(Close Window)
Topic: Magic Magazine iPad app pulled from Apple store
Magic Magazine has pulled their app from the Apple store. Very curious. And it sounds like they won't be reintroducing it - they apparently have some new digital format in the works. I hope it's as good as the old iPad app, because that was fantastic, the rare instance when a written publication was even better in its digital format (it was not a glorified PDF file like Genii's digital version - it was an immersive, multimedia experience). Anyway, if you have the old app on your iPad, it apparently will continue working up through the April issue (which I just downloaded).
Wow, don't know if this is good news or bad news now.
What happens to all the issues we've bought from iTunes? Can we still access them?
Hope so. If not I'll be asking Stan for a refund asap.
They did also mention recently that they were doing a "major" update to the iPad version...so, who knows?
So actually what's happening to Magic Magazine in its digital form? Seems to have stopped after the April edition! Does anyone know how to subscribe to it as it's not available on App Store any longer.
I just got an email today from MAGIC - they have their new online format live. Go to their website and you should be able to sign up with your email address, the digital version is free with a subscription.

Here's what Stan said in the email:

"Dear Subscribers...

Exciting news! Our new MAGIC Magazine Digital Network is now up and running ó on your computer, tablet, and smart phone ó and itís free!

And as a print subscriber, you now get our digital magazine free. Browse through the May issue to see whatís coming in the mail, or read it from digital cover to digital cover. And donít forget to check out the bonus videos and podcasts. And itís not just May. All of the 2014 issues are now available at MyBookshelf."
Thanks Jeff but does that mean I have to be a print subscriber and there is no option to be solely a digital subscriber? I was a print subscriber for many years but as I live in Hong Kong the overseas postage was really high. So when the opportunity came to switch and get the issues online from App Store, I found it much more economical. Genii is the same in that they offer a purely digital subscription which is best for oversees subscribers like myself.
Ok I went to their website and there is a digital subscription which is USD 3 annual. So I subscribed.
Does that mean that all previous issues purchased through iTunes can still be accessed?
I mean the cost for a years digital subscription is US$36 😉
Have to say I don't like the new format.

I didn't see anything wrong with the iPad app and thought it was a great way to read the magazine. I don't want to read the magazine in a browser which seems to be how the new version functions so I'm sad to say they've lost a subscriber. Shame.
I just tried to download an issue I had bought on the iPad and it gives me an error.

Can anyone else confirm this is the case? If so, this really isn't acceptable and I intend to seek a full refund for all my purchased issues from Apple.

Jamie
I'm so sad about this. I loved Magic Magazine on my iPad.
[quote]On Apr 28, 2014, jbadman wrote:
I just tried to download an issue I had bought on the iPad and it gives me an error.

Can anyone else confirm this is the case? If so, this really isn't acceptable and I intend to seek a full refund for all my purchased issues from Apple.

Jamie [/quote]

Stan sent out a e-mail explaining how to download the digital edition through their new set up. If you have any problems, contact them. They are very helpful.

John
[quote]On Apr 28, 2014, jbadman wrote:

Jamie [/quote]

Yes I also get an error when trying to download ipast issues I bought. If you try to restore your purchases, it won't let you key in your iTunes password. I hope they resolve this as I have bought all digital issues since the beginning😡
This is a total disgrace. Treating loyal customers in such a way is a short cut to business failure.

Similar to magicbern I am concerned about my already paid for digital collection.

I hope it gets sorted and soon. Otherwise I'll send a report to Apple.
My apologies for not joining in this conversation earlier. At times, we seem to be jumping from one deadline to another. But, I'm on board now, so let's talk.

For over three years, we've been redesigning MAGIC Magazine each month specifically for the Apple iPad. I've been very proud of this edition, as I felt it stood up to just about anything anywhere in the digital publishing world. And I'm sad to see it go.

The fact is, however, that it's simply impossible for us to continue. Given the current trends in the industry, it's foreseeable that the cost to deliver the iPad edition will soon exceed the amount we're charging for the magazine. It's sad, but true.

And through it all, we were only able to service those who have iPads. We couldn't logistically offer that same version anywhere else. We had a limited market, with costs to sustain it going through the roof. A change had to be made.

So, we developed a new Digital Network in two parts: MyBookshelf and M360.

