(Close Window)
Topic: Dancing Cane
Hi. I have recently bought the dancing cane. I can make it it float around me, etc. I was wondering if anybody had any comments about it.

What finger do you hold the gimmick on? I am using the thumb at the moment.

I am working on making the gimmick switch from hand to hand. Any comments??? :kermit:
The correct placement of the gimmick should be on the outer (last) joint of the middle finger. That way by using a simple little pumping action of the finger (almost imperceptable), you can make the cane move.

Switching hands is pointless and in fact ALWAYS looks as if you are passing the gimmick from hand to hand. The more important thing you should focus on is to have BOTH your hands moving at all times as if they both control the cane. That is more important.

PSIncerely Yours,
Paul Alberstat
I would have to disagree on the switching of hands. You can switch hands during a spin and noone will see a thing. I do my routine on the thumb, but the whole routine is short. Only 2 minutes long. For which most of the time I am telling a story about why I have the cane. But I do know of someone who swears by the middle finger hookup. He does some KILLER moves with it this way. His name is Bill Robinson, from Raleigh NC. He even makes the cane move in circles from back to front going over his head! Keep working, It will come to you.

Blurr
Jeff McBride, on his VHS Magic on Stage, Vol 3, has a nice discussion on the Dancing Cane. He states the illusion is lost after the first minute, To keep it short but what you do make sure it's perfect. A great opening act. It's worth watching.
I agree with Jeff McBride. Keep the routine incredibly short. Watch a lot of videos of people doing it and pick the two or three moves that you like best. Learn those. Do those. Quit. When you take the time to learn a whole bunch of moves, it's tempting to want to do them all in front of an audience. As soon as they think thread, you've lost the battle. They won't admire your skill if they think they know how it's done.
I feel that you are all underating the Dancing Cane. It is truly a mystifying piece. As long as the thread is not seen, I don't think anybody can figure it is hooked to your thumb or finger. But, you do as you wish, and I will keep killing people with my version, which is a highlite of my show!

Blurr
Hmmmm....Good Points Here!

I blow away my audience with my version of the Dancing cane every week in my "Extreme Illusions of Fire" segment of my show! Here are my personal views...

1) I use the middle finger!
2) Like ThoughtReader said keep both hands moving and the secret will be undetectable.
3) Although you can stretch out the length of the routine, there are only so many moves that you can do with the dancing cane even if you are Peter Pit! I keep my routine down to about minute and half. But it's strong magic at it's best!
4) The dancing cane is one of the most affordable mini illusions out there, that packs small yet plays big!

Highly recomended!

P.
I understand there is a video of Peter Pit doing the Dancing Cane. Has anybody seen it? Does it really exist? If so, what is the name and where can I get one?

I heard he was supposed to make one but then he died, is that true?
Where can I find a dancing cane illusion? Is it only suitable for stage work?
Wow! I know I haven't played with a cane in years but amuse me for a few...

I learned how to do the cane from a Dutchman named Peter Pit... according to him, the thumb is the proper finger... then again, he and Fred Kapps may have been wrong...

I'm hearing some interesting things here... can't wait to hear how you're doing the Long Salt Pour... :confused:
For the Ultimate cane illusion check out my new creation:

[url]www.masterofillusions.ca/ULT-CANE.htm[/url]

P.
Hey, I have seen Dancing Canes for sale as low as 12.00 brand new. I was wondering, does the price determine the quality of the effect? Or is it basically all the same, just better made canes cost more because they are either metal or decorated in a fancy way? I would like to get a cheap dancing cane to start out with. Any help would be great. I saw Rick Anderson performing at a lecture last week using the Dancing cane. His performance looked great. The cane he used looked like the $12.00 versions ive seen out there. :question:
BRIAN... in a word YES!

Anytime you buy "second rate" that's what you get!

