(Close Window)
Topic: Card Sword--------How ????
I love the trick.....but......It's a pain to transport.
Doesn't fit in my Lg. Lefler Suitcase table when all my other stuff is in there.
It splits from the handle but it's still too long.
How do you transport yours ?
I use a large cardboard mailing tube. You can also use plastic tubes used to hold blueprints and large pages that are best rolled. Check out Office Depot. Just make sure to measure the hilt so it fits.

Abbott's card sword comes in a custom made wood box. You can make one yourself or have one made. It is not that hard to make such a box if you have a bench saw.
Fishing pole case.
[quote]
On , Bill Hegbli wrote:
I use a large cardboard mailing tube. You can also use plastic tubes used to hold blueprints and large pages that are best rolled. Check out Office Depot. Just make sure to measure the hilt so it fits.

Abbott's card sword comes in a custom made wood box. You can make one yourself or have one made. It is not that hard to make such a box if you have a bench saw.
[/quote]

Good ideas Bill. Thank you !
[quote]
On , MikeDes wrote:
Fishing pole case.
[/quote]
Another good idea. Thank you Mike!
It is not only transport. It looks silly to have a sword lying around. Any sheath is better than that. I once found a toys sword sheath that fitted my card sword. It needed some decoration work but now it looks like a standard decoration sword - yet not like a real blade made for fighting.
And such a sheath or scabbard should have a mounting for carrying the scabbard. The simplest one is a sash. Then you really can make a presentation of magical fencing skill. The sword is in the scabbard at you side - the cards are thrown into the air - you quickly draw the sword and hit the cards in the air. Drawing a sword fast and repositioning it back in the scabbard are skills that were essential in fencing centuries ago. This art is still teached in Iaido. That can be done with a card sword and it improves the trick. In my opinion it is not convincing to handle a sword improperly but to be able to hit playing cards with one stroke...
I use a PVC pipe that I inserted a long strip of black headliner material and covered he outside with black vinyl. Looks great and keeps the blade from getting bent.

Jamie
Loved the suggestions & opinions given by all, in particular Jamie & Abrell. Best Wishes, Raj.
A wood clamshell box is the best.
The Card Sword used in magic is a representative of a Fencing Foil and/or Sabre. Not all necessarily use or have a sheath. Thus it does not seem out of place to Swordsmen. I doubt that most magicians will be hired by the local Fencing Association, so why even consider it. The magic is the important thing to worry about. It takes some time to learn to present the Card Sword.

I suggest anyone considering performing this playing card discovery to obtain the only source available to my knowledge for the presentation of this feat of magic. Ted Lesley on his Cabaret Magic Vol. 2 DVD explains and presents a Card Sword Card discovery. Anyone interested in the Card Sword should study this information.
I've used Jay Leslie's briefcase size card sword for about 10 years now. He calls it the "portable, affordable card sword. It uses a different method of operation and only one card is impaled. While smaller than say a P&L sword it still looks like a sword. In all the time I've had and used this prop it has never failed and there is nothing to replace. It transports in my case with a tube around the blade for a bit of protection.

http://www.thehouseofenchantment.com/pages/MAIN/STAGE/Card%20swords/%20P&A/card%20sword%20p&a.html

On a side note I also have used an un-gimmicked fencing foil. It is used in a version the old U.F. Grant idea of stabbing through a paper bag. Grant used a knife. I took a chapter from Billy McComb and plunge a fencing foil through a paper bag and rip the impaled card right through the bag. I have a cheap fencing foil picked up at a pawn shop.
Right Harry! ONE card is magic! Three is ridiculous!
I remember Clarke "Senator" Crandall's card stab in a paper bag at his midnight "x-rated" show at the Castle. A cutlass, and no mechanism to break down. And the Senator's inimitable and incomprehensible patter. That irascible old codger was one of the kindest gentlemen I ever met in magic.
Yes! We could use a few more Senators like him in D.C.!!! When he used his sKimitar to find that card was absolutely hilarious..

The first time I visited the CASTLE in the early '70s, I said: "OPEN SENATOR CRANDALL"! The receptionist fell down laughing and pushed the button!

P.S. That there device wasn't no cutlass. It was a sKimitar!!!
You're absolutely right.:)
I usually use two cards. Three is too many plus with two I can use two people on stage and it looks more balanced. One person on each side and me in the middle.
A hard plastic Rifle case.Availble at sporting stores and Walmart They are lined with foam on both sides and can also accomodate a few decks of cards and gimmicks, plus tools to make more gimmicks.I have been using one for the past 20 years my card sword has been stored safely in it.
I use the venerable old MUTILATED PARASOL. My working prop case is 13" x 20" x 8". Da parasol, she no fit!

At a yard sale, I spotted a nylon "tubular" case, I had a shoulder strap, and was insulated. It was made to carry a six pack of a cold "beverage", presumably at a picnic (?)

I measured it with my eyes, and knew it could carry the parasol. Fifty cents later (!) I owned it. Yep!

Several posters have suggested either a "home made" improvised case, and several have suggested "store bought" cases. Any of them could, and probably DO work,

I love to shop thrift stores when I need something like the OP mentioned!