(Close Window)
Topic: Imagination Coins by Garrett Thomas: William Draven's Layout
If this isn't obvious enough, I went for using Draven's layout as best as I could.

Title: Imagination Coins
Artist: Garrett Thomas
Producers: Kozmo Magic (Murphy's)
Link: http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/3946
Retail Price: $40.00
Learning Difficulty: Intermediate
Length of DVD: Roughly 2 Hours

Includes:
• Instructional DVD
• Gimmick
* Coin Purse

DVD Features:
* Intro
* 2 Phase Performance
* 4 Phase Performance
* Imagination Coins Explanation
* Performance 2
* Audience Management
* OTS explanation
-Trailer
* Coins Across Performance
* Coins Across Explanation
* Zero Coins Across
* Jump Performance
* Jump Explanation
* Bloopers & Credits

When I saw that Garrett Thomas was coming out with a new release I sat up on the edge of my seat and took a look at my finances. I just recenlty dug out my Stand-Up Monte and gave it the practice it deserves and gave it a few performances, it won me over and now I could be what they call a "stalker', this guy has worker material that hits them between the eyes. His stuff isn't the easiest but it's worth the time and effort to gather all the subtleties. The intro starts off with Garrett stating which form of gimmick he uses in certain situations. Justifying why he uses quarters in friendly situations and why he uses something bigger in half dollars in a situation not unlike a paid gig, and it has nothing to do with hiding the method.

Well now that I can stop acting like a Garrett Thomas fanboy, I can get on to the meat of this review, the trick itself. I don't think the secret to this effect is unknown but for safety sake I will call the secret something, "the gimmick". This comes with a nice tiny purse, it feels of rubbery material which seems to only fit the gimmick and dollars worth of quarters. Half dollars will not fit in the coin purse. The 2-Phase routine is shown in live performance at a table, even the 2 phase is hard hitting, but I dig the practice and will go with the "4-phaser". The added phases are a coins across in the magicians own hands, not unlike David Roth's Super Clean Coins Across. The last move from both phases are going to take work to make look natural, and G.T.'s live performances of both are going to give you the timing of the move. He gives alternatives where you don't even have to do the move, but it makes for an impossible conclusion.

There are a few behind the bar performances, one kid has a "EATCT" t-shirt so it's not fully laymen, but a mixture, I assume, more laymen than magicians.

I really enjoyed watching the "Audience Management" portion, he gives sound reasoning for actions and how to manage his audience for this effect. And if you didn't find the important timing of the last move of the phases in the explanation, it's found in the "Audience Management" portion, this one really helped me out on the move."OTS" is the Over the shoulder portion which gives great insight on all the required moves, I believe he did this in the Stand-Up Monte DVD, this is great, thorough as can be, great for following along and practice. He gives an quick performance and explanation to Eric Jones, small G.T. touches here worth learning but not much different than a normal C.A. routine, great to have on this DVD though, the handling is a touch different than other handlings I've seen. "Zero Coins Across" is a great conversation to watch between Eric Jones and Garrett Thomas, they share their theory on the impact of coins across and natural blocking techniques, Eric Jones showcases the way he does coins across, I believe this is on his "Extension of Me" and boy is it great! The "Jump" ending is one to practice when you have a table and they are bugging to ask you to "do it again". Quarters sandwhiched inbetweeen 2 pennies, that are used for a distraction, are place on the table, the quarters vanish from in between the pennies with a wave of the hand and appear under your other hand on the table or in the other hand, depending on what variation you want to use. The bloopers are the guys messing around probably in between shoots, just fun to watch.

I feel that this is a worker routine and one to really practice, even if it's just the 2-phase routine it's sooo darn worth it.

Overall Quality.

Product Quality: 10
Packaging is small and neat, great artwork, perfectly made gimmick, ready to go and practice, you even get a darn coin purse. You get a TON for your money.

Teaching Quality: 10
Garrett Thomas is thorough, there is an OTS view, different variations/handlings for specific steps in the routine, You even get theory along the way I couldn't ask for more.

Video & Sound Quality: 10
I have no complaints, great quality, sound is clear.

Overall Quality: 10
The effect is wonderful, definitley caters to the audience in terms of impact, I love this routine. I can see this working in strolling, cocktai, environments. This is something I would have paid top dollar for.
Agree with blindside great quality dvd lots of input by garret no knucklebusting moves, average to intermediate coin worker will have no problem. The routine ( 2 phase ) or ( 4 phase ) practice the moves listen to Garret's theory and logic. And you will have a solid real world worker.

