(Close Window)
Topic: Human Skulls
Well, for starters, I have read a plethora of books, e-books, manuals etc on the artform that is bizarre magic and seances. I naturally fall into this area of entertainment because I have had paranormal experiences (see http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=550486&forum=14) and have been reading and telling ghost stories since I was a child.

One thing that I always see in almost every book/e-book/performance manual is the inclusion of a human skull.

My question is, where the hell do I get one?

From my research, there is option A, which involves me sneaking around with a shovel in a graveyard.

Option B which requires thousands of dollars.

And, option C which involves buying a replica, but I've seen none that could pass as the real deal.

Can anyone offer advice, or can someone PM me if they have an extra skull lying around?

Thanks!
This has been asked a few times in Spooky, try the search.

We most all have thought about this, but I've come to the conclusion, shouldn't remains be allowed to rest in peace ?

And, who are we to own other Human items ? (Real) JMO !

So, I say go with replica...
[quote]On Jul 6, 2014, Godzilla wrote:
This has been asked a few times in Spooky, try the search.

We most all have thought about this, but I've come to the conclusion, shouldn't remains be allowed to rest in peace ?

And, who are we to own other Human items ? (Real) JMO !

So, I say go with replica... [/quote]

Gary speaks the truth! I agree 100%
Read you loud and clear Godzilla. I'll use the search feature. And I agree, the remains should be laid to rest, but if the medical community and classrooms can have these on display without regrets, then the bizarrist should as well.

I would definately go with a replica, but it is hard to shop for them online due to the inability to judge texture, weight, appearance, etc from a web browser
Considering my sanctum sanctorum has about 28 skulls of various sorts - all replicas - I suggest you should not overlook your option C. The only real skull I have is a long horn steer over a fireplace as it looked kinda Mendes like.

Check out the simulation cadaver stores online... you'll find something.
[quote]On Jul 6, 2014, Poveglia wrote:
And I agree, the remains should be laid to rest, but if the medical community and classrooms can have these on display without regrets, then the bizarrist should as well.
[/quote]

I disagree. . .what does regret have to do with anything?

The medical community uses them to train future healers, not storytellers concerned about authenticity.
Another thing about Medical Skulls: They sometimes have numbers imprinted on them, and have other metal items added to keep the connection of the jaw.

I do own some animal skulls...
Well when I pass, I'll write it in my will that my skull gets sent off to a random bizarrist who is concerned about authenticity =P

Watch your mailbox afinemesh!

In all seriousness, I am willing to buy a replica, but like I said, it's hard to judge the most authentic looking and feeling replicas.

Even the posts I found here on the Café give links, but they still look "proppy" to me.

Plus, even if I wasnt a bizarrist and never, ever heard of magic or illusions or bizarre magic, I would still hop at the opportunity to buy a real skull. But I'm just a weirdo like that...
Well when I pass, I'll write it in my will that my skull gets sent off to a random bizarrist who is concerned about authenticity =P

In all seriousness, I am willing to buy a replica, but like I said, it's hard to judge the most authentic looking and feeling replicas.

Even the posts I found here on the Café give links, but they still look "proppy" to me.

Plus, even if I wasnt a bizarrist and never, ever heard of magic or illusions or bizarre magic, I would still hop at the opportunity to buy a real skull. But I'm just a weirdo like that... [/quote]

"random bazarrist?"
[quote]On Jul 6, 2014, afinemesh wrote:

Plus, even if I wasnt a bizarrist and never, ever heard of magic or illusions or bizarre magic, I would still hop at the opportunity to buy a real skull. But I'm just a weirdo like that... [/quote]

"random bazarrist?" [/quote]

It's late...been a long week...
I donated my body to science when I die. I wonder if my head will end up for sale!
Do you want the skull for a prop,routine,impress the ladies ?

Here is an idea: Halloween will be coming up, check out the Halloween stores.

Get, a Styrofoam skull(some look really good), put it in a locked display case, and Jazz the Skull and case up.
You do not really want to be handing out props for exam !
This way, specs will not know if real or not...only, you will know the truth !
All the skulls in the background of my videos have been cheap replicas.

