(Close Window)
Topic: Misled???
I have been searching for a misled gimmick. The websites I find selling them are either knock offs, or out of stock. Is the original Timothy Wenk misled still being manufactured?
Yes.. [url=http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/388]HERE[/url] ..
I still have mine, but lost the instructions. .. :( ...
Hi chrusa,

From the booklet that came with the trick, the following address as the exclusive distributor

Metempirical Magic,
POB 500,
Stockbridge, MA 01262
USA

No web address is quoted in the booklet.

Take a look at Vanishing Inc as they appear to have it in stock on their web site. The link is:-

https://www.vanishingincmagic.com/magic/close-up-magic/misled/

Hope this helps

Michael
Penguin Magic and Vanishing inc have been out of stock for weeks. I cant find it on any sites in stock.
Joseph, I don't need instructions let me know if you want to sell yours.
This is a great trick. Danny Garcia does a version with a straw.

Cheers,

Bill
Hocus Pocus had them. I thought I posted it here but I don't see it anymore. ???
Did you find it?
It is on eBay here:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/David-Copperfield-Magic-Trick-Mint-Never-Opened-Misled-by-Timothy-Wenk-/201012095063?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2ecd412857

Also China has copied it and selling it on eBay as well.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/D003-1-Close-Up-Magic-Misled-Trick-Pen-Thru-Dollar-David-Copperfield-Effect-DVD-/200987033421?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2ecbc2bf4d
Hi Chris,

PM'd you ref. Misled. I've mangaed to get one, unused and genuine.

All the best

Michael
I have the original and a knock off one which is made from metal. I prefer the metal one which was bought from a well known online auction site.
I haven't seen Misled sold by most major magic sites in a while. I did however find someone who is selling it on Amazon.com

But you better hurry...they started with about 10 in stock...I've already purchased 2 for my personal use and the show that I work for bought 5 on my suggestion. I think they only have about 3 left...so if you need Misled...you better hurry!
Great effect! Used to have one years ago. Hmmm might have to revisit this...
Other magicians have come up with alternative handlings to Misled that use no gimmicks. The most recent example would be Cameron Francis' effect (whose name unfortunately escapes me at the moment...).

In light of this, is there a need to purchase Misled? Is it still significantly better than the gimmickless versions? I do like how visual Misled is but any gimmick that is visible to the audience is at risk of being detected. Thoughts?
Robvh,
I think the Cameron Francis' effect you are trying to think of is called Driven... available on his website as a download
[quote]On Apr 26, 2014, Taterini wrote:
Robvh,
I think the Cameron Francis' effect you are trying to think of is called Driven... available on his website as a download [/quote]

You're right, Taterini. I couldn't remember the name because I saw it live in his lecture as opposed to in an add or online promo video. I looked up the promo video and have to admit that I thought it looked better live! It's usually the other way around.
Another option that I like is Just Passin Thru: http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/616
It uses a larger pencil, but is very visual. Don't know what your needs are but if you cannot find "misled" thought this might be worth checking out. You cannot pass out the pencil without a switch, which, along with the larger size pencil, are the two weaknesses of this version. I never need to pass it out, and the larger size pencil makes it more visible for more than a handful of people, so this works well for the right group.
I've done Mis-Led for so many years the thought of changing it up scares the living crap outta me - it is just rock solid as is, and I'm a firm believer that if it's not broke don't fix it.

I'm down to only three "working" set-ups (one brand new thankfully) ... I usually go through three a season I do it so often, 20-30-40 even 50 times a day. I have at least a dozen "dirty" gimmicks and worn down pencils I might try to recycle, gotta be someway to clean them up. Maybe find some darker shades of pencils somewhere.

The China knock-offs on eBay are metal - I can't do my alternative handling to get into position in phase one, and it makes it harder to remove the gimmick from the eraser end like Copperfield does and there can be a little "talking" when the metal hits the metal. Maybe with practice I can smooth it out.

If anyone knows where there might be a secret stash of these I'm interested ... otherwise, I might have to try out Just Passing Though or something. :/

-JoeJoe
Had someone point me to a shop that have 9 Mis-leds in stock! Bought every last one of them!

If anyone wants one ... $100. haha - just kidding - I have no intention of selling any of them, they are going into a fire-proof safe where hopefully I'll have enough to last the rest of my life. :)

-JoeJoe
@JoeJoe...Great that you were able to buy a stash of Misled's! Here's something that I've found to work pretty well at cleaning the dirty gimmicks. I use a little piece of the "magic eraser". It's cleaned up mine fairly well. As for pencils...I know that the shades differ from gimmick to gimmick...but I've found that the No.2 U.S.A. Gold's are the closet match for me. They are made by "The Write Dudes" and I found them at my local Walmart. Let me know if you're able to clean up your dirty gimmicks using this method! Aloha!
Ya know...the difficulty in finding this, and the curse of the knock-offs has killed this for me. I have my Pen-Thru-Anything (original Monte Blanc), and I LOVE it! :)

Doug
I hadn't done misled for a long time, and the other day I found my long lost gimmick again, and I'm
happily back in business. The "melt" phase is killer. Pairs up nicely with "Melt" by Matt Johnson.
Anyone know where to get Timothy Wenks's Misled? I see it on Penguin and Vanishing but they are both sold out. I'd love to get some back-ups as I only have one.

