(Close Window)
Topic: Card toon
Does anyone use card toon? I'm wondering what sort of reactions it gets in a walk around environment?
A local restaurant magician did card-toon for my girlfriend and I. My girlfriend who has seen a lot of magic from me loved it, that says a lot.

It's good stuff!
[quote]
On 2014-01-11 02:38, Harry Patter wrote:
Does anyone use card toon? I'm wondering what sort of reactions it gets in a walk around environment?
[/quote]

I recently found my old deck from when I was 12 years old. haven't had a chance to do it for anyone yet... but I put it in my magic case.

my guess is that it's not the most mind blowing effect... but it's an enjoyable effect none the less.
Fun
Easy to do
Great reaction.
I do cartoon 2 though.
I only do one card effect in my set when I do tables, and it is Card-toon. You can't go wrong with it.
Yep. It's charming and people love it. But it's not too hard for a very logical person to figure it out. I would do it as part of set to keep things moving. I'm always ready to follow it with something like the invisible deck. Once in a while when someone indicates they know how it is done I let them know that that was just a fun trick and now we're going to do the real stuff.

Don't get me wrong. I'm NOT saying most or even a lot of people figure it out. But they do occasionally. No one ever figures out the invisible deck.
[quote]
On 2014-01-14 00:22, MeetMagicMike wrote:
Yep. It's charming and people love it. But it's not too hard for a very logical person to figure it out. I would do it as part of set to keep things moving. I'm always ready to follow it with something like the invisible deck. Once in a while when someone indicates they know how it is done I let them know that that was just a fun trick and now we're going to do the real stuff.

Don't get me wrong. I'm NOT saying most or even a lot of people figure it out. But they do occasionally. No one ever figures out the invisible deck.
[/quote]

Really? I have never got this reaction from cardtoon. Do you begin the trick by showing the top three cards & that his arm moves each time? It always gets good reactions for me.
I use Cardtoon all the time in my table hopping. It gets great reactions from the entire family. They will OFTEN say can you do it again with a different card? I tell them to come back next week and I'll be happy to.:)
There is an easy way of resetting it and the impact is really strong if you do it a second time and the card is different.
The funniest thing is when they say HEEEEY! THOSE ARE SPECIAL CARDS!! and you just reply with "OF COURSE! Have you ever SEEN cards like this??"
I do both versions, it's great. Dan Harlan had a free how-to video that shows how to do it, not sure how to find the video. He also had a template you could buy to make your own
Card-Toon always gets a great reaction (even from people who don't like card tricks) regardless of age!
I'm not just saying that because I invented it. And I don't make a dime off it anymore... sold the rights years ago.
Oh, and lately I've been closing some of my STAGE shows with it... ever since I saw Jamie Allan do it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9y9DQo3NXo
--Harlan
That was great!
I can see myself doing Fart-Toon that way. ;)
We sold hundreds of them at Magic Inc back when they came out.

I like the idea because it is quite obviously a special deck. No worry about getting it in and out. It is the only trick with one use that I think is worth the trouble.
I've cracked open Cardtoon recently having owned it for some years yet only played with it at home once or twice, put it in the drawer and forgot about it. Not sure why I put it away without really using it but I have now used it at paying gigs a few times recently and I am happy to report that it really is superb. A marvellous, pure fun routine. (Very interested to see the stage version incidentaly). Wonderful to read Dan's post on this, and to see Danny Doyle, who sets very high standards, say it is worth the trouble is an endorsement indeed. I would have no hesitation in recommending this trick to anyone who is thinking about bringing it into their set.
Juan Tamariz has a go. In Spanish but you will be able to follow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79KPoAUeYU8
It's soooo good, my first deck had a blow out and I bought a second deck (Cardtoon 1.) I consider it one of my top routines. It's great for walk around, you only have to find a place to put the chosen card in view, the rest is in your hands.
The only real problem is sight lines, and I don't mean a "problem" but more issue.
They are out of stock for this particular trick at Penguin Magic. Anybody have suggestions as to where I can purchase this trick from a reputable dealer?
Midwest Magic in Franklin Park Illinois. VERY reputable and I bet Tim has one. A FANTASTIC magic shop.
I have and use all three versions! They are great!!
[quote]On Apr 18, 2014, Dannydoyle wrote:
Midwest Magic in Franklin Park Illinois. VERY reputable and I bet Tim has one. A FANTASTIC magic shop. [/quote]

