(Close Window)
Topic: Bicycle regular to mini
Hello all, I was wondering if someone could refer me to an effect that shrinks a normal bike deck to a mini one? I was toying around with just accomplishing a switch but was wondering what my other options would be. Thanks for any input!
Has it to be e real mini deck afterwards?

If not; I'd suggest Mike Powers "Diminishing Returns": http://www.mallofmagic.com/prodpag2.html
You'll find a demo on youtube.
Bernd,

Thanks for the reply. I really like the effect you linked but yes I'm looking for a shrinking deck that does indeed shrink for good. I'm looking to pair it with a shrinking card box as a part of a larger card routine. Thank you!
Take a look at Don Englands Penguin Lecture, he opens with an effect that sounds a lot like what you are describing.
Ellusionist also has 2 tricks with its mini decks.
See Bro. John Hammon's [b]Deck in Parvo[/b] from [i]Kabbala ~ Volume 1 Number 5[/i]:

EFFECT - "A regular poker-size card case is introduced and opened. The performer has difficulty removing the cards and comments on how new cards are tightly packaged. After some minor difficulty, the cards are finally removed. Almost instantaneously the card case is shown to have transformed into a miniature card case."

NOTE: You will be left with a poker-sized deck and a cased miniature deck at the conclusion of the effect as described - but there is much that can be done from this position...that is up to you.
Here you go....http://youtu.be/AB8G2sCUXOc

This was shown to me back when I was starting out in '87. I was working at a restaurant/ night-club in Chicago and an elder magician pulled me aside and did this effect. Talking to him a few years ago and he doesn't recall where he learned the effect or knew whose it was....anybody know by chance?

Jeff
[quote]On Aug 24, 2014, merlin5150 II wrote:
Here you go....http://youtu.be/AB8G2sCUXOc

This was shown to me back when I was starting out in '87. I was working at a restaurant/ night-club in Chicago and an elder magician pulled me aside and did this effect. Talking to him a few years ago and he doesn't recall where he learned the effect or knew whose it was....anybody know by chance?

Jeff [/quote]

Dead link.
Try this one... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AB8G2sCUXOc&feature=youtu.be

Best Magical Regards,

Mark Williams
Thanks!

I wish I could've done it a little better, but you guys get the idea

Jeff
What Kaballah said.
[quote]On Sep 3, 2014, magicfish wrote:
What Kaballah said. [/quote]
Look what Mark Williams said....two posts above yours
Friggin awesome trick with the mirror! never seen it before
I liked the mirror effect too! Thanks for posting Mark Williams.
No problem and thanks.....its a killer when this is performed after a few regular card effects.

Jeff
One year late! But here's my idea...
Tommy Wonder had two different shrinking card box methods in his Book of Wonder vol 1. One of them requires constructing a complex gimmick, the other one is dead simple (also gimmicked, but really easy to construct) and both look good.

To shrink the deck, you can do the inverse of what Lance Burton does here: https://youtu.be/U126ElUvyz0?t=3m
I remember seeing a shrinking deck effect based on this same concept years ago in a Linking Ring issue, but I don't have a way of finding it right now.
Twice as effective with the misdirection on the left.
[quote]On Jun 25, 2014, BitterBrewerAZ wrote:
Hello all, I was wondering if someone could refer me to an effect that shrinks a normal bike deck to a mini one? I was toying around with just accomplishing a switch but was wondering what my other options would be. Thanks for any input! [/quote]

Brother Hammond Micro Macro, a great trick and easy to do. The late great Don Alan performed this all the time. I really like this original version.
Orlan,
Lance Burtons effect is convincing beceause the change in size appears after the perfect timed and misdirected switching of decks.
If you want to to change the size in the opposite direction, and use the small cards afterwards, you have to make the switch of decks just after the effect has taken place.
Not an easy task when all eyes are glued to the small cards.

I like the idea from Jeff with the mirror. In this case the actual switch has taken place even before the trick starts.
It reminds me of the beautiful Poul Harris effect Twilight where a little mirror is used to multiply coins in a very visual and capturing way.

Troels
Troels,
You can still do it the same way Lance did it- the only difference is that instead of spreading the deck the normal way, you would spread the short edges of the deck (similar to a game of solitaire).
Orlan,
Yes, I got that. And then you will finish with something that looks like a spread of mini cards.
But the original post from BitterBrewer asked for a method where the mini deck could be handled and placed in a mini card box.
With the Lance Burton method (which I suppose use the same principle as Diminishing Returns) you can't do anything but collecting the mini cards an immediately make them big again.

Troels
Ahh, that's because you're missing the switch! That's the reason I linked to the video. :)
My idea was to do the switch (done before the cards change size - just like in the video), then you spread the deck vertically (apparently a full size deck, everything looks normal), and the deck shrinks as you close the spread and turn it over. You can immediately spread the mini deck. It's a normal mini deck you can use and put in a mini card box.

You only need one full size top cover card (with a little prep work).
Makes sense?
It makes sense to me if you mean you spread the apparently full size deck with the cards turned in the direction of the spread making a narrow spread?
That is possible. Even if it looks a bit strange.
Try with a split deck.

regular deck to two mini decks
Can anyone provide a reference for the fantastic mirror effect above? LOVE IT!
Bob Kings Shrinker from Richards Almanac comes to mind for a shrinking deck effect.
Bob Solari has an effect called "Compressed".
There's a wooden version of a vanishing card box on the big auction now that says you can change a poker size deck to a mini deck...

Julie
I would love to meet the guy who thought up that mirror handling! That is very very clever!

Thanks for sharing, Ryan Lockwood