(Close Window)
Topic: Mid-Year Exams
How did you guys study for mid-year exams in High School? I'm having much anxiety with 2 weeks left and have no clue where to start. I'm having troubles and fears about processing that much information and trouble focusing on studies. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.:bikes:
Go over past exams if you can get hold of them. Do them under exam conditions (or at least do each question that way) then work out what it was that gave you difficulty. If you can get a few of the past years' exams, you'll find that most teachers have an alarming lack of originality and certain topics and treatments come up again and again.

That's how I did it at school and University (and more recently when I went back to do a law degree). The biggest benefit is psychological, it means that when you see the new paper, it's unlikely to contain things that you haven't seen. Good luck and remember, though they are important, there is a lot more to life than top school grades.

David.
Thanks David for the tips. But how would I go about studying for an exam like this? I have trouble focusing. Social Studies has a lot of information. Do I study it in blocks? If I do, how do I retain what I last studied? Any thoughts? :bikes:
High school midterms? Study? Never heard of such a thing.

I was blessed wtih great teachers in my History and Geography classes. I was so engaged I didn't really worry about studying. Your case sounds a little different.

My advice is to make a crib sheet. Seriously. Then throw it away right before the exam. There's something about the act of writing something down that tends to more easily lock the information into your mind. Just remember to not take the notes to the exam with you. That'd be bad. Good luck.

Mark
I agree, write notes, or answers. If it's hard to focus, do it in small bits (around half an hour) then have a break. During the breaks though, don't do anything you'll be thinking about afterwards, in other words, don't start practicing tricks. Get up and walk around the block, play with the dog or whatever for 10 minutes and get back to it. After a couple of hours have a proper break.

When it comes to the subject, break it up into the major topics, start easy and work hard - not necessarily the order in which you covered it in class. Read-write-read-write...

David.
Any more tips? Please???
I used to use a note taking system (Cornell?) that facilitated an easy method of studying. It is too late to start using it now, but you might be able to improvise.

Basically, the idea is to write a keyword or short phrase in the margin beside each paragraph or concept in your notes as soon as possible after your class (if you use the system, you leave a wider margin to make room for this). You could do this while studying now. When you are done, while studying you cover the notes and just look at the keywords, trying to recall the concept that goes with each one. If you really know it, you put a check beside it. If you don't, you put a dot. And if you realize you need more information, you put a question mark (and go find the info). Then you just keep studying your notes until it is all checks beside each keyword. At that point (in theory, anyway) you know all the material.

-Reg {*}