(Close Window)
Topic: AT THE TABLE: LIVE Michael Ammar just $1
Hey guys, I heard Michael was doing a live online lecture thing for $1 where you can ask questions while he is giving the lecture. Something called At the Table. Anyone know more details?
Hey guys!

You can get all the details here

http://www.murphysmagic.com/atthetable/

-Kyle
We at MJM Magic are SUPER EXCITED about this! Michael Ammar is going to be presenting old favorites and new content (LIVE on February 5th at 4:00 pm, PST), which we will be streaming on our website.

SPECIAL PRICE: You can reserve your spot for ONLY $1.00 right here: http://www.mjmmagic.com/store/-p-17894.html

Since MJM Magic is participating in this, it will work just like all of our other DOWNLOADS that we sell. That is, you purchase it, and then you have access to watch it anytime you wish. So whether you tune in live (during the time of the lecture), or if you simply wish to watch it at a future date, it will always be stored for you in your MJM Download Library.

And because it deserves repeating, this lecture is ONLY $1.00!

http://www.mjmmagic.com/store/-p-17894.html

You can see one of magic's greatest performers and you don’t even have to leave the comfort of your own house.

There will be a new lecture the first Wed of every month, called At the Table: Live. We will be posting more details on our website as well (so look forward to other big names to join in this lecture series!)

For more information, you can check out this link: http://www.mjmmagic.com/store/live-mjm-magic-lectures-at-the-table-ezp-64.html
Sweet thanks for the info guys, Ammar is one of my favs and I'm actually excited for this! Gonna go reserve my spot! Thanks again!!!
Woohoo!!!
This is so cool :)

Best regards,
Titanas
This has got to be one of the best deals in magic! Ammar is without a doubt the best magic teacher on the planet.
I couldn't agree more! And for only a BUCK? I respect him even more for doing it!

Everyone should attend at that price. Book your calendar for February 5th at 4:00pm.

As you know, Ammar is a legend in the industry and he is actually presenting NEW things that he hasn’t presented before in prior DVD’s or lectures. If you can’t attend, you can download it for 2 weeks after the event for $1, but you would miss the opportunity to chat with him. Act quick because I'm being told the price will go up after 2 weeks.
Everyone should attend at that price. Again, the date of the lecture is February 5th at 4:00pm PST.

As you know, Ammar is a legend in the industry and he is actually presenting NEW things that he hasn’t presented before in prior DVD’s or lectures. If you can’t attend, you can download it for 2 weeks after the event for $1, but you would miss the opportunity to chat with him.

I FORGOT TO ADD........Act quick because I'm being told the price will go up after 2 weeks.
Cool thanks for the info guys also are there any other people lined up ??
We are also taking part in this lecture series, this will be really great and what an introductory price!

We have it listed to here http://www.saturnmagic.co.uk/new-magic/at-the-table-live-lecture-michael-ammar-video-download-.html
[quote]
On 2014-01-03 18:58, XaviorSpade wrote:
Cool thanks for the info guys also are there any other people lined up ??
[/quote]

Xavior!

We have some great artists scheduled. Danny Garcia for one!!! There will be new lectures the first Wed of every month. You can reserve your seat now at any Murphy’s Magic Dealer throughout the world. Get more details here http://www.murphysmagic.com/atthetable/ or on the Murphy’s Magic Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/murphysmagicsupplies

-Kyle
It's good to hear that 2014 is starting off with a bang and a lot of new exciting things are happening. Michael could easily charge 100 bucks for this, and even then it would still be a bargain. But one buck???

I don't think a deal like this is going to be coming down the road for a long, long time.
The others lined up are Jon Armstrong, Alex Pandrea, Jason England and Daniel Garcia.

You can buy lectures individually or a season pass for all 4.

I'm listing the other lectures right now and the season pass but have yet to be given the dates and times for these lectures.
Two things. WOW and THANKS!
Michael Ammar is 5/02/2014
Daniel Garcia is 5/03/2014
Jason England is 2/04/2014
Alex Pandrea is 7/05/2014
Jon Armstrong is 4/06/2014

All are now listed including the season pass http://www.saturnmagic.co.uk/download-magic.html
I expect this to be the one dollar I have ever spent on magic.
Same! $1 is a very good deal!
I see penguin has the other four lectures for only $49 any chance will they have the Ammar lecture for $1
Anyone know?
Yes, we welcome Murphy's magic into hosting live online lectures.

We'll have it at penguin too.
Here is a link to all the other artists lined up:

[url=http://www.mjmmagic.com/store/index.php?main_page=advanced_search_result&search_in_description=1&keyword=dvll_]At The Table Lecture Series - at MJM Magic[/url]

There is even a listing in there where you can purchase all of them as a set (for one low price). So either order each one individually for $24.95, or you can get all four in one volume for only $50.00.

And to answer a question we've been getting, "YES! You do earn [url=http://www.mjmmagic.com/store/rewards-points-ezp-59.html]MJM Reward Points[/url] on these purchases." So for each of these $24.95 downloads, we give you an extra $2.00 back into your account to spend on other items. Or if you were to purchase the 4 Volume Lecture Set, we give you $5.00 into your account.

But for the record, only the Michael Ammar Lecture is on special for $1.00. That price will go back to $26.95 on February 19th, which is two weeks after the Lecture is recorded.
In for the win baby.
Penguin Magic has the Ammar lecture here:
http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S17257
Man, everybody is in on this. To top it all off, I just noticed http://www.vanishingincmagic.com is accepting bitcoins when I went to buy the lecture. I believe that will make this my first official bitcoin "purchase."
Awesome.
Very cool! I'm a huge fan of the terrific Penguin Live lectures, and am glad to see that the offerings are expanding with other producers coming in. I'm in! :)
I just hit the buy button at Penguin. This is an absolute no-brainer.

Anybody with a quantum of desire to improve their magic could not possibly resist this deal. I think the only ones who won't get in are those who for some incomprehensible reason do not hear about it.
I just buy it at MJM...
I see that several dealers are in on it.
I'm thinking of signing up but was wondering how similar the Garcia lecture will be to his penguin live lecture.
Just signed up for this at Vanishing Inc. What a great opportunity to see a fantastic magician/teacher for a dollar! I am glad to see the live lecture concept expanding. Thank you to Penguin for popularizing this great concept in sharing/learning magic.
Is this Michael's new lecture that he's been touring with?
I'm glad it's only a dollar because I bought it at Murphy's not knowing penguin would carry it and may spend the buck again to penguin just to keep it within the same "library" of downloads...
Ha -- I'm thinking of doing the same thing. Didn't realize it was going to be everywhere.
Michael is quickly becoming ubiquitous! I TOO opted for Penguin because I like the convenience of "My Penguin Magic" and my little fingertips magic library.
I hear Joshua Jay's site is taking bit coin for this. :(
[quote]
On 2014-01-04 10:50, MagicBrent wrote:
I'm glad it's only a dollar because I bought it at Murphy's not knowing penguin would carry it and may spend the buck again to penguin just to keep it within the same "library" of downloads...
[/quote]

Same here.... I don't want another "place" to have to sign in. Password. Etc. Etc.

I'm getting it on Penguin as well. Wish I would have read this first. Only a buck so not upset at all. Great Deal!!!!

BTW: It's actually $1.07 at MJM. Save .07 at Penguin...LOL!
So who is actually running the event as it seems a lot of dealers are selling this, if it is a lot of dealers surely that can only be a good thing
1. more magic shops will stay open in future
2. we get access to more live lectures from lecturers all around the globe
This is a great deal. The one concern I have for the others is how much overlap will there be with those that have already done Penguin Live lectures? I've got Danny's and Jon Armstrong's from Penguin, and would be interested in how different these lectures will be....
[quote]
On 2014-01-04 15:39, mikenewman wrote:
BTW: It's actually $1.07 at MJM.
[/quote]

No, it's only a $1.00 at MJM Magic......unless perhaps you're from California. Then I assume you're being assessed tax on the purchase. But since we don't operate in any other state, anyone outside of California will save that whopping $0.07 without breaking the bank. :)
[quote]
On 2014-01-04 15:50, Torquay22 wrote:
So who is actually running the event as it seems a lot of dealers are selling this, if it is a lot of dealers surely that can only be a good thing
[/quote]

This is produced by Murphys, so any dealer who has the infrastructure to offer their streaming line of products can present this to their customers. Since MJM Magic carries all of their downloads and physical items, we didn't think twice to jump on the opportunity and let people know about it.

