(Close Window)
Topic: Nakamura-Carlsen
Message: Posted by: LobowolfXXX (Feb 1, 2014 11:48AM)
Top American chess player Hikaru Nakamura was beating the holy crap out of world champion Magnus Carlsen, but blundered about 8 minutes before the time control to let Carlsen off the hook. Game is still going, but Nakamura definitely lost his advantage and if anything, may be losing now, despite having an extra knight. Great game...there's a live feed with commentary on chess.com, but I don't know if you have to be a member to see it.
Message: Posted by: Magnus Eisengrim (Feb 1, 2014 01:06PM)
[quote]
On 2014-02-01 12:48, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Top American chess player Hikaru Nakamura was beating the holy crap out of world champion Magnus Carlsen, but blundered about 8 minutes before the time control to let Carlsen off the hook. Game is still going, but Nakamura definitely lost his advantage and if anything, may be losing now, despite having an extra knight. Great game...there's a live feed with commentary on chess.com, but I don't know if you have to be a member to see it.
[/quote]

I was about to post. As one of the commentators noted, "chess is a cruel game".

Yesterday Anand had a comfortable position against Nakamura and the tables turned on one move. Looks like Caissa is intent on messing with young Hikaru.
Message: Posted by: Magnus Eisengrim (Feb 1, 2014 01:52PM)
[img]http://d2f561xrufuuyd.cloudfront.net/images/chess/themes/pieces/chess24/48/highlight/null.png[/img]
Message: Posted by: LobowolfXXX (Feb 1, 2014 02:05PM)
Carlsen wasn't only dead - the first couple of shovels' worth of dirt had landed on the casket.
Message: Posted by: Magnus Eisengrim (Feb 1, 2014 02:23PM)
Carlsen in the post-game interview said that if there isn't a direct win, then just play the game one move at a time. Sounds so easy when he says it.
Message: Posted by: LobowolfXXX (Feb 1, 2014 02:53PM)
As my most frequent tournament/match opponent once said, "Nobody ever won by resigning."
Message: Posted by: Magnus Eisengrim (Feb 1, 2014 03:00PM)
[quote]
On 2014-02-01 15:53, LobowolfXXX wrote:
As my most frequent tournament/match opponent once said, "Nobody ever won by resigning."
[/quote]

As a class-player, I frequently noted that my opponents (and sometime I too) resigned way too early. You should expect weakies like me to spoil "won" positions.
Message: Posted by: LobowolfXXX (Feb 1, 2014 03:04PM)
[quote]
On 2014-02-01 16:00, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:
[quote]
On 2014-02-01 15:53, LobowolfXXX wrote:
As my most frequent tournament/match opponent once said, "Nobody ever won by resigning."
[/quote]

As a class-player, I frequently noted that my opponents (and sometime I too) resigned way too early. You should expect weakies like me to spoil "won" positions.
[/quote]

I know I do it all the time. As Nakamura showed us today (and better players than he have showed us historically), it happens to the best of 'em. Chess games aren't won; they're lost.