(Close Window)
Topic: Nakamura-Carlsen
Top American chess player Hikaru Nakamura was beating the holy crap out of world champion Magnus Carlsen, but blundered about 8 minutes before the time control to let Carlsen off the hook. Game is still going, but Nakamura definitely lost his advantage and if anything, may be losing now, despite having an extra knight. Great game...there's a live feed with commentary on chess.com, but I don't know if you have to be a member to see it.
[quote]
On 2014-02-01 12:48, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Top American chess player Hikaru Nakamura was beating the holy crap out of world champion Magnus Carlsen, but blundered about 8 minutes before the time control to let Carlsen off the hook. Game is still going, but Nakamura definitely lost his advantage and if anything, may be losing now, despite having an extra knight. Great game...there's a live feed with commentary on chess.com, but I don't know if you have to be a member to see it.
[/quote]

I was about to post. As one of the commentators noted, "chess is a cruel game".

Yesterday Anand had a comfortable position against Nakamura and the tables turned on one move. Looks like Caissa is intent on messing with young Hikaru.
[img]http://d2f561xrufuuyd.cloudfront.net/images/chess/themes/pieces/chess24/48/highlight/null.png[/img]
Carlsen wasn't only dead - the first couple of shovels' worth of dirt had landed on the casket.
Carlsen in the post-game interview said that if there isn't a direct win, then just play the game one move at a time. Sounds so easy when he says it.
As my most frequent tournament/match opponent once said, "Nobody ever won by resigning."
[quote]
On 2014-02-01 15:53, LobowolfXXX wrote:
As my most frequent tournament/match opponent once said, "Nobody ever won by resigning."
[/quote]

As a class-player, I frequently noted that my opponents (and sometime I too) resigned way too early. You should expect weakies like me to spoil "won" positions.
[quote]
On 2014-02-01 16:00, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:
[quote]
On 2014-02-01 15:53, LobowolfXXX wrote:
[/quote]

As a class-player, I frequently noted that my opponents (and sometime I too) resigned way too early. You should expect weakies like me to spoil "won" positions.
[/quote]

I know I do it all the time. As Nakamura showed us today (and better players than he have showed us historically), it happens to the best of 'em. Chess games aren't won; they're lost.