(Close Window)
Topic: Better newspaper tear
After attending I.B.M. ring 96 meeting this past Saturday and hearing Robert Baxt lecture I purchased his newspaper tear effect by the above mentioned name.
All I can say is it is great! After having worked with it a little Saturday evening and a lot more today, I feel as if I am totally ready to perform this at my next performance (whenever that is).
BUT, I did perform it for some family today (it's my birthday today, so I had company) and it went over fantastic!!!
The set-up is so easy, simple and mess free and even more cool is the restoration display... it happens instantly in a flash as opposed to unfolding. Has anyone else purchased this effect? If so, let me know your thoughts or performance experiences please.
Also it is'nt cheap but it allows for a terrific and very clean handling. If you do a torn and restored newspaper effect or if you are thinking about adding this effect to your arsenal, check out Robert Baxts "Better Newspaper Tear".
Besides Robert is a great guy too and is quick to assist with any problems or answer any questions.

GlenD
Glen,
The effect sounds great! But for $100, this item probably requires a demo to sell it.

There's been a lot of interest lately in Richard Osterlind's "Signed Torn and Restored Newspaper" on his Mind Mysteries DVD (Vol 4)... effect described below. The DVD costs $35 and includes 6 other tricks. Osterlind's performance and explanation are outstanding!

"Any page is selected from a newspaper and signed by a spectator. The paper is torn in half five times and then restored. The signed paper is then returned to the spectator to keep as a souvenir. What's more, the performer is totally clean at the effect's conclusion. This effect has been fooling the best minds in magic for over 15 years and is finally being released!"

Regards,
DaveS
GlenD,

It is just a quicker and less messy way to set up the standared T & R Newspaper by Gene Anderson.
Glen,

That is why you paid the high price, to be exclusive. Enjoy it while it lasts. If you are happy with it, what else counts.

I do not own or a desire to own this version, I have 10 other versions to pick from in my magic collection.

Bill
I also have about 10 different ways to perform the "torn and restored" effect, and this is the simplest to set up. I bought mine used, so I didn't pay full price. If you do the Gene Anderson version, you know how to do this...it just makes set-up much easier to prep. I recommend it!

Steve Thomas
I too think Baxt's version is wonderful. I use it all the time.

oliver
I am very happy with it and looking forward to incorporating this into my routine. I know there are other much cheaper ways of doing newspaper effects and torn and restored stuff. To each their own, but I really love how quick and easy this is to set up.

I was a little surprised to see how quickly this post originally got buried without any replies. I noticed at Hocus Pocus they currently have a bunch of newspaper stuff right now.
Anyways thanks for the repsonses everyone.

GlenD
I currently use the Slydini T&R newspaper. It requires minimal set-up. You rip the paper to shreads and in the blink of an eye it is totally restored.
I see no reason to use any other.
[quote]
On 2004-01-31 00:20, davidpaul$ wrote:
I currently use the Slydini T&R newspaper. It requires minimal set-up. You rip the paper to shreads and in the blink of an eye it is totally restored.
[/quote]

Slydini tear is not minimal set-up. Pat Page's 10 Second tear is the fastest one to prepare. Slydini still has a lot of prep work. I remember the effect as being discribed in the book as a gradual visual/slow restoration, not a fast restore.

Bill
[quote]
On 2004-01-31 00:20, davidpaul$ wrote:
[/quote]

Who sells the Slydini version? Anything by Slydini gets my attention!
Not sure of the name of the version I use, ilke most, I have several versions on file, but use is from the book," practical sorcery" it takes about 10 minutes (if you are slow like me0)to make the gimmick, then reuse it 10-to 20 times, flash opening is part of the routine, I love it and use no other, at the local ring meeting, 15 guys offered to buy the manuscript, after I presented it at a meeting.final note, I got the book af a magic flea market for a buck,,,,,
Wmhegbli/ Bill I have to disagree with you Bill. I've been performing this effect for years and it is minimal set up time and restores in a flash....
Rocco explains the effect taught to him by Slydini on
the VHS tape International Magician's Society's " The Best of the Best #10 by Rocco.
For those familiar with both the Baxt method using his gimmick and the more traditional (so to speak) method taught by Gene Anderson, can anyone answer this:

Assuming one is willing to spend the $100 for the Baxt gimmick, is there any disadvantage to it over the Gene Anderson method? And when I say disadvantage, I mean from the SPECTATOR's point of view? I love the way the restoration looks (i.e., to the audience) with the Anderson method. I also love the way you can page through the newspaper after the restoration and show the audience that it's the same paper.

How does Baxt compare in these regards?