Is Mr. Wenk not making this anymore? Will another company produce it? Are the knockoffs on ebay any good?
[quote]On Nov 21, 2013, Michael J wrote:
Hi chrusa,

From the booklet that came with the trick, the following address as the exclusive distributor

Metempirical Magic,
POB 500,
Stockbridge, MA 01262
USA

No web address is quoted in the booklet.

Take a look at Vanishing Inc as they appear to have it in stock on their web site. The link is:-

https://www.vanishingincmagic.com/magic/close-up-magic/misled/

Hope this helps

Michael [/quote]

I do not believe this is where you can find him anymore. If I'm not mistaken he closed up shop and headed to sunny Hawaii. Probably with a harbor ship full of misled money :)
The bad thing is he never filled my last order so that means my money was in that boat. :)
Magic Inc. had a supply, but I listed it in that forum.

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?forum=210&topic=575653#7

Looks like they are all gone now. If you snooze you lose.

http://www.magicinc.net/misledbytimothywenk.aspx

There is no website on the instructions because these tricks were made and printed way back on the 1980's when Copperfield did it on his television special.
I just chatted with Timothy and he said he is planning a giant, "festive" re-release of Misled in the next 2-3 months.
The packaging was printed before the Internet was available, that is why there is not website information, they hadn't invented anything called a website yet.

As it seems it took 36 years to sell out the initial run for this trick, I am curious as to what the initial quantity for the run was.

Don't hold your breath on another new release of Mislead, magicians have been saying that for years, and it never happens, and especially since the way tricks are marketed today and sold today.

I will believe it when it is at magic stores and websites.
[quote]On Jan 13, 2016, GeneTony wrote:
I just chatted with Timothy and he said he is planning a giant, "festive" re-release of Misled in the next 2-3 months. [/quote]

That would be awesome!! There is no knock-off that can compare to his masterpiece. :)

-JoeJoe
By festive does he mean they will be made from merry Christmas pencils?
Maybe Mardi gras?
Sinco de mayo?
Maybe a new surprise ending that shoots streamers and fireworks?
Just kidding I'll be in line to buy a couple for sure.
[quote]On Jan 19, 2016, Bill Hegbli wrote:
The packaging was printed before the Internet was available, that is why there is not website information, they hadn't invented anything called a website yet.
[/quote]

I read somewhere that Al Gore had...
I got mine off someone here. Been looking around for quite a while. Good luck finding them.
I second that. I had three I'm down to one now and am trying to find more.
I sent a text message to Timothy Wenk almost a year ago. He said that more would be on the market in a few months. After about 6 months, I followed up with him. He said that he had been very busy, but still had plans to make more. Still waiting...
[quote]On Oct 13, 2016, Munseys_Magic wrote:
I sent a text message to Timothy Wenk almost a year ago. He said that more would be on the market in a few months. After about 6 months, I followed up with him. He said that he had been very busy, but still had plans to make more. Still waiting... [/quote]

Sure does not look too promising
He's on FB. I can ask him , if you'd like. I love the effect. Have been doing it for years. The shade of the gimmick does not have to match "perfectly" If it's close, it goes unnoticed.
[quote]On Jan 19, 2016, Bill Hegbli wrote:
As it seems it took 36 years to sell out the initial run for this trick, I am curious as to what the initial quantity for the run was.
[/quote]
When was Misled originally released?

Does it go back to 1980?
Tim, you are correct, it came out the week or so after David Copperfield presented it on his television special where he presented it.
[quote]On Dec 14, 2016, daffydoug wrote:
He's on FB. I can ask him , if you'd like. I love the effect. Have been doing it for years. The shade of the gimmick does not have to match "perfectly" If it's close, it goes unnoticed. [/quote]

Hi Doug,

Yes, could you please ask him?

Thanks!
Since I could not find it I got a knock off. I also got this since I was not sure it was my kind of effect.
but it seems to work well. I still am not sure how much I will use it. which is why I got a knock off.
for instance, how many people carry pencils around?
[quote]On Feb 16, 2017, countrymaven wrote:
Since I could not find it I got a knock off. I also got this since I was not sure it was my kind of effect.
but it seems to work well. I still am not sure how much I will use it. which is why I got a knock off.
for instance, how many people carry pencils around? [/quote]

Students, engineers, writers, and people who make a lot of mistakes. :rotf:

They would not make millions of wood pencils a year, if they were not being sold and used.