MyBookshelf is where your digital issues of MAGIC are always waiting for you. These issues are simpler digital editions, but they still contain all of the same content found in print and the video bonuses. And they are accessable on your computer, tablet, and smart phone. Best of all, we can offer these digital issues free with every print subscription. They're also available digitally only for as little as $3 per month.

M360 is our "playground." This is where we will be experimenting with new content available all different ways. While it's still in its infancy, I think you'll find it's a reader-friendly experience, without the constraints of a monthly calendar. And it comes with every subscription... print/digital and digitally-only.

I hope this answers some of your questions about what we're doing and why. And I'm sure you have more questions. Fire away, and I will do my best to answer.

Thanks...
I fully understand the logistical and practical cost of switching to another platform - enabling subscribers a greater variety of choices as to where and how they can read the magazine. However the question on my lips - and I'm sure many others who have been subscribing through iTunes since the magazine went digital - is whether we will be able to access our last issues even though we haven't downloaded them on our iPads.

Please advise as to whether any arrangement has been made with iTunes in this respect.

Thank you.
As to your question of whether you will be able to access our last issues (back issues?), even though you haven't downloaded them on your iPad...

No, No, and Yes. You will not be able to download them on your iPad, and you will not be able to use the App in the future.

However, we are making all of the back issues owed to you available on MyBookshelf. Each issue will have all of the print content, as well as all the digital content that goes with that issue. So, while the method of accessing it has changed, all of the content is the same.

Please contact us at help@MAGICmagazine.com to get your account updated.

Thanks...
Stan,

I've been a Magic Magazine subscriber since 1999, and switched to the digital iPad version about a year ago. Loved it.
Today I renewed my electronic subscription (with MyBookshelf) and I must say I am truly disappointed with the new format.

1. We can no longer download the magazine to iPad for offline reading (which I imagine is the most common use case)
2. The text clarity is quite poor and fuzzy (is this going to be fixed, or is this really the final product?)

Had I known how the new format worked and looked, I wouldn't have renewed my e-subscription and would have gone back to getting the print version.
Maybe the best way to go is to go back to the print edition and get this e-edition as a free bonus.

Kevin
Kevin...

1. Making the magazines at MyBookshelf downloadable is certainly on our list, however, I don't have any time frame as to when that will happen. Sorry.

2. As to the poor readability... Which iPad model are you on?

Thanks...

Stan
[quote]On May 15, 2014, Stan Allen wrote:
Kevin...

1. Making the magazines at MyBookshelf downloadable is certainly on our list, however, I don't have any time frame as to when that will happen. Sorry.

2. As to the poor readability... Which iPad model are you on?

Thanks...

Stan [/quote]

Hi Stan,

I have an iPad 3 with Retina Display.

Note I found that tapping the screen magnified the image just a bit, bringing the pages to full clarity.
So I respectfully withdraw that complaint.

I have to say I really like the M360 content. Now that is cool.

Am I supposed to get access to my issues previously purchased via the Apple App Store?
I assume your staff is inundated with emails so I will be patient awaiting responses to my email request on this topic.

Thanks,
Kevin
Kevin...

Glad the zooming in is working for you. We're working with the software company as to why the images are not as clear as they are on a computer. Hopefully, we will be able to solve that in the near future.

Yes, you will get access to your back issues. Please send an email to help@MAGICmagazine.com, and include the email address linked to your Apple account, as well as the month/year of the first issue purchased on your iPad.

Thanks for your patience and understanding. Feel free to contact me any time...stan@MAGICmagazine.com.

Stan
Hey Stan,

First off... Love the magazine and the MagicLIVE conventions... I have a question regarding the new format. It appears that the only way to view the issue on a iPad or Kindle is through the WEB... I have not been able to download the issue so I can view it later when I am not connected to the internet. Is this correct or am I doing something wrong? Just an FYI, one thing I really want from digital magazines is the ability to download the magazine when connected to my home wifi and then view them at my leisure without being connected. I travel a lot and love reading magazines on my iPad when I am on the plane...

Thanks!

Michael
Michael...

Thanks for your question and kind words about the magazine and convention.

At the moment, the only way to view any of our digital network is through the web. Making the individual issues downloadable to tablet devices is on our list, however, I don't have a time frame just yet.

Thanks, again...