Steve Hoffman
[quote]
On 2004-02-01 00:02, davidpaul$ wrote:
Wmhegbli/ Bill I have to disagree with you Bill. I've been performing this effect for years and it is minimal set up time and restores in a flash....
Rocco explains the effect taught to him by Slydini on
the VHS tape International Magician's Society's " The Best of the Best #10 by Rocco.
[/quote]

Excuse me, "Slydini Torn and Restored Newspaper" is published in "The Magic of Slydini", chapter 14, page 201. Written by Lewis Ganson. Your original post did not mention Rocco, I am sure he has added his features to Slydini's. I consider glueing and folding and advance preparation more then minimal setup.

We can agree to disagree.

Bill
Thanks for everyone here, I learnt a lot.
If the restoration looks good, I don't care to do more preparation. May be this is just me.

Yours,
Michael Lam
This whole thing obviously depends on your working situations , if your are the big show worker I would say stick to the gene anderson , I do the gene anderson version and I'm happy messing around with glue cutting papers , waiting for glue to dry out ect ect ,

but on the other hand , if you are a hopping around or working on a stand in the streets and you havent got the time to mess around with your portable glue stick and handy scissors then this thing is a must for you
Anyone have "No Tear" I was thinking of getting it. PM me and let me know.
I have the "No Tear" and it's just the same as Baxt's version. I went to his lecture about a month ago and I really saw no difference in his version vs. the "No Tear" one.
Pat Page's 10-second paper tear (and Alan Shaxon's, which is an improved version) are great for LESS SETUP TIME.

Seabrooke swears by the Slydini version.
I have only performed the Gene Anderson Newspaper tear. It is a great routine with moderate preparation. It has been my closer for 15 years.
I have bought and researched many methods for this effect. Pete Biro is right about Pat Page's version, which is typically the version I use because of set-up time. I like the flash restoration of Gene Anderson, but do not like the time it takes to set it up.

I have "No Tear." It is good.

I recently bought Bill Goldman's restored newspaper. Though it does not utilize a tear, it is really an excellent version. One I use in appropriate settings. The presentation/patter is really good, though I change it to suit me. As well the paper can be handed out at the end of the performance.
I too like the Slydini version. I played with Gene Anderson’s version and the set-up was pretty weighty. I have enough to do between shows, actually that's why I stopped doing any newspaper tear all together. But if it went back in I would go with Slydini's version, although it takes gluing and set up, it is less than the Anderson. The plus for the Anderson restoration is the flash, which is a very pretty restoration. But I wonder if non-magician audiences would differentiate between the two because it is the plot they remember.
I did Al Koran's version featuring the "flash restoration" for years, having learned it from one of the Routined Manipulation books by Lewis Ganson, then all of a sudden Gene Anderson "invented" it and everybody was doing it. Because of that, for awhile I used Alex Elsmley's version where the torn edges magically "vanish" as the paper is restored. But, the flash restoration is just too strong to not use.

As of late, I have used Baxt's version simply because it is a fast, convenient set-up and genrerates the same effect as Koran's. The "No Tear" is not the same trick. I think the actual tearing adds immensely to the effect. That is not done with "No Tear." Instead pieces already torn are shown and restore ala Koran.

Sldyini's and Al Baker's are two other very good approaches. I think Koran's original idea of the flash restoration is the best finish as it does get audible gasps from the audience when it happens. Oddly enough, that same approach does not work well with a torn and restored playing card.

Remember when Doug Henning did the torn and restored newspaper on a very early special? He used the flash restoration and made it popular among magicians to this day.
NO TEAR GETS MY VOTE !!! Do a search under No tear Gags & routines their you will find some funny one liners that will make this presentation a winner . I love performing this effect with the gags. NO Mess simple to do !
Gene Anderson does credit Al Koran with the flash restoration. Gene's setup actually is better than the Koran setup.

I have done the Anderson tear for well over 25 years. I probably won't change now, because I have my own twists and kinks for it. I will pass this one on to anyone who thinks it takes too long to set up between shows.

I was doing it a total of 8 times per day at the Texas Renaissance Festival. That was a Saturday and Sunday performance thing, so I would set up 8 complete setups ready to go and 8 refills. I did this on Thursday night or Friday afternoon. That way, I didn't have to mess with it at the Festival. I would Do my shows, and then Saturday night, I would reload all of the setups, so I would be ready for Sunday. It made the setup time a breeze.

When I did it at trade shows, I would count the number of presentations I would do each day and divide that by 2. I would set up enough to do half the shows and an equal number of refills. When I got halfway through, I would take a break and refill the papers.

The term for this is "prop management!"
[quote]
On 2004-08-10 00:49, runawayjag wrote:

As of late, I have used Baxt's version simply because it is a fast, convenient set-up and genrerates the same effect as Koran's. The "No Tear" is not the same trick. I think the actual tearing adds immensely to the effect. That is not done with "No Tear." Instead pieces already torn are shown and restore ala Koran.