I agree with you though.....the more people who have access to live lectures, the more the industry as a whole will benefit. I personally can't wait to see how this lecture turns out, as well as some of the upcoming ones which are lined up!
I apoligize
I ordered from Big Blind Media....
It's the exchange rate that sent me over...

I have a very dry sense of humor. The .07 is obviously not a problem at all.

Thanks and again I apoligize for me confusing you with BBM.

There are so many shops online, I get confused! :)

I'm excited that so many are carrying this. So thanks to all that are doing so!!
[quote]
On 2014-01-04 18:06, marD wrote:
This is a great deal. The one concern I have for the others is how much overlap will there be with those that have already done Penguin Live lectures? I've got Danny's and Jon Armstrong's from Penguin, and would be interested in how different these lectures will be....
[/quote]

Hey!

We're working with the artists to ensure the material taught is original to any previous online lecture they have performed. Should be little to no overlap.

-Kyle
[quote]
On 2014-01-04 15:50, Torquay22 wrote:
[/quote]

Hey there!

Murphy's is running & producing the event. Joshua Jay will be hosting first event wilth Michael Ammar!

-Kyle
Exciting about Josh Jay being involved! Hope he gets his own lecture down the road ..
Very cool! I'm a huge fan of the terrific Penguin Live lectures, and am glad to see that the offerings are expanding with other producers coming in. I'm in! :)
This is the biggest bargin in magic. $1 is a total no brainer.
Hey guys!

I wanted to let you know a little more about the Ammar lecture!

If you've seen seen Michael Ammar lecture before, at a convention or magic club you know how good it is but this is going to be amazing! . Michael is going to perform some things he has never lectured on before, and will also speak candidly with host Joshua Jay about his career, advice for other magicians, philosophy on creativity, what the future holds for magic and Michael, and more. We'll ask him about his time with Vernon, what's is like to perform in exotic countries, and what excites him MOST about magic in 2014. This will be up close, personal, and a riveting two hours.

I'm crazy excited for this!

-Kyle
The $1 lecture may go hand-in-hand the best bargain in magic other than the Reel Magic $5 deal.
Hi Kyle,

Was wondering if you can answer some questions about the "At The Table" lectures. But first, I wanted to say a big thank you for Murphy's not only offering the Ammar lecture at a $1 but for working with other magic retailers to have it available through them. Now for the questions.

Will Murphy's be the only vendor where future lectures will be available for viewing/downloading? If not, will other retailers also have the season pass available?

What kind of quality can we expect with the downloads, will it be on par with Penguin's lectures?

Will any type of DRM be applied? The reason I ask is because in the past I have purchased DVD downloads from different sites and not only is there DRM but it forces the screen size to be much smaller and on top of that the image quality is pretty bad. Check this [url=http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/search_post.php?topic=527146&forum=218&post=8113158]post/thread[/url] if you're interested in an example.

Anyways, thanks for your time. I was considering buying a season pass but was curious about a few things. Also wanted to give you kudos on your review site and the Q&A sessions that you post on youtube. I haven't been able to catch up to the latest ones (my magic backlog for viewing is so big) but these videos Murphy's have done are appreciated.
Hello,
I wanted to jump in because although I'm not a magician, I work at Murphy's and I wanted to make sure you got your answers.

All Murphy's dealers carrying downloads can sell the Ammar lecture, each of the individual lectures (Garcia, England, Pandrea and Armstrong) as well as the entire season.

All lectures are filmed in HD so I think everyone will be extremely happy with the quality. But for a $1, test it out! Can't wait to hear what YOU think.

No DRM is being applied. There is some security measures being taken but it should NOT affect your experience or the screen size in the way you indicated. The system we are using was created from the ground up, and has been tested extensively.

I hope you consider purchasing the season pass or some of the other individual performers. It really is a great value. Feel free to ask your Murphy's dealer with your other season pass questions, or I'm happy to help.

Thanks for your questions. Glad to hear you are enjoying the Unwrapped Reviews. Hopefully you can win one of the new releases on the Monday facebook contests.
I had to read the title TWICE because I thought this was a joke. For $1.00, this is the deal of the CENTURY! I can't wait for February 5th to get here!
Thanks, Michelle! Much appreciated. I've already pre-ordered the Ammar lecture but will probably get the season pass as well. I've found that these lectures have been a great resource. The tricks are great but the real treasure is hearing tips and advice on the other aspects of magic.
[quote]
On 2014-01-10 11:34, Robert P. wrote:
Hi Kyle,

Was wondering if you can answer some questions about the "At The Table" lectures. But first, I wanted to say a big thank you for Murphy's not only offering the Ammar lecture at a $1 but for working with other magic retailers to have it available through them. Now for the questions.

Will Murphy's be the only vendor where future lectures will be available for viewing/downloading? If not, will other retailers also have the season pass available?

What kind of quality can we expect with the downloads, will it be on par with Penguin's lectures?

Will any type of DRM be applied? The reason I ask is because in the past I have purchased DVD downloads from different sites and not only is there DRM but it forces the screen size to be much smaller and on top of that the image quality is pretty bad. Check this [url=http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/search_post.php?topic=527146&forum=218&post=8113158]post/thread[/url] if you're interested in an example.

Anyways, thanks for your time. I was considering buying a season pass but was curious about a few things. Also wanted to give you kudos on your review site and the Q&A sessions that you post on youtube. I haven't been able to catch up to the latest ones (my magic backlog for viewing is so big) but these videos Murphy's have done are appreciated.
[/quote]

Hey man!

I know Michelle answered your questions but I just wanted to say that the the quality from what I've seen in test runs has been amazing! I'm very excited for this!

-Kyle
Robert,
I'm glad you signed up. I look forward to hearing what you think of the first one after it airs. Everyone is putting a lot of work into this. Ammar is really committed to this lecture. As it gets closer more specifics will come out, I hope everyone takes advantage of this opportunity, especially for $1.
Oh, if it wasn't clear ALL of the lectures will take place the first Wed of every month at 4 PM, PST. So make sure you reserve the first Wed of every month in your schedule. And get your seat reserved with any Murphy's download dealer today!
Especially with the integrated chat function, you are going to want to watch these live.

If not, no worries, these will be available as downloads with your purchase as well without the live chat of course.
Maybe I missed it earlier, but how long are these At the Table lectures typically going to be?
[quote]
On 2014-01-12 01:15, cardcrazy wrote:
Maybe I missed it earlier, but how long are these At the Table lectures typically going to be?
[/quote]

The lectures are aimed to be a tight jam-packed 2 hours long!

-Kyle
At $1 a piece, don't you expect literally 1000 or more people?

It should be an amazing event! I'm working on my questions right now!!

Ad it's only a buck!!!
The lecture will be hosted by Joshua Jay who I'm sure will ask as many questions as possible. Josh is a great host and will ask all important relating questions to the lecture, I'm sure small questions like "what's your favorite color" may not be asked but the relevant questions will.

-Kyle
Hey guys,

I just read about some of the brand NEW stuff Michael will be teaching and it sounds awesome!

What is in the Michael Ammar Live Lecture

In this two hour live event, you'll see lots of tricks, Michael will take your questions, and he'll even delve into things you may have NOT seen him do at conventions or lectures. Like:

Broken and Restored Screen: This is Michael's newest "go-to" impromptu effect. Borrow someone's phone and crack the glass on the screen. SHOW THEM graphic detail how the broken screen looks and feels...then magically restore the phone and hand it back to them. Michael will discuss how he developed this effect, how a packing bubble can enhance the illusion, and how you can make the simple gimmick needed to perform.

