLET ROUTINES, STAGING IT, WORKING IT, UNIVERSE, SIDE EFFECTS, INTUITIVELY YOURS, THE ART OF MENTALISM 3, and A JOURNEY THROUGH THE FOURTH DIMENSION. All have re-edited. And, finally, one can certainly read this on its own without having volume one. I made sure of that when I edited this. So you can start with this book, if you like.

- Jheff
Jheff is right. Volume 2 is not a sequel to Volume 1. It simply contains things that I wrote AFTER I'd done the previous book. The first part of the new book, "Fundamentals" is, I believe, a perfect introduction to the art of professional mentalism. It should give you a solid foundation. (But, then again, I wrote it, so I'm biased. :eek:)

Good thoughts,

Bob
There's no question in my mind what book I'd recommend to someone new to mentalism...it would absolutely be Artful Mentalism Volume 2. Three key books are presented here: Fundamentals, Working It and Staging It. These are all three books that deal specifically with mentalism. I'd actually be inclined to say this would be THE book for aspiring mentalists as well as those who are already performing mentalism.

I've seen people recommend the 13 Steps and PME to newcomers and often thought these books, while excellent for performing mentalists, may not be the best choices for new mentalists.

Artful Mentalism 2 is the one to read.

David
Hi Jheff, Bob and David
Thank you for the replies. You have answered my questions. I wanted to be sure that this book would be useful and worthwhile for someone who has not read any other Bob Cassidy material, and has only recently begun to study the art of mentalism.
Order placed.
Thanks
I'm very interested in the 4th dimensional telepathy effect. What book should I start with, Vol. 1 or Vol. 2? Suggestions?
4DT is more extensively covered in Volume 2.
Bob...thanks so much for the information! I really didn't expect to hear from the author! I love the effect!
Nothing makes me feel like an amateur quite like reading Bob's books. I know if I read enough he'll rub off on me. With him on one shoulder and Ken Weber on the other, there won't be room left for those pesky little red imps.

I agree with David (no surprise). There are so many good books to read but this is the one I'll recommend to beginners and I'm still getting a lot out of it. I think I'm being truthful when I write that I never felt like a mindreader until I started applying Bob's advice about what makes mentalism work, especially his thoughts on Q&A. I still haven't arrived but I'm moving along faster. I'm re-reading Fundamentals, the first ebook reprinted in this volume, for the second time in three months. Last night I found something delicious in the Scary Movie routine that I had missed the first and second time around. That's good eatin'. For $65 we've struck gold.
My copy arrived today! I'm looking forward to reading it.
My copy came today. The postman also bought me a package full of obscure records from Italy. I am now going to curl up on my sofa and listen to garage rock and roll and read me some Bob Cassidy, life doesn't get much better.
My initial thought is, what the hell is this book made of? It weighs a ton! I should get a good work out reading this.
It has a lot of heavy ideas in it. :eek:
I spent tonight reading this book. Just the discussion in Fundamentals was so great to read again. And the Q and A segment? Amazing! Just with reference to the history and different methods...what a great resource. (But I bet you knew I was going to say that.)

David
Thanks, David. I really appreciate the kind words. I think that if I was asked to recommend any single one of my books, this would be the one.

Good thoughts,

Bob
[quote]
On 2013-11-23 20:07, mastermindreader wrote:
Thanks, David. I really appreciate the kind words. I think that if I was asked to recommend any single one of my books, this would be the one.

Good thoughts,

Bob
[/quote]

Ordering this one for sure.
Just Ordered my Copy!!!!!

Rod
This is absolutely a fantastic book, I am not new to Bob Cassidy ideas, but the beauty of this book, is that more you read and more you find something interesting, and honestly there is so much "inspirational" material that the book is alreayd full of post it notes!!
Thanks, Luca. Glad you're finding some useful ideas in it.

Best-

Bob
I received my Book today (Friday). I cannot wait until I have the time to sit down and read this BOOK from a True Master.

Rodney
When I get to a show early (which is ALL the time...since I am just a wee bit compulsive about not rushing) there's a book on the seat beside me. It's a heavy book. And, once I've triple checked everything and have a few minutes to relax, I open this book and read.

I'm on my third read-through now. This time, I'm going slowly, giving the material time, study and consideration.

Let me go out on a limb and say this: "Fundamentals" is the single best book EVER on the subject of mentalism. I mean it. The blending of brilliant-will-work-in-the-real-world routines and insightful thoughts and advice on how mentalism is to be performed makes it an instant classic.

