(Close Window)
Topic: KADAR deck of playing cards Designed by Christopher J Gould
Hi Everyone

We wanted to let you know that we have just launched the KADAR deck of playing cards on Kickstarter. These cards are beautifully designed by Christopher J Gould.

With the Kadar Deck, we have broken with tradition and produced a truly original deck of cards. We want our cards to look like nothing that you have seen before; this is a deck of cards that instantly stands out from the 'pack'. We hope you agree.

Your support will be very much appreciated - thank you. Please let us know what you think.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/694490374/kadar-deck-of-cards-designed-by-christpher-j-gould
Backed! These look beautiful!

Is there any truth to the rumour these are m***ked?
MatCult were did you hear that little rumour :)
Without sounding to dumb, I went to kickstarter but not sure I see the answers.
What are these cards? Looks like Tarot cards or is it only the minor arcana? Do they have some other characteristics, besides the design, that it is obvious to the more knowledgeable of you that I am missing? Does Kadar mean some type of cards? What are the size of the cards? Tarost, poker, bridge size, others?
I am sorry if these are too basic questions, if you can direct me where to read about them it is fine as well

Happy New Year
Pablo
Hi Pablo

These are Poker sized cards printed by USPCC. These cards can also used for readings etc which will be explained in more detail as the project unfolds. Here is an extract from the project.

Who are these cards aimed at?

The Card Collector. It is unlikely that you will have such a striking, original and unique deck of cards in your collection yet. Put the Kadar deck out on a table with a few other decks and see which one draws the eye.

The Magician. As these are a full set of poker cards on the best Bicycle stock, you can use them to perform standard card magic. In addition, we show you how you can take your magic to the next level; investing a simple trick with meaning and a personal connection to your audience.

The Social Animal. Our cards are aimed at simply making you the most interesting person in any group with something that will draw the eye and everyone's attention. We guarantee it! Also if you put a dime in the cabinets, the cards do something strange and mysterious; something that will draw a crowd of interested onlookers.
I backed this with the deck, poster, and T-shirt option. I love Chris's work. As a designer, I recognize another artist's passion, and I'm convinced that there is thought and caring put into every step of this development process.
[quote]
On 2014-01-02 08:19, pabloinus wrote:
What are these cards? Looks like Tarot cards or is it only the minor arcana? Do they have some other characteristics, besides the design, that it is obvious to the more knowledgeable of you that I am missing? Does Kadar mean some type of cards? What are the size of the cards? Tarost, poker, bridge size, others?
I am sorry if these are too basic questions, if you can direct me where to read about them it is fine as well

Happy New Year
Pablo
[/quote]

You can understand better the "mystyc"side of the deck if you look at the original Kadar:

http://alchemy-moon.freeforums.net/thread/11/kadar-elite-overview-system

It's GREAT!
Message: Posted by: Pasteboard Alchemist (Jan 7, 2014 03:02PM)
Looks gorgeous. I can already think of some very nice effects that could weave quite a story with the meaning of the cards. Will have to get a couple extra decks so I can start splitting/gaffing some up for when I need a little something special.

It's my understanding that there'll be two "extra" card. I sincerely hope that one of them is a double-backed card.
[quote]
On 2014-01-07 16:02, Pasteboard Alchemist wrote:
Looks gorgeous. I can already think of some very nice effects that could weave quite a story with the meaning of the cards. Will have to get a couple extra decks so I can start splitting/gaffing some up for when I need a little something special.

It's my understanding that there'll be two "extra" card. I sincerely hope that one of them is a double-backed card.
[/quote]

They already asked to bakers what kind of extra "features" they would like. I think that a double back is a great idea.

Usually an interesting group of magician gathers around Alchemy Moon's products. They talk about the options offered by the props, alternate handlings and new plots.
An example is the very very recent Devil's Library project.

It's good to be there and I'm sure the Kadar Deck will spark a LOT of contributions :)
Couple of questions:

The back design doesn't appear to have a white border but the faces of the cards do - is this correct? Just wondering about a face up card in the face down deck being visible from the edges of the cards.

Also, are these printed on standard Bicycle stock? In some of the design images, the corners of the cards look more rounded than standard Bicycle cards.

I must say this design looks really nice and would lend itself to mental/myserious trick presentations really well.
[quote]
On 2014-01-02 08:19, pabloinus wrote:

Happy New Year
Pablo
[/quote]

Pablo, there is now a pdf added to the kickstarter page, that tells quite a bit more-recommended!
Best for the New Year back at you, Balaram
I love these!