When I was doing the cane I owned two Creekmore units that ran around $125.00 each some 20 years ago. They were the best for weight, balance and control. I'm not familiar with some of the new models on the market today, but I DO NOT recommend buying a new cane that sells for less than $80.00 + (and even some of those are questionable.)
Thanks for the advice Darmoe. Can anyone tell me where I can look into getting the best dancing canes around? I have searched dancing cane as a inquiry term on sites like google, msn.... I just come up with pages that give me 12 to 30 dollar canes. Any help would be appreciated. :coffee:
Brian,

Denny Haney still carries Creekmore Canes, Pool Cues and Golf Clubs. The Cane is around the $90 price tag...maybe closer to $100. His site is dennymagic.com

Hope this helps.,

-Corey King
Thank you Corey. That is more like what I'm looking for. I only found Creekmore canes. In your post, do you mean they sell dancing pool cues? I'm confused. Maybe I should look it up on the site before making a bigger ace of myself. :realnerdy:
Yes they also carry a dancing golf club and a dancing pool cue.

-Corey
Darmoe, I don't really think it is fair for you to make that statement about any cane under $80.00 is second rate. My ultimate cane is a very exceptional well made prop that will last you a lifetime if taken care of. It also creates a spectacular effect involving the cane that makes a beautiful piece of magic.

Besides, I know for a fact that you have not seen my cane in action, nor have you seen the props put together. You can assume, but I would appreciate it --especially comming from a person of your magical background-- to not put mine or anyone else's product in that catagory without seeing it first.

Thank you,

P.
[quote]
On 2002-07-22 18:21, Peter Loughran wrote:
Darmoe, I don't really think it is fair for you to make that statement about any cane under $80.00 is second rate. My ultimate cane is a very exceptional well made prop that will last you a life time if taken care of. It also creates a spectacular effect involving the cane that makes a beautiful piece of magic, besides I know for a fact that you have not seen my cane in action nor have you seen the props put together. You can assume but I would appreciate it especially comming from a person of your magical background to not put mine or anyone elses product in that catagory without seeing it first. Thank you,

P.
[/quote]

Peter

It's nothing personal but based on my experience over the past 35 years or so the majority of the canes that sell below the range I mentioned lack balance and ease in control. The majority of the full-time pros I know personally that do the Cane in their act either end up with or use Creekmore exclusively for this reason.

Now in defense of your position I'll admit, I've not played with one and you may have overcome some of the problems known to exist in the lesser expensive product. I can't say but must, as anyone, support my position based on what I know, have seen and experienced. I do not mean this as a slander against your particular product, only as a general warning/rule of thumb. I honestly hope you do offer a equal to or superior product to Creekmore at a better price... our industry needs that kind of competition.

:cheers:
I understand what you are saying in defense of your experience, but my cane uses some Fantasio-made products and, as you should know, his products have been used by some of the top full-time pros, including: Lance Burton, Tony Clark, David Copperfield, James Dimmare, Sonny Fontana, Greg Frewin, Franz Harray, Norm Neilson, Hans klok, Penn and Teller, Princess Tenko, Silvan, Shimada, and Melinda, just to name a few.

My product was fully backed by Fantasio, so I think it is safe to say that what I am selling is NOT second rate. That was all I was trying to say and your first post sounded like it was made out of unfairness towards me, that's all.

Cheers

:cheers:

P.
You know what would make a really good television show? Celebrity magician death match. Made out of clay likenesses of the real person. Just like MTV's version. That way, we can settle all disputes in the ring using our magical powers! Or how about I just shut up. :)
Brian
Why can't we all just get along?
HEY! does anyone know anything about an appearing dancing cane? I have seen the German appearing canes and they are the best for me do to how tall I am. :dance:
I don't think me and Craig were fighting with each other, we were simply just stating each others opinions and that's what make's this board great. I misunderstood and Darmoe explained himself and his reasoning behind his opinion.
Which I appreciate!

Thanks Craig.
P.
I think it would still make for good television though... :)
[quote]
On 2002-07-27 05:54, Brian wrote:
I think it would still make for good television though... :)
[/quote]

Problem is, the rating would be incredibly low in that the public recognizes (maybe) five names total when it comes to magic; Copperfield, Burton, the dynamic duo (Sigfred & Roy)... they might identify with the name of Blackstone and David Blain and a few may even remember Mark Wilson and Dante. Outside that about the only other magician the average person would "recall" is Houdini.