Although late one night in the Players Club of NYC I was shown Edwin Booth's Bedroom at the top of the Stanford White Mansion.
In a bedroom chest of drawers were many human skulls...the heads of actors who had donated their skulls to play Yorick in future Hamlet productions.
Alas.
I'm not sure using a skull in a routine will lend any credibility or even be appropriate. I think it would cheapen any performance that's just my opinion.
Avoid skulls or risk being a parody. Unless you are high voodoo priest and can pull that off.
If you're on facebook you can join several groups who deal, swap and trade in bones of many different types including human remains. I don't feel there is a issue using them, I would love one myself. In fact I've had my eye on a kapala and thigh bone trumpet for a while now in a local antique shop, hoping my wife will surprise me and get it for me as a gift. Good luck.
Real is what you make it.... check out the skulls used for Yorick in Hamlet plays.

I think I might leave my body to science fiction (nod to RD).
I have bought skull from this company - all replicas but very convincing and great attention to detail. Normally the skulls are mummified but I'm sure you can talk to them about any type you might like. They were great to work with and I'm thrilled with my skull.

http://www.reliquaryimpressions.com/welcome-to-reliquary-impressions/

Good luck with your search!

Lo Pan
[quote]On Jul 6, 2014, Darkness wrote:
I'm not sure using a skull in a routine will lend any credibility or even be appropriate. I think it would cheapen any performance that's just my opinion.
Avoid skulls or risk being a parody. Unless you are high voodoo priest and can pull that off. [/quote]

Thank you. . .
Check out http://www.skullduggery.com They have human skull replicas listed under High End Replicas, Contemporary Replicas. The skulls are $143 or $176 with a stand.

I have seen some of their animal skulls and they look very realistic. I do not know how fragile these reproductions are, but the company might be able to give you more information.
Thanks everyone....let the skull shopping commence...
The big ethical question for me is the origins of the skeletal remains in question. You are talking about a person, let's not forget that. This is someone's loved one. How would you feel having you mum, dad, brother, sister, child, etc; being used as a prop? People get very steamed about intellectual property around here (and rightly so), how much more steamed do you think people would get about the use of their relative's remains?

So who is this person you wish to add to your collection? Are they someone who donated themselves for medical/ scientific research? Are you using them in accordance with their wishes? Or are you really desecrating their remains?

Are these remains stolen? Are they an executed Chinese criminal, who still has living, grieving relatives, whose remains are sold to recover costs?

Is the decorated Tibetan skull a stolen one, sold on the black market?

So do you know the origins of the HUMAN remains you are proposing to add to your collection and would you be ok with me adding your family members remains to MY collection, under the same circumstances?
I have a friend who visited the bone church near Prague. He found someone making excellent replica skulls and other bones, he still has the address, let me know if you want it.
Quality skull replicas.
http://www.skullshoppe.com
OK, this thread was not made to be a controversial debate topic and I am not going to debate the ethics of keeping a skull lying around, because I've already stated that I will (and most likely) buy a replica.
George- sure I'm interested! PM me price range and quality

Intrepid- Thanks for the link!
Http://www.dappercadaver.com

I toss that in since everyone has started adding resources - there was also some other sideshow gaff places that went out of business sadly :(
Poveglia,

My post isn't specifically directed at you, please don't take it as an attack. Other people may well read this thread in the future with thoughts of buying a real skull, so I thought it wise to post some points for those considering that course of action should think about prior to purchasing human remains. I'm off my soap box now and back under my rock :)
Brynmore,

You are fine, don't worry about it!
I would have to go with Godzilla on this, I believe real human remains should rest in peace and should not be used as any kind of prop. I turned down purchasing a life size human skull a few years ago, I was looking for a skull to animate with my electronics - I always go for the replicas - below is a clip of me using one as such...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lo7pIXJvlRg

Chuck Caputo :bat:
[quote]On Jul 7, 2014, Anverdi-museum wrote:
I would have to go with Godzilla on this, I believe real human remains should rest in peace and should not be used as any kind of prop. I turned down purchasing a life size human skull a few years ago, I was looking for a skull to animate with my electronics - I always go for the replicas - below is a clip of me using one as such...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lo7pIXJvlRg

Chuck Caputo :bat: [/quote]

Yet, another voice of reason. Thank you, Chuck
My post seems to have been deleted.

A true account, non controversial,

and yet, it has been deleted even though it was on topic and contained no vulgarities.

