(Close Window)
Topic: Tokyo
Richard or anyone with experience in Tokyo-

I tend to visit Japan every few years. I was last there in 2012 and will be visiting Tokyo again next month.
Although I have been there fairly often I have never really sought out Tenyo or magic in general.

Of course I have seen Tenyo for sale at toy and department stores but I tend to shy away since I do not read Japanese and most if the time they do not have English translations. Do you have any recommendations for great Tenyo and magic spots in Tokyo worth visiting?

I think I may try harder to find some this time.

Thanks
You should definitely visit Ton Onosaka's shop Magic Land, though it's hard to find. It's on the Kayabacho stop on the Hibiya Line.

You should go to the Tenyo Magic Corner in Shibuya--I think that's where Billy works. He's very good. The Tenyo corners in Mitsukoshi and the Ginza only have a demonstrator on the weekend. Of course the premier place to go is Haneda Airport to see Tenyo's senior demonstrator, Mr. Shimizu, at the Hakuhinkan Toy shop there. He works five days a week, but I don't know which two days he takes off.
Thanks Richard I really appreciate it. I doubt that I can get to Haneda (we fly in and out if Narita) but the others for sure.
Haneda is an easy bus ride from the Tokyo City Air Terminal (TCAT). Less than an hour. Trust me: Mr. Shimizu is the best thing you'll see on your trip Tenyo wise.
Ok cool. I have been there before and the airport buses are very easy I agree.
I'm just tight on time this trip since we are also going to Hong Kong... I just have less time. But I will give it a shot on your recco.

Thanks again
Give me the day you think you can go and I will ask Mr. Shimizu if he will be there. He does not speak English, but will greet you warmly when you tell him that you are a Tenyo fan and I said you should visit him. Contact me at this email if you want to check the date: moobooks@verizon.net. Be prepared to buy a bunch of stuff: Tenyo is much less expensive in Japan!
Thanks Richard. Very kind of you.
I need to look into the dates as I am really not sure at the moment.
I have purchased Tenyo in Japan before but the lack if English is sometimes an issue.
Billy works at Tenyo Magic Corner in Shinjyuku not Shibuya.
Magic corner is on the 9th floor in Takashimaya department store.

Mr. Shimizu has the day off on Tuesday and Wednesday.
Thank you for correcting my mistake, jpmagic. I always get Shinjuku and Shibuya mixed up.
Thanks for sharing these useful info, I would also make sure to drop by these Tenyo places next time in Tokyo.
Awesome... thank you jpmagic... I should be able to make it there fore sure in just about a month from today!
Tokyu Hands continues to carry quite some modern day still-available Tenyo produtcts at very competitive price, along with other brands of magic equipment.
Yea Tokyu Hands is always a fun place to visit regardless of Tenyo.
Sorry for bumping up an old thread.

I will be going to Japan around mid July, and I want to visit Ton Onosaka's Magic Land.

From what I read here and another thread, it's seem quite difficult for foreigner to find the shop. May I ask direction on how to get there from the Kayabacho station?

As for Tokyu Hands, are there specific branch that sells Tenyo (or any magic prop) or we can find them in any Tokyu Hands store?

1 last question, does magic store in Japan sell English magic book?

Thank you

-Ario
Magic Land does sell English language magic books. I don't know what other magic shops are in Japan. The best way to get to Magic Land, which is closed on Mondays but open the rest of the week, is to call them when you exit the Kayabacho station. The phone number is (3) 3666-4749. They also have a website:
http://www.magicland.jp/index.html

And here's a map:
http://www.magicland.jp/Home/MagicLand_map.html

Address:
Yubinbango103-0025 Nihonbashi,
Chuo-ku, Tokyo Kayabacho 2-17-4
cooperative development building 5F
Telephone: 03 (3666) 4749-Fax: 03 (3666) 7306

◆ business hours: 11: 00 AM~6: 30PM ◆ Closed Monday and holidays
If you're looking specifically for Tenyo, you should go to one of the Tenyo Corners. On my last trip I went to Takashimaya dept. store in Shinjuku, which has a Tenyo Corner in the toy section (back of store, 8th floor I think). The demonstrator, Billy Masuda, was very friendly and showed me some of his routines, some of which will be in Richard's book.

