(Close Window)
Topic: Ideas with PK ring
I have PK ring that I purchased a while ago and am looking for ideas other than the "coin in bottle" routine.
Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike
Randi Rain has a set of DVDs on PK ring stuff. Jiggernaut uses an otherwise normal jigger measure and a ball to do a rather fun single cup and ball routine. Flying Matches does a series of fascinating match transpositions, sort of like a coin matrix, but with paper matches.

Really, I find that I get the best results if I start with the idea that I want to create a particular effect, then I look at the methods I have available. However, a brainstorming session on what-all I can do with a particular prop can also be valuable. Last time I did this it was with a handkerchief. Turns out I could do nearly 20 minutes with a square of cloth as at least one of the active props!

With a shimmed coin, you can do a very clean-looking vanish from your hand, just cover briefly with the other hand. With a shimmed penny shell, you can change a penny into a dime. It might be strong enough to do the magic clinging spoons. Use it to activate a reed switch for a device you want to turn on without having to actually touch it. Any cup is a chop cup if you have a shim or a prepared ball. Do it with a crumpled dollar bill and a paper coffee cup!

What else have you come up with?

-Patrick
I have a shimmed penny shell, and a shimmed quarter shell but the attraction to my PK ring was very noisy and I began taping my ring, etc. which didn't work as well as planned.
I have tried spinning a magnetic card on top of a bottle and that has worked well. I've heard about reed switches, do you know where I can find more information about making/buying/using them? I'll test the clinging spoons tonight.

Thanks for your ideas!

Mike
PK rings are virtually useless for magic.
[quote]
On 2013-11-20 15:12, Mike Ince wrote:
PK rings are virtually useless for magic.
[/quote]

You know, that's what I keep thinking in the back of my mind. Everything I do or consider doing seems so obvious.
I have had a pk ring for years and have never used it,I agree, everything seemss so obvious.
Woody Aragon has an interesting use for pk ring and shimmed card. Check out his Book in English.
You can perform many good effects if you know how to use it.
The PK ring has many good uses.
If you don't know how to use it properly , either learn or put it away.
I have this really cool idea with a PK ring coming out in my booklet through vanishing inc I use it all the time. Noise is not an issue! come find me at Magi fest :)

JUst did lecture here in canada! its always a group favourite!
Prohibition cap through bottle is great.

axel heckalu had a good version of this trick too with a coke bottle.

also, coin through glass table is really good.

using a magnetic coin and a coin that's attracted to magnets, you can do a coin through coaster into glass (or shot glass) which looks very good and seems like an impromtu trick in a bar setting.
On me, a ring is suspect. I've never been married. I tossed my PK ring. One, it didn't fit, and two...I was called on it.

Doug
......With a certain letter opener prop and the right ring, one can cause the prop to move AWAY instead of towards. Somewhat more magical.