Our industry is big, but we have very few publically recognized celebrities.

Now, if you were to take this idea and make a special video/DVD for the industry itself... you might just make some bucks off of it... I know Harry Anderson did great with the first issue of WINNIE Magazine :lol:
I have a Creekmore, and an 18$ 2-piece cane. If used as a cane, the Creekmore has it hands down. However, once I adjusted the balance and dressed it up a little, the 18$ cane flies real well, packs in my briefcase, and looks great!

It is my opening routine. 1 minute 36 seconds for the whole thing (flying 50 seconds). Anyone who was at Legends of Magic last November(Mt Charleston) on Saturday night, we had a mini dancing cane session with Jeff McBride and he liked my set-up. The cane's action is all about set-up and balance, coupled with a lot of practice/skill.

I take nothing away from the quality of a Creekmore. It works great right out of the box. It's a great cane. I needed something that looked a little more "Merlinish" to fit my persona and I wasn't about to start hacking up my Creekmore. What I am saying is the cane had to be suitable to my act. I am an advocate of the best quality, and teachers. In this case, as usual, the teacher, is again, more valuable than the prop.

Just my 2 cents worth.
Telemus
This goes back over 50 years. At that time there was a featured male dancer playing the Empire Room in Chicago. He wandered into National Magic Company which, like the Empire Room, was in the Palmer House hotel. After seeing the dancing cane demonstrated, he bought one and played around with it for a week or so. Then he came back and bought eight more. A week later he had a big hit by performing the cane in front of a chorus line of female dancers also doing a simple cane routine. Two points here. One, if you want to look good doing the cane, a few basic dance lessons couldn't hurt. Secondly, if you have a couple of assistants, you have the basis of a novel staging bit.

Sid Mayer

P.S. Both the Empire Room as a nightclub and the National Magic Company no longer exist and I don't feel all that good myself.
[quote]
On 2002-08-09 18:12, Sid Mayer wrote:
This goes back over 50 years. At that time there was a featured male dancer playing the Empire Room in Chicago. He wandered into National Magic Company which, like the Empire Room, was in the Palmer House hotel. After seeing the dancing cane demonstrated, he bought one and played around with it for a week or so. Then he came back and bought eight more. A week later he had a big hit by performing the cane in front of a chorus line of female dancers also doing a simple cane routine. Two points here. One, if you want to look good doing the cane, a few basic dance lessons couldn't hurt. Secondly, if you have a couple of assistants, you have the basis of a novel staging bit.

Sid Mayer

P.S. Both the Empire Room as a nightclub and the National Magic Company no longer exist and I don't feel all that good myself.
[/quote]

That's funny... I thought I was the first to put multiple canes in a production number :hrmph:

We did a bit in L.A. years ago to the tune of "La Jazz Hot" from "Victor Victoria" in which 8 boys were doing the cane in the background as I set up an illusion... the audience went nuts!
[quote]
On 2002-07-26 16:40, TOBIAS wrote:
Why can't we all just get along?
HEY! does anyone know anything about an appearing dancing cane? I have seen the German appearing canes and they are the best for me do to how tall I am. :dance:
[/quote]
I saw an appearing dancing cane on ebay several months ago for about $50 or so as I recall. I'll look again.
I guess someone SHOULD mention that while a lot of the greats use the Fantasio vanishing cane they DON'T use it for the DANCING cane....CHEERS!----Jimo
That's because my version just came out Jimo! But I don't beleive I need to defend it anymore as enough reptuble magicians are now using it! See it, then you be the judge! Anyway Its doing well and I have had nothing but rave reviews about it so far, And most of the Café menbers seem to be happy for me! Thanks for all the nice comments from those of you that have tried it out, I appreciate it!