I wish it had been given a different title because "2" suggests "sequel" or the whole notion that you should read Number 1 first. And, while the first book "The Artful Mentalism of Bob Cassidy" is a widely accepted classic -- "2" eclipses it.

If you don't have this book yet -- if you've been putting off the decision to purchase it -- can I respectfully suggest that you don't delay another second. This isn't just a book. It's a resource, it's a pile of powerful routines it's state of the art thinking from a guy who proves his expertise here every day. It's an investment in getting better at everything you do.

Take it with you on the road...let it keep company with you in those beige hotel rooms. It doesn't matter where you are in your development as a performer, there's great material in here that will make you better.

Fundamentals is a treasure. It's a gift to the community.

Thanks, Bob. You rock.

David
You're killing me David! I may have to sell a couple things to justify ONE more purchase this year, lol.
OK Bill, time to pony up the dough for this book. The BEST Book Bob has written to date.

Rodney
My order is placed. Thanks for all the thoughts on this.
I have my copy now and am only on page 34 and have had several aha moments already. Sometimes I have them from a single line, sometimes a paragraph is thought-provoking. This is a MUST HAVE book for beginners and for mentalists who want to progress further in the art.

I apologise to Mr. Cassidy for my previous post about this book and not recognising his genius earlier during our discussions of the diary trick.

I was not s experienced with his written work as I am going to become but somebody who can make you think about your work is a true master not just a salesman of principles.
That's really what it's about...what a good book should accomplish. The author should make you THINK about your own routine...your own presentation...make you challenge and reexamine many of the things you have held as true.

"Aha" moments are what it's all about. As you said, cirrus...'Fundamentals' is full of them.

So many new books feature routine after routine. I understand this, because that's what people seem to be interested in buying. But a discussion about WHY certain decisions are made and HOW a single nuance might transform a good effect into a great one is far more valuable to me, personally.

I learn by studying what someone more experienced than myself puts before me. That's what makes this book truly spectacular. You get classic routines like 4DT, a fascinating take on Q and A and so much more...but more importantly you get the thinking that goes into their design. That's where the real gold is hidden.

Don't even consider "Staging It" and "Working It" -- both of which deal with the often ignored aspects of actually performing a mentalism show...the unique things that have to be considered.

I cannot imagine why this book isn't in every working mentalist's hands.

David
To me this book is in the top 3 of mentalism and is a must read for everyone that dares to call himself a mentalist. These aren`t bold statements. To me next to how it is done, why it is done is equally important. My magic improved once I read the classics of magic theory. I`m only just more then half a year studying mentalism and from the 9 books I have bought about mentalism, this one is the best because it teaches me why.
Now I'm going to have to read the whole thing again just to see what I wrote!

Thanks for the nice comments. Makes me feel like it was worth writing.

Best-

Bob
I just received a very nice Christmas gift from my third grade class. I'll be using part of that gift to pick up this book. Merry Christmas to me!
[quote]
On 2013-12-18 20:31, mastermindreader wrote:
Thanks for the nice comments. Makes me feel like it was worth writing.
[/quote]

You have never put pen to paper and been anything but worthy! Everyone should read your work more than once. There is much to be missed.
As I anxiously await the arrival of this book, besides the essays and Bob's thinking, what are some of your favorite routines from this book?
4dt is a classic.

Although Bob`s thinking will make you put the book more then once, because he will give you a lot of info.
I have read enough of this fine volume to appreciate Bob (and Jheff) even more than before. But, having said that, the book could have been even more useful to its readers.

My problem is with the print publication of what were formerly ebooks. The standard for ebooks is simply lower than for books by good publishers, which can show rather unmercifully when ebooks find their way into print without update or revision. Three examples, all from the "Thirty-Nine Steps" of the Fundamentals chapter, will show what I mean.

1. Page 111 initially says that the title of T. A. Waters' text is Man, Myth, and Magic.

2. On p. 101, the recommendation of Maven/Goldstein's Color Series regrets that the four books are now "hard to find." The reader would have been even better served with the updated information that all of the books are now available in Maven's Prism.

3. I marveled that the 39 most recommended books has not changed at all since the ebook came out a decade or so ago. I take Bob at his word that these are the books that most shaped Bob's thinking but, if the goal is a top 39 most recommended books, has NOTHING been published in more recent years that would replace ANY of the books on the original list?

If this is mere quibbling, I apologize.

George
Don't know how "Man" instead of "Mind" got into the title of Water's book. It is correct in the rest of the section, though.

The book took at least a few months of correcting and editing. Sorry a few errors slipped through.

As far as updating the 39 Steps goes, it will happen eventually, but I believe the list is still valid. (And I hesitate to include more recent works for fear of offending authors whose works I don't include.)

