(Close Window)
Topic: Ireland Magic Company ??
Hi,

I'm a writer working on a novel that involves magic and magicians in Chicago set in 1947. I was wondering if anyone here remembers visiting the Ireland Magic Shop at 109 North Dearborn, Chicago, IL. It was on the fourth floor of that building.

Thanks for anything that will help.

Don

P.S. My last novel "Return of the Falcon" is at Amazon.
Hello Don,

You might want to consult two vintage books by Frances Ireland (Marshall) entitled: With Frances In Magicland and You Don't Have To Be Crazy.

Julie
There's a bit of history at:
http://www.magicinc.net/about-us.aspx
If you use any of their email, phone, or snail mail info at
http://www.magicinc.net/contact-us.aspx
I would guess that they will be able to help you.
The brief history at the "About Us" site says: "Begun as the Ireland Magic Company, founded by Laurie L. Ireland in 1926, Magic Inc., located in Chicago, was incorporated in 1963 by Jay Marshall and Frances Ireland Marshall."

----- Sonny
I was there many times, I bought my copy of Greater Magic there, for $12, I was taking art classes at the Institute and would skip boring classes to visit Ireland's.
I went to Amazon to check out your "Return of the Falcon" where I was going to buy a copy but was surprised to find it was a Kindle edition. I've never done Kindle books before but would love to read it. Maybe I'm just stuck in the 70's.
Yes! I remember the 109 shop very well, although I only visited it once, in the mid '50s.

When you got off the elevator, you were "in" the shop! A long counter stretched from the left wall to the right wall. There was room for possibly a dozen "customers" or potential customers! Shelving behind the counter displayed props like die boxes, dove pans, and "Otto the Automaton Duck!" The counter "held" gimmicks, card decks, and, "envelope magic".

Frances was behind the counter. Laurie was "at home", in Oak Park, making gimmicks!

The next time that I was in Chicago, Ireland's was Magic Inc. (on Lincoln Ave.)
I spent as much time there as possible between the ages of 12 and 18.
[quote]On Mar 3, 2014, Julie wrote:
Hello Don,

You might want to consult two vintage books by Frances Ireland (Marshall) entitled: With Frances In Magicland and You Don't Have To Be Crazy.

Julie [/quote]

And, also, "My First Fifty Years" by Frances Marshall

MAGIC INC. is still operating a "B&M" in Chicago at 1838 W. Lawrence Ave. Chicago IL 60640
Thanks for remembering My First 50 Years, Dick. We were present at that celebration in Chicago!

Now I'm going to have a look in the "archives" to see if that booklet is here. If so, it will make a FUN re-read and just might jog a memory or two. :)

Julie
Yer most welcome!

I had to miss Fran's 50th. I was on the road. School show itineraries are set a year in advance!
'Just located My First 50 Years! What a delight. I'd forgotten how warm and personal Frances' writing style is. It's like listening to a story shared by an old friend.

Highly recommended.

Julie