Well recommended. I think You will enjoy this.

Graham.
Is this available for EURO currency? I strongly hope so!!
[quote]
On 2014-01-23 00:22, Memory-Jah wrote:
Is this available for EURO currency? I strongly hope so!!
[/quote]Sure is, http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S17308
Thank you
Message: Posted by: Magical Dimensions (Jan 23, 2014 07:39AM)
I really don't see anything new here. Reminds me of Larry Jennings ideas.

Best
Ray
I recieved mine from Penguin magic,10/10 for the gimmick and the dvd production.
I wish it came with all the required coins as I really like the size of quarters as aposed to the Half dollars that I use for other tricks,because I have a gimmick in half dollar size I was able to learn the effect correctly but it's a trip to a coin dealer if I am to use the gimmick that it comes with.
The first performance was a test on my stepdaughter,she just said "your'e scaring me".
I love this,glad I lashed out and bought it.
Oh yeah ,I forgot to mention ,four half dollars and the gimmick do fit in the purse that is supplied,a snug fit but the coins will come out as a group easy enough.
[quote]
On 2014-01-24 00:56, Jon Blakeney wrote:
I recieved mine from Penguin magic,10/10 for the gimmick and the dvd production.
I wish it came with all the required coins as I really like the size of quarters as aposed to the Half dollars that I use for other tricks,because I have a gimmick in half dollar size I was able to learn the effect correctly but it's a trip to a coin dealer if I am to use the gimmick that it comes with.
The first performance was a test on my stepdaughter,she just said "your'e scaring me".
I love this,glad I lashed out and bought it.
[/quote]I'm glad you are loving this as much as I am.
What is the difficulty level of this?
[quote]
On 2014-01-25 19:14, JoshLondonMagic wrote:
[/quote]

Not very difficult at all, average to intermediate, no knuckle busting sleights. Just listen and watch garret you will enjoy the DVD and will be performing the effect in no time at all, and plenty of practice " more so on presentation " I'm sure you will be fine.

Graham
[quote]
On 2014-01-25 19:14, JoshLondonMagic wrote:
[/quote]
Out of 5, I would give it a 2.5.

The gimmick does a lot of the work for you, you have to be okay with audience management. The DVD covers that for you and if you break it down there are a few pointers he gives you that really helps you out and helps you condition your audience to do what they need to do. You do have to be aware of the orientation of the gimmick. One basic coin sleight, or if you want to go for a different variation, no coin sleight at the end at all.
Hi,

I am going to order Imagination Coins.
Wondering if it can be applied using Canadian coins and if so, can someone private me the gimmicked coin required?

Thanks,

Eric
Eric, no need for private message. It's a [
OK great,I have one.

Thanks for the help.

Eric
Do we received 4 coins with gimmick so anyone in any country can use?
[quote]
On 2014-01-27 20:14, Ch. Ahsan wrote:
Do we received 4 coins with gimmick so anyone in any country can use?
[/quote]

From what I've read, you get a gimmick, but have to supply the coins.
You supply your own coins. Comes with "a" gimmick. :D

-Alex
This one sounds very good to me!I loved the effect...

Falconer
This is a great effect, I have performed numerous times so far and gets killer reactions, buy it!!!
Nice review. And thank you for the credit! Glad you liked the layout.
So far 3 different threads for this effect, this must be darn good!
So this comes in half dollar AND quarters?
Quarters
Thanks for all the info here, I'm going to order that one right now, thanks to this review and the discussion here! :-)
So you do get a [? I have half dollars but wasnt sure if that mattered.
[quote]
On Feb 28, 2014, paisa23 wrote:
So you do get a [? I have half dollars but wasnt sure if that mattered.
[/quote]you get a quarter [. It works just as well with half dollars if you have a set.
I don't understand why this was put out as a separate release when it's already on Inside the Mind of Garrett Thomas along with five other effects.

All you need in addition is a ]

Maybe people didn't know.
[quote]
On Mar 30, 2014, Jamie Ferguson wrote:
I don't understand why this was put out as a separate release when it's already on Inside the Mind of Garrett Thomas along with five other effects.

[/quote]
$
[quote]
On Mar 31, 2014, magicandsoul wrote:
[quote]
On Mar 30, 2014, Jamie Ferguson wrote:

[/quote]
$
[/quote]
Lol, classic! :bigsmile:
Looks like this is now available in the UK and Euro versions...
Penguin has them, as I am sure others do as well.