P.
[quote]
On 2002-06-19 14:24, DenDowhy wrote:
I understand there is a video of Peter Pit doing the Dancing Cane. Has anybody seen it? Does it really exist? If so, what is the name and where can I get one?

I heard he was supposed to make one but then he died, is that true?
[/quote]

I have not seen a video; but I do know that Peter Pit had contacted me about making duplicates of his dancing cane for him to sell. His untimely death put an end to that - I thought. But some time later a guy named Hugo approached me on the project as he had read my correspondence with Peter Pit. Any way, Hugo brought Peter's cane over for me to examine and take detailed measurements to better give him a price quote. I worked out all the required materials and came up with a price. I guess he wanted it made for nothing! I never heard back from him; but I do still have the measurements/drawings. I state this for historical purposes only. I am not showing the plans, selling them, nor making/selling his version of the dancing cane. So, please do not ask me - I'll just trash any email asking about this. It was and still is Peter's. It is a VERY nice cane design!
Jim
Dirk Losander has a good one for sale: http://www.losander.com
If you guys havn't seen Precision Magic's Dancing Cane then you are really missing out. Look for my Teaching Video on the Dancing Cane. It's called Dancing Cane 101. It will soon be reviewed in Genii Magazine. Also, I tried to include Mr. Pitt in my Dancing Cane DVD but he can never be in any videos due to licensing problems, but his student Hugo Wei contributed to Dancing Cane 101. If you want to see a Demo of Dancing Cane 101 go to: http://www.store.yahoo.com/magicmusicandmore-store/prmadaca.html
Dmann

Who is doing the demo on the link you posted as that is a lovely performance.

Paula
Why thank you very much Paula Jay ! I have to confess it is me David Mann.
It's wonderful to see so many great moves with the dancing cane. For years, I've used it in my shows.

Dancing in the key here, and some of us are klutzey.

David, I ordered the DVD to add to my collection. The demo sold me hands down.

Rick
Thanks for the encouraging words Rick and I hope you enjoy the DVD,
Dmann that is one heck of a performance and some cool moves with the hat in hand. Great job man I am buying the DVD.
cheers
Dsilverfield,
I don't think that you will be disappointed with the DVD. And again... thanks for the kind words.
Alright, there is an appearing Dancing Cane. I may sound stupid but, is there a vanishing cane as well? I have some great ideas to end the dancing cane routine with a vanishing cane. As you reach the end of your routine, the cane vanishes into a silk streamer or you vanish into your top hot, etc...
Bryan
Try a Fantasio disappearing cane, and you might try the Fantasio gimmick for dancing. I must warn you however that if there are any items that will be appearing as a result of the vanish of the cane, it may throw the cane off weight and make it extreemly difficult to perform the dancing. Also, it appears that if you intend to perform both the Appearing Dancing Cane and a cane that you can transform, then I believe you are going to have to exchange canes. I may be wrong! But most of what you were talking about performing is taught in the Fantasio Books about 35 years or so ago, If you need the resource.
David,

Just wanted to say publicly this is a superb DVD. I like the 'short' teaching of each move. 1 at a time, so that you're not overwhelmed, like in so many other DVDs.

Rick
Thanks Rick,
I just wish everyone could see the DVD. My sole goal was to help magicians move their skills along so that there may be a new generation performing this trick.
David that was an incredible performance-- awesome moves with the hat, my friend!! It definitely sold me on your DVD. :)

Angela
Angela,

I would advise getting David's cane too, as I did. The one I have can do most of the moves, but it seems with the new design of his cane, the moves come much easier.

And just wait until you get the DVD and see the whole performance, WOW. Now I wish I were a dancer LOL

Rick
Thanks for the advice Rick; I agree that the new design sounds pretty darn good. Ooh, and I can't wait to see the whole performance! 17 moves, right? That sounds like enough to keep me busy for a while.

