(Close Window)
Topic: What items do you lose most often?
I seem to be constantly losing my tricks, gimmicks and parts from them. Am I alone here?
(I think I lose the parts for Note Pad surprise the most)

What items do you constantly find yourself losing again and again?
Of all the things I've lost... I miss my mind the most.

Ray
Sponge balls.
I'm embarrassed to 'admit' this, but I lost a MUTILATED PARASOL. It was EARLY morning. I was loading the car,in the dark. I was doing my "final triumphant tour" in North Dakota, in 2003. The parasol carried separately in a black nylon case. I can only guess the "slippery" nylon case fell to the dark motel parking lot pavement, and I did not see it. $400+!!!
Accidently spending gaffed coins :arg:
[quote]
On 2014-02-20 06:56, Poof-Daddy wrote:
[/quote]
Not only me then :)
Shell game peas.
None,

I personally have never LOST or Left a Prop anywhere. But I have had 2-Effects Stolen in 28 years and this was within the last 2-years.

Rodney
Lots of experience here. Left a small picture used for a trick called Glass Gone at a family's home years ago. When I discovered it was missing, I called them to make arrangements to go pick it up. They had thrown it away. They thought I left it there on purpose and didn't want it. A stainless steel container lined with neoprene? Really?

Several years ago, I left a house after doing a childrens show and left my tailgate down. My Mak Suitcase table with most of my act, my wireless mic and my Exporer PA fell out of the back and I didn't notice until I was home. About 50 mi. away. Some honest guy found the PA system and called me after seeing a flier I had put up the next day with my number on it. Never got my table and equipment back. Cost me (my insurance) about $1200.00 to replace everything.

The hardest part was finding the stuff. Several things were not made anymore, but I was blessed and lucky. The MAK magic table was not made anymore, but a friend who runs a local magic shop just happened to have a used one in his shop. MAK's Hippity Hop Rabbits weren't being made anymore and I ran into a friend I hadn't seen in 15 yrs and he still had his set and was willing to trade them for a replacement for his Tarbell Vol 6. Lastly was a 36" Happy Birthday silk from P&A silks. With help from Joe Mogar, I was able to get in touch with Peter White who sent me one. This was only about 4 mos before Peter passed away. I don't think I could that lucky again.
[quote]
On , Poof-Daddy wrote:
[/quote]

I been known to do this also. :spinningcoin:
I have spent gaffed coins as well. Sponge balls and TT have all been washed or lost.
One of my students told me today that at the bank where he works, a business brought in a pile of change to be counted. There was a Sc*tch and S@da half in the mix that the bank discovered. So they called the business to try to come pick it up trying to return it to its rightful owner. What surprised me is how much the bank knows about gaffed coins. My student knew the effect by name and described the gaff for other students.
[quote]
On Feb 20, 2014, Poof-Daddy wrote:
[/quote]
This.
God Bless, I've not lost anything till date. I carry everything in particular(Specific) pockets. Most of my stuff gets back to its rightful place for those that cannot be put away I've a bag for ditching. I reset everything in the parking lot, I double check all my stuff before leaving the venue.
Best Wishes,
Raj.
I have left a pen thru dollar at multiple family members houses, and every time they throw it out because it was a "broken" pen. I couldn't find it forever until calling around to family members and they said, "Oh that was your broken pen?" Apart from that I tend to loose my coin purse by randomly setting it down. I carry it around and take it out to play with the coins all the time and end up forgetting either a coin or the whole purse somewhere. Had to make an hour drive for the purse one time, Red Lobster was very accommodating.
Gaffed coins and TTs are regular casualty's for me , TTs especially, lost count of how many I have bought over the years :spinningcoin:
Rubber bands. I have them always with me and I always leave them after me. Besides that I also lost my playing cards because as an high school student I often play card games with my friends and sometimes the deck just doesn't make it way back to me...

~Atte
TTs and sponge balls. Don't even know how many I've bought since I started the hobby.
A waiter grabbed my tray stand, thinking it belonged to the country club, when I was about to pack up, one day. Luckily, my sticker was still on it, to identify it. Now, I have large lettering on the top, so that hasn't happened again.

My props all have a place in the props case, so I don't lose them. If I carry props with me, it's in a special carry pouch, so it doesn't get mixed-up with other items. I haven't lost a prop in many years. However, a sanada gimmick shattered because I had a "Nun-None" in the same pocket and someone bumped into me. Now, I put the Nun in another pocket and I made a little humidor for the gimmicks.
I've only lost one thing so far. Fourtunatly it was a mini magic colouring book I bought for about 1.99. How I lost it is really frustrating though.

My cousin was at my house. She was about seven at the time. She saw it where I left it and seriously wouldn't let it go for some reason. She really beat the thing up. She was bending it and looking through it and asking what it was for (I hadn't even shown her the trick before). I probably should have been more careful with it but I never saw it after that.
I've been lucky enough so far not to loose anything. It seems like it's just a matter of time though!
I lost one or two gimmicked cards and a billiard ball, but that was it.
Sponge balls, sponge bunnies and thumb tips. The former because the buggers seem to have a habit of working their way from your pockets- especially if there's anything else in there, the latter through my own stupidity.

I've since learned that if I'm carrying sponge anything, NOTHING else goes in that pocket. Period.
Sponge balls. Other items tend to become misplaced around the house. My wife will move something, then a piece or part becomes separated from the other parts of the trick.
I have lost countless sponge items over the years, they just seem to vanish out of my pocket.
I have spent a few gimmick coins.
I had a case table with half my show stolen back in the eighties. Was picking up a uhaul trailer and had to set the props outside of the hatch back... Just forgot to put it back in. When I realized it half an hour later and returned, it was gone for good. Someone in Louisville picked up a great show. Took a while to replace it all.

