(Close Window)
Topic: New from Alakazam
Hi Guys

Many years ago I started Alakazam Magic with nothing more than a small case full of Rob Bromley products. I have always been impressed with Robs creations and unparalleled craftsmanship. So I'm proud to say Alakazam Magic have secured the rights to Robs incredible effects.

The first release in this range is Simplex Monte.

http://youtu.be/gMpjRnYqUfs

Simplex Monte is due for release on the 17th of January
Best Regards

Peter
Looks like an awesome version of Monte! Really nice.

If Bromley made it you know it must be perfection.
I agree, this looks FAAAANTASTIC in every way!

...Sans the flashing video edits.
When I had a shop I used to sell some of his products and they were exceptionally made.
Got to say ,yes that Monte doe's look the biz .
Oh Dear God... when will it STOP!! I don't care if Paul Harris, Michael Ammar and Eugene Burger somehow brought Houdini, Vernon and Marlo back to life, locked themselves into a hotel room for a year and released their collaboration to Penguin's 'cool box' for 35 cents. If the teaser trailer for said effect looked like this, I wouldn't buy it. In fact, I will never buy another trick with such a obnoxious, ridiculously over-produced trailer. It's almost offensive at this point.

Is this product...

A) A well thought out, multi-phase routine that utilizes a spiffy new kind of card gimmick? If so, show us the whole routine. Heck- if you want to include some light jazz or classical music in the background, knock yourself out.

B) A neat card gimmick that looks really cool, but needs to be 'reset' with somewhat awkward, unnatural fiddling before being used again? If so, show us the gimmick in action, but throw in shaky camera effects, generic techno noise and multiple headache inducing edits, one after the other to make it look a lot better than it is.

Sad thing is that this item could very well fall into category 'A', but we'll never know- because someone's high-school aged nephew was given Adobe After Effects for Christmas.

Ugh.
Hi Calvin

You actually see me set the gimmick during the trailer. There is no prior set up. It's instant reset.
The DVD comes with a few routines and handling tips.
The gimmick allows the queen to be seen and then vanish at your command. The trailer shows that perfectly.

Best Regards

Peter
I like it very much
Why not show the whole routine? Its clearly a cool gimmicked card that we would need to buy anyway.
Stand Up Monte by Garrett Thomas is my go to 3 Card Monte, it kills and... You can see the whole routine online.
Simplex Monte looks interesting, love to see more of the routine.
I too, found the trailer irritable with the flashes - not a style issue, just kind of hard on my eyes.

Anyway...

I find the effect interesting because at times it reminded me of a method that I don't care for, but there were other times when I thought it may be something different.
Visually, it looks great - I'm just concerned about the orientation in the demo...

traditional monte has the three cards horizontal, rather than vertically held like in the vid...
Congratulations to Peter for bringing out the first pre-order of 2014 !

In this day and age why can't a dealer just bring out and effect on the day it's ready to ship

All this pre order and poorly edited demo's are getting on my nerves
Hi Iain,

As a magician things like that stand out to us like a sore thumb but I doubt a spectator would ever notice. Most have never heard of 3 card Monte, let alone seen anyone perform it.

Regards

Peter
This looks like the JB magic (Blink gimmick) being used for a monte effect.
[quote]
On 2014-01-06 16:58, Peter Nardi wrote:
Hi Iain,

As a magician things like that stand out to us like a sore thumb but I doubt a spectator would ever notice. Most have never heard of 3 card Monte, let alone seen anyone perform it.

Regards

Peter
[/quote]

I'll have to be cheeky here sir, and disagree with you on that one...especially in london...you can walk 20 minutes easy and find 3 card and 3 disc montes being played all along london bridge and covent garden in various formats...

does have great visuals though...
I have to agree with Iain. I didn't like the vertical orientation of the cards, either.

Although all of the transformations were (obviously) quite visual, it was only the segment at about 1:00 into the trailer that I felt the orientation of the cards made sense.

