(Close Window)
Topic: Are you worried about having your bag stolen?
I have this fear of having my magic bag stolen.

I once received an email from a magician offering a substantial reward for his traveling bag that was stolen while he was at a gig.
I felt bad for him and have taken precautions to minimize the chance of that happening to me.

I used to keep my magic in a laptop bag with loads of pockets.
I then thought, well, this is an excellent target for a thief, thinking he's getting a free laptop.

I bought a used nondescript bag at a thrift shop.
It suits me better than the laptop bag. More pockets and compartments. Better organization enables me to locate tricks quicker.
And it doesn't look like there may be anything valuable in it.

Is anyone else concerned with losing their bag or case besides myself?
Yes, I hear you it is a concern!

It seems that nondescript is always the best direction. Thieves have an eye for value. When traveling I often wondered if carrying my equipment in a diaper bag would be the best solution ;o)

I actually use a rather plain leather bag but it never leaves my hand nor goes out of my sight, 35 years and no problems so far.
When I was working, I had a complete duplicate of my show, (one case) packed and ready. If I had somehow lost the props, I could call "home" and have the #2 show sent. I might miss a day, but not the whole tour.

Roadies, wnen grabbing a quick lunch (McD's, Wendy's etc) always sit by a window so they can see their vehicle. After eating in a restaurant (with 'NO' WINDOWS), in Salt Lake City,Utah, I emerged to hear the alarm on my motorhome sounding. I SAW two men running and climbing over a fence. They had not entered the vehicle. The alarm had "paid for" its installation cost.

Of course, with a bit of skill, knowledge and experience, a guy could visit a WalMart of KMart and/or a thrift shop, and find enough stuff to do a creditable show.

I never had "MAGICIAN" painted on my vehicle!!! Jeff WAWRZASZEK DID, for his first school tour. I bet him a milkshake that he would have it 'OFF' within a week! (I enjoyed the milkshake!)
I'm right there with you on this one, in fact I have a posting in another area looking for an item I used regularly that "disappeared" at a show. Quarterstick isn't available anymore so if I can find any replacements I have to drop the routine...
I also had the displeasure of having several illusions after a show come up missing knobs (I assume someone wanted a souvenir).
I remember a thread less than a couple years ago where that very thing happened. His bag was stolen from a coatroom and I believe it was a laptop type bag. When I table hopped years ago I used a large Joe Leflar close-up case that folded out to a rolling podium so I always had my stuff with me not to mention my own performing surface. The table was costly but convenient and less costly than replacing all my stuff.
[quote]
On 2014-02-03 07:32, Dick Oslund wrote:
I never had "MAGICIAN" painted on my vehicle!!! Jeff WAWRZASZEK DID, for his first school tour. I bet him a milkshake that he would have it 'OFF' within a week! (I enjoyed the milkshake!)
[/quote]

I remember that story Dick and also why Jeff removed it.

Any guesses guys?
I remember that story Dick and also why Jeff removed it.

Any guesses guys?
[/quote]
Here's my guess. He was in an auto accident and the other guy said " He came out of nowhere !" ;0)
WRONG!!!!!!!

(Now you'll have to come back tomorrow to find out--unless someone else knows! (Quentin?)

First prize: 30 foot piece of bl*ck thr**d used only once by Harry Bouton Jr. for the D*nc*ng H*ndk*rch**f.

Second prize: 2 doz. sheets of fl*sh p*p*r, used only once.

Third prize: 1 broken wand and 2 broken fan.
I'm saying nothing Dick, it's your story.
BTW, how is Jeff these days?
I too have the same fear. that's the reason during walk arounds I set everything I need in my pockets, put my briefcase safely in my vehicle & start the gig. In case it is a corporate gig were I could need to perform a parlour show in the middle of walk around I simply carry my briefcase with me :) Best Regards, Raj.
Because people would bug him to "do a trick"?
Dick hasn't been back, so I hope he is OK.

Brody has the right answer. Wherever Jeff parked, kids would keep coming up and asking to see tricks. If you are in a car that isn't really a problem but if you are living and travelling in a motor home, it is.
I've been off line for a week!!!I had a computer WIFI problem. It'a fixed! (Now,I'm back!)

Yup! If I remember correctly, I told him, but I guess it didn't register. It was CHOCOLATE!

Hey Quentin! How in the world did you find out??? Hee hee~
Glad you're back Dick. Either you told me the story when I met you in 1980 or your wrote it up somewhere. Kid Stuff 5 possibly?
Message: Posted by: Nate The Magician (Feb 16, 2014 01:31AM)
I always remember this one news article I saw where the headline read "Briefcase with magic equipment, 2 semi automatic handguns and ammunition stolen from Chicago home"

I always keep hold of my magic case- it's a battered leather suitcase with an extremely worn out close up pad duct taped to the top so most people wouldn't go for it but... Just in case.
No pun intended.
Mine is a leather bag that I tooled and built for the purpose of carrying my magic around. It is 1' in diameter and 3' long with nine dragons that are tooled, painted and gilded. Someone would have a hard enough time trying to carry it out (fully loaded it can weigh as much as 80 lbs.). The look of the bag tends to make it get noticed, so anyone other than me carrying it tends to attract attention as well. I have entered it into several artistic competitions, so my work is like a large signature, all over the bag.