Stan

P.S. In the June issue, which is now in MyBookshelf, there's an ad for the 2015 MAGIC Live, August 9-12. Alumni Registration (for 2013 attendees) opens June 9, 2014. General Registration opens June 16, 2014. Hope to see you there. I'll be the guy with the glazed over look!
Dear Mr Allen,

Thanks for taking the time to personally reply regarding the question of accessibility to our past digital issues. I have contacted your office via email in order to update my account and look forward to being able to access those past issues again soon on your new Bookshelf platform.

I am confident that you will iron out these teething issues and the digital issues in the future will be of pristine quality once again. Best of luck in your new venture to revamp the digital issues and provide bonus audio and video content. Hopefully we will be able to download past and present issues for offline reading sometime soon. But at least I can also read them now on my android platform smartphone - which I couldn't do before!
"Teething issues"... I like that!

Thanks...

Stan
Firstly I've been buying MAGIC since September 1992 with Lance Burton on the cover. I have every issue, not having missed a single one since the beginning. That's a lot of bookcase space!! A year and a half ago I plunked down several hundred dollars for an iPad mini. I am not a huge fan of Apple, and would have been much happier with any other tablet, but since MAGIC was being offered through an Apple app I had little choice. Also I thought it was time to stop buying the hard copies and start collecting the digital version instead. It was a perfect way to enjoy MAGIC while commuting to work and to take it along on trips and vacations. The app worked great. Easy to read. Easy to navigate. Videos played well inside the app and the external links worked great. Best of all I could take MAGIC with me anywhere once I downloaded the current issue.

I was surprised when I found out that I would no longer be able to read MAGIC as I had for the past year an a half. I understand the issues that have been discussed here and the staff at MAGIC has been very helpful at getting me set up with the new format. Having had a few weeks to look over the new version, I must say I'm rather disappointed. Navigation is clunky at best. Increasing the text size requires a combination of taps and "stretches". the external links need to be double taped to be accessed and the videos play externally and need to be manually put into full screen. This is on my iPad mini of course. On a desktop or lap top things seem a little smoother. I'm was willing to wait it out during the the growing pains of the new format, but one thing bothered me and that was, could I read my magazine off line? Apparently from above the answer is no. This is a HUGE deal breaker. Of what use is the MAGIC magazine if I can't take it with me? I received Duane Laflin's Grand Illusion magazine for a year and it came out as a downloadable PDF and worked great. perhaps this is something MAGIC could look at.

Again let me say the people a MAGIC have been fantastic with their help during this transition. I would have been willing to pay a little more to continue to receive it through the Apple app.Unfortunately I've bought my last MAGIC for a while.I hope MAGIC irons out all their "issues". I only wish they had done so BEFORE switching over to a new platform.

Respectfully,

John
John...

Thanks for your kind words about our team and their efforts in dealing with a number of issues at one time.

I understand that we've lost your business for the time being, but I hope we can earn it back in the future.

If you like, please send me your email, and I'll keep you posted on our progress.

All the best...

Stan
I have been a subscriber to Magic Magazine for well over 10 years , I personally like to read the magazine and while I am not against a digital magazine , I do download MUM magazine each month as I am always on the move I am simply not intrested in reading on line ,

This latest venture looks like going the take it or leave it route

My issue of May Magazine has not arrived and after 2 emails I finally have been advised that I can always read it on line as and I quote "I am unable "resend the issue due to the high cost of postage."

To say I am P**** O**

Is an understatement !
Martin...

Every month, 20 to 30 copies of MAGIC Magazine go missing en route. The good news is that it's not usually the same 20 to 30 people. The bad news is that replacing these issues is much more costly than initially sending them out, as a single issue does not qualify for any kind of bulk discount. And the cost overseas has gone through the roof, usually 3 to 4 times as expensive as when sent in bulk. Consequently, we're exploring alternatives, so that we can hold the cost of subscriptions down as low as possible.

I will look into your account and get back to you by email, hopefully within the next 24 hours. And please feel free to contact me regarding any part of the MAGIC Magazine operation you're upset with. I'm at editor@MAGICmagazine.com.

Thanks...