Thank you Danny, much appreciated! How have you been?
Cardtoon has everything you want in a strolling card trick.
-Easy to do.
-The person names a card (not a pick a card trick).
-Easy to understand.
-Visual.
-Strong.
-Instant Reset.
I use it in my professional repertoire since I get
It !
[quote]On Apr 13, 2014, DanHarlan wrote:
Card-Toon always gets a great reaction (even from people who don't like card tricks) regardless of age!
I'm not just saying that because I invented it. And I don't make a dime off it anymore... sold the rights years ago.
Oh, and lately I've been closing some of my STAGE shows with it... ever since I saw Jamie Allan do it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9y9DQo3NXo
--Harlan [/quote]

That was pretty good! Have no idea how the guy did it! I can't see how people can figure that trick out!
That is a very smooth handling of it.
[quote]On Apr 19, 2014, Dannydoyle wrote:
That is a very smooth handling of it. [/quote]

Is it pretty tough to master the handling to where it's this smooth?
GM, the handling in the routine is super smooth. You will be performing it the day you get it.
[quote]On Apr 19, 2014, w_s_anderson wrote:
GM, the handling in the routine is super smooth. You will be performing it the day you get it. [/quote]

I really liked the performer's showmanship and the way he presented the trick to such a large audience. His stage presence and performance was impressive.
It is not that difficult. But by the same token it is easy to make it look like you are doing something. The temptation is to just run out and do it. Avoid that.
[quote]On Apr 19, 2014, Dannydoyle wrote:
It is not that difficult. But by the same token it is easy to make it look like you are doing something. The temptation is to just run out and do it. Avoid that. [/quote]

That was a good recommendation on the Magic Shop. It seems this particular shop has a lot to offer with an excellent selection.
Tim Felix owns it and is just a great person. That shop is A+ in my estimation, and so is Tim. Can't go wrong with buying there.
[quote]On Apr 20, 2014, Dannydoyle wrote:
Tim Felix owns it and is just a great person. That shop is A+ in my estimation, and so is Tim. Can't go wrong with buying there. [/quote]

I plan to start giving him some of my business. Thanks once again for your recommendation.
It's a great effect and does get great reactions from the audience, If you perform a lit and your cards wear out quick like mine just get a new deck and cut everything out with knife, You will have a nice stencil to use on the other cards
Or you could buy another one instead of ripping off the creator. Not cool man.
[quote]On Apr 26, 2014, Dannydoyle wrote:
Or you could buy another one instead of ripping off the creator. Not cool man. [/quote]

Is it ripping off the creator if you've already purchased it once? I shudder to think how much that would run if we were talking about replacing thread in a reel or something...

Just recently, I replaced the cards in Standup Monte with DFs I had "in stock." Was I wrong to do so?
Yea when you stencil the cards it is ripping off the creator. If you don't see the difference in that and a reel nothing I can say will make a difference.
Which one should I use? #1 or #2?
If you had all three versions you could pull a different one out as go from table to table or group to group in strolling. Or pull a different one out if you see someone who wants to see you perform the trick again.
[quote]On Apr 28, 2014, Countage wrote:
If you had all three versions you could pull a different one out as go from table to table or group to group in strolling. Or pull a different one out if you see someone who wants to see you perform the trick again. [/quote]

that's a lot of decks to carry around in a strolling situation for one trick"
It also amounts to running when nobody is chasing you. That trick specifically you don't have to worry about people seeing it from afar.
[quote]On Apr 27, 2014, Dannydoyle wrote:
Yea when you stencil the cards it is ripping off the creator. If you don't see the difference in that and a reel nothing I can say will make a difference. [/quote]

So it's the stencil part that crosses the line? Someone making their own artwork for a replacement deck would be OK?