I know some might say it doesn't matter, but I suspect most spectators would never hold cards in that manner and would find it unusual.
As you can probably tell from my accent I'm no stranger to London and I can honestly say I've never seen the 3 card monte performed in the streets. I'm not saying it doesn't happen (because I suspect it does) but I've never seen it in my 45 year on this earth and I expect many people haven't.

But that's by the by. If the effect doesn't sit right with you, it wouldn't be right for me to try and talk you In to it. As a performer we need to be comfortable with the effects we perform and thus must choose wisely.

Regards

Peter
I've seen the 3 card monte a lot in London particularly Leicester Square and Covent garden and Picadilly circus. Currently the 3 shell game is doing the rounds too particularly around the London Eye. I would agree that anyone that spends a lot of time or works in the West End will have seen the 3 card monte and the 3 shell game.

Mark
Bought this years ago from Andrew Normansell who also does a jumbo plastic coated version . Great visuals can't be examined and yes unusual display sequences . I still like it a lot though .
Looks very visual. Does it come with any kind of wallet to ring in and switch out the gimmick? Given the visual nature of the changes, examinability is going to be a key factor. For example, I recently bought Shaun Robinson's Money Card. It comes with a sweet little timber wallet made from newspaper print tyvek type paper. Fits the theme of the monte and handles the switch nicely.
There is a version on the DVD that leaves you clean at the end.

As for 3 card monte in London. I will have to go and watch some real grifters at work. That said, I will stick to my guns. I doubt they get a huge audience and I suspect even then it's mainly tourists to the capital.

Best Regards

Peter
How he was holding the cards is different from the norm, but honestly, that was the last thing that would be on my mind as to performing it. Personally, I can't imagine folks being suspicious just because the cards are oriented differently.

YMMV.
Mr. Nardi, I apologize for the tone of my last post. In retrospect it seems needlessly aggressive.

Fact is, I'm a big fan of Alakazam and own several of your products(currently saving my pennies to buy the new version of your Extractor gimmick!).

I just prefer the stripped down style trailers you've done in the past (the Grail comes to mind). You are an excellent performer, and in the end, a good old-fashioned minimally edited demo is what usually piques my interest.

Good luck with this- I hope it does well for you!
I've lived in London most of my life, and have [b]never, ever, bloody ever[/b] seen any Monte routine done by [b]anyone.

Ever.[/b]

Covent Garden? Piccadilly? Leicester Square? Really?

Christ.

I do remember Paul Gordon releasing a Monte effect referring to Piccadilly. Not bad, as it goes. Just not based in reality.

I'm amazed that Nardi is being given the hot coals over this; he releases decent stuff, and he is honest. Bloody hell.
When will this be available in the USA
David,
Thank you. I have so many, not good, but great products from Peter. Many of them are some of my very favorite effects. Amongst thousands of effects, several of his items are in my top 20 and one in particular is in my top 3.
KJ
He does great stuff, and he runs his company very well. If they say they'll deliver, they bloody well deliver.
Peter,
Just watched a programme on Channel4 called Secrets of Pickpockets, Shoplifters, Scammers, and it deals with the problems Mark_Chandaue mentions.

Barry
It appears they play with discs in London.

Westminster Bridge;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3Y2Ybi_iNk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vlx6tT0zII

Here's a better view of disc monte but it is in Romanian I believe;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAkiiAH8Dos

Who shall be the first to release a disc monte effect?
When I used to visit New York City back in the 80's you would see the 3 card monte performed on the street corners. These guys were good too.
There are a few versions of the Disc Monte already on the Market. My good friend Leo Smetsers has a great routine using them.
I have always had a good experience with tricks from Alakazam and Peter. Thanks for putting out a nice product. Some of my favs have been Directors Cut and VDECK.
Thanks for the kind words guys. We always do our best to bring out the finest products possible. I understand not all our releases will appeal to everyone but at least you will know you're getting a top notch product, that does exactly what is says on the tin.