Stan
So to mail 30 missing copies per month in the states would cost as an estimate and probably a close one at that, aprox $65 to Magic. I think that is a small sum to pay to ensure 100% subscriptions arrive as expected by the consumer on a monthly basis. Actually that is a SMALL price to pay to guarantee customer satisfaction. Now if you are talking hundreds MIA each month, or all of them not in the states, then maybe an alternative is a solution but 20-30 copies?
I hope you find a way to allow people to download this on the iPad so people don't have to be online to view it. Very annoying at the moment.
We're working on it.
Can you not purchase single issues? You must subscribe?
I would also like to know if single issues are available ?
You can purchase the current issue and receive one month access to M360 by signing up for a month-to-month subscription. Your card will be charged $4 (the auto charge on the month-to-month subscription). You can then cancel your subscription right away, so we only charge you the $4 one time. The current issue is now permanently available for you on MyBookshelf and you still have access to M360 for the entire month. By doing this, you get a full sampling of what MAGIC Magazine Digital Network has to offer. If you like it, you can sign up for an annual rate of $36 or continue with the $4 month-to-month rate. Hope this helps.
I'm not a subscriber, but would buy most issues on an "something in it for me" basis. Yes, there usually is. I hadn't looked for a few months and was curious why I couldn't see any new issues lately. Not thrilled that you can only read the new ones online. I like to take them with me. Hopefully this will change in the near future.

Just registered for Magic LIVE and can't wait. I was at #2 and it was one of the best times of my life.
I know they are working on it and I hope the downloading on iPad issue is resolved soon. The navigation at the moment is terrible. I haven't read the June and July issues yet for that very reason.
I really liked the old iPad app; I think it was the BEST kind of reading experience ever. I'm very sad to say that since they switched to the new format, I have stopped reading Magic Magazine. I really miss their great content, but without being able to download an issue for offline reading, it is no use at all, not even the additional content they're offering. I'm travelling a lot lately and I don't always have a WiFi connection. A simple watermarked PDF would have been fine for me... and Imreally don't understand why this is so difficult. Other magic magazines do it as well....
How can we get the old editions that we previously bought for the iPad? I read earlier that you would make sure we have access to these on rate digital network.

Would like to know how, before I sign up for anything more.

Thanks,

RevJohn
[quote]On Jul 13, 2014, MagicSe7en wrote:
I really liked the old iPad app; I think it was the BEST kind of reading experience ever. I'm very sad to say that since they switched to the new format, I have stopped reading Magic Magazine. I really miss their great content, but without being able to download an issue for offline reading, it is no use at all, not even the additional content they're offering. I'm travelling a lot lately and I don't always have a WiFi connection. A simple watermarked PDF would have been fine for me... and Imreally don't understand why this is so difficult. Other magic magazines do it as well.... [/quote]

I couldn't agree more. I thought our iPad-only version was top-notch. Unfortunately, there was a considerable cost to producing that version, and we found that our readers did not number enough to offset that cost. Consequently, we went to a web-viewer that is a product we can sustain, and offer it free with subscription. As to being able to download that, we're working in that direction. At the moment, the bigger issue is making the new web-viewer product to look good on all tablet devices. As soon as that is in place (and at the moment, it's out of our hands), then we'll proceed with getting the app set up to make the issues downloadable to your tablet style devices. Thanks...
[quote]On Jul 13, 2014, RevJohn wrote:
How can we get the old editions that we previously bought for the iPad? I read earlier that you would make sure we have access to these on rate digital network.

Would like to know how, before I sign up for anything more.

Thanks,

RevJohn [/quote]

Yes, we do have web-viewer copies of the magazines that were originally sold through the App Store. Please email me (stan@MAGICmagazine.com) and I'll get you set up. Thanks... Stan
Stan,

I am a long time reader, multiple time complainer (j/k). I liked the experimental efforts you have put forward in the past, even teasers like Magic Next. The Magic Magazine iPad version was the only reason I wanted an iPad. I am often touring around from city to city and I hate thinking I had no access to Magic Magazine unless I had someone ship my mail. The latest effort really makes me happy with having access to M360.

I do not like the $3/mo online subscription model. I have run into this many times in my life with services that disappear, download sites discontinuing, etc. I still haven't found the files that went to tricks that were included in the past Tricks of Trade column from the past issues. that's what I worry about bookshelf services. At least with M360, I am still getting my physical magazine but I can view it everywhere if I am away from home.

I realize that money is always an issue, but maybe this should be talked about at Magic Live to awaken the issues and also see what the best forward action might be.

I will always be a reader and yes I know I owe you my subscription fees.
Tommee...