Chris is such an artistic gentleman, the designs on these are phenomenal!

cant wait to get my hands on some,]

Pete x
Magic_tony that was a great comment. I have now added an image of the back design. It will have a white border and will be printed on standard bicycle stock. We have also added a PDF were you can read about the history and mystery of the Kadar deck of playing cards.

Thanks for all your great comments. You can see the project here: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/694490374/kadar-deck-of-cards-designed-by-christpher-j-gould
I'm surprised no one has posted the news on Spooky forum!
Feel free Xizzy
Just saw the updates for the Aces...I really can not wait for these, and will like increase my pledge. I don't often say this, but Mr. Gould may have outdone himself here.
Keep meaning to pledge for a couple of decks of these. They look great.
Love the "Silver Age comic" look of these, and the fact that these cards are designed work on 2-3 (if not more) levels, depending on your interests.
Espkeith wait until you see the card case Chris has been working on.
There is a new case on the horizon?
As I posted in the other thread re: these

Wow
another must have, just need to decide how deep to go in regards to backing
really looks like exceptional work
These are the only cards I've ever backed on kickstarter. Really unique.
Each back has something sneacky?

This sentence is explained somewhere?
Boudje it might be referring to a marked back design :)
[quote]
On 2014-01-13 12:35, The Greek wrote:
Espkeith wait until you see the card case Chris has been working on.
[/quote]
Can't wait. He's been great with keeping the updates coming, so I suspect I'll be seeing that soon...I hope. ;)
Espkeith you will find that it is me posting the updates on Kickstarter lol
[quote]
On 2014-01-15 05:32, The Greek wrote:
Boudje it might be referring to a marked back design :)

[/quote]

That's what I was thinking...

Hum, I should then may be order a brick :(

The cards look really nice.
Upping my bid. I want the poster and the three decks. These will go lovely with the original set. Love my Kadar.
There is so much possibility hidden in these cards--I hope Chris gives at least a few hints to promote their deeper abilities. This is even better than the 5 Kadar cards. You don't have to do "readings" to appreciate a greater understanding and empathy with your audience participants. It is simply impossible for anyone under the performing umbrella of "magic" to not be very, very happy with the product. Quote me!
This is the latest update posted.

Hot off the press! We've just added two, new pledge tiers to the Kadar Cards Kickstarter campaign. These are for people who would like to use their cards as more than a 'normal' deck of playing cards; either as a Magician or a Reader. What you get in addition to a deck of cards is a booklet which details the specifics of your chosen path (Magician or Reader). More information about each of these booklets is below.
If you've already pledged for one or more Kadar decks, and you are interested in one of the booklets, all you need to do is increase your existing pledge by £6.

The Books of Kadar.

The Kadar Cards are a deck of Poker Cards with unique properties. They can be used effectively for traditional ‘fortune telling’ without any recourse to deception or traditional magical thinking. In a parallel universe they can be used by the magician to ensure an accurate reading by using standard magical thinking. In addition, the meanings given to the cards can be used to transform traditional card magic to give it more depth and meaning. So there are two ways to approach the Kadar Deck; two pathways you can take.

The Magician’s Path. This is aimed at the person who is interested in magical performance. Whether this is just performing casually for friends or professionally in walk around and stage magic; the emphasis here is on entertainment. The Magicians Introductory Book of Kadar. This book will look at the Kadar Reading System. We start by looking at the meaning of the cards and the deceptively simple manner for remembering them. This is followed by explaining the tools that you can use to glean information from the person you are reading. This is followed by a number of experiments, ideas and full routines which will give you a hands on experience of working with the Kadar Principle. Finally, we will look at how the system can be used to enhance traditional card magic; to inject meaning into your magic and create an emotional connection with your audience. You should be able to perform you first Kadar Effect pretty much out of the box, but with each routine you perform you will be taken deeper into the technique and soon you will be performing routines that will truly astonish your audience. The system can be used for just a bit of simple fun in a social context, or for the casual or professional magician.

The Reader’s Path. The Kadar Cards can be used for genuine readings. On the surface, the cards look innocent and playful, and that is the intention. However, they are built upon a lifelong study of the Western Tradition of Magick and are based upon principles that should be familiar to the working psychic. Although there are parallels with the Tarot, and particularly ‘gypsy fortune telling’ with cards, you will find that learning and memorising the system is almost effortless and intuitive. The cards can be used for quick-fire readings, or you can go into deeper one-to-one readings. The cards also fuse contemporary psychology into the mix and can be used for effective personal growth or as an aid to self-realisation for those you are working with. The cards are relentlessly optimistic; there are no Death and Devils cards for you to awkwardly explain away. The system is based on a sound philosophy. There is no such thing as negative energy; just blocks to the flow of positive energy. The Kadar system identifies these blocks and by doing so - removes them. Each reading ends with a positive affirmation to empower the sitter and a practical exercise to ensure future growth. The System is just as useful for individual exploration, casual reading and for the professional reader. This book will start with an introduction to the symbolism and sure-fire methods of easily committing it to memory. We will then look at a series of exercises, meaningful ‘games’ and ideas, ending with an explanation of a full reading. These books will introduce the system for whichever path you choose. At the end you will be confident in working with the Kadar Cards and will be able to use them fluidly, flexibly and to great effect. For advanced students, each pathway will have a further book available later in the year.

