(Close Window)
Topic: Chris Philpott's "All Tied Up" with Steve Valentine
Hey Guys!

I recently shot a one-hour instructional video with my pal Steve Valentine for All Tied Up, an effect from my book Intimate Mysteries. Steve says of the effect "I think this can be one of the most powerful tricks you'll ever do impromptu with a deck of cards." Check out the attached video to hear Steve's story of how this effect brought someone to tears the very first time he performed it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W57w3WxMh-c

For a very limited time, Iím making this available for virtually free!

I'm doing this to cross-promote my novel, The Death Watch, a young adult adventure. All you have to do is buy a copy of the novel on Amazon (itís usually only about $3 for an ebook in the US) and post a rating and/or review (offer valid until July 31st). Iíll be releasing this video on its own in August (and it will definitely cost more than $3!) See the video for more details (and the trailers for the novel).

You can get The Death Watch here: http://www.amazon.com/Death-Watch-Chris-Philpott-ebook/dp/B00GY716NI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1402400516&sr=8-1&keywords=chris+and+bree+philpott It's a good, fast fun summer read!

Hope you enjoy them both!

-Chris
Will definitely order today! Take my money good sir.
Seems like a great deal, except we have to finish the book before we get the trick!
Good incentive, I have to say.
"Twelve years after the dead rose and the world ended..." That's all I needed to hear, definitely my type of book. Just bought it and will review it when I'm done. The effect sounds right up my alley too. I appreciate any different kind of marketing, so this is a win-win all around.
It's a good book and a good effect. I'm happy and happy.. I'm all happy :-)
I am reading a few pages before I have to go to bed for work in the morning. So intense, getting through this and reviewing isn't going to be a problem.
Annoying tune....
Fantastic book! I just posted my review on Amazon. When will the next book be out Chris?
James
How do you get the link to the video after reading the book and rating it?

Ian.
I'm still waiting for my video.. Already bought and reviewed, sent everything, via Magic Cafť PM, and still waiting .. lol
Think Chris Philpott might be away, I sent him a PM and email yesterday, nothing yet.
Received the link ! Will watch everything now =)
Yes, they are now all off (was in rehearsals all day today). Thanks for the reviews, guys!

-Chris
Just finished the book was fun and enjoyable read.. First time I finished a book in one sitting. Looking forward to the rest of the series.

Mike
I finished the book a few moments ago. Finished the majority of it last night in one sitting, loved the family dynamics and the firework ending.
I don't think I've ever read a book this quickly. It was great.

Now the trick will just be a bonus!
Btw, I'm assuming this is "The Roller Coaster" from Intimate Mysteries, yes?
Thanks, Mike, Blindside and Maddy! This is actually not "The Roller Coaster" though there is a quote from Steve saying it's his favorite effect in the book -- he gave me that quote with an earlier version that did not have "All Tied Up" in it.

btw, you don't need a Kindle to read Amazon e-books -- you can read them on a computer or other device.
Intimate Mysteries is one of the best books I've EVER owned.

It is just brilliant for giving participants great experiences which transcend magic tricks and/or mentalism and become pieces of life.

All Tied Up is just one routine among many.
and even though I already have The Death Watch, I may just buy it again, from Amazon in order to get to see the video of All Tied Up

Do yourselves a favour and either go for this super deal from Chris, or better still get Intimate Mysteries.

Have I ever steered you wrong?

steve
Thank you so much, Stephen!
I have this and adore this. The Death Watch is also a great book, so you're getting 2 great things+supporting an awesome creator! For all of those of you who own this, I have a little extra thing I add at the end of this. PM me with some type of proof, and you'll get my tip.

I'm telling you, this is really great and def worth supporting the creator!
Ive seen the video now.
Great alternative scripting and handling.

This is something that would fit into anyone's repetoire.
just tweak it to suit your style and persona.

steve
Thank you Sashac and Stephen!
Only six more days left for this offer. The Death Watch was well worth the reading time. Nice work Chris!
My review is up. Fun book,

Dan Manson
My review got posted today also.

Looking forward to the sequel.

Bob
Thanks Chris for the great offer. My rating/review is up :) I wish you all the best!
Thanks for the reviews, Dan, Bob and Ash! The links are sent.

If anyone is interested in this offer but is not sure they have time to read The Death Watch before the end of the month, just give me a heads up that you've bought the book and are planning on posting an Amazon review soon -- I won't be a stickler for the deadline.
I'm abut half way through Death Watch. It's really good. Chris is an excellent writer. Loved the opening scene and immediately could see it as an opening sequence to the film version. As for All Tied Up, this is a great idea for a wonderful presentation. Chris has many fantastic ideas for presentations.

You won't be sorry if you get any of Chris' works.

Greg
Thanks, Greg!
All,tied up,is outstanding, really impact people a lot and doesn't come across as a trick. It seems like real magic to them. And their destroying the card at the end seems to cinch the belief that it's real and not a trick. You can see in the video how,happy they are to,destroy the image that has been subliminally bothering them.
Message: Posted by: Magical Dimensions (Jul 30, 2014 01:07AM)
Just found this thread. I have done 'All tied up' a couple of times and really like it.

I will be getting the video when it comes out to check out any updates on this routine. Unless I miss that thread also!