Good suggestion to have some kind of a conversation about the digital future at MAGIC Live!

Thanks...
So upset. So sad. I loved the iPad version. I will not be purchasing until there is a downloadable function. Part of the reason I first got an iPad was for magazines as I live overseas.

Did you consider the fact that some of us would be willing to pay more? This seems so abrupt. I didn't know about it until I couldn't download the may issue.
So sad, indeed. All of us around here really liked our DPS iPad edition. Unfortunately, it had to go. And charging more for our old iPad was not the answer. Because of download fees (and re-download fees that could go on forever), the Adobe DPS model is just not sustainable by the small publisher. We're hoping to have a downloadable version in the future, but it will still be closer to our web-viewer version now available.
Alright. Sorry to have a shocked reaction. I look forward to reading more.
Thanks... and please stay tuned.
I realize it has been said but I LOVED the iPad version! With that version, I could buy single copies when I had extra money... I could also buy previous issues. I was slowly building up to having all the digital issues. How can we purchase back issues? I understand the idea of subscribing then canceling right away, but that is not an elegant solution, and I have always thought of MAGIC as an elegant magazine. Also, I know it has been said that we iPad users want a downloadable solution, because, quite frankly we are not always near a hotspot. Please help your loyal customers...
Thanks for your kind words about the iPad version. With our new circulation system, you will be able to purchase one issue at a time. Also, you will own those digital issues, and we'll keep them available to you forever. We have not widely offered this yet, because we're not happy with the look of the actual digital magazines on the tablet devices. We're working with a new company that will allow us to offer a downloadable version of the magazine. Hopefully by mid-October, we'll be ready to announce the next level. Thanks, again...
How's the progress going on the issue of downloadable versions?
Short answer: Mid-November.
Longer answer: We've (finally) found the right company that will allow us to offer a crisp PDF version of the magazine for tablets that is downloadable. And... will still be able to work with our fulfillment system, where the issues you've purchased will be available to you on MyBookshelf, whether you continue to subscribe or not, whether you've downloaded them or not. That second bit has made this a bit more... well, complicated.
Thanks....
Any more updates?
Good news and bad news! (Ugh!) We're working daily with the new publishing company. The good news is that the issues look great, and we're down to just making our fulfillment system work with their fulfillment system. This is more complicated because, unlike the other magazines and club organizations, if you stop subscribing to MAGIC Magazine (or only purchase one issue), we continue to make all the issues you purchased available to you on MyBookshelf. So, you truly are purchasing digital copies, not just renting them while you're a subscriber or member. We keep testing the system, then going back and tweaking, then texting and... etc., etc. Bad news is that my IT person (and the new company) will not promise until December 31st. Since this has taken longer (twice!) than we expected, I'll be happy to send you the current print issue. Contact me directly, please, at stan@MAGICmagazine.com.
Man am I glad I stopped Magic Magazine when the app was pulled and I lost my subscription. Seems like Magic is having a hard time.
Yeah, we're having a hard time with the iPad version and the download. Hopefully, it's all behind us when the champagne pops and we can start rebuilding trust with our iPad customers. Thanks...
Any updates?
Sadly, no updates. Hopefully, soon!
Any news or updates??
Waiting for a downloadable version of Magic Magazine...
I'm hesitant to say this... but our app is in the Apple cue as of yesterday. Given the length of time this has taken, I'm even more hesitant to project a time frame other than... "Hopefully, soon!" Thanks...
What about The show doctor? It has disappeared but I paid for itwill this be sorted out to Stan?
Show Doctor is already sorted out. Send me an email, please: stan@MAGICmagazine.com. Thanks...
Finally!!!

In the coming days, we'll be announcing that the new issues of MAGIC Magazine will finally be downloadable via an app on the iPad and iPhone. The app will make current monthly magazines available for download to your device for easy reading on the go, and it all starts with the March 2015 issue. If you'd like to "kick the tires" a bit, please visit the link below and download the new iOS app.

http://magicmagazine.com/digital/redirect-iost.html

Thanks for your patience...
Will we be able to read the issues prior to March 2015 on the ipad at some point?
Thanks Stan. Got the app and it works great.
Glad the app works.

We have the last six months available in a downloadable format. The balance of the digital issues are only available as a web-viewer on your computer.

Thanks...
I've enjoyed everything you ever put out. Just want you to know Stan!
Thank you!