These books will go into exhaustive depth and take your work with the Cards to its ultimate level.

Readers will find it unsettling that magicians can use the decks for magical performances. Magicians will find it unsettling that there is something of a genuinely mystical undercurrent to the work. This is why the two paths are being kept separate. Each path leads to the same endpoint; understanding both paths will settle any doubts that you may have.
I upped my pledge to get these two books.
I will be pledging but will have to be next week when I get paid as I want a few decks. I'd love to these out after a dinner party. Play a game of Texas Hold 'em and the winner "wins" their fortune.
How do I up my pledge to keep my 2 decks and add the two books? This doesn't appear to be an option.
Hi Paul

You just increase your total amount to accommodate your addons. For example, if you want the two books, you increase your total amount by £12.

Did you see the new update regarding the custom case. this is so beautiful.
The case looks amazing. Upped my pledge. I need this in my life!
[quote]
On 2014-01-23 08:40, The Greek wrote:
Hi Paul

You just increase your total amount to accommodate your addons. For example, if you want the two books, you increase your total amount by £12.

Did you see the new update regarding the custom case. this is so beautiful.
[/quote]

Cheers

On it now. Case looks great.
Might have to up my pledge to get a brick. So much that can be done with these, I feel.
Message: Posted by: Christopher Gould (Jan 27, 2014 07:15AM)
I do not want to cross post, so just to let everyone know that I have opened a thread on the Spooky Forum where I have put forward a lot more details on this project and will make myself available to answer any questions.
cheers
Christopher J Gould
Just backed it, cant wait, great looking cards.
Message: Posted by: Christopher Gould (Jan 27, 2014 09:52AM)
Thanks George just over a week to get the word out.
Anyway, I meant to put a direct link up there.
Here is is...
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=541044&forum=14&8
This should tell you all you need to know, if not you can ask me directly.
cheers
Chris
I'm getting a brick. Maybe I'll see if I can get a second brick - they'll be great for BOR!
David

We have just added a 2 Brick tier and a 12 brick tier.
Come on people. I'm permanently bombarded with pictures of god awful playing cards that have been made. Typically featuring the sort of artwork you'd see on someone tattooed in the late 90s. This is a chance to see something beautiful made. Lets make it happen.
[quote]
On 2014-01-28 04:56, Paul S Wingham wrote:
Come on people. I'm permanently bombarded with pictures of god awful playing cards that have been made. Typically featuring the sort of artwork you'd see on someone tattooed in the late 90s. This is a chance to see something beautiful made. Lets make it happen.
[/quote]

Yeah, it's incredible.
I agree :)
[quote]
On 2014-01-28 04:56, Paul S Wingham wrote:
[/quote]
I agree. Changed my pledge to a brick, here. Beautiful artwork, unique court cards, and so much other potential (if you're looking for it).
80% of the way there. Many, many reasons to see this one funded, let's finish this.
Indeed!
this NEEDS to be
So close yet so far....

The threads regarding this project keep getting shifted around
annoying lol
My pledge is in :bigdance:
Chris's artwork is amazing and the quality and workmanship of Alchemy Moon products is second to none!
In the words of the great, worldly-wise philosopher, singer, entertainer and future Mrs. Mc., Mariah Carey, "Make it happen"!!

Paul Mc.
Just upgrade my pledge, hope we get there, only 5 days left !
This goal is extremely attainable. I've seen so many other decks raise three times the goal of this one, yet the offer so much less. I'm not knocking those, I've funded quite a few myself. Just saying...
I think January is a tough month. Going to pledge now I've been paid!
Almost there folks! :coolest:

Bump your pledges
it's soooooo close

Shawn
Its a shame the pledge system is so complicated, maybe its jut me but I cant seem to find what I am after, Ideally both books and 2 decks.
George I explained the process in a message to you earlier :)
[quote]
On 2014-01-31 15:28, george1953 wrote:
Its a shame the pledge system is so complicated, maybe its jut me but I cant seem to find what I am after, Ideally both books and 2 decks.
[/quote]

just pledge the total pound amount that would cover that
when it is funded you will get a chance to state what you pledged for
no problemo
[quote]
On 2014-01-31 15:35, The Greek wrote:
George I explained the process in a message to you earlier :)