Kotah
Try nhere:

http://www.anatomywarehouse.com/catalogsearch/result/?cat=0&q=skulls

They carry training materials for medical schools and such. Not cheap, but highly detailed.
Here they specialize in Belgian skulls.
https://www.etsy.com/listing/115839827/100-chocolate-skulls-anatomically
Yum!
Yummy!
Decadent!
I do want a Brazilian Female Skull... with skin,hair,and the rest of her body inside and out attached ! LOL

Yummy

YES, Living !

Oh, and some of the skulls Eddie posted !
Yummy that too ! :-)
Here is a link to just one company's skull replica page: http://www.boneclones.com/catalog-human-adult-skulls.htm
They look quite authentic and some are already painted to look natural.
"So Crossed Bones Cemetery remained undisturbed and forgotten for 150 years ― We like to think of a cemetery as a place where the dead rest in peace for Eternity. In fact, Eternity is for about 200 years if the bodies get in the way of Progress."

This is from my story for TOD. The catacombs of Paris are filled with the bones from church cemeteries around the city. The bones were exhumed in the 1800's because the land for the cemeteries was needed (or more valuable) as the city grew. Touring the catacombs is now a tourist attraction; my wife and I have made the tour.
[quote]On Jul 8, 2014, Bill Fienning wrote:
"So Crossed Bones Cemetery remained undisturbed and forgotten for 150 years ― We like to think of a cemetery as a place where the dead rest in peace for Eternity. In fact, Eternity is for about 200 years if the bodies get in the way of Progress."

This is from my story for TOD. The catacombs of Paris are filled with the bones from church cemeteries around the city. The bones were exhumed in the 1800's because the land for the cemeteries was needed (or more valuable) as the city grew. Touring the catacombs is now a tourist attraction; my wife and I have made the tour. [/quote]

Been there, done that... with a shopping list. I showed it to the tour guide, he didn't think I was funny. Go figure?
Message: Posted by: MentalistCreationLab (Jul 8, 2014 11:25AM)
Here is a specimen in the private collection that is an older medical specimen, this one has all of its teeth including wisdom teeth which is very rare and hard to find. It also has its own packing original case. This specimen was used in medical education.

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa120/bllmontana/100_2175_zps644de72e.jpg

Now truthfully for most magical uses you are not going to be able to tell the difference between a good quality cast replica and the real thing. Except for the price tag on like this specimen can easily set one back about 2000.00 to 2500.00 and up. Compare the one shown to a quality replica which you can easily find a great quality replica of museum quality for around 175.00 to 300.00 depending on builder the choice is a no brainer unless your in to collecting stuff such as this then my advice is buy the nicest one you can find. Which will take awhile as good quality skulls are hard to find. Many of the skulls on the market are missing teeth and have other forms of damage. Also if the skull is brown in color it proablly came from a grave yard and was stolen. These brown skulls are something one should not buy as it may be illegal to own. Unless is very early and hundreds of years old such as the elongated skulls that appear from time to time for sale but these are even more money.
One thing that I always see in almost every book/e-book/performance manual is the inclusion of a human skull.
[/quote]
My experience has been the opposite. I can't recall a single bizarre magic book/routine that makes use of a skull. But then again I might have just missed those references, or just plain forgot about it. Out of curiosity, what books have you come across with this?

Bob
I own several skulls from The Skull Shoppe which has been mentioned previously and they are excellent even up close. I have a collection of bones both human and animal and it is difficult to tell the difference without actually handling them. In many cases since actual bones are boiled and bleached the aging on The Skull Shoppe skulls looks more theatrically "correct" and are not nearly as delicate. I highly recommend them. The standard "bucky" skulls look fairly good though they need some work done to age them. Gel stain and some dust works well. Most theatrical supply companies sell artificial dust (it does seem silly to buy dust though once you've used it you find a thousand uses for it)

The problem with the bucky skulls is that any run of the mill haunter can spot it at a mile. If you really want something that makes people think "that might be real" the Skull Shoppe would be my recommendation.

Cheers!
[quote]On Jul 8, 2014, Bill Fienning wrote:

This is from my story for TOD. The catacombs of Paris are filled with the bones from church cemeteries around the city. The bones were exhumed in the 1800's because the land for the cemeteries was needed (or more valuable) as the city grew. Touring the catacombs is now a tourist attraction; my wife and I have made the tour. [/quote]

I was actually just there 2 months ago! That place is definitely cool! I bought a skull shaped black candle in the gift store outside.