Rubber Band Jam: Michael Ammar does Crazy Man's Handcuffs—a rubber band penetration—better than anyone alive. It's likely you do this effect as well. But we're going to go over several fine points that he has never tipped before, and how Richard Ross influenced his presentation in ways you haven't realized. We'll talk about Ammar's concept of the "delayed revelation" that can be applied to countless effects you already do.

Pencil Through Coin: This is NOT the version you know. Michael Ammar consulted on a television special where this effect was used, and the method is FANTASTIC and NEW—new as in "brand new," never before lectured on. Mr. Ammar will use his "At the Table" performance to debut this effect and its unusual handling to the magic community.

Hardcore Card Jam: Michael Ammar has chops—great chops, and he has had great teachers. We rarely get to see Michael's chops up close because he often performs for groups of 50, 100, or 1000 people at a time. Well, on February 5th, we'll see him up close and personal, with camera work that will get each of us within inches of his hands. He'll give us a masterclass on the Side Steal, some palms, and more.

He will discuss his theory of "Technical Alchemy," the idea that the best ideas are often stripped down to the irreducible minimum, so that the only actions, words, and movements included in an effect play some positive role.

I'm really excited to see the cracked cell screen!

-Kyle
I just want to let everyone know that because MJM Magic is one of the dealers offering this fantastic lecture, I was able to take part in a behind-the-scenes test of how it's going to happen. All I can say is, WOW! This is going to be good!

There are multiple cameras on the set to cover a variety of angles. The set looks very professional, and the video streaming quality on our website was HD quality. Granted, I was testing it out from a laptop on a Cable connection, but others were using their iPads and it looked just as amazing. The audio was perfect, and we experienced no lagging or connection issues.

The chat box is also a nice touch, allowing users to type in questions for the moderator, and they will be selected to have Michael address them. Overall, I am very pleased with how smoothly this is going, and it looks like this is going to be a fantastic turnout for the February 5th Lecture. I imagine there will be at least 500+ people watching this thing (or even more at this price)!
Wow really looking forward for it!
Glad I saved 10 cents aside each month last year.
Where will the lectures take place? Anyone know?
[quote]
On 2014-01-17 14:50, Andre Hagen wrote:
Where will the lectures take place? Anyone know?
[/quote]

From what I have gathered, it will take place on location at the Murphy's Magic studio. But I don't think you can physically go there to watch it, which is why it's accessible as a streaming live event (and as a download for afterwards). You can purchase a ticket to watch it from many dealers (I happened to get mine from MJM Magic: http://www.mjmmagic.com/store/-p-17894.html)

I literally cannot wait until February 5th to watch this thing!
I took part in the live test yesterday to see how this works.

The picture quality was excellent and the live chat feature worked just fine,

This is indeed going to be very good and at 69p UK price this really is a no brainer.

It airs at midnight UK time but the great thing about this is that if you are not able to watch it and take part live you can stream it via your enabled device or download it to keep for ever!

We are very excited to be able to offer this lecture and the others in this first season, details can be found in the download section of our website.
Hey Saturn! Thank you for joining us during the dealer's test! Poor George (our Cinematographer) got thrown into presenting. Poor guy. For a non-presenter we thought he did great.

Been working with Michael, Josh Jay and Andi Gadwin on making the final pre-production adjustments and we're doing everything we can to make this a memorable experience for everyone.

Look forward to seeing you at the event!
Seen Ammar lecture so many times and without a doubt he is fantastic an such a nice guy.has he also became a butcher ? Just if he's going to have "chops" with him. also, will they be pork chops. sorry could't resist that. just allways have thought it was funny when that term is used in magic along with copacetic and cognesenti. no dig meant just my weird sence of humour. mike donoghue
I like pork chops too.

Looks like we may have up to 1900 users (so far) and we're making arrangements to make sure that this is as interactive as possible. Reality will dictate that not everyone's questions will be answered. Josh Jay is an amazing host, but even Oprah couldn't field 1900 consecutive sould asking questions. So, we'll be moderating questions as they come in and Josh will be selecting the most relevant, and the most helpful questions to post to Michael.

However, we will be doing everything we can to make sure you get your questions in, so help us with thoughtful and provoking qustions during the event and we'll give those questions extra consideration.

If you have any questions, we welcome them all here and we are here to make sure you have a great lecture with Michael!
Hi have a question Jason....but it's about 'colored smoke' being available for my 'Pure Smoke' unit!
Hey Markymark,

That project and it's evolution belong exclusivey to Ellusionist and regrettably, I have had no involvement with it as of early 2012.
Hey guys!

I'm so excited to announce that Michael Ammar will be joining us for our Tuesday Night Hangout tomorrow!

This is an amazing advance opportunity before the At The Table Lecture to ask Michael anything!

I'm sure there will be a ton of questions to be asked so please let me know your questions now to make sure they get asked!

Get the link to the event here 15mins before the Hangout
http://www.murphysmagic.com/hangout/

See you all there!

-Kyle
This is gonna be the best hangout ever, that's weird for me to say since I had one lol
But come on guys, it's Michael Ammar!!!
None should miss this, I know I won't :)
Going live with the incredible Michael Ammar in 15mins for our Tuesday Night Hangout!

Get the link at
http://www.murphysmagic.com/hangout

Come hangout with us!

-Kyle
Looks like Michael Ammar just filmed a new trailer video for this upcoming lecture in a few days. It's the first video displayed on this page: [url=http://www.mjmmagic.com/store/-p-17894.html]Michael Ammar Lecture - $1.00[/url]

Just knowing that this is going to be all new material is very exciting to hear!
This is going to be awesome!

This is a amazing chance to see Michael like never before!

See everyone tomorrow!

http://www.murphysmagic.com/atthetable/

-Kyle
The lecture is midnight UK time so I will up processing any late orders to jump in and watch this!

Even if you can't watch it live it will be a great watch for the price as you can stream or download approx' 48 hours after the lecture.

http://www.saturnmagic.co.uk/new-magic/at-the-table-live-lecture-michael-ammar-video-download-.html
So this will available at Saturn Magic as a download AFTER the lecture?
This is just a reminder that this Michael Ammar lecture is happening TOMORROW (February 5th at 4:00pm PST). And to answer some other questions, those who purchase it will be able to watch and interact LIVE through our website (or wherever you may have purchased your ticket from).

After the lecture is finished, we will have the lecture archived at MJM Magic so that you can re-watch it or download it at anytime in the future. However, because this is a live event which will stream in real-time to your account tomorrow, you may not be able to download the lecture immediately after it's done, because we need time to have it archived up to the media server. (Might take a day or two for that portion....we're hoping to have the archived download of the lecture be available by February 7th).

So yes.....whether you watch it LIVE with us tomorrow at 4:00pm, or if you watch it after the event, you can always download it from your MJM Magic download library (or from your other favorite dealer). Some people seem to think that you only have one shot to watch this, and that's not true. There is only one shot to watch it LIVE as it's happening, but you will always be able to re-watch what happened in case you aren't able to be a part of the event.

And just a final reminder: this is still only $1.00.....but the price will go back up to $25.00 in less than two weeks! Hopefully everyone has purchased their ticket for this. I myself cannot wait to be a part of this event.

If you have any other questions, just send me a message and let me know.
[quote]
On 2014-02-04 17:58, virtualwizard wrote:
[/quote]

Hi

Yes it will but jump in and order because the price goes up a week or so after the lecture.

http://www.saturnmagic.co.uk/new-magic/at-the-table-live-lecture-michael-ammar-video-download-.html
Little over 4 hours until At The Table with Michael Ammar!

This is going to be so much fun!

http://www.murphysmagic.com/atthetable
I'm here for any late entrants that have not bought this yet, especially for those in the UK as it's now 11.21pm!

Lecture starts in 35 minutes.