[/quote]

perhaps you could explain it here, that may help anyone that is on the fence or new to kickstarter :)
Sorry, senior moment there, just read your PM and all is clear now
It is magically only has 220 pound to go. It is a 100% secure project already.
WOO HOO! We made it; we've now exceeded our funding target of £10.000. A MASSIVE 'Thank You' to everyone who has pledged their support for this project; we're delighted that the Kadar Card deck will now become a reality. We still have 4 days to go; so there's time for more people to stake their claim to this fantastic deck and all its possibilities.

To everyone who has asked us questions - thanks, it's kept us even more on our toes. To everyone who has shared this project with others to encourage them to support us - thanks, it's the power of a community has made this project happen. To everyone who has pledged funds - thanks, we realise you could have spent your money on other things! Suffice to say; we're delighted with the outcome.

We're still exploring the possibility of creating a limited edition dealer coin. We've got the prototype designs - if you'd like us to offer this as an additional add-on please let us know. If there's enough interest we'll see how we can make this work - it's a real iconic piece for collectors.

Once again, thank you so much.

Costas and Christopher J. Gould
A huge congratulations and thank you to everyone involved
Well bloody done!!!

Happy dancing all around the batcave

Shawn
Now we all have to start waiting until we actually get these in our hot little hands! I realize that it is a subjective thing but I was surprised it took as long as it did to get funded. I kept watching some of the other decks that were funded and didn't think they were nearly as nice.

Regardless, it's really great!

Dave
I just pitched in and I thought it would be nice to bump this thread to the top in case anyone missed it. The project is fully funded so everything should be cool. Great looking cards.
I found out about this unique deck of cards only a week ago when I stumbled across one of the other threads for this Kickstarter project. At first I was attracted to the Silver Age comic style art of the cards, something about it just spoke to me. Then, as I read the PDF and learned more about the Kadar history, the gears started turning and I realized that this was just the tip of the iceberg as to the potential of these cards.

I got hooked and pledged for the Kickstarter Project and then hopped on over to Alchemy Moon’s forum and ordered a Kadar Pro as well so I can be prepared to take advantage of a wide range of opportunities.

Even if you don’t plan on doing any sort of readings, these cards have to potential to infuse your magic or mentalism with emotional and theatrical elements. At the very least you will have a cool deck of cards and a conversation piece to draw people in.

Thankfully they are already fully pledged, but the larger the community of owners the more we can develop and share ideas to grow the power of Kadar. You only have about 36 hours left to pledge, and it sounds like the price on these decks will go up once they are produced. $15(ish) postpaid is a great value for this type of deck!

~ Nathan

P.S.- The optional card cases look beautiful, remember to check them out!
Not long now to get on board with this deck - less than 36 hours to go...
We have just added infor regarding the Kadar Coin.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/694490374/kadar-deck-of-cards-designed-by-christpher-j-gould/posts/737951
I am excited and eagerly awaiting my set, hoping they will fit nicely with Iain Dunford's superb reading system 'Metaph-Oracle'.

The artwork looks absolutely terrific Chris.

Paul Mc.
[quote]On May 3, 2014, caigy wrote:
I am excited and eagerly awaiting my set, hoping they will fit nicely with Iain Dunford's superb reading system 'Metaph-Oracle'.

The artwork looks absolutely terrific Chris.

Paul Mc. [/quote]

They have arrived...and they tie-in perfectly with Metaph-Oracle!!!
Stunningly beautiful...Well done Chris :)

Paul Mc.
Waiting mine :)
Waiting for mine too, trouble is, it all depends how fast the postman's donkey runs where I live ;-) :clownonball:
Can someone provide a link to where I can buy some decks now? Thanks!
These are were a kickstarter project that just finished being made & are currently being shipped & fullfilled to backers 1st. Shortly after we have all recieved ours, they wil soon be openly available for purchase from Tao Magic. I'm sure There will be a link to cards, etc soon. Chris of Alchemy Moon will be selling elite sets with booklets & awesome card cases from Moonskin too !!
[quote]On Aug 31, 2014, Merlinsmagic wrote:
These are were a kickstarter project that just finished being made & are currently being shipped & fullfilled to backers 1st. Shortly after we have all recieved ours, they wil soon be openly available for purchase from Tao Magic. I'm sure There will be a link to cards, etc soon. Chris of Alchemy Moon will be selling elite sets with booklets & awesome card cases from Moonskin too !! [/quote]

Thanks! I will wait.