(Close Window)
Topic: Penguin magic online downloads
Does anyone have any of the Penguin magic online downloads and if so could they please tell me what they think of them?

Thanks for you help
Decent but not the best I have seen. You can't go wrong with a low price like that though. Even if you learn 1/3 of a trick it is worth 5 bucks.

Read the reviews and visit their forums. Just research some stuff.
I've bought a couple and they're fine. I too like Oz's method of teaching, it's clear and to the point. If you want a very effective trick, "Out of this world" is a good place to start, doesn't involve anything except a very simple sleight but no one will work it out. It's certainly not a Penguin original and it's reproduced in many many books, but this is a quick and easy way to learn it.

The Ultimate Ace Assembly is a more complex routine and involves many more complex sleights, but Oz teaches them and it will keep you busy for a good few sessions working on them.

David.
Most of the Penguin Magic downloads are very good. I'd recommend searching their forums for reviews because they are usually right on.

At first I had a hard time at the thought of paying for a download, but now I'm glad I've done so. I learn best visually and have found that a lot of the $5-6 downloads are a much better value for me than the $10-15 tricks that only include a manuscript.

As someone else mentioned, I would also recommend Out of this World.

:sawingchick:
Personally, I've found them very helpful.

As someone who grew up with only magic books to learn from, I find video, DVDs and downloads much easier to use. You can watch the exact move, hand position, timing, everything-- over and over.

And as others have pointed out, if you're interested in a certain effect, that's all you have to pay for-- not a lot of filler.

My favorites so far are Revolver (an easy version of Twisting the Aces) and Out of This World (a classic).

:bikes:
Some of them can be found in RRTCM. But some of them are also pretty good. My favorite is Joker's Wild, because laymen love that trick. Visual magic is my favorite because it hits hard. Nothing better then seeing a card transform into another card right before your very eyes :heckno: .
Yes, I got Jokers Wild and Revolver when I got back into magic and they both contain good moves that can be used elsewhere.

Both of these effects have good demos because what you see is what you get. I've heard there are some where maybe a cut or something else is used in the demo, but it's taken for granted while the 'meat' of the effect is taught.

The onlyr real complaint I've heard is again with proper crediting.
[quote]
On 2004-01-16 17:00, Traylen wrote:
Some of them can be found in RRTCM. But some of them are also pretty good. My favorite is Joker's Wild, because laymen love that trick. Visual magic is my favorite because it hits hard. Nothing better then seeing a card transform into another card right before your very eyes :heckno: .

[/quote]

Could you please tell me what skill level Jokers Wild requires? It looks quite interesting.
I would say jokers wild is at an intermediate stage. It is a very nice effect. I would recommend "Do as I Do" by Oz. It is not your standard "Do as I Do". This is a very simple, very good trick. It gets big reactions.

Check it out,
Matt
Joker's Wild is pretty easy. The color changes are very easy to learn, and if you have trouble with the shapeshifter, just do the first change twice (yeah yeah, don't repeat stuff, shoot me =P ). And you have to be able to control cards. If you can do that, the trick is pretty easy to learn.
I've got quite a lot of Pengiun Magic's videos.
They are good. Oz gives good instructions.

Like some others, I like the "Joker's Wild" too.
I second "Do As I Do." Easy but impressive trick. I also learned "Out of This World" and "Quantum Bandits" (AKA "Crazy Man's Handcuffs") from Penguin. "Quick Trick" is also fun and teaches a sleight that was new to me.
The downloads they have are fairly well done, but they are after all meant to hook your attention so that you will buy their product. I have not had any problems as far as the downloads themselves are concerned, you should give them a try.
...not sure I get that? The downloads ARE part of their product line so there's no hooking going on there.

Do you mean all the video demo's they have there? Those are selling tools for the respective effects.
I agree with thumbslinger, you watch a video, you like the trick, you buy the effect... and no obligation here.
The magic and the instructions are great. The only problem I see is paying for something you already know. I think most of the effects are just re-titled. For all you know they are in one of your books and old videos. Just be careful in purchasing.

Rannie
There is another thread on this worth reading here:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=43159&forum=30

I've already stated my piece there, so I'll leave it at that.
I don't like the renaming/selling of effects that seems to be going on there.
I ordered their classic force download just out of curiousity. I did not enjoy the video very much but I particularly didn't like the method of delivery.

If I remember correctly I could only access the video through their site for a period of time, I couldn't save it. And I had to WAIT for the "instant" download. A day I think. By the time I got it I really wasn't that hyped about it anymore :confused:

Seems they offer a lot of stuff but it's not quite ready for market yet.

Dr Magic

:dancing:
<<The only real complaint I've heard is again with proper crediting. >>

See my signature.
[quote]
On 2004-01-24 09:04, Dr Magic wrote:
I ordered their classic force download just out of curiousity. I did not enjoy the video very much but I particularly didn't like the method of delivery.

If I remember correctly I could only access the video through their site for a period of time, I couldn't save it. And I had to WAIT for the "instant" download. A day I think. By the time I got it I really wasn't that hyped about it anymore :confused:

Seems they offer a lot of stuff but it's not quite ready for market yet.

Dr Magic

:dancing:
[/quote]

Could you be confusing Penguin with someone else? I've purchased a few different instant downloads from them over the last year and you get instant access to them and can save them to your hard drive. And the ones I purchased months ago are still there for me to download.
No, I'm quite sure it was them. Maybe they've changed their system. It was not very long ago.
Scared me off from any future purchases though.

:pepper:

Dr Magic
I would invest in actual books and actual documentation as opposed to the downloads. They are not bad, but they are not good either.

Oz Pearlman is a good magician, but I just don't like his teaching style. The videos are very brief. They do have a few good effects (but as mentioned above, they tend to rename other effects). I believe that is why their Matrix Reminted is no longer available, some copyright problem.
What does anyone think of their version of 'Triumph', is it as good as the one featured on Ammar's DVD. Is it well taught and finally what is the difficulty level.
I don't get instant downloads. A rip-off if you ask me. If you go to google groups search, you will see exposure to any trick. Usually the trick you will almost get rippid-off on is up there. It is your own choice.
[quote]
On 2004-01-26 21:10, philipmac wrote:
What does anyone think of their version of 'Triumph', is it as good as the one featured on Ammar's DVD. Is it well taught and finally what is the difficulty level.
[/quote]

That Triumph is by Troy Hoosier. It's convincing, but the one Ammar teaches is Vernon's original, which is still the best, IMO.
Emerge triumphant their new one is very good. However, to keep files small it comes with 2 downloads. 1 Being a false shuffle the other being the "meat" of the effect. I usually purchase an Instant download from them when I place an order. That way I get something to work on at school or work while I wait for my order.

Dr. Magic. I have had no problems with the ID's at penguin and unless you paid via PayPal you shouldn't have had to wait a day. Make sure if you want to go back and check that you are logged in, because I thought I couldn't access them either. Turns out I deleted my cookies and needed to relog....

Adam
[quote]
On 2004-02-12 11:50, Adammcd wrote:
Emerge triumphant their new one is very good. However, to keep files small it comes with 2 downloads. 1 Being a false shuffle the other being the "meat" of the effect. [/quote]

Thank you for telling me about this trick, what skill level is it, and how would it compare to the other instant downloads.
There is a somewhat complicated Marlo move and the false shuffle is not for the squeamish...(takes guts in my opinion) So I'd say intermediate. It will regardless of skill level take work. It's beauty is it's simplicity, It's downfall is it's not simple...