I don't cut corners (unless it's for a trick that requires a corner short)

Peter
I don't cut corners (unless it's for a trick that requires a corner short)

Peter

Like it Peter,lol,you have PM,all the best. Shane
I bought this from Kaymar, years and years ago.
It really is a neat little trick. I'll definitely be purchasing this latest release
[quote]
On 2014-01-06 21:59, David Cheetham wrote:
I've lived in London most of my life, and have [b]never, ever, bloody ever[/b] seen any Monte routine done by [b]anyone.

Ever.[/b]

Christ.

I do remember Paul Gordon releasing a Monte effect referring to Piccadilly. Not bad, as it goes. Just not based in reality.

I'm amazed that Nardi is being given the hot coals over this; he releases decent stuff, and he is honest. Bloody hell.
[/quote]

just because you've not seen it, doesn't mean it doesn't happen...i've spent most of my life so far in london, seen it quite often, from cds, discs, cards, even the shell game... I wasn't dragging anyone over hot coals, or even cold coals, in fact I've never seen any coal in all me life so I haven't guvnor! so it must not exist eh!

I said it looked great, very visual..just happened to mention the orientation...i don't really see that upsetting anyone...
Hi Iain,

I'm not upset at all, there's no issue here.

The point I was trying to make is that spectators don't have the knowledge we do with regards to the Monte effect. If a spec ever questioned me I'd just say this is the traditional way it was performed. But I honestly doubt, unless they were a magician, that wouldn't happen.

Sincerely

Peter
I've had this for 10-12 years. Great little trick. Really clever - as with all Rob Bromley gimmicks.
Will be purchasing this new version as mine is now very grubby after performing on too many bar tables!
Got this about 7 or 8 years ago from Wayne Dobson at the Blackpool convention.

I knew how it worked as soon as I saw it, but liked the simplicity, the fact that it didn't drag on forever and the visual nature of the gimmick.

What Peter has added to it is a DVD with multiple routines, which to be honest was needed. When I bought it I can't even remember if you got a page of instructions. All I did was do it and make the Monte card appear either in my pocket, in the card box or on someones seat.
Nice, easy visual routine which CAN BE WORKED WITH ATENSION TO GETTING THE GIMMICK OUT OF PLAY.

To be honest though this aint a problem if you have been doing magic a litle while as all attension will be on the card s "apparent " new location.
Nice release from Peter & the ALAKAZAM team.

Mike Donoghue
I will be getting this as well. I love different ways of doing the Monte effect.
Hi Guys

Just to let you know, the free shipping offer ends Friday

Regards

Peter
The vanish is lovely. Very visual.

One question though: Can you show the three cards individually, so two jokers and a queen, then place the queen in between the jokers and make her vanish? The only time we see the full queen in the trailer is after the vanish. Before that the queen is always sandwiched between the two jokers from the very beginning so we only see about a quarter of the card at best.
I love monte routines, for some reasons its fun to mess around with friends heads with this
[quote]
On 2014-01-09 01:08, Roslyn wrote:
The vanish is lovely. Very visual.

One question though: Can you show the three cards individually, so two jokers and a queen, then place the queen in between the jokers and make her vanish? The only time we see the full queen in the trailer is after the vanish. Before that the queen is always sandwiched between the two jokers from the very beginning so we only see about a quarter of the card at best.
[/quote]

The answer is no to the above as far as I can remember . Have to dig mine out but pretty sure that is the case .
[quote]
On 2014-01-07 09:38, EZrhythm wrote:
It appears they play with discs in London.

Westminster Bridge;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3Y2Ybi_iNk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vlx6tT0zII

Here's a better view of disc monte but it is in Romanian I believe;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAkiiAH8Dos

Who shall be the first to release a disc monte effect?