If you don't carry it with you, then you cannot present a very good miracle. It is your call.
Thanks Bill,
Great point. I will cut down the pencil and carry it around. I needed your encouragement to "go forward " with this effect.
thanks again.!!!
I have a original gimmicks and instructions. What is the price?
Thanks
Steph
Hi Stephon,

If it is in great condition (the gimmick, not the instructions) and you are willing to sell it to me for $15, please PM me.

Thanks!
This is one of the tricks that always gets reactions. Glad to have two spares :)
I saw DC do it on one of his Specials and watched it over and over.

When I saw it offered in Genii Magazine I sent for it $17.

Did it all the time when I was a magic bartender.

Seems to me if they are not available the price should be higher then suggested above.
Hi,
Can anyone give me tips on how to prevent breakage? I have one original mis-led gimmick from 20 years ago, and I'm afraid to use it for fear it will break.
Please help.
Thanks,
Dave
[quote]On May 13, 2018, goodingda wrote:
Hi,
Can anyone give me tips on how to prevent breakage? I have one original mis-led gimmick from 20 years ago, and I'm afraid to use it for fear it will break.
Please help.
Thanks,
Dave [/quote]

I never had my gimmick break, it has to be something you are doing wrong in the handling. Are you to rough, fast, or not careful enough. This trick is not self working. If all else fails, read the instructions until you understand them.
The instruction booklet and explain certain things to NOT do causing breakage.
Steph
Thanks Bill and Steph.

I have followed the instructions, used it hundreds of times, and it has never broken. But, I keep hearing others say to get extras in case they break, giving me the impression that eventually it will break. It sounds like what you are saying is that if you take care of it and handle it correctly it should last indefinitely. That's good to know! Many thanks!!!
As with Bill; I havenít broken the gaff either.
Steph
BTW: Tim Wenk says Misled Re-release is coming soon.
Great. Please post when you hear it is available. Thanks Steph!
This gimmick is pretty stout. With reasonable care, it won't break. I emphasize "reasonable." You can't sit on it or crush it or anything foolish like that. But reasonable care is what you need. I've had mine since DC performed it and it was subsequently released. STILL SOLID AS NEW!
I've never had a gimmick break, but on occasion I've had guys break the pencil on purpose during examination (not sure why, showing off or something?). I started carrying an extra pencil just in case.

And yes, Timothy Wenk is re-releasing Mis-led and it should be available again soon. :)

-JoeJoe
Thanks JoeJoe. Appreciate the update.

Maybe this has been discussed, but I bought one of those Chinese knock-offs, the one made of metal, and it is completely worthless! You can't remove, or insert, the gimmick at the eraser-end of the pencil. Furthermore, when you try to pull the pencil straight down thru the bill, the gimmick nearly tears the bill in half! It requires way to much force. Fortunately, it only cost 6 bucks and no shipping.
Typical for knock-offs. There are good reasons Timothy made it of the materials he chose. Mine works BEAUTIFULLY after all these years. One of the RELIABLE effects I've purchased over the years. Didn't end up in my junk drawer like so many other of my purchases.

Genius. Sheer genius!
I will NEVER forget my bafflement after I saw DC do this on his TV special, way back then. I had NO idea that a gimmick was involved, and busted my brain in front of a mirror for days trying to figure out the secret moves.

Silly me!!
Yes, I remember first seeing DC preform it. Couldn't sleep that night trying to figure it out!
Same here. Busted my brain, and I was totally chasing the rabbit down the wrong hole!
[quote]On May 26, 2018, JoeJoe wrote:
... And yes, Timothy Wenk is re-releasing Mis-led and it should be available again soon. :)

-JoeJoe [/quote]

That's exciting to know. It will probably be huge, being re-introduced to a new generation of magicians, and I'm sure, to much larger group of purchasers vs the pre-internet days.
Available NOW!!! Woohoo!

http://getmisled.com/
Yes the gimmick has been re-released for 2018

1. Gimmick is super durable / invisible (not like the metal one we saw a while back)

2. Now includes video tutorial of Timothy sharing his tips

[youtube]ntigMCCay6U[/youtube]
Man was I young when that video was taken! I performed this a lot when I got it. Mine didn't break, got lost in a move. What did I learn? Pack all magic and seal the boxes before the movers come.
[quote]On Sep 19, 2018, DavidKenney wrote:
Yes the gimmick has been re-released for 2018

1. Gimmick is super durable / invisible (not like the metal one we saw a while back)

2. Now includes video tutorial of Timothy sharing his tips

[youtube]ntigMCCay6U[/youtube] [/quote] Is the gimmick thicker than the original or the same?