(Close Window)
Topic: Derek Dingle Passed Away
This from Meir Yedid:

"Legendary close-up magician Derek Dingle died earlier today (Jan. 11, 2004)in New York City after suffering a stroke. A full obituary will appear in a special edition of MagicTimes and a further e-mail will be sent once it is published later tonight."
NO WAY!!! This is crazy....

Just read The Complete Works a couple months ago.

Magic has lost another great.

Chris
This is sad. :cry: He, his magic, and his ideas will be missed.

Bummed out,

Rob
And the magic world is poorer for his passing.

My sincere condolences to his family and friends.

Lee Darrow, C.Ht.
http://www.leedarrow.com
Wow...what a shock. I'll add my condolences to, what I know will be, the growing list of people who will miss him.

Best thoughts,
John Smetana :(
Very sad news.

I always wanted to see him work. I never had a chance to though. The magic world has lost a most valuable member.
What a sad day for us all. Aside from his talent, Derek was one of the nicest people on the planet. We'll all miss him!!!

Chris
I'm saddened by the news also. May God be with his family and friends. We'll miss him.

:cry:
I'll always remember the way this man changed my perception of magic when I saw him perform on a TV show many, many years ago.

A living legend has left us. Let's never forget what he gave to the world of magic.

Greg
I am saddened to learn this as well. Derek Dingle performed once on a late night TV show that was hosted by Tom Synder in the 1970s. I watched him do a couple of superb card routines on that program. His performance was the first expert card magician I had ever seen, and from that moment on I became interested in card margic. One of my favorite little books is [i]Dingle's Deceptions[/i]. I remember finding it in Hank Lee's shop in Boston and was thrilled. I still do his Color Triumphant.

Gary

:verysad:
God Bless Derek. He was very kind to many people, me included. I have fond memories of those kindnesses. The world has lost a wonderful man.

PSC
I also wanted to offer my heartfelt condolences for the passing of Derek Dingle. He was an amazing magician and a fabulous human. He will be greatly missed.

I think that we keep those who touch our lives with us by the way that we remember them. I will always hold onto the stories of Mr. Dingle fooling people with their own Cigarette Through Quarter gimmicks and the “one-way deck classic pass”—these stories, even today, put a grin on my face that goes from ear to ear.

Tonight, I, like the rest of you, will be thinking of Derek, his family, his close friends and all those inside and out of the magic community whose lives he touched.

Yours truly,
Eric Starkey
The real magic comes following the passing of good men. It comes from the gathering of his friends.

There are many who will gather for this man and tell their stories for a very long time. :cry:
Derek Dingle was one of the first magicians I saw on video from [i]Stars of Magic[/i] series. He will be truly missed. :cuteangel: :cuteangel: :angelbear:
I had the distinct pleasure of chatting with him a few times as well as working for his agency. What a very sad day.

Jason

[quote]
To die, to sleep...To sleep, perchance to dream. Ay there's the rub, for in that sleep of death what dreams may come when we have shuffled off this mortal coil, must give us pause...
[/quote]
My condolences too from Spain. In five days, we have lost two of the best cardicians and close-up magicians in the world, Jose Carroll and Derek Dingle. I´m very sad about it.

All the best magic,

Pablo Tejero :bikes:
Pablo

If you add Jack Avis to that list, magic has lost THREE of the best in the space of a week. :cry: :cry: :cry:

Peter
:(
Can anyone set forth some of Derek's biography, including magic and non-magic highlights (e.g., DOB, occupation, etc.)?

Gianni
:cry:
One of my earliest influences from the [i]Stars of Magic[/i] video. Unfortunately, I never had the pleasure of meeting him.

Harp
Still remember Derek doing his Cig Through Quarter. Fantastic the first time I saw it.
My condolences to friends and family of Derek Dingle, my heart goes out to all of you for your loss of this wonderful man.
[img]http://members.aol.com/randymagic/dd.jpg[/img]

Derek Dingle was funny both in mannerisms, and in rapier wit. Derek was politically incorrect just a bit earlier than when true political incorrectness became correct. He worked hard and played hard, and for a while just lived hard. Derek was given the limelight, though it was hard to discern if he ever really wanted it, or cared for it. He claimed, at times, to have little affection for magic—though it was always clear he loved it deeply.

Derek had a frumpy, strangely clumsy look at times; yet his hands could be like the feet of Fred Astaire. He enraged and delighted, amazed and inspired, all at the same time. He could take Bertram’s coins to a new level, make colors more triumphant than ever before, yet enjoyed embalming himself in masking tape. The girls would scream with delight when he performed his Silver Quick, though he did it slowly. His [i]Complete Works[/i] of 1982 became the springboard for a new standard in magic textbooks. Large, well-produced, well-illustrated volumes for magicians became the accepted standard soon thereafter. Few books have attained the longevity and popularity of this Kaufman–Greenberg classic.

Derek soaked up secrets at a time when secrets were not readily soakable. There were bits of Ross Bertram and Eddie Fechter concealed in Derek Dingle, and a few bits and bobs of Bruce Cervon and Larry Jennings as well. Yet, Derek congealed it and presented it in a way that all his own. He entertained Cavett, Douglas, Snyder, Barbara Walters, and even Kermit the frog in a time when nation-wide television appearances were rare—and really meant something.

Derek Dingle was always surprising to me. Each time I met him, I was a bit surprised. Derek always looked a bit surprised. The lines and bits of business he had were surprising. He audiences were always a bit surprised, and more than a bit astonished. Derek has left behind more of his spirit than most, perhaps because he was possessed with more spirit than most. His bushy mane always looked like it needed brushing, even after he brushed it. Derek often looked like he needed a shave, even though he just had. More than a few pros have commented again and again that, when Derek performed his five or six pet routines, he was the best in the world. It is hard not to agree, for Derek Dingle was always able to perform his favorite effects better than they could possibly be done by anyone else.

Lots of decks have been shuffled since 1937. Magic has lost one of its greatest characters for the moment, an iconoclastic, bombastic, nimble fingered man who could simultaneously shock some, and enthrall most. Now, with Derek Dingle’s surprise passing, it is strangely plausible that he might have psychically planned it. “And what if I don’t feel like doing no bloody lecture tour?” seems like something he could have said. I really, really liked Derek Dingle. Those that were touched by Derek and his not yet complete works are many. I’ll count myself as one of those lucky enough to have been. Perhaps only one thing is for certain.

The name “Dingle” will always ring a bell.
I remember watching him at work in the mid-70's showing Barbara Walters Card Warp and some other tricks on her daily show, and he was a great influence for me. He will be sorely missed. :(
It was through Derek Dingle's [i]Basic Card Video[/i] that I got interested in cards. I had never done much until then.

He will be missed.
I never had the pleasure to meet Derek Dingle but I know what a wonderful magician he was. This is one reason we need to have videos and DVDs to see the giants of magic in actual performances.

God bless the Dingle family. The magic community will not be the same with out him.

vinny
Good bye Derek

Thanks for the most inspirational night of my life at the Cobblestone Bar twenty years ago. I couldn't have had a better role model.

Love

Mike Vincent