(Close Window)
Topic: For the Styx fans
I know there are some here from past posts. Saw them last night...fantastic show. Tommy Shaw hit 60 late last year, but you'd never know it. Lawrence McGowan might as well be Dennis DeYoung, and James Young and the rhythm section were awesome. Great venue, sound mix, set list...couldn't have been much better.
Were they playing their 70s-80s hits, or do they have new material for the show?

BTW, I think Lawrence Gowan is a much better musician than Dennis DeYoung, but I can't think of any Styx hits with him singing. Hmm.

Here is a [url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIjddye2JSA]Gowan classic[/url] from 1985. I have no idea if it got any airplay outside of Canada, but it was HUGE here.

Sounds like a cool show, Lobo.
They were playing the 70s & 80s stuff, with Gowan singing the Dennis DeYoung songs. Their set list, as I remember it, in no particular order:

Blue Collar Man
The Grand Illusion
Crystal Ball
Light Up
I'm O.K.
Man in the Wilderness
Fooling Yourself
Too Much Time on My Hands
Lady
Miss America
Encores: Rockin' The Paradise & Renegade

Might have forgotten one or two. There was also an interlude in the middle when Gowan played parts of various classic rock songs and led an audience singalong, including stuff from Queen, Elton John, Clapton, and maybe a half dozen more.
[quote]
On 2014-01-26 21:47, LobowolfXXX wrote:
They were playing the 70s & 80s stuff, with Gowan singing the Dennis DeYoung songs. Their set list, as I remember it, in no particular order:

Blue Collar Man
The Grand Illusion
Crystal Ball
Light Up
I'm O.K.
Man in the Wilderness
Fooling Yourself
Too Much Time on My Hands
Lady
Miss America
Encores: Rockin' The Paradise & Renegade

Might have forgotten one or two. There was also an interlude in the middle when Gowan played parts of various classic rock songs and led an audience singalong, including stuff from Queen, Elton John, Clapton, and maybe a half dozen more.
[/quote]

I would have swapped out I'm O.K., Light Up, and Lady (if necessary) to get Suite Madam Blue, Snowblind, and something else from Pieces of Eight or Paradise Theater (Queen of Spades, Pieces of Eight, Nothing Ever Goes as Planned, Lonely People...) in there. Other than that, it was about a perfect show.
Sounds like it was a great show. I'd love to see the Tommy Shaw version of STYX. A few years back I saw the Dennis DeYoung version and it was a really great show.
Bob.
You've inspired me to dig out some of my old vinyl ...
No Loreli?
Last time I saw them was in the 90s when they did a reunion and played Paradise Theater.

I sat next to Shaw on a plane once. Really great person to talk with for a few hours.

I never know if they are back together or not!
No Loreli?
Alas, no.
Message: Posted by: Daryl -the other brother (Jan 27, 2014 11:47AM)
Styx (Laurence Gowan on keyboards) performing "I am the walrus" with The Contemporary Youth Orchestra. With the full orchestra this had to sound incredible live.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTvsSnRKw2E