Angela
Angela,
Thanks, for the compliments. I think if you really pay attention to the DVD you will find that there are more than the 17 moves that are taught. There are hidden moves that are meant to be found only by the astute performer of this art. By the way I think you will be satisfied with this cane!
I switched last summer to Losander's Floating Broom and I've never looked back! It is muc larger than the standard cane which has 2 big benefits. The first is that it is more visible and works better for a stage routine. The second and more important benefit to me is how it moves. It's larger size makes it possible to make it move much more slowly. It's very hypnotic. It's beautifully made, but quite fragile. I'm on my second broom due to a slight accident when my assistant tripped while packing after a show. I was able to patch it up enough to use as a practice broom, but it wasn't performance worthy after that spill. I guess a third benefit for me was that I found the broom to be more easily motivated for my character. I don't dress like a "traditional" magician and the cane just always looked so goofy in my hands. It never made any sense. The broom has an old handmade look to it, which works well for a tale of witchcraft or a Harry Potter theme. Anyone who is a serious student of the dancing cane would REALLY enjoy manipulating one of these. I still love practicing with my cane, but the moves feel even better with the broom. Just an alternative idea.
David,

By 'hidden' moves, I assume you mean the ones that aren't taught, but can be learned by watching your moves with the taught moves.

If so, then, yes, I've picked up one or two that way.

Rick
Very cool David... it's like how Hollingworth slips in a few things here and there for people who actually bother to read every single part of his book. :)
Angela and Ricker,
Your both right and your the first magicians to actually figure it out! Ta Da! By the way, Levitator you might take a look at the DVD there is something new for everyone who loves Dancing Cane or dancing anything for that matter!
Dmann, loved the video! You are so smooth and the cane fits your character perfectly! You showed some really creative alternative moves that I've never even thought about trying with the broom. The around the world move while taking your hat off was beautiful. That was my fiancee's favorite part of the routine. The production on the video was very classy also. I will be picking up the DVD next week when I get back home! The demo video alone gave me plenty to think about. Great stuff!
Levitator,
Thanks for your comments and praise. I bow my head and tip my hat to all of you!
David,
The demo was awesome! You just sold another DVD! Amazing Performance!
~Jessica
Thanks one all for your support!

I honestly didn't know how the Magic Fraternity would recieve the DVD, but I am so glad you all enjoy it!

Yours in Magic
David Mann
Dancing Cane is very good trick for the whole body!
You must control your hands and your body when the cane is floating, this is very important.
I make my own Dancing Cane and use very good thr*d.
The same as McBride 'Gutterman'.
Very solid and very strong.
I have an unidentified cane, and suspect it is a Peter Pit cane. It has a large ball shaped wooden knob, and shaft is made of black metal (aluminum) that folds into about 5 pieces, bungled together. Tip is pointed. Tiny hole(s) drilled thru cane nearer the knob end . Sound like a Peter Pit ?
[quote]On Dec 2, 2020, Hayre wrote:
I have an unidentified cane, and suspect it is a Peter Pit cane. It has a large ball shaped wooden knob, and shaft is made of black metal (aluminum) that folds into about 5 pieces, bungled together. Tip is pointed. Tiny hole(s) drilled thru cane nearer the knob end . Sound like a Peter Pit ? [/quote]

YES, that is the Peter Pit Dancing Cane, they sold for around $70.00.
I believe that the cane in question was not a Peter Pit Dancing Cane per se. It is credited rather to Jerry Benson. But Peter Pit did write the instructions for it.

Here's a link to one of my posts on the IBM Ring 103 Norfolk facebook page, where you will find Ed Mishell's review of the Jerry Benson Dancing Stick:
https://www.facebook.com/photo?fbid=3662128337143249&set=pcb.3683341905021417
As the ad copy says, the cane "can be produced from its plastic case, from a hat, from your jacket, etc." But it doesn't quite appear instantaneously like a Walsh or Harrakan Appearing Cane does.

The balance of the Benson cane is perfect. But the hardwood knob makes it a little weighty compared to the balsa wood Creekmore Dancing Cane and the Fantasio Dancing/Vanishing Cane.

If anyone has the Peter Pit instructions for the Jerry Benson Dancing Cane, I'd love to get some scans of them.