[/quote]

I think Peter's getting this out for this years Blackpool convention

I heard it will be on Pre order next week. !
FABULOUS, Thank You for that!
I too have had this for a number of years, I have two sets as I wanted a spare for when the first one wore out but it is still going strong ! What was missing from the original version was a proper routine, it looks like you have nailed it Peter, my order is in just to watch the dvd !
Last weekend, I saw some Eastern Europeans (a guy and his stooge) playing a monte game on the Southbank in London, with some tatty playing cards.
I didn't hang around to watch closely as they looked pretty dodgy! Lol.
Got this yesterday the DVD was packed full of great routines and I like David loosely style it's fun and so easy going. The gimmicks are well made I'd expect no less from rob Bromley I loved the visuals on this it looks amazing. I'm not sure if will make my working set but I'm pleased with my buy as always alakzam are a quality service I can't wait to practice some more 9/10

Kieron
Ordered today. Looking forward to getting it.
Got this a week ago now.

Interesting concept but the gimmick is beutifully crafted, but what else would you expect from Rob Bromley!
The DVD offers some great routines and handlings. I am not sure yet how to fit this into my routines but even still it is a great bit of magic.

Also, as always, the service from Alakazam was amazing. Thanks guys!
I have got to say this effect is really good I have a lot of Alakazam products and none of them have failed me yet

Thanks!
I received mine last week and have been playing around with some routines. It is a very nice gimmick. I just add it to my regular deck and am ready to go. The quality is very good and will last for some time. I wouldn't mind buying a few refills though to switch between but if not I will not feel bad about just buying the set again. There are a lot of really great Monte routines out there and I have a lot of them but I think this is going to be my carry around set. It really is very fun to practice so I think performing wil be even more fun.
Message: Posted by: disgruntledpuffin (Jan 31, 2014 02:20PM)
Walk down Oxford Street near the Selfridges end any night in the summer when we get all the tourists from Kuwait and you will see three card monte and the shell game being operated every 100 feet.
I've been interested in Three Card Monte for many years. Dai Vernon's routine with the bent corner ending, Mike Skinner's Ultimate Monte, Harry Anderson's Last Monte, Gaeton Bloom's version, and others.

This is a worthy addition. The gaff is beautifully made! Best I've ever seen.

Robert
I am sure the gaff is very well made. The problem I see is the way the cards are held. Cards are spread in a fan. The way this one works is not a normal way cards are held. I just does not look right. Again I am sure the gaff is great but it is not normal to spread and hold cards in this fashion. If you collect monte routines this may be one to collect.
[quote]
On , IAIN wrote:
[quote]
On 2014-01-06 21:59, David Cheetham wrote:

Ever.[/b]

Christ.

[/quote]

just because you've not seen it, doesn't mean it doesn't happen...i've spent most of my life so far in london, seen it quite often, from cds, discs, cards, even the shell game... I wasn't dragging anyone over hot coals, or even cold coals, in fact I've never seen any coal in all me life so I haven't guvnor! so it must not exist eh!

I said it looked great, very visual..just happened to mention the orientation...i don't really see that upsetting anyone...
[/quote]

Hahahahaha. Three card monte? In London? Really? I've lived here for over twenty years. Never seen it. Or any variation on it either. Maybe I don't spend enough time in tourist traps? But I think not. London is under CCTV. You don't even find illegal buskers these days, or at least not in town.

People doing this as a magic trick? Yeah. You see them.

People doing this as a con? Nope.

B*ll*cks. Total and utter b*ll*cks.

There are Yardies down the road who cheat at a bizarre game involving dice, in the street. That's the closest I've seen.
I purchased Simplex Monte when it first came out and I have been having a blast since. It is extremely easy to do. You can add as many phases as you want to and because it is so fun to perform you actually want to extend the phases. I am glad that I made this purchase.
I follow my customers wishes:

Replacement gaffs for that! Any combinations! And what I have heard .... better than the original gaff :nana:

https://plus.google.com/+CardMakerBerndMauckschGermany/posts/dHrPYkQPqxE
Old thread ,but a new trick for me,love it and it has the Rob Bromley stamp written all over it,the man is a legend when it comes to making cards.Now I like it and you can do various routines,would love it more if you could by it, say in a pack with a few different outcomes ,shall we say,at a decent price as you could not make this up yourself,well I could not.
One of my earliest purchases, but easily one of the best. Easy to use with great reactions