Got it from Penguin. do I just hit play and it will start?
Have no idea where to actually log on
Starts in 15 minutes! I just wanted to inform any Café members who happened to purchase this through MJM Magic that I will be online and available to help out with any technical issues you may have. Just go to our site and click the Live Help button located on the bottom right hand side of our site if you need assistance. I just wanted to make that clear, since it's faster than sending us an email (and I won't be here on the Café during the lecture to read any messages).

Woohoo! I can't wait for this!!!
[quote]
On 2014-02-05 02:26, Saturn Magic wrote:
[quote]
On 2014-02-04 17:58, virtualwizard wrote:
[/quote]

Hi

Yes it will but jump in and order because the price goes up a week or so after the lecture.

[/quote]

Thanks!
VernonOnCoins, the lecture is available right in your MyPenguinMagic area like everything else at Penguin.
http://www.penguinmagic.com/penguinlearn.php
Bummer! I am not able to access. Has it started yet?
[quote]
On 2014-02-05 19:14, Magiguy wrote:
Bummer! I am not able to access. Has it started yet?
[/quote]

Your are not the only one...
I watched it for about an hour having bought it from MJM Magic. Then my computer battery died and I lost the connection. I plugged in the computer, reloaded the page, and now I can't get the stream again. What I saw was low-key and good, done in a kind of talk show format with Michael sitting with Josh Jay at a table. Covered in the first hour were the four effects Ammar did on Letterman, a handling for pen through quarter (with a tease for a new, additional gimmick that Ammar may have finished next year), and a simple "find a card" effect using a side steal. I'll have to watch the rest on download.
[quote]
On 2014-02-05 19:11, Acar wrote:
VernonOnCoins, the lecture is available right in your MyPenguinMagic area like everything else at Penguin.
[/quote]

Actually it's not, at least not for me. It asks me to log in with the Email address and the password that was emailed to me when I made the purchase, which of course I did not receive one. When I type in my Email address and password for Penguin, it tells me that it is sorry but my Email address is not in the system.

I don't really mind being able to watch it later as a download, but this is really sub par and I will probably not order the rest of the series.

Robert
There appears to be something wrong with the live stream reliability. Just try refreshing a few times. That's what I'm recommending to all our customers.
Robert, that's not actually our site asking you to login. That's a technical error. That "email / password" page is what is showing up when the live stream fails to load.

Try refreshing 5-10 times. It should work.

Sorry, this isn't an elegant solution, but I'm afraid it's out of my hands.

PS: GREAT TO MEET YOU AT MAGI-FEST!
Magicguy and tmoca, which dealer did you purchase from?
You can email support@magicdownloads.net for assistance.
I had the same problem with IE. I tried Google Chrome and it worked fine.

Phil
Sorry, I have tried that many times to no avail! Just to make it clear, I have no problem with you Acar or Penguin as I seldom have any kind of issue with your lectures. I am not always that pleased with the lecturer themself, but I never have a problem with the your side of of them.

Thanks,

Robert
The lecture was a complete success! I saw no technical difficulties from our perspective here at MJM. Michael Ammar was very entertaining, and Joshua Jay did a great job moderating the lecture. As a dealer, I made sure I was online for any customer who needed help (because frankly, I always prepare for the worst and anticipate lots to go wrong)......but things went very smoothly, which was a load off my shoulders. That's mainly a testament to Murphy's for putting on a smooth running event!

I can't wait to be a part of the Daniel Garcia event next month.

If anyone didn't have a chance to see the lecture, remember that it still can be watched for only a $1.00 (although give us a little time to have it uploaded to the server......the lecture was over two hours long so it probably won't be online until tomorrow or Friday). Once it's online, it will be accessible through your Download Library.
I saw this on Penguin Magic, It said pre order. I purchased, but it was almost complete. I only saw the last half hour. Will this be uploaded so that I can download and watch the whole tutorial. Living in Australia, I don't know the time difference and got caught out.
I watched it on Penguin without any problems except a few very occasional lags. I enjoyed it a lot. I liked the conversational format, which I think worked well.

And yes, phillipsart, I believe the lecture will be available to download within a couple of days.
Thought the lecture was decent. Love Michael and it was nice to hear him field questions. In terms of material, it was all pretty standard Ammar stuff.
I watched this at MJM Magic, and I had no problems whatsoever. I was expecting at least a little lag or perhaps some sound issues (because of so many people watching the same event simultaneously), but it was smooth and lag-free. Couldn't have gone better.

I imagine that if anyone had issues, it would boil down to individual broadband connections, and not a problem with the respective dealers or with the event itself.

Hopefully this will be online again soon to re-watch. Michael shared a lot of valuable insight in this lecture.
Sounds like the "password request" issue was a common one. I purchased through Vanishing Inc. After the initial logon issue I sent a message and received an immediate response (just what I would have expected from Andi & Josh). I then logged in without issue, and enjoyed a perfect streaming experience.

Overall, I enjoyed the lecture. Michael was as engaging as ever, and Josh was a terrific host. Murphy's still needs to hammer out a few issues and establish a consistent, marketable format (just as Penguin has successfully done), but it would be presumptuous to judge them based on the first (practically free) lecture. I only hope that the on-line lectures don't diminish the enthusiasm for live lecture tours. I would hate to see this go the way of the brick and mortar marketplace. Live magic is still, and always will be, my preference.
Yes, that is my main gripe as well (about the download password being different than my store account password which can cause some confusion). But aside from that, I think there is a lot of promise with these Murphys online lectures. I'm really looking forward to the Daniel Garcia one next month.
It looks like all my customers got on OK as I had no reported problems.

The only issue yesterday was people not realising the password was different to their store password.

The email sent after they ordered did give the live page link and the user name and password but it seems some must have forgot there was a different password if they purchased some time ago or maybe did not read the whole email they were sent.

I only had 2 customers with this issue and they soon found the instructions when I pointed it out.

I live in a village and the broadband speed is very low but this streamed well in high quality.

This was a very good start to the series quality and overall feel was very good.

If you missed the lecture we have it for download here but be quick the price goes up soon

One final thing you can ask your dealer to change your password to whatever you want so it can be changed to be the same as your store password to save you remembering another.
Very good lecture. Saw it on Penguin and I loved it ! :)
I was one of those who never got to log in via Penguin. I'm not sure who's servers are at fault, but there are obviously techincal issues that still need resolution.
Thanks for your patience, everyone. I just got word from the "At The Table" team that they fixed the bug that was causing the random errors we experienced last night.

Fingers crossed, the next one should be smooth sailing for all!

And regardless of whether you watched live or not, we'll have the download available in your MyPenguinMagic area soon. I'll send an email out letting you know when it goes up.

Thanks again for all your patience and support.
It's available for download :)
[quote]
On 2014-02-06 16:29, Sean Giles wrote:
It's available for download :)
[/quote]

Must be on a different site because its still not working on Penguin. Would have been nice to watch it Live so you could chime in and ask questions. Kinda sucked to have all of that build up for a LIVE lecture only to have to watch a download days later.
If you ask before the download is available, maybe you could get your WHOLE DOLLAR refunded.

Magicians need to grow up and learn some patience.

Technology is not actually magical. New systems have bugs that need to be worked out.

In a couple days I'll have a new lecture for a mere dollar, and I can watch it over and over again. I think that's pretty great.
Sounds like we should get another lecture for only $1 till the bugs are fixed
What you all think????
I was hoping he was gonna bust out some cups and ball. Oh well. What a ya expect for a dollar.
Good news! I just finished working with the "At the Table" tech team to fix the bug that caused a short download delay for some of you. The ATT system wasn't handling the download file quite right. I'm sure this will all be smooth sailing next time.

It's working now, and your download is available here:

Thank you for all your patience and support!
Nice lecture. Only fell asleep once. Very much worth a dollar.
I ordered through Penguin and didn't have any issues. They emailed a link to the lecture a few hours before it started, and I was able to connect right away. I know not everyone was as lucky, but remember this was the first lecture in a series, and it's nearly impossible to predict everything that can go wrong ahead of time. I think things can only improve as the series goes on, and the chance to sit in on a 2 hour conversation between Michael Ammar and Joshua Jay for the price of $1 is a great bargain, even if we have to wait a day or two to shake out the glitches.
Same thing here. I bought the lecture from Penguin and watched the whole thing on their site with no problems. ;)
This is a FANTASTIC lecture!!! Highly recommended!!!
Packed full of great effects and even better advice. Big thanks to Vanishing, Inc. and Michael Ammar for this.
Worth a dollar but if I had paid full price on this I would have been hugely dissapointed... Maybe Penguin magic has just spoiled me with their amazing +4 hour lectures...