I think I enjoyed the Paris catacombs more than the other touristy places in Paris.
I was very lucky to find two human skulls at a doctors estate sale along with a human spine and other human bones. one of the skulls has lots of medical writing on it in Latin that make it really creepy! I used to have a replica and I have to say that there is no way that any replica can compare to the real thing. So many parts in a human skull are so thin and fragile especially in the sinus areas. Also, real human skulls are very porous. Even people who have never seen or held a skull can tell which one is the real deal.

Vanity Wilde
"3 Skulls Donated To Seattle-Area Thrift Store"

[url]http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/07/10/goodwill-store-skulls_n_5574827.html[/url]
Now if only I lived in Seattle!

Vanity, Long time no see! How have you been?
[quote]On Jul 10, 2014, vanitywilde wrote:
I used to have a replica and I have to say that there is no way that any replica can compare to the real thing. So many parts in a human skull are so thin and fragile especially in the sinus areas. Also, real human skulls are very porous. Even people who have never seen or held a skull can tell which one is the real deal.
[/quote]
I wouldn't recommend hand out a replica for the specs to touch for the reasons vanity noted above. The feel won't fool anyone. A replica is best displayed from inside a glass case. Or a wood framed box with the old wavy glass, now that would look awesome.
[quote]On Jul 6, 2014, Godzilla wrote:
put it in a locked display case, and Jazz the Skull and case up.
You do not really want to be handing out props for exam !
This way, specs will not know if real or not...only, you will know the truth ! [/quote]

I touched base on this earlier, Intrepid ! :-)
Just goes to reaffirm the fact that you and I really were separated at birth.
Tell mom I said hi. ;-)

- Your forgotten brother Bob
Not Forgotten, Bro ! :-)
Another option is a mesoamerican crystal skull, which would make for some interesting stories.
[quote]On Jul 10, 2014, Mind Guerrilla wrote:
"3 Skulls Donated To Seattle-Area Thrift Store"

[url]http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/07/10/goodwill-store-skulls_n_5574827.html[/url] [/quote]

And it's happened again. This time in Austin, TX...

[url]http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/08/28/human-skull-goodwill_n_5730760.html[/url]
We are in a culture where some people are obsessed with skull imagery because they think its cool. I say forget about skulls people, not only is it lame and over used but also clearly out of hand. As long as we glorify it they will come...
Message: Posted by: Michael_MacDonald (Aug 29, 2014 05:55PM)
Http://www.museumstorecompany.com/Human-Male-Skull-with-Stand-p6377.html?utm_source=google-shopping&utm_medium=organic&gclid=CLTb--nEucACFURgfgod9L0ANw
We all own at least one human skull ;)
Sorry to hear that :) I have one skull too and its broken...
[quote]On Jul 7, 2014, Eddie Garland wrote:
Here they specialize in Belgian skulls.
https://www.etsy.com/listing/115839827/100-chocolate-skulls-anatomically
Yum! [/quote]

Yep, and I hate when it's a hot day.
One thing no one has mentioned yet. Real Skulls scream at night.
By the way...when I wrote the book SCARY DARK RIDES, I didn't add this piece of info as I wasn't positively sure...but I kind of am now (hehe)

But the Imagineers unhappy with the fake skeletons they made, contracted with UCLA and brought in REAL Human skeletons and skulls etc for PIRATES OF THE CARRIBBEAN. They were eventually replaced again with more realistic fakes BUT I know of one set that is still there and part of the ride...heh heh heh...:pirate:

Back in the day there wasn't all that much sensitivity and touchy feely goin' around...as a kid I had a real skull and nobody gave it much thought except it was COOL (translate I was cool.) :heavymetal:
Http://www.pyewackettandpecke.com/collections/latest-greatest/products/replica-female-human-skull
It's all good folks...I now own a human skull. Not a fake either. I know all the sensitive types are going to holler at me for having this but the skull seems relatively happy where he is. At least he is seeing more human interaction now than he would be in the ground...muhahah!
And, I just ordered a Couple of 'Dog Skeletons' (Plastic) for Halloween !

For, the 'Old Bone Yard' .