[/quote]

If you have "No Tear" then you would know that you can TEAR the newspaper. The instructions gives TWO ways of performing it, with out tearing and WITH tearing.
I had them all. 'No tear' is the easiest. I think the idea first came from Bill Goldman.
Richard Lyn
I'm partial to the Elmsley and Shaxon versions. The restoration in the Elmsley one is great for the talking performer. If you're going to be doing the tricks 10 times a day, the Shaxon version is better if you like to have some extra free time during the day.
[quote]
On 2004-08-10 02:37, Bill Palmer wrote:
Gene Anderson does credit Al Koran with the flash restoration. Gene's setup actually is better than the Koran setup.

I have done the Anderson tear for well over 25 years. I probably won't change now, because I have my own twists and kinks for it. I will pass this one on to anyone who thinks it takes too long to set up between shows.

I was doing it a total of 8 times per day at the Texas Renaissance Festival. That was a Saturday and Sunday performance thing, so I would set up 8 complete setups ready to go and 8 refills. I did this on Thursday night or Friday afternoon. That way, I didn't have to mess with it at the Festival. I would Do my shows, and then Saturday night, I would reload all of the setups, so I would be ready for Sunday. It made the setup time a breeze.

When I did it at trade shows, I would count the number of presentations I would do each day and divide that by 2. I would set up enough to do half the shows and an equal number of refills. When I got halfway through, I would take a break and refill the papers.

The term for this is "prop management!"
[/quote]
Bill, thanks for the advice. For me it's just a personal issue with set up. I know that you can make up multiple sets ahead of time. Trust me, I understand "prop management!", I have multiple silk fountains and other items that don't reset instantly. It's just that I don't want more of that in my show right now. Plus I never liked the way the newsprint came off on the hands. I know that there is a spray to prevent that, but that just adds another element to the set up. It's a great trick and I encourage anyone to do it, it's just not for me at the moment.
Alan Shaxon's paper tear can be done pretty much surrounded. I've never been convinced by the angles on the Anderson tear. I've seen several magicians flash the gimmick during the restoration when I was sitting towards the edge of the audiece.
I've seen the Anderson tear perfromed twice, and each time the gimmick flashed. I have used the Shaxon tear completely surrounded. Works in the real world situation.
To Nelson,

I do have both the Baxt and "No Tear," and know that the instructions mention the tearing part, but the name itself implies why you are buying that one. The "convenience" of not tearing any sheets makes for an easier, obviously quicker set trick. If you go the Tear Route you've basically got the Koran tear with a different gimmick. Baxt's is better IF you are going to do the tear.

Any other questions?
I like Baxt.

The performance and instruction disk that comes with it is worth the extra jack.

Done properly, I just can't imagine a TEAR routine that is more foolproof.
I just saw the Mark Mason version, and it is really cool.
I see that Mark Mason is taking credit for the "No Tear" in his website ad. You can still see Tony Stevens name on the package itself. Not sure what to make of it.
Actually the website is <www.magiclegends.com> so maybe they took a few liberties when describing items available from Mark Mason.
Jim Tighe - I believe Mark Mason bought the rights to it from Tony Stevens and it is now his so to speak.

I noticed in the video demo for the Baxt Tear he does not go through all the pages or show them very freely after the restoration. Is it possible to do so? Thank-you,

Joe
Yes, it's definite possible to go through all the pages with baxt tear after restoration. if you know anderson's method, you can easili adapt it to baxt's.
using my baxt gimmick, I use two whole sheets of newspapers (as opposed to 1 and a half sheet as shown in the baxt video). baxt told me he also uses two whole sheets now.
Strong gimmiks for Baxt.

Weak gimmiks for No tear when compared to Baxt's.
Once you make up he initial gimmick, the Joel Bauer "Trade Show" newspaper tear is incredibly fast to set up. Joel did it over and over in Trade shows, taking a matter of six or eight seconds to get ready for the next performance. (I used the past tense because Joel now does Origami in his trade show gigs.)
The not yet released Chuck Mignosa Newspaper Tear has some interesting features. It's essentially the Anderson paper tear, but there is no cutting, tearing, or gluing needed. And, you start by having a spectator bring an ungimmicked paper to the stage. After the restoration, the paper is returned to the spectator. (No, he's not a stooge, and will really arrive and leave with an ungimmicked paper.)
Chuck is working on the release of this, with Gene Anderson's knowledge and consent. Baxt did not have permission from Gene.
Denny
Dennis,
I'd like to remind you and all the readers of this forum that as previous writers to this forum have already pointed out (among them the esteemed Bill Palmer) that Gene Anderson's Tear is Al Koran's method, written up in Lewis Ganson's book "Routined Manipulations" published over 40 years ago. Gene admits this in his manuscript, and Gene's main change was replacing the Koran method, a bent sheet of metal, with his wire gimmick.
My method also is based on the Al Koran method (though an extremely faster set-up), and does not use the Koran bent metal sheet or the wire gimmick that Gene came up with; therefore I felt no need to ask his permission. BUT, I DID SAY WONDERFUL THINGS ABOUT HIM REPEATEDLY, OVER AND OVER, IN THE INSTRUCTIONAL DVD TO MY TRICK! That's because I'm a nice guy.
Dennis, you don't seem like such a nice guy because you accuse me of not having permission from Gene that I did not need. And further proof of your nature may be that you manufacture and sell chop cups. It's generally agreed that chop cups were invented by magician Al Wheatley who performed as "Chop-Chop", an asian magician. DID YOU ASK PERMISSION FROM AL WHEATLEY OR HIS ESTATE WHEN YOU MADE YOUR CHOP CUPS? Did you at least say nice things about him in your instructions as I did about Gene?
I didn't think so.
The morals for today:
¥ People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.
¥ Pots calling kettles black should have their facts straight.