The first 30mins or so covered Ammar's David Letterman performance. Its interesting to hear why he choose to do what he did but magic wise it wasnt really that spectacular... Especially since Daniel Garcia's balloon trick wasnt covered at all... Also they could have discussed much more about topit but they skimmed over it rather fast as they did the little hand and silk thru mic stand...

All together I woudnt recommend this lecture to anyone who is looking for new material since there really wasnt any. Also covered was extremely common spin cut production and side steal control and crazy mans handcuffs... The later Ammar does pretty much better than anyone else but still who doesn't already do it :( New Pencil thru coin looked amazing but was pretty much just teaser of future product that is coming out somewhere in the future and wasnt teached.

The strenght of the lecture was in stories and experiences by Ammar but sadly they were also interupted many many times by Joshua Jay so they didn't get a change to get too deep...

Technically video quality was good, they had multiple camera angles and no lag at least in downloadable version. However the size of download was HUGE when compared to what Penguin has managed to done for over a year; 2 hour lecture as a download is over 2gigs when Penguin 5 hour marathons are under 2 gigs with same picture quality...

So as said in the beginning, really nice buck for the value as 1$ lecture but I would have been badly dissapointed if I had paid 25$ for this...

J-M
[quote]
On 2014-02-07 12:21, korttihai_82 wrote:
Worth a dollar but if I had paid full price on this I would have been hugely dissapointed... Maybe Penguin magic has just spoiled me with their amazing +4 hour lectures...

The first 30mins or so covered Ammar's David Letterman performance. Its interesting to hear why he choose to do what he did but magic wise it wasnt really that spectacular... Especially since Daniel Garcia's balloon trick wasnt covered at all... Also they could have discussed much more about topit but they skimmed over it rather fast as they did the little hand and silk thru mic stand...

All together I woudnt recommend this lecture to anyone who is looking for new material since there really wasnt any. Also covered was extremely common spin cut production and side steal control and crazy mans handcuffs... The later Ammar does pretty much better than anyone else but still who doesn't already do it :( New Pencil thru coin looked amazing but was pretty much just teaser of future product that is coming out somewhere in the future and wasnt teached.

The strenght of the lecture was in stories and experiences by Ammar but sadly they were also interupted many many times by Joshua Jay so they didn't get a change to get too deep...

Technically video quality was good, they had multiple camera angles and no lag at least in downloadable version. However the size of download was HUGE when compared to what Penguin has managed to done for over a year; 2 hour lecture as a download is over 2gigs when Penguin 5 hour marathons are under 2 gigs with same picture quality...

So as said in the beginning, really nice buck for the value as 1$ lecture but I would have been badly dissapointed if I had paid 25$ for this...

J-M

[/quote]

I could not have said it any better myself. This is exactly what I was thinking. I guess I'll be skipping these lectures and stay with Penguin's.
Overall I enjoyed the lecture a lot - always have been a big fan of Michael and Josh. I think having a host on board to keep things moving and on track is excellent. I also thought having the multiple camera angles (including the overhead view) and general video quality were quite good.

I do feel like the time limit of 2 hours feels far too short, not to mention arbitrarily assigned/enforced. I can't recall the last time I went to an in-person lecture that didn't last at least 2.5 to 3 hours, if not longer. As previously mentioned in the thread, the Penguin lectures frequently last for 4-5 hours these days.

I think it's great to try to cover a lot of material and keep the pace up, but I did feel like a lot of the material in this first ATT lecture really only skimmed the surface. I didn't get the vibe that Michael, Josh, or the studio audience were really ready for the lecture to end after 2 hours, so why restrict it? I'd much rather see things get into more detail and come to a more natural close rather than have to wrap things up to beat the clock.

Kevin
There was also the mental prediction/5 kids joke routine..
I thought Josh did a good enough job and it was a pleasure to listen to Michael. At the end Michael did (I think) say that he had 2-3 other bits he was going to do - why was he not encouraged to do so?

This would have better been described as 'an audience with Michael Ammar' - had it been billed as such I would have been happy. As a lecture, I lean towards Korttihai_82's point of view as we have been spoilt by Penguin, and thought it was okay...
Agree here as well.
I really like the online lecture format and making performers available to us. However with these now starting up as well, I am curious as to what level of duplication may be seen. Will Danny Garcia's have different enough material from his not that long ago penguin lecture to make it not feel like you're paying for the same thing twice? same concern with Jason England and Jon Armstrong coming up.
It was a nice contrast to the penguin style. I think there is plenty of room for both and I liked it a lot.
I liked it a lot...But not for $25. I liked the interview style with stories etc and the quality was fantastic. I can live with these for $15 , once a month.
I was surprised by the very large amount of time given to audience questions, especially given the comparatively short running time overall.

I'd prefer the lecture to be thoughtfully shaped by the lecturer and/or the skilled facilitator, rather than by Joe Random watching at home.
I subscribed to the lecture as per the $1 offer. I wasn´t able to login on the night and I am still not able to login now to watch the lecture.
How do I get a password please. I have emailed using the links on the original email and within the Vannishing Ink website.
Kinda surprised by the negative comments on this. There was GOLD in this lecture. I actually loved the talk show format, a nice contrast to the Penguin series (which I love also). Some amazing advice. I thought the serial number trick was fantastic. Plus the insights were just great. I don't know. Maybe it's my age but these days I'd rather see a handful of really good tricks and hear loads of great advice.

As far as the two hour format goes... I think the 4 hour plus lectures are great on video because you can break them up and watch them in segments at your leisure. But in real life, two hours is about right for a live lecture. My live lecture is just under two hours and I still manage to cover about 11 tricks. Anything more than that and the audience gets restless. So maybe they are trying to emulate a real life lecture experience with the two hour format... Either way, yes it leaves you wanting for more but two hours is still two hours.
[quote]
On 2014-02-08 08:26, Cameron Francis wrote:
I thought the serial number trick was fantastic. Plus the insights were just great. I don't know. Maybe it's my age but these days I'd rather see a handful of really good tricks and hear loads of great advice.

[/quote]

I would have paid $30.00 just for the serial number trick. I really only had the chance to watch that part because of the problem of logging in, but I will download the whole lecture.

But from what I did watch, it was great. Was it me, or does he say "You Know" quite often?

Phil
Has anybody tried to put this on their iPad?

I am flying out to Vegas tomorrow and thought this would be great to watch on the way. ITunes tells me it can not be played on the iPad. I have put some Penguin lectures on my iPad with no problem. And they are both MP4 format.

Thanks
Phil
Frankly, after seeing some of the recent Penguin lectures (Giobbi, in particular) -- I think the Ammar lecture should have been twice the length. Penguin, as far as I'm concerned, has set the bar -- both for the overall quality but also for the bang for the buck content.

Having said that, I think this particular Ammar lecture was fantastic -- but, honestly, I was expecting a bit more.

Finally, I think Penguin (especially) or these new outfits ought to not only offer the downloads (which they already do, of course) -- but also some sort of brief index of the lecture contents (after the lecture). Nothing detailed -- but maybe a 10 or fifteen point document that outlines the major themes along with the times. I realize this takes a bit of effort of Penguin's part -- but I hate to think of having all this material and then realizing -- two, three years from now -- that virtually none of the material was documented.