I don't think I'm alone in making new props after I've once purchased something. It's a common enough question here on the Café. People often ask about replacing/repairing or remaking a prop. And let's face it, every prop has a lifespan and will need to be swapped out at some point. Heck, there's no shortage of things that aren't even manufactured anymore. We even have a section on this forum for DIY. It's almost a tradtion in magic, and I admit to getting no small measure of satisfaction using something I've put together myself.

Pardon me if this sounds like argument for argument's sake, but I really do value your opinion on this - you have cred I lack and actually hire magicians. So your take on this matters to me.
Where is the line for you then? Arguement for arguement sake? Hardly.

At what point do you consider it theft?

LOTS of crap in the magic community, and specifically here on the Café' that are considered "tradition" are really pretty shady.
When I purchase an effect, I think I am purchasing the right to replace it when it wears out or customize it - either of which might mean I make my own from materials I purchase myself. (This would be for my own use.) I mentioned Stand-up Monte as an example. My cards were looking shoddy and I made a new set from a DF deck I already had. I fully agree there are intellectual property rights, but those I've already bought.

Honestly, I'm willing to rethink it. It just hadn't occurred to me that making a replacement for a purchased item was unethical.
How would you feel about it if you created it? I bet a bit differently.

I am not saying anyone has to change any way they think. I am not saying anyone is wrong. But if you ever wonder why products cost so much....maybe we have reached some cause and effect on some level.
[quote]On Apr 30, 2014, Dannydoyle wrote:
How would you feel about it if you created it? I bet a bit differently.

I am not saying anyone has to change any way they think. I am not saying anyone is wrong. But if you ever wonder why products cost so much....maybe we have reached some cause and effect on some level. [/quote]

Ha! I bought cardtoon from the place you recommended! Can't wait to practice, master and perform it! I hope this will be an awesome trick that people will love!
Just received my first ever Card-Toon deck! Noticed the card stock is pretty terrible. Isn't it supposed to be printed by USPCC now? Thought I'd read a post from Dan that suggested they'd switched from CartaMundi years ago. Mine is Cartamundi and also lacking in instructions (are they normally printed or video?). Have I been sold a dodgy copy?
Where did you purchase it and for how much?
[quote]On Jan 27, 2021, Dannydoyle wrote:
Where did you purchase it and for how much? [/quote]

Amazon. £11.99
I had the original release and the later release on Bicycle. They were both good card stock.
[quote]On Jan 27, 2021, dirtyfoucault wrote:

Amazon. £11.99 [/quote]

Yea but from whom on Amazon? It might very well be a knock off despite being from Amazon.
[quote]On Jan 27, 2021, dirtyfoucault wrote:

Amazon. £11.99 [/quote]

Yea but from whom on Amazon? It might very well be a knock off despite being from Amazon. [/quote]

Dude that's cool magic. Relatively reputable
"dude that's cool magic. Relatively reputable"

Could you translate?
[quote]On Jan 28, 2021, MeetMagicMike wrote:
"dude that's cool magic. Relatively reputable"

Could you translate? [/quote]

http://www.dudethatscoolmagic.co.uk/

What would you like me to translate?
The words "relatively reputable".

Either you are or you are not reputable.
[quote]On Jan 28, 2021, Dannydoyle wrote:
The words "relatively reputable".

Either you are or you are not reputable. [/quote]

Everything's relative
Also I do not think he knew the name of the place was "Dudethatscoolmagic". It came across as more of a sentence to those of us who do not know that.

And no everything is not relative.
Also I do not think he knew the name of the place was "Dudethatscoolmagic". It came across as more of a sentence to those of us who do not know that.

And no everything is not relative. [/quote].

Ok. Thanks for your help.

And no everything is not relative. [/quote]

I really think that depends...
[quote]On Jan 29, 2021, Kaliix wrote:

And no everything is not relative. [/quote]

I really think that depends... [/quote]

Absolutely. I'm relatively certain of it.