And yes, it is $$$ driven to release this as a seperate effect/DVD. You see this all the time. They need to keep earning a living.
I don't mind it at all. I wonder if it is improved on, or the exact same DVD? I am guessing it is new and improved... :)
So.....this is a new version of coins across with a [, that's it?
[quote]On Apr 16, 2014, pepka wrote:
So.....this is a new version of coins across with a [, that's it? [/quote]

More of a one coin across. Put out years ago. Great routine with a few additions
[quote]On Jan 23, 2014, Magical Dimensions wrote:
I really don't see anything new here. Reminds me of Larry Jennings ideas.

Best
Ray [/quote]

Ray, is right. I also don't see anything new here.

Emmettt :spinningcoin:
Also to be found on "World's Greatest Magic - Expanded Shells"... last effect. And lord, is the explanation in depth. Zzzzzzzzzzzz....
[quote]On Apr 23, 2014, Ekuth wrote:
Also to be found on "World's Greatest Magic - Expanded Shells"... last effect. And lord, is the explanation in depth. Zzzzzzzzzzzz.... [/quote]

And less than $16 from Penguin. Free shipping!
A lot of you out there or in here need to remember that a lot of people do not have the experience that many of you have or are starting out and need much of the material/information that is included on this DVD. Yes it is very, very in depth, however as stated that is most likely for those that ACTUALLY need this information. If you do not need this you can certainly pass those portions of the DVD by and be on your way with the rest of the lesson. And it may have been on another DVD however if you do not have that DVD then it does one little good. Also it seems these days that people loooove to buy DVD's with ONLY one trick on them instead of many tricks. I don't understand the allure. But these young people have dug them a pit that they will never be able to get out of now that the internet stores know they can sell one trick DVD's and get away with it. Yes, the WGM DVD on Expanded shells is a great value, however it does not cover all the information that "Imagination Coins" covers and as I stated this is most likely needed by the new magicians by the quality of performance I have been witness to. I really like this effect. It is a very magical effect without being over burdened by sleights and it plays to the whimsy of magic like few other effects in coin magic do. I feel it is a nice interlude to more involved coin routines and is within the reach of most coin workers beginners especially...given they learn audience management skills. :coolspot: :spinningcoin:
This will seem ridiculous to some of you but the casing they ship the gimmick in...I can't open it w/o damaging the gimmick. I've taken a knife to it, tried pulling apart and shaking...nothing works. They should've stuck to a plastic sleeve. That being said, watched the dvd and looking forward to (hopefully) getting this gimmick out frick
I have done this routine many times and the helper has not messed me up as yet.

Have not tried it was Half's but that will work.

I like this and Garrett Thomas taught it well.

But like some of the above comment about Audience Management is correct.
Imagination Coins is a fun little routine and a nice lead in to a Coins Across. Garrett is an excellent teacher and thinker.

Imagination Coins comes with a quarter gimmick. I do think they should have included four regular quarters in the package for the price and as a convenience to the customer. Particularly customers from other countries where acquiring four US quarters isn't a simple thing.

People have asked if you can do this effect with half dollars. You *could* but I personally wouldn't. The spectator handles the gimmick and a perceptive spectator might notice something off about the weight. The weight differential with a quarter is minimal. It's magnified with a half dollar.
When I ordered from Penguin a few years back I did ask for some extra quarters, not being American, and they included them for free, hows that for customer service
[quote]On Feb 26, 2019, Neznarf wrote:
I have done this routine many times and the helper has not messed me up as yet.

Have not tried it was Half's but that will work.

I like this and Garrett Thomas taught it well.

But like some of the above comment about Audience Management is correct. [/quote]

Agree, I use this a lot and it gets fantastic reactions and the spectator has never noticed anything! I was definitely nervous the first few times I performed this regarding the spectator noticing something but it never happened! Such a great routine!
Message: Posted by: The Mysterious One (Jul 1, 2019 04:55PM)
Love this as well. I also worked and worked on this in practice for a long time due to seeing the potential of this effect. I have used it in about three walk-around gigs that e I have booked recently since it takes up no pocket space. People are in absolute shock, and I also was nervous that they would notice something in the last phase. Nope, never have anyone noticed in all of the times I tested this out on friends, family, and charity gigs before adding it to the repertoire of effects for paid performances. Garrett Thomas is a worker.