And if other outfits plan to charge $25 -- a bit expensive, I think -- then they *definitely* should add the index. This would increase the value and make the post-lecture index a pretty compelling reason to spend the money.
BTW -- Penguin would really go over the top if they went back to all of their older lectures over the past two years (or however long they've been going on) and add this brief index to the download for each lecture. Again -- incredibly time consuming -- but -- wow -- it would be a fantastic way to reference the material.
I enjoyed the download. I particularly liked Michael's analysis of his performance on Letterman
and the pitfalls that await those who come on this show.
Michael referred to Letterman's lack of respect for magicians compared to the late Johnny Carson.
[quote]
On 2014-02-08 09:26, Merlin wrote:

I am flying out to Vegas tomorrow and thought this would be great to watch on the way. ITunes tells me it can not be played on the iPad. I have put some Penguin lectures on my iPad with no problem. And they are both MP4 format.

Thanks
Phil
[/quote]

I couldn't get it on my iPad either using iTunes. There is often Apple weirdness involving MP4 and M4V files. I wound up transferring it with Goodreader, which, although primarily known as a PDF reader, will import and play just about anything. I'd try that or VLC player, which is free.
[quote]
On 2014-02-08 11:39, bugjack wrote:
[quote]
On 2014-02-08 09:26, Merlin wrote:

Thanks
Phil
[/quote]

I couldn't get it on my iPad either using iTunes. There is often Apple weirdness involving MP4 and M4V files. I wound up transferring it with Goodreader, which, although primarily known as a PDF reader, will import and play just about anything. I'd try that or VLC player, which is free.
[/quote]

Thanks, I will look into both.

Phil
I haven't watched the Ammar lecture yet…looking forward to it.

However, my wife got me a 6 months Penguin subscription 1 1/2 years ago for my birthday… and I still haven't cancelled it. : )

I do like the camaraderie of attending a lecture, but from a strictly learning perspective, these are great.

(and unlike a lecture that I attend, if I forget something, I can go back and watch it again!)
Great lecture and the tech worked amazingly. Crystal clear teaching and picture quality.

Kudos to all involved.

Si
Indexing (for penguin live, and for at the table) would be great, but I do it myself in a spreadsheet, a tab for each lecture.
The great thing about that is that you can personalise it, add a description, a rating of how much you liked it, plus any notes you want to make. If you make this index as you watch each lecture then it doesn't take too much extra time.
I finally got a chance to see the lecture, although it seemed more like an interview with demonstrations. I thought Ammar was great as always, but I didn't really care for the talk show like format. I'll probably be skipping the rest of this series, although I really would like to see John Armstrong lecture again. I would also like to see Jason England, but I'll be catching his Penguin lecture.

Robert
Concerning the iPad playback, there apparently is an issue with the video plug-in which is causing iPads not to view the lecture right now. This was something that WAS WORKING a few days ago....but apparently, Flash Macromedia may have rolled out an update which broke the playback function on the iOS.

This is why (at the current moment) iPads are not able to view the lecture. It's certainly not permanent. The developers are currently working on this, and we hope that it gets resolved early this week.

All PC's should still be able to access the lecture without any problems. If there are any MJM Magic customers that are having password issues or anything else, just contact us through our website, and we're available to assist. The feedback we have been hearing from our customers has been overwhelming positive. I cannot wait until the next one in just a few short weeks!
I thought this was great. Everything worked seamlessly and the picture quality was fantastic. Those comparing the format to Penguin should be thankful as it's great that they are doing something original instead of cloning Penguin's format of just letting lecturers speak for as many hours as they want!

All in all, I am very impressed with how this worked. They have clearly thought about the technical stuff here and it all worked perfectly.
I found the show very entertaining. Yes it is a different format and some may not like it. But that is why they provided the first episode for $1 to get the maximum feedback.
The lecture was good, but will someone who saw this please explain to me the story that he told about the man having five children and how it made sense relating to the outcome of the trick (writing down the numbers eventually revealed as the serial numbers on a dollar bill)? It had nothing to do with the story he told.
I am totally bewildered.

Arthur
Ammar is excellent and Josh was a pretty good interviewer. Great interview but lacked the volume of tricks and routines. Of course worth $1.00, but would have been a bit disappointed to pay $25.00.
[quote]
On 2014-02-10 06:50, Martello wrote:
The lecture was good, but will someone who saw this please explain to me the story that he told about the man having five children and how it made sense relating to the outcome of the trick (writing down the numbers eventually revealed as the serial numbers on a dollar bill)? It had nothing to do with the story he told.
I am totally bewildered.

Arthur
[/quote]

Martello, I'm with you on that, I was wondering that as well. I enjoyed the lecture overall, though.
[quote]
On 2014-02-10 13:26, Romano911 wrote:
[quote]
On 2014-02-10 06:50, Martello wrote:
I am totally bewildered.

Arthur
[/quote]

Martello, I'm with you on that, I was wondering that as well. I enjoyed the lecture overall, though.
[/quote]

It had nothing to do with it. It was just a joke.
It wasn't "just a joke". It comprised most of his script for the effect.

The joke did have a 3-beat setup which he used to write the 3 parts of the serial number, so he was making some use of the joke's structure. But the joke's content was not tied back into the effect in any way, and his pausing to write the numbers during the joke was entirely unmotivated.

The switching move he used was decent, but the routine was a mess.
3/10 based on this "lecture" or whatever you call it.

Pros:

Excellent video quality.
Multiple camera angles.
Josh did a good job.

Cons:

2 hours is far too short for this type of thing. Most lectures run 3 to 4 hours and have some substance.
Too much talking, not enough routines. A card pop out move, 30 seconds on the side steal, crazy man's handcuffs and a really strange routine with a bill that was not mentalism nor really magical at all. He knew the numbers on the bill by......how? I agree with the poster above...it was a mess and a half. If Ammar showed anything else it has completely slipped my mind.

I'm glad only paid a buck for this. Hopefully these will improve with time but they have a long way to go.
Good to hear some honest feedback here. Glad I didn't bother with it, frankly.
[quote]
On 2014-02-10 15:33, tomsk192 wrote:
Good to hear some honest feedback here. Glad I didn't bother with it, frankly.
[/quote]

You didn't miss anything.
[quote]
On 2014-02-10 15:00, duanebarry wrote:
It wasn't "just a joke". It comprised most of his script for the effect.

The joke did have a 3-beat setup which he used to write the 3 parts of the serial number, so he was making some use of the joke's structure. But the joke's content was not tied back into the effect in any way, and his pausing to write the numbers during the joke was entirely unmotivated.

The switching move he used was decent, but the routine was a mess.
[/quote]

It was, in fact, just a joke. A very old one at that. Not sure why you're debating that, then going on to say it had nothing to do with the effect. It didn't have anything to do with the effect other than for providing the moment of misdirection at the punchline. I think his purpose was to demonstrate the switch, not provide a fully structured routine around it.

In other words, for the people who want to know what the relationship between that joke and that trick was, there wasn't any, so you don't have to concern yourself with it -- you didn't miss anything.
[quote]
On 2014-02-10 15:30, Harv wrote:

Too much talking, not enough routines.
[/quote]

Well, the series is called "At the Table" which I guess is meant to imply a conversational "talk show" approach.
Personally, I really liked it but then I am probably one of the few that think the Penguin lectures often go on for too long. I am a Penguin subscriber though.

But why would you want other online lectures to be just like Penguin's?
I prefer to have variety and options. In some cases I may prefer Penguin's approach, other times Murphy's. It's good to have choices.

We are bombarded with new tricks and handlings from every direction. Not to mention all that has been published in the past.
Do you really feel there is not enough of that type of material already available?

I enjoy hearing these performer's stories and tales and wisdom and advice from all their years of experience.
Often times that is much more helpful to me than just an explanation of some new switch or control.

But I realize everyone is different, with different needs and preferences and I respect all the other opinions on this.
I agree that we don't need something identical to what Penguin is doing, so I don't have a problem with the way they're doing things.

I also agree that $25 is probably a little steep for a more casual/conversational format.

But to be fair, if you watch some of the original penguin lectures, they were very rough, so maybe things will pick up.
Indeed... The format of casual/conversational is really nice idea and it certainly would find its audience but not with this price range... In many cases even the penguin lectures best part is the interview in the end.