At the very back of Takashimaya is a Tokyu Hands with a magic counter, but it was more of a standard mini magic shop that had some Tenyo tricks at same price as Tenyo Corner.
Thank you Richard and johnsigna for the suggestions.

I looked at the map and compared it using Google Street view. I think I found the place, so hopefully I can visit Magic Land without much trouble.

I will also allocate time to visit Tenyo Corner of Takashimaya.

Thank you!
Have a great trip.
Make sure you go to Asakusa and see the temple and the shopping arcade.
Have a great trip.
Make sure you go to Asakusa and see the temple and the shopping arcade.
[quote]On Jul 1, 2015, spycrapper wrote:
Thank you Richard and johnsigna for the suggestions.
I looked at the map and compared it using Google Street view. I think I found the place, so hopefully I can visit Magic Land without much trouble.
I will also allocate time to visit Tenyo Corner of Takashimaya.
Thank you! [/quote]

Spy- For those of us who have never been, or have any plans of visiting Japan, how about posting some pictures here on your return.
Thanks,
Ed
I shared online copule photos from my trips: one of Billy at Takashimaya Tenyo Corner from April of this year and a pano of Magic Land from year and a half ago.
https://www.icloud.com/sharedalbum/#B01532ODWWRdxG
Cool, thanks John.
Ed
Great shot of Magicland.

I love Tokyo, it is my favorite city. Despite many visits I speak no Japanese. I have never found that to be too much of a problem but what about at Magic Land?
Do you need to speak Japanese there would you say?
After going to Tokyo over dozen times, my Japanese vocabulary is still limited to "sushi," "tempura," "okonomiyaki,"...
I've never had any language issues at Magic Land. Getting to Magic Land, however...
Ha... Thanks.

Like yourself I've visited many times but have never been able to grasp more than very basic aspects of the language.

Thanks again.
Japanese is a very difficult language. Pronunciation is not too difficult because it's essentially phonetic, however remember the words is hard. After many years of traveling I have about 25 phrases and single words that do enough.
Oddly enough, despite being functionally illiterate while in Japan, I have always been fine and communicate just fine. I think it speaks volumes about the Japanese culture. They are great people.
Another great place to buy Tenyo in Japan is at Yodobashi Camera. They have a magic section in their toy departments, and the tricks are usually about 15-20% cheaper than at Takashimaya Departo.

http://www.yodobashi.com/ec/category/index.html?cate=&word=%E3%83%86%E3%83%B3%E3%83%A8%E3%83%BC+Tenyo&ginput=

The great thing about Takashimay Departo is that they have the Tenyo demonstrators. Even if they don't speak English, they will usually have some instructions in English that they will provide with their sales. Very good customer service.
Also, the last time I went there, magic was also sold in Toys R Us. The prices were reasonable as well.
Tenyo tricks cost more at the 10 Tenyo Corners in department stores. That's because there's a demonstrator who will teach you how to do the tricks, and guide you the way a magic shop demonstrator should. It's well worth the small amount extra that you pay.

In addition, many of these Tenyo demonstrators have their own touches on the tricks, and they teach them to their customers. Mr. Shimizu, and Bill, both give DVDs to their customers with their own handlings of the tricks.
The demonstrator at the Tenyo shop in Yokohama is the same way. When I bought two Tenyo items from him, he showed me a couple of different handlings of the tricks. It was very helpful to have a translator with me, though.

If you call ahead, they can sometimes bring items not normally stocked (older items).
[quote]On Aug 9, 2015, Richard Kaufman wrote:
Tenyo tricks cost more at the 10 Tenyo Corners in department stores. That's because there's a demonstrator who will teach you how to do the tricks, and guide you the way a magic shop demonstrator should. It's well worth the small amount extra that you pay.

In addition, many of these Tenyo demonstrators have their own touches on the tricks, and they teach them to their customers. Mr. Shimizu, and Bill, both give DVDs to their customers with their own handlings of the tricks. [/quote]

You can't beat that kind of service and knowledge. Worth the small extra cost.