It does, however, show the works that I still consider to be essential.

Good thoughts,

Bob
Bob:

No Problem. The error-free published book is almost a fiction.

George
David,

You have inspired more than a few (including me) to purchase a copy. Thanks for your thoughtful posts!

Regards,
Mike

[quote]
On 2013-12-11 16:33, David Thiel wrote:
When I get to a show early (which is ALL the time...since I am just a wee bit compulsive about not rushing) there's a book on the seat beside me. It's a heavy book. And, once I've triple checked everything and have a few minutes to relax, I open this book and read.

I'm on my third read-through now. This time, I'm going slowly, giving the material time, study and consideration.

Let me go out on a limb and say this: "Fundamentals" is the single best book EVER on the subject of mentalism. I mean it. The blending of brilliant-will-work-in-the-real-world routines and insightful thoughts and advice on how mentalism is to be performed makes it an instant classic.

I wish it had been given a different title because "2" suggests "sequel" or the whole notion that you should read Number 1 first. And, while the first book "The Artful Mentalism of Bob Cassidy" is a widely accepted classic -- "2" eclipses it.

If you don't have this book yet -- if you've been putting off the decision to purchase it -- can I respectfully suggest that you don't delay another second. This isn't just a book. It's a resource, it's a pile of powerful routines it's state of the art thinking from a guy who proves his expertise here every day. It's an investment in getting better at everything you do.

Take it with you on the road...let it keep company with you in those beige hotel rooms. It doesn't matter where you are in your development as a performer, there's great material in here that will make you better.

Fundamentals is a treasure. It's a gift to the community.

Thanks, Bob. You rock.

David

[/quote]
This is such a fantastic book. A definite "must have" for any mentalist!
I am only 30 pages in and I already love this book. Bob's thoughts in the beginning are inspiring and the first effect had my head spinning with different ways to use that principle. I especially liked the inclusion of psycho-linguistics to help make effects happen in the moment. I can't wait to get further into this book.
I was going to include psycho ceramics, but I decided against it.

But thank you all for the kind words. I hope you all find the book useful to you on your journeys in mentalism.
I had to use a bit of deception Bob. I ordered your new book through another entertainer's credit card. I do some psychic entertainment but I can't afford to have my spouse do some psycho stuff if she sees my credit card statement. Can't wait to receive it. The lecture was fantastic.

Ray
I got this for Christmas. Should I get volume 1 and read it before I start on volume 2 to get the most out of it?

Eric
[quote]
On 2014-01-07 20:13, lightman wrote:
I got this for Christmas. Should I get volume 1 and read it before I start on volume 2 to get the most out of it?

Eric
[/quote]

No. The book is not a sequel to Volume 1. In fact, you would probably be better off reading Volume 2 first. (See earlier posts in this thread where this is discussed at length.)

Good thoughts,

Bob

(I'm thinking of calling my next book "Volume 5" just for fun.)
Great. Thank you Mr. C. I guess I really should have read the thread more carefully.

Eric
Received the book yesterday. I only had a chance to skim it. This is a beautifully bound book with gloss pages, filled with over 400 pages of excellent commercial material. Looking forward to devouring this book.

Ray
[quote]Looking forward to devouring this book.[/quote]

Ray-

DO NOT eat the book!

Hope you find it useful, though,

Best-

Bob
LOL Bob. I've been drooling over it for a long time. I put on a bib so I wouldn't ruin the dust cover.

Ray
Bobs work and writings are outstanding, I have read his first two books (Art of Mentalism & Artful Mentalism 1)
and currently reading this one.

His writings are essential reading for the serious student of Mentalism.

It's not about tricks as I have heard Bob say. Forget all the one effect videos on the market
and the gizmos, Bobs teachings are the way to go.

And in this volume he gives some great advise for additional reading as well,
it's money well spent. Bob is the master !
Thanks. You obviously have good taste, Renzo. :eek:
Thank you good doctor
Just a note to thank all of those who have purchased the book and have found it valuable. We're currently planning another one to come out, hopefully, by the end of this year.

Good thoughts,

Bob
Awesome news!
As I praised Bob up in the 'Penny', I'd still like to add that this book & his Penguin lecture are great.
I'm so glad I bought them!

Bob, can you hint at what might be in the next book?

I'm planning on buying more of your ebooks but I wouldn't want to duplicate something that may end up in your next book.

I have AT LEAST 30 of your products (ebooks, audio seminars, teleseminar notes, book, DVDs).