J-M
[quote]
On 2014-02-10 15:48, videoman wrote:
[quote]

[/quote]

Well, the series is called "At the Table" which I guess is meant to imply a conversational "talk show" approach.
Personally, I really liked it but then I am probably one of the few that think the Penguin lectures often go on for too long. I am a Penguin subscriber though.

I prefer to have variety and options. In some cases I may prefer Penguin's approach, other times Murphy's. It's good to have choices.

We are bombarded with new tricks and handlings from every direction. Not to mention all that has been published in the past.
Do you really feel there is not enough of that type of material already available?

I enjoy hearing these performer's stories and tales and wisdom and advice from all their years of experience.
Often times that is much more helpful to me than just an explanation of some new switch or control.

But I realize everyone is different, with different needs and preferences and I respect all the other opinions on this.
[/quote]

Good points. It could be called At the Kitchen Counter. The name doesn't mean a thing and it's up to Murphy's to define what this is going to be all about. If it's going to be a yakfest and nothing more perhaps they could call it "A Conversation with...." I wouldn't pay $25 to listen to someone talk for two hours...my wife does that for free. Penguin nailed it and Murphy's missed the boat but the bottom line is all about parting you from your hard earned $$$$$.
[quote]
On 2014-02-10 17:14, Harv wrote:
[quote]
[quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Good points. It could be called At the Kitchen Counter. The name doesn't mean a thing and it's up to Murphy's to define what this is going to be all about. If it's going to be a yakfest and nothing more perhaps they could call it "A Conversation with...." I wouldn't pay $25 to listen to someone talk for two hours...my wife does that for free. Penguin nailed it and Murphy's missed the boat but the bottom line is all about parting you from your hard earned $$$$$.
[/quote]

While I see your point
I dunno I find conversation with an artist I enjoy very engaging
I enjoy it

not sure they "missed the boat"
mebbe they just missed "your boat"

Shawn
[quote]
On 2014-02-10 17:23, Slartibartfaust wrote:
[quote]
On 2014-02-10 17:14, Harv wrote:
[quote]
[quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

While I see your point
I dunno I find conversation with an artist I enjoy very engaging
I enjoy it

Shawn
[/quote]

Could be...only time will tell.
[quote]
On 2014-01-03 19:04, daffydoug wrote:
It's good to hear that 2014 is starting off with a bang and a lot of new exciting things are happening. Michael could easily charge 100 bucks for this, and even then it would still be a bargain. But one buck???

I don't think a deal like this is going to be coming down the road for a long, long time.
[/quote]

I don't Think Michael Ammar has anything to do with the price charged. I believe he still got his fee, but BBM or Vanishing inc, or whoever is responsible charged the one dollar introductory fee, to show people how great it is, and hopefully they will buy a package, or individually buy the other lectures.
My download from penguin does not work! I read that they had problems during the live feed but why can't I watch it. I got it through penguin all my penguin lectures work but It won't load. It started for about 1min then nothing. Also it does not look like its in HD. Did anyone else have this problem?
Please help.
[quote]
On 2014-02-10 17:23, Slartibartfaust wrote:

Shawn
[/quote]

Ha, good point, and they will never hit everyone's "boat".
I assume Murphy's is still finding their way with this and may likely experiment with different formats. Ultimately, they need these to make a decent profit in order to continue so I would guess they will eventually find the key to hitting enough "boats", or their ship will sink.
Well for me it was well worth $1 just to see his updated take on the coin switch, I've been playing with a few of them (mainly the Garrett Thomas version which is practically invisible,but I think this is the one I"m gonna stick with.
Anyone know how many tuned in to watch?
[quote]
On 2014-02-08 08:52, Merlin wrote:
[quote]
On 2014-02-08 08:26, Cameron Francis wrote:
I thought the serial number trick was fantastic. Plus the insights were just great. I don't know. Maybe it's my age but these days I'd rather see a handful of really good tricks and hear loads of great advice.

[/quote]

I would have paid $30.00 just for the serial number trick. I really only had the chance to watch that part because of the problem of logging in, but I will download the whole lecture.

But from what I did watch, it was great. Was it me, or does he say "You Know" quite often?

Phil
[/quote]

I would have gave you that one for 15.00
[quote]
On 2014-02-13 21:24, John McLaughlin wrote:
Well for me it was well worth $1 just to see his updated take on the coin switch, I've been playing with a few of them (mainly the Garrett Thomas version which is practically invisible,but I think this is the one I"m gonna stick with.
[/quote]

When did he do the coin switch, at the very end? I left off at the place where he was going to do a Dai Vernon card thing. I was stuck on practicing Crazy Man's Handcuffs, and the snapped and restored rubber band for days.
[quote]
On 2014-02-13 19:31, magicjoe wrote:
My download from penguin does not work! I read that they had problems during the live feed but why can't I watch it. I got it through penguin all my penguin lectures work but It won't load. It started for about 1min then nothing. Also it does not look like its in HD. Did anyone else have this problem?
Please help.
[/quote]

I had a problem with the download skipping, and so forth. I got mine from Vanishing Inc. However watching the live stream worked perfectly.
He did the coin change when he did the pencil through coin.
[quote]
On 2014-02-14 10:49, TCB wrote:
I had a problem with the download skipping, and so forth. I got mine from Vanishing Inc. However watching the live stream worked perfectly.
[/quote]

Hi TCB,

Are you watching the video online? It's a long download so is probably buffering. I would suggest downloading it to your computer and then it will play all the way through without buffering.

Feel free to email us at any time. Our email address is magic@vanishingincmagic.com

Thanks!

Vanishing Inc. [Andi]
I really loved this one! What really struck me was the value I got from Michael's people skills related to magic. I loved his thinking on starting with an audience by making deposits to the relationship bank and I really enjoyed some of his impromptu effects. I also really liked his evolution of the pencil through coin. I have been doing that same routine with almost the same handling (learned from Dave Williamson who I believe learned it from Michael Ammar). I had not seen this effect ever until now, and the preparation is a bit more than your typical pencil through coin.
KJ
[quote]
On 2014-02-14 11:22, VanishingInc wrote:
[quote]
On 2014-02-14 10:49, TCB wrote:
[/quote]

Hi TCB,

Are you watching the video online? It's a long download so is probably buffering. I would suggest downloading it to your computer and then it will play all the way through without buffering.

Feel free to email us at any time. Our email address is magic@vanishingincmagic.com

Thanks!

Vanishing Inc. [Andi]
[/quote]

Hi Guys I downloaded my copy at work on their network. That may have something to do with it. I could play the streaming video at home clear as a bell, so I didn't bother to try downloading it again. That video stays up to watch as long as we want right?
[quote]
On 2014-02-14 10:51, mysticalsales wrote:
He did coin change when he did the pencil through coin.
[/quote]

Really, Guess, I'll have to go back to that area of the video. I was so confused by his explanation of why he didn't yet want to reveal his pencil through coin, that I may have missed coin change :) What the heck was he saying? Something about a special metal he was using, and it was way too complicated to try to explain at this point. I was like Whaaaaat?
[quote]
On 2014-02-14 19:33, 1KJ wrote:
I really loved this one! What really struck me was the value I got from Michael's people skills related to magic. I loved his thinking on starting with an audience by making deposits to the relationship bank and I really enjoyed some of his impromptu effects. I also really liked his evolution of the pencil through coin. I have been doing that same routine with almost the same handling (learned from Dave Williamson who I believe learned it from Michael Ammar). I had not seen this effect ever until now, and the preparation is a bit more than your typical pencil through coin.
KJ
[/quote]

How do you have it when he said he hasn't quite cracked the code yet. You are saying this effect is available right now?
I think over all the lecture was great. I grabbed onto the rubber band slights, and practiced them endlessly for days. I got the Crazy Mans Handcuffs to where I don't even have to think, just do it. That's when you know you are ready to perform something. I went into Home Depot, and while checking out did CMH to two young Hispanic girls that were at the register working. The one girl's reaction was precious. She said "something is weird with those rubber bands". So I handed her the rubber bands, and she stood there with them on her fingers, trying to figure out how to make the rubber bands pass through each other. I stood there , and watched her with a smile on my face thinking "Aint Magic Great"
[quote]I went into Home Depot, and while checking out did CMH to two young Hispanic girls that were at the register working.[/quote]
Why do you highlight your audience's ethnicity, TCB?