----- Amado "Sonny" Narvaez
So what could be the answer is that Peter Pit was using a Jerry Benson Dancing Cane. There is no mention that Pit's cane was made specially for him, or by him. It could have been a agreement that he helps sell the canes by using his name in the ads. Who knows. Peter Pit passed away many years ago.

As I said, my cane has 4 sections, and Peter could have requested that it be small enough to fit in his case for travel engagements. This one does look like it was fashioned from a stick blind people use to use. The sections are expanded like the blind walking sticks. It does not look like one continuous smooth rod. The cane tubing is 8-16' and the flared tubing at the 3 junctions is 9-16".
If I recall correctly, Peter had an endorsement arrangement with Jerry. I know for a fact that it was not the dancing cane that Peter used most often.
He showed me the cane he used one time when I visited him to ‘borrow ‘ some special invisible thread that he used with his performance cane.

His preferred cane was made up of only three segments that screwed together to create the full length cane. It was lightweight and he stored it in a special pouch with pockets... (rather like the kind that holds a roll of wrenches). He had a huge cone of thread that he got in Europe... very thin and strong. He generously offered to let me take as much of it as I wanted, which was just a bobbin or two. I think I have just a little left now...
Here's a link to the original ad for the Jerry Benson cane/walking stick and a photo of the Benson cane in my collection folded into the four sections.
The ad copy says "a walking stick suddenly appears"--but the the way that the cane "appears" is more like a Walsh Appearing Table than a Walsh Appearing Cane.
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=3682666151756134&set=p.3682666151756134&type=3&av=100000383576601&eav=AfYWSQ8Uv_bhzeuoREz8HpwcEK8_L0v2z9K8KUGVCp5-qQ3B2vTQXBVo1U7BBEA9-RA

As JNeal points out, Peter Pit endorsed the Benson cane, but it was not the cane he preferred to use in his act.
You can see the cane that Peter used at the beginning of the "Peter Pit: Memories" DVD at the beginning of this youtube link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPhlObwMCEc&t=11s
It looks to me like a classic black cane with white tips.

The rather sharp tip at the bottom of the Jerry Benson cane makes me think Benson may have designed it to resemble an Alpenstock--the kind of cane that people hiking in the Alps might use to ensure good footing.

----- Amado "Sonny" Narvaez
Note: I purchased the Jerry Benson Walking Stick from a used magic site. It did not have the "instructions by Ptere Pit" with it. I'd love to see the instructions that Peter wrote for it if anyone can send me scans of his write-up.
Although the use of canes in magic acts is waning... and there is a lot of advice here that I don't necessarily agree with... I do have to say that the best looking, lightest, professional cane on the market is sold here... http://www.wack-o-magic.com/dancingcane.html

No video, but 8 pages of instructions and a treatise on what many consider the proper use of the dancing cane. The late Eugene Poinc said these instructions are not only the best dancing cane instructions, but the best written instructions for a magic trick ever.
As far as the use of canes waning... a lot of people today, especially younger folks, probably have no idea what a cane -- as used in the dancing cane -- is. So to them it's probably just a stick.

Those canes were popular among "well-dressed gentlemen" for many years, from about the late 1600s to around the late 1930s or early 1940s, at which time regular use of formal wear began to fade out. Back then people knew what the canes were: not an aid to walking but a "prop" that rounded out your formal attire. Nowadays we rarely see white tie and tails except at diplomatic functions or the Nobel prize awards, or the occasional orchestra conductor.

I was fascinated by the dancing cane for years when I was a kid starting out, but it never made sense to me for a teenager to use a "prop" that was part of a white-tie-and-tails outfit, especially if I wasn't wearing one. Later, when I did my cards and doves act in white tie and tails, I did use a cane, but it didn't dance.

Oh, and BTW, I saw the Wack-o-Magic cane at Magic Live a few years ago. It was... well... awesome.
Xavier Mortimer has an amazing dancing cane routine that he performs with a broom. He teaches it, including how to make your own, on his wonderful Penguin Lecture.