Thanks,
Mark
Haven't made up my mind yet about the contents of the next book, although I expect it will include material from Dr Crow.
Thanks, Bob.

I don't know if I can wait until the end of the year. It comes down to saving some bucks, so I guess I'll wait.
I'll just re-re-read what I have of yours from the following:

Hardcovers:
Artful Mentalism of Bob Cassidy
Artful Mentalism of Bob Cassidy 2: Fundamentals

MP3s:
Artful Mentalism Seminar
Artful Mentalism Seminar: Three Secrets
Artful Mentalism Seminar: Logical Disconnect
Artful Mentalism Seminar: Seance
The Act: Beyond Fundamentals

Ebooks:
Unified Remote Viewing: Fly on the Wall
Scorpio’s Message
Dreams & Devices
Schattenjaeger
PSI Apps
Mastermind Papers
Mind Burners
Intuitively Yours
Laboratory Conditions
Pseudomentally Yours
Return of the White Dwarf
Invisible Billet
Resurrection of Dr. Crow

DVDs:
Mental Miracles
Black Box Cinema
Penguin Lecture

You ARE the Master!

Thanks again
That tears it. I have to get this book.
Is artful mentalism 1 available anywhere. It seems to be out of stock everywhere. Or will there be another printing of it?
I understand that a second edition may be released in the future.
That's good news! I'm enjoying volume 2 immensely. Have added 4dt to my act which I performed at the magic Circle. So much fun to perform. We need you to come and give a lecture in London.
Pauly-

It may be worth calling stores to ask if they still have volume 1. I got the last copy from Williams Magic and it was not on their website. Asking in person made the difference.

And I really like vol. 1.

-Patrick
Seems a great book. But do I need to get vol.1 first?
[quote]
On Mar 3, 2014, emptysafe wroteIU
Seems a great book. But do I need to get vol.1 first?
[/quote]

No. I was against calling the new book Volume 2 precisely because I thought it would create the impression that it was a continuation of the first book. I lost the argument.

If anything, I think that Volume 2 should be read first.
[quote]
On Mar 1, 2014, mastermindreader wrote:
I understand that a second edition may be released in the future.
[/quote]

This sounds great! I hope this comes to fruition. Need a copy.

And as far the the new book in the near future, well, amazing news!!! I hope that it has a little about reading or some reading system/ideas.
I just hope that Dr. Crow/Croix and Dr. Bob don't get in any arguments while trying to determine what to include in Dr. Crow's book (if it even does come to fruition).

Hopefully (regular) Bob C. will be the mediator.
Whatever happens, I'm sure it will be a great endeavor.

And if the book is done by the year's end, it will be great for us all. I have a few of Bob's alter ego publications & they are terrific, too!

Adding a little 'hooch' will make it even a BETTER endeavor, probably more like an adventure.
A nice "supplement" to the book is my recent Penguin release, "Billet Killers." It's a one hour demonstration of billet work and is available as a digital video at http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/4093 for just twenty dollars.

Good thoughts,

Bob
Fantastic. Downloaded. Is there an eta for vol 1 reprint and vol 3?
Not yet, but will keep everyone posted.
Recently a friend asked me to recommend a good resource on Q and A. There are many good options, of course. But you know what came to mind, right? The Q and A segment of Artful Mentalism 2 rivals anything else out there in terms of history as well as theory and method.

This is the book I wish I'd had when I was just learning the basics of mentalism.

David
[quote]
On Mar 24, 2014, David Thiel wrote:
Recently a friend asked me to recommend a good resource on Q and A. There are many good options, of course. But you know what came to mind, right? The Q and A segment of Artful Mentalism 2 rivals anything else out there in terms of history as well as theory and method.

This is the book I wish I'd had when I was just learning the basics of mentalism.

David
[/quote]

I could agree to this. The book in general is simply a good read.

Also, unfortunately for me, I read wrong before. I thought there was a planned reprint of The Art of Mentalism, not AMoBC1. Oh well.
Big Fan of Bob's Work, I will hope fully buy this before the year ends :)
Is there a contents for this book? Tried a few websites but no joy
[quote]On Nov 5, 2016, pancho247 wrote:
Is there a contents for this book? Tried a few websites but no joy [/quote]

You can review that info here, but just buy it!!!!!

http://www.marketplaceofthemind.com/artfment2.html
Thanks for he review, David. The "Art of Mentalism" is one of my favorite books
Yes, a superb work.
Message: Posted by: teenagelabotomy42 (Apr 19, 2019 11:21AM)
All these great reviews have convinced me to pick it up!
Without a doubt, this is a fantastic book.

Ray