(Close Window)
Topic: Paid To Busk in NC!
I have been busking regularly in Raleigh and trying to raise awareness in the area since there is very little in the here. I was contacted by some merchants who saw me busking yesterday and want me to find people to busk in the town of Fuquay-Varina, NC. They are willing to pay for it AND allow hat lines. There is limited availability for the paid position now, and they hope it will become a buskers paradise and bring in people to their area.

If you are interested in busking in Fuquay-Varina, let me know and I'll hook you up!
A few years back Milwaukee tried to pay buskers in order to provide more ambience to the downtown area. It failed miserably because of a few things:
- Milwaukee didn't have a history of street performers and folks didn't know what to make of them.
- Folks in the Midwest tend to be a bit stingy when tipping...even when they know they should. And they weren't sure if they should be tipping these performers...so many didn't and when they did they were small hats
- There weren't many performers in the area willing to try busking. And those who did weren't very good.
- Milwaukee is not a tourist destination. Other than the music festivals such as Summerfest there is not much new traffic. And while the festivals bring on a lot of folks they aren't inclined to stop for a busker on the way to the festival grounds. They want to get in, drink and listen to bands. On way out they're either too drunk or just want to get home to stop

KC, it's great to hear you promoting busking...hope you avoid what happened in Milwaukee. Good luck.
Thanks Imgic!

Well, honestly, I don't think it will work unless the merchants pay a little - I don't think there will be enough traffic as well as everything you mentioned. I am going to get local papers and news to do interviews (hopefully). They are paying me $50/hr to busk Saturday mornings, and I keep all tips. Since I typically make $50/hr busking in the park, it's a good deal and the times shouldn't cut in too much with my BD parties. (Fuquay-Varina is a suburb of Raleigh)

They are looking for other buskers too, I just don't know any in this area.
I see the town has a population of about 18,000. I wonder what the foot traffic is like for density. If I lived locally it would be a good deal. Unless there is a better pitch at a nearby city that more money could be made at.
Well I wish you the best of luck

Check local colleges. I know back in Madison WI quite a few music majors would busk at the farmers market and there was a group of college actors that would read Shakespeare. Wouldn't be surprised if some theater majors knew magic or juggling or some other talent they could use to busk...
Yes, the best pitch is in a park in Raleigh which is maybe a 20 minute drive. I'll see how good this is next week (I have a BP this Saturday at the time they want, so I can't make it.).

What really makes me happy is that merchants are seeing the value of buskers. If I can get on the news and explain the value, maybe more will follow.
I lived in North Cakalaki for several years.
The folks were supremely friendly, I miss the area much.
Pop Hadyn is from there as well.

Here is a nice clip of the town of which KC speaks.
Great going KC, I wish you much success.

[youtube]cruK9J9spCk[/youtube]
Yes, the people are pretty friendly here! There aren't a ton of locations to busk yet, but there arn't many buskers either. One could EASILY find enough busking to live and raise a family here.
Bit late to the party but I played FV a couple of weeks ago. I am a musician (of sorts). Play and sing. I played at Varina Station in the breezway for 3 hours. Not a lot of passing foot traffic (but plenty of cars!) so the tips reflected it (THREE DOLLARS and that was in the last 15 mins so I guess it pays to hang in there.

I treat it as 3 hours of practice and I got to do what I enjoy so what the heck! I am playing again next week for their shop local event but just for a couple of hours (unless I get there early). We'll see how it goes.