The only thing I have been shy about now is using Kennedy half dollars. For those in the know that own this, you know why (cannot say anymore due to read of exposure). I know Garrett used Kennedy halfs for a live performance on the Imagination Coins DVD to great acclaim.
I have used Kennedy half dollars and still no one has noticed a thing! A beautiful effect!!!
Message: Posted by: The Mysterious One (Jul 14, 2019 11:48PM)
[quote]On Jul 8, 2019, RNK wrote:
I have used Kennedy half dollars and still no one has noticed a thing! A beautiful effect!!! [/quote]

Wow. Just like the live performance on the Imagination Coins DVD. The one time I performed this with Kennedy halfs, it was for a magician that claimed to be an expert with coins. He chastised the effect and said it wouldn't impress anyone. I took a lot of things he said with a grain of salt but continued to have reservations with doing this effect with Kennedy halfs. He hated the effect overall and didn't see how incredible this effect can be for laypeople. I simply continued to get amazing reactions from this using US quarters until I lost the gimmick along with some other beloved effects. I will try performing this with Kennedy halfs again.
Yes, try it out! Layman won't have a clue. At least they not yet in my experiences, lol!
Message: Posted by: The Mysterious One (Aug 12, 2019 05:02PM)
Sounds great RNK. I will. You and Garrett talked me into it. ;)

Are you still performing IC (with US quarters of course) in conjunction with Quarter Pounder? How are the reactions with your routine using melding these two effects together in a seamless performance.

I have been playing around and performing a coin bend for people after performing the last phase of IC. I find it is as a perfect follow up since they have handled all 4 coins. Plus, from a scripting perspective, it just flows nicely from talking about imagination to what you can do with the human mind.
Yes, still using IC with QP. I usually do QP first because IC seems to always get stronger reactions. I do agree, the coin bend is a very nice addition to end on. What are you using for your coin bend? Ox Bender?
Message: Posted by: The Mysterious One (Aug 13, 2019 10:31AM)
I never picked up an Ox Bender. I know a lot of people here loved it (Jared here has taken it to the next level in terms of performing a real miracle). Like saysold1 has said throughout the years (and not just because he is friends with John T Sheets), QB3 is the best, bar none. I strongly agree. I picked one up about 2 years ago, and it is has retired my Coinvexed 3 (which is an incredible product in itself). QB3 is so much easier from a pocket management perspective, and I use it to also do key bends using some techniques I picked up from that fertile minds of Andrew Gerard and John T Sheets. I still love Coinvexed 3, the type of bend it makes, and the routining taught. I don't think I will ever sell it. Both QB3 and Coinvexed are extemely strong and are excellent. I recently performed for a know-it-all at work, who then attempted to google. She blurted out a method after my performance the next day in my office (annoying but that is her annoying personality...she "knows" everything about everything but really does not); she then admitted later on that she had no earthly clue (which made me grin like a Cheshire Cat in Wonderland).
Ah, good story... I never used QB3, have heard great things about it. Though, for price point purposes, I stick with the Ox. It works and has never been spotted during performance so I just decided to stay with it. Though, I do miss bending keys. I used Jon's FLEXION for a long time until I lost my cap. was so bummed! So I see how the QB3 would be useful to accomplish both keys and coins.
Message: Posted by: The Mysterious One (Aug 13, 2019 06:06PM)
Thanks RNK. I love QB3 and Coinvexed because the gimmick is in plan sight. If you are ever in the market to buy Flexion, let me know. I have a like new one that I bought here on the Café that is just sitting in my magic drawer. I never used it due to getting a QB3 on sale a few months afterwards. Flexion seems great, but with owning a QB3 and Energy Bender, I have every key known to man covered.

The Quarter Pounder is on my learn list. I love Paul Wilson's and Steve Duscheck's gimmick. I see huge potential with QP. Hopefully, I receive those RNK audience reactions (a room full of Johns from the old L&L videos).
[quote]On Aug 13, 2019, The Mysterious One wrote:
Thanks RNK. I love QB3 and Coinvexed because the gimmick is in plan sight. If you are ever in the market to buy Flexion, let me know. I have a like new one that I bought here on the Café that is just sitting in my magic drawer. I never used it due to getting a QB3 on sale a few months afterwards. Flexion seems great, but with owning a QB3 and Energy Bender, I have every key known to man covered.

The Quarter Pounder is on my learn list. I love Paul Wilson's and Steve Duscheck's gimmick. I see huge potential with QP. Hopefully, I receive those RNK audience reactions (a room full of Johns from the old L&L videos). [/quote]

QP is so easy to perform! You will love it. I may decide to pick up Flexion again, I will et you know if I do. Thanks!