Ray
Thanks, Ray and Magically Me --

One of the things that makes "All Tied Up" different than most magic tricks is that it was inspired by reading an article about unconventional but scientifically-proven ways of making people feel happier. I just happened to read it as I was writing "Intimate Mysteries" and I realized I could combine the "double koko" technique from that book with this idea. "All Tied Up" really does make people feel better. There are two effects I do where I frequently see people tear up and then I get hugged after the performance -- this is one of them.

Just a reminder that there is only a day left in this offer. If you want to take advantage of it but don't feel you have enough time to read the novel, just give me a PM that you bought the novel and intend on posting a review soon and I'll extend the deadline for you. Thanks!

-Chris
Just wanted to say, that I've gotten a flurry of last minute emails on this -- can't answer them all today, but rest assured I got them and you've made the deadline. Will respond in a day or two.

Thanks for making this so worthwhile!

-Chris
Message: Posted by: Magical Dimensions (Aug 2, 2014 02:04AM)
The reason that I didn't take you up on the offer is because I wouldn't have the time to order the book, read it and then write a review before the dead line.

So I am waiting for the release..... Sounds really great.

The first time that I did this routine and seeing the look in the persons eyes, was priceless.
Chris,
I know I won't like the answer to this question, but I gotta ask. "How much longer until the next book is released?"
Does anyone know if this routine is in Chris' book Intimate Mysteries? I have yet to hear back from him...

also there seams to some ad discrepancies...I think I have seen ads that say 21 effects are in the book and then others that say 18...were some things removed/added in second printings? Is this effect one of them?
For those who've read the book...I wouldn't recommend starting off with "So Vera, imagine you are tied up with ropes..." probably wouldn't go very well
Hey Magically Me --

Hoping to have the second book in the series out by the end of the year. And your inside joke made me laugh!

tmoca, just emailed you. I'll copy what I said in the email because I'm lazy:

Yes All Tied Up is in Intimate Mysteries. I had released an early version
of the book at a reduced price and asked people for feedback -- the effect
was not in that early version of the book. It was the last effect I added
to the book and in some ways, I feel it's the culmination of many of the
ideas in that book.

Once I published it, I discovered some variations including one that's a real
magician fooler (doesn't hit all the time, only about 40-50%, but if it doesn't
you just do the regular routine.) Then Steve started doing his variation
which is more wild and dramatic. Plus he's more a sleight of hand guy than I am
so he had all kinds of ideas regarding handling. These variations are
what's on the download.

Hope that clears this up. Thanks!

-Chris
Message: Posted by: Magical Dimensions (Aug 3, 2014 06:56PM)
Can't wait...... Oh, wait a second.... I guess that I do have to wait....

R
Chris,

If we purchase Intimate Mysteries the book, can we purchase the download for the additional ideas etc?
[quote]On Aug 5, 2014, bond19 wrote:
Chris,

If we purchase Intimate Mysteries the book, can we purchase the download for the additional ideas etc? [/quote]

I asked Chris the same question. :) He said that there will be a future release with Murphy's
I saw the download and this is REALLY good! I just put the book Intimate Mysteries in my wishlist.

KJ
Message: Posted by: Magical Dimensions (Aug 6, 2014 10:09PM)
[quote]On Aug 6, 2014, 1KJ wrote:
I saw the download and this is REALLY good! I just put the book Intimate Mysteries in my wishlist.

KJ [/quote]

Where did you see the video? I thought he wasn't sending anymore out until Murphy's sells it.

Eay
They had a free video for people who purchased and reviewed a fiction ebook that Chris wrote.

However, I just received the book 'Intimate Mysteries'. After reading the book, I really don't have much use for the viedo. the book has inspired some ideas with a similar plot.

I think "All Tied-Up" is really fantastic, but I don't think I would perform it that way. The problem, IMO, is the plot is a bit to "disturbing" for me. I don't like starting a magic routine with "Imagine you wake up and you are tied to a chair and your house has been broken into."

I created a different story line using the same thought process.

KJ
Yes, I want to put out the video but I've been kind of swamped with prepping for the Book of Monkeys (which just shipped from the binder and should arrive any day!)

Thanks for the kind words, 1KJ! Glad you came up with a presentation you like. I put in a number of different variations on the technique so people could either find something that worked for them or else see how malleable the method was so they could create their own 'double koko' using the basic structure. Iím not sure Iíve ever thought of 'All Tied Up' as disturbing Ė now 'The Dark House' definitely could be disturbing! (I wrote in the book, "When I first showed the manuscript around, one reader commented, 'this is so powerful it should really never be done'. I almost agree with that - it should certainly never be done lightly.")

But the hero imprisoned, often tied up, is a common archetypal situation (think of your typical action movie, including most James Bond films) and I'm not sure how many people find it disturbing. Certainly, when I do it people are intrigued, involved and (once they free themselves) moved, but no one's been disturbed. Of course if the scripting was concentrating on being tied up, that would be creepy, but when it's presented as a starting condition -- you're tied up after a robbery Ė and the whole narrative thrust of the piece is how to free yourself, then it has a very different feel: the piece becomes about liberation. It's a good theme Ė it worked for Houdini. ;)
Thanks for the insight, Chris. Maybe I should try it a few different ways. Your book has so many great plots and to my surprise, some effects with a whole different process/method. Great book!
KJ
Thanks so much, KJ!