The one gimmick I have lost three times is the one that keeps my break away wand straight. It always goes in the same pocket, but just disappears. I suppose that's real magic.
[quote]On Feb 19, 2014, Ray Bertrand wrote:
Of all the things I've lost... I miss my mind the most.

Ray [/quote]
Hahahahahahaha I lost mine too
It's one of those things you can't ever get back.
I can't say I miss it though :)
Gaffed coins by far and that can get very expensive. They get mixed in with regular change and you just have to hope it's not too big a pile you have to work through. If the gaff coins make it to the change jar, you are doomed. I regularly scan my pocket change with a good magnet now to make sure magnetic ones can't escape me. :)
I have lost (and later found) the same TUC three times now. Still looking for it this last time. :-(
Gaffed coins as well lol.. I always beat myself up about. Like "how stupid can I be"? ... Then do it again a few months later. I've often thought of how many trick coins are in circulation without anyone knowing.. You know it has to be a lot
TTs all day long. Ever seen a TT with feet? That would be mine, and he's late for dinner.
I seem pretty lucky then I only lose playing cards.
That's one thing I don't lose. In fact, if anything, I have TOO MANY decks!
I keep losing a vital part of Ignition. The part is supposed to be glued on, but it keeps falling off every now and then. I usually don't carry Ignition with me, but when I do, I always lose that part.
My marbles.
Sometimes I will lose a silk at a show.
Todd
Sometimes its as if my silver has wings...
Sharpies. I buy them in the boxes now.

:o)
Spending the gaffes coins by accident is always a fear of mine. I haven't done it yet.

However, I've purposefully had to spend a Hundy many times? :(
The instructions! I've started to scan any documentation I get now with new props.
[quote]On Mar 23, 2015, Calvin Tong wrote:
Sharpies. I buy them in the boxes now.

:o) [/quote]

This I do all the time so have also brought them by the box load. The other thing I lose all the time is decks of cards so have also had to buy them in the box loads.
Nail Writers a bunch of them.
As far as I know I haven't lost anything yet, but with all this talk of spending gaff coins I'm realizing I haven't seen my dime and penny in quite some time...

-Tom
One more for gaffed coins. Not sure if I spent or lost my flipper quarter :-(
I lose coins, cards and loops most often.
I lost and found about 3-4 times the Pointless gimmick until one day ... I finally lost it. :D
But I have a back-up. ;)
I lost a deck of cards because I left it on my end table after I got done practicing. One of my wonderful rescue dogs decided she wanted to practice too. She chewed through the whole deck. I couldn't even salvage half of the deck for duplicate cards and to make gaffs. Grrr.
I lose tons of sponge balls. My cats keep getting at them and swatting them under the couch.
I just lost a speaker stand. It's one of those tripod stands. Put it on the froung next to the car and forgot about it.

Once, we lost an amplifier even though 6 of us looked everywhere. When I called the venue and told them that it was missing the custodian said he found it behind the piano
The problem was that we all looked there at one time or another.... silly custodian.

But I ususally loose Canes, Table bases and Card swords. I lean them against a wall near a door and someone opens the door which completly hides them.
Holy Moly! Arghh I've lost many of those:(
I wish I could make my own refills.
Cards, since I only worked with cards so far. I guess rubber bands that I use to organize them as additional. Although as some of you mentioned buying sharpies etc. in boxes now. I did that with rubber bands and lost the box and I'm left with four or five bands I had laying around, but box of 100 or something seems to be nowhere.
I lost TT too. I see I'm not alone :-)
[quote]On Feb 20, 2014, Poof-Daddy wrote:
Accidently spending gaffed coins :arg: [/quote]

I almost do this once a month. Man oh man... you'd think I'd be more careful about keeping them in their coinpurse.
I recently lost my Ignition key. Not the small part but the actual key part. A month later I visited the same building and it was pinned to the bulletin board in the lobby
Bummer is, I'd just bought a replacement.😆 Oh well, can't get enough of a good trick.
We had a pretty good snowfall, and I was throwing snowballs at my niece in her front yard. Later I discovered I had thrown my Odyssey ring right off my finger into the snow .. somewhere. Lol. Over a month later when the snow finally melted, my sis in law found it.
Of course, I already ordered a second one 😆
TT's, NWs, gaffed coins. Did the last one twice and never again. One instance was for a can of coke. I realized my error right after. That soda was definitely overpriced.

Carter
My youthful idealism, my marbles, my patience.
Amazed how many spend gaffed coins. Given how much they cost, I'm obsessed with having dedicated coin purses for my coins and making sure they go back in flyer a performance or practice.
Cards,TT,RCA cords, plugs,adapters for sound systems etc are the main things lost on a constant basis at gigs.
Had an egg bag pinched at a bookstore gig...
Message: Posted by: thegreatscungilli (Apr 23, 2020 07:30PM)
TT's and a couple of Pk items...
Dime and Penny has disappeared on me at least 3 times. It's one of my favorite tricks for obvious reasons, but it apparently longs to run free and live among the wild pennies.
Honestly.....I think I've lost my mind a few too many times......besides that its got to be sponge balls.
Bruce
...I now buy sponge balls by the 50 pack...
"Knots" from my Knots-Off Silks.
For me itís definitely magnetic quarters for obvious reasons
Was performing in a nightclub once and dropped my hand made half dollar ring. Whoever found that got lucky. Probably a worker after the bar closed.

One time I was performing greed and half way into it some drunk lady snatched it and shoved it in her bra. Too bad for her it was made from prop money. Lol