Be distinct and your magical apparatus is better protected.
Well Malaki! I would not care to schlepp THAT prop case!

When I was working, my prop case (45-60 minutes) weighed (including waiters' tray stand) 23 lbs.
After reading some of the horror stories of stuff being stolen, I'm simultaneously relieved and disappointed that no one seems to want any of my junk.
Of course that extreme weight is achieved when I am packed for a weekend, holding clothing, shoes, etc. the bag holds close to an hour of magic. Packed for a simple show, the bag weighs in at about 25-35 lbs.

Don't get me wrong, I keep a close eye on the bag. There are just a couple of hundred hours worth of work invested in it. I also have built a framework of walnut - that keeps the bag rigid, and a sliding tray for smaller items.

Attached is a shot of the bag when closed. Hopefully you will be able to see it well enough, it is just under size requirements for the site.
Sorry the image is so small. If you PM me I will be happy to send a larger sized to you.
There are many small things now that will alarm you on cell phone or just loud that you can attache to your bag. If it's moved or picked up it make noise and send you alert. Check Amazon for them.
Hide a tracking chip in the lining of your bag. They're rather cheap, now, and the police can locate the thieves, and the bag.
Alan,
You're right on.
Those tracking chips are quite cheap now.
That's a good solution.
[quote]On Nov 19, 2017, Alan Munro wrote:
Hide a tracking chip in the lining of your bag. They're rather cheap, now, and the police can locate the thieves, and the bag. [/quote]

Great to get your bag back after it's stolen but what I said will let you stop your bag from being stolen in the first place.
[quote]On Nov 1, 2017, Senor Fabuloso wrote:
There are many small things now that will alarm you on cell phone or just loud that you can attache to your bag. If it's moved or picked up it make noise and send you alert. Check Amazon for them. [/quote]
I used an alarm system on my luggage about 30 years ago when I did wedding videos. Sometimes thieves would take your case when you are standing right next to it.
I ended up hardly using it because every time I put the case down I had to activate the motion sensor alarm. This was done with a combination code. So if I had to get my wallet or money or anything at all, I had to put in a combination code and put down the case and then again to deactivate it. If I'm working and have to get something out of my case in a hurry, I have to deactivate the alarm first, get what I need and then activate it again.
I checked Amazon as you suggested but I couldn't find anything that is practical.
Would you let me know which alarm you had in mind? I would appreciate it.
Thanks,
[quote]On Nov 1, 2017, Senor Fabuloso wrote:
There are many small things now that will alarm you on cell phone or just loud that you can attache to your bag. If it's moved or picked up it make noise and send you alert. Check Amazon for them. [/quote]

Amusingly enough, I have seriously thought of rigging the bag so that when it is opened, the interior light will come on along with an angelic WAV file of "Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!"

That app might just do the trick!
I accidentally dropped in on this thread, just now. After reading it from the beginning, I realized that I had never explained why I never had a problem. Like the old sidewalk pitchman, I had all the props in my case, and, I worked out of the case. I used a waiter's tray stand. I put the case on top, flashed the lid with a "sparkle cloth" cover, opened the lid, and, when I was introduced, I picked up a silk from the case, and started the show. When I finished the trick, the silk was replaced in it's place in the case, and, the next prop was brought out. A bit of planning was involved, but, it made performing much easier. When I finished, I put the flash cloth on top of the props, closed the lid, and hit the road! At the next spot, I opened the case in the motor home, stuffed a silk in a gimmick, set the 20th Century Silks, adjusted the spots on the "spot card", set the knot on Ovette's Repeat Knots, and, set the 1-2-1 rope. In less than two minutes, I could go into the school. When I was doing the doves, it took thirty seconds more, to load the doves. (They "gave" me 8 minutes of show time!

Most of the tricks needed sleight of hand, but, it was not a "watch how clever I am" show. Lots of comedy, and flash, kept the show moving. Because of the quick "in and out", I could easily do four shows a day, and, travel, possibly 60 -75 miles, too.

I was in $how bu$ine$$! (K Mart $how bu$ine$$)

I had the fun of mentoring Al Ullman, Jody Baran, Andy Portala, Jeff Bibik, Jeff Helding, Norm Barnhart, Jeff Wawrzaskek, and, even an old timer, Jerry Conklin. They all are/were successful, working professionals. I'm sure that I've left out a few names! Oh! Denny Loomis, too.

After Jon Racherbaumer kvetched me, I wrote a 400 page book about it.
In my "early days" on the road, before I bought my first RV, I used a station wagon (because I already had it!)

I NEVER left my prop case in the car, overnight! It ALWAYS was brought into the motel! Not only was it safe from "car burglary", I could, when necessary, clean out the case of "debris" like torn napkins, small scraps of rope, press a silk or two, etc.
[quote]On Nov 19, 2017, Alan Munro wrote:
Hide a tracking chip in the lining of your bag. They're rather cheap, now, and the police can locate the thieves, and the bag. [/quote]

I'll just leave this here in case anyone finds it useful.
https://www.amazon.com/Tile-Mate-Finder-Anything-Packaging/dp/B01L3VEC94