Maybe you should also specify the ethnicity of the handcuffs effect: Would you call them Crazy White Man's Handcuffs? Crazy Hispanic Man's Handcuffs? Etc?
[quote]
On 2014-02-16 00:58, duanebarry wrote:
[quote]I went into Home Depot, and while checking out did CMH to two young Hispanic girls that were at the register working.[/quote]

Maybe you should also specify the ethnicity of the handcuffs effect: Would you call them Crazy White Man's Handcuffs? Crazy Hispanic Man's Handcuffs? Etc?
[/quote]
He was just being descriptive, not offensive or racist. His post reads as a sincere attempt to accurately tell his story.

Your post on the other hand reads as nit picky and annoying.
As public performers, we will all benefit from recognizing when we display casual racism, since it will alienate some portion of our audiences.

Recognizing it is necessary if we would like to avoid it.
[/quote]
He was just being descriptive, not offensive or racist. His post reads as a sincere attempt to accurately tell his story.

Your post on the other hand reads as nit picky and annoying.
[/quote]

I totally agree with ingognito. I was in no way making a racist statement. I was just discribing the scene in the most discriptive way possible . People have a tendency to do that in the telling of a story. We feel it gives the listener a better total picture of the situation. Like someone might say, there was this elderly lady on the bus, and she dropped her packages, or there was this big white biker dude with a beard guarding the door. I think Duanebarry's post was a little caustic, judgemental. and not well thought out. However I will take it under advisment that some people are offended at the mention of a person's ethnicity.
Acar

If you read this thread I PM you.
Thanks!!
[quote]
On 2014-02-14 10:51, mysticalsales wrote:
He did the coin change when he did the pencil through coin.
[/quote]

Ah Ok Mystic, I see what you meant now. His switch to bring the gi*****ed coin in and out. Pretty simple and easy.
[quote]

[/quote]

Hey duanebarry, since he described them as "girls" why didn't you call him out for being sexist? Should the handcuff effect be called Crazy Person's Handcuffs? Omg, he also referred to them as "young." Isn't that ageist?

There is a major difference between being descriptive and being derogatory/discriminatory. The mere mention of race, age, sex, etc should not be a negative trigger point.
If this was supposed to be in a 'talk show' style format then let the guest talk! I found Joshua Jay to be dismissive/mildly abrasive and disrespectful as a host with his frequent interruptions. For god's sake we've all tuned in to hear the guest so let him speak. If he wants to tell stories from his career etc. then let him and have the decency to show him the respect he deserves.

This will be the last 'At The Table' I'll be watching...even if it is only a buck.
[quote]
On 2014-02-19 11:00, inhumaninferno wrote:
[quote]

[/quote]

Hey duanebarry, since he described them as "girls" why didn't you call him out for being sexist? Should the handcuff effect be called Crazy Person's Handcuffs? Omg, he also referred to them as "young." Isn't that ageist?

There is a major difference between being descriptive and being derogatory/discriminatory. The mere mention of race, age, sex, etc should not be a negative trigger point.

[/quote]
Many white folks, when describing an interaction with non-whites, generally have a strong tendency to highlight that non-whiteness.

For some strange reason, that non-whiteness seems very important to them -- it's so important that they make sure to mention it.

And then they deny it's important.

Why?
[quote]
On 2014-02-20 00:38, duanebarry wrote:
[quote]
[quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]
Many white folks, when describing an interaction with non-whites, generally have a strong tendency to highlight that non-whiteness.

For some strange reason, that non-whiteness seems very important to them -- it's so important that they make sure to mention it.

Why?
[/quote]

Without knowing his intent, I think it is unfair to say that it is casual racism. I took it as just being descriptive, the same as if someone would say tall or short, white or black, fat or skinny, etc.

From reading your last reply, I wonder if you would have still made that comment if you didn't know that TCB was white?
[quote]
On 2014-02-20 01:54, Robert P. wrote:
[quote]
On 2014-02-20 00:38, duanebarry wrote:
[quote]
[quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Why?
[/quote]

Without knowing his intent, I think it is unfair to say that it is casual racism. I took it as just being descriptive, the same as if someone would say tall or short, white or black, fat or skinny, etc.

From reading your last reply, I wonder if you would have still made that comment if you didn't know that TCB was white?
[/quote]

I didn't take it as being racist either.
But I do wonder if the girls had been Caucasian, if he would have felt it necessary to be equally descriptive and have said "2 young white girls". My guess is he wouldn't have, but who can say?
Although I do believe it is a part of human nature to be more aware of things about people which are different from ourselves, I also know that it is very possible to have some racist feelings without being aware of them or without intending to be. Not saying that is the case here.
But it just got me thinking and I realized that I don't ever recall describing anyone by their race unless it was different than my own.
I think that's probably a normal thing but I'm not so sure it is a good thing.
Now, back on topic.
I finally had a chance to watch the entire lecture. Overall, I enjoyed it.
Would have liked to have seen more questions involving stories from Michael's past rather than questions about what the future holds, etc.
I liked the Letterman breakdown a lot, thought that was a good idea. And I liked the concept of handing him a deck of cards and seeing what he would do at the spur of the moment and why.
I also would have liked to have seen more details included on the sleights included but I can understand that they wanted to keep it moving. Also would have liked to have seen the studio audience involved a bit more.
We'll just have to see what the future holds for these lectures and how they evolve. Also, a big key is always who they can book for them.
I hate that the have a two hour window, It feels rushed and they have to cram everything in.
Sometimes the longer lectures drraaaaggggg on. I like the concise format. He taught a lot in a little amount of time, and we got some insight into his approach to magic. It IS different than the Penguin lectures, and that is not a bad thing.
Pretty nice lecture. I am have a little rubber band routine now. Pressure trick was cool.
Just started getting into the download.

Wow. Michael is in a class of rare magicians. There isn't much he hasn't thought out. He's enjoyable to watch, listen to and learn from. It's funny, because with all the "new kids on the block" releasing magic, as well as younger generations, that experience isn't always there.

I don't hold it against them, they're younger. But, it's like looking at a counterfit bill. You don't study fake ones looking for flaws, you get to know the real thing in and out, front and back like no other person so you can spot a flaw any other time. Michael just comes off as the real deal. That's hard to fake. I'm jealous of his experience.

Guys like him are legends in my eyes because they've lived it day in and day out for so many years. They have a lot to offer. I need to go back and watch the VHS tapes in my basement of this guy. Really enjoyable.
For $1, this is the best magic gift I have ever received.

If I had paid full price, I would allow myself to add the following:

1) 2 hours was not long enough and it was mentioned that Michael had a lot of material he had prepared in his notes that he did not have the time to share. The performer should decide when he is done, when he is tired, not the host. Give the performer and the audience a 30 minute break and continue the lecture. Michael even said he was just getting warmed up. So was my interest.

2) I do not need to be reminded of what I have been shown, but I guess this being the first, there is some salesmanship going on.

3) I could have listed to 2 hours only on Vernon anecdotes.
Pierredan - If you haven't seen it already, you should check out the Daniel Garcia lecture which took place yesterday.

[url=http://www.mjmmagic.com/store/at-the-table-live-lecture-danny-garcia-352014-video-download-p-17897.html]At The Table: Daniel Garcia - Download[/url]

In my opinion, it was better than Michael's. Don't get me wrong, I loved Michael's lecture.....but he seemed to do a lot more talking and covering of past things (like the Letterman performance).

With Danny's, it seemed like we got a lot more EFFECTS that he taught and covered.....some of which were outstanding!

It should be online to view and download sometime within the next 24 hours, according to MJM Magic.
Sweet deals. I gotta check the Daniel Garcia lecture out, thanks.