This is all I have to say on the matter. I do have a life, and have no more time to spare lecturing you Dennis on this subject. For those who are interested, Dennis made similar unfounded claims on the Genii Forum a few months back. I wrote a long response there to which Richard Kaufman the publisher of Genii wrote: "Considering the unsubstantiated claims made by Dennis Loomis, and the clearly made points by Robert Baxt, I consider the matter closed."
I do too. I will give no further comments.

Robert
Hello, magicians.

I personally know Robert, and have joined his wonderful lecture. I have never heard that magicians and acquaintances speak ill of him except Mr. Loomis. Robert is the guy who knows and is trusted.
Has anyone tried using the method supplied with "No Tear" for actually tearing the newspaper? For my first few attempts, the supplied gimmick was not strong enough to hold two full pages of newspaper.

I'd love to hear from someone that is actually using this method.

Steve Seguin
London, ON
[quote]
On 2004-10-22 23:24, steve_seguin wrote:
Has anyone tried using the method supplied with "No Tear" for actually tearing the newspaper? For my first few attempts, the supplied gimmick was not strong enough to hold two full pages of newspaper.

I'd love to hear from someone that is actually using this method.

Steve Seguin
London, ON
[/quote]
In my experience, I could not tear two full sheets using "No Tear" and have it work. Also, in my experience, "No Tear" is good for what it is marketed to do; show a few pieces and then magicially they become one paper. It is a good product for the price.

I have purchased 6 different routines/methods for this effect and researched a few more. By far I have found Baxt's version to be the most practical and effective for my performances. I use "Better Newspaper Tear" doing street work and have found it too, to be most reliable.
Jim
Hello all,

I have to agree to Jim. I also bought Baxt's tear and its really great. The supplied gimmick is quite strong and when performing the trick you are absolutely on the safe side. I also have the "No tear" gimmick and I couldn't get it to work with this routine.
One very important aspect with Baxt's tear IMHO is the teaching DVD. This DVD has been extremely usefull to me and to be honest this justifys the price.
Also I had some questions after I bought the trick and Robert immediately helped me, so you also get a great support (THANKS Robert!).
And for crediting Gene (which was extensively discussed here on the forum): I can see nothing wrong with Baxt's version, there is so much crediting of Gene on the DVD you can nearly call it a "celebration" :)
Now lets put it together: You will get a set of great gimmicks that will last a life-time, a great instructional DVD and also support if any questions are left. I wish every magic effect would have these features....

Greetings from Munich,
Oli
I second the motion for Bill Goldman's routine. It is in one of the "Bar and Grill" manuscripts. It's a no-tear where you can hand out the paper at the end. Very cool and practical.

BTW - didn't Bauer re-invent a method already published or in use??

Mike
To Robert Baxt,
I agree that it's time to put this to bed. I do however, feel that I need o respond to your comments about me. I did not say that you are not a nice guy. I don't know you, and I'm willing to accept that you probably are. I think you made a mistake in not getting Gene's permission. But it was nothing more. Heck, Bob, I didn't even say that you needed it... I just said that you didn't have it. But, I want the readers of the Café to know that my comments were not unfounded. I've been a close friend of Gene Anderson for over thirty years and I have it directly from him that you did not either ask or notify him in advance. You yourself know that to be true. It was not meant as an "accusation." It's a simple matter of fact. And anyone that wants to know how he feels about your paper tear can visit http://www.25offmagic.com On this site, Bill Nagler quotes from an email he got from Gene: "in dr anderson 's words, “baxt takes the effect to lower ground, yielding a torn and restored where you are ripped off both financially and theatrically.”

If anyone still believes that my clain that Baxt did not have Gene Anderson's permission is false, then they can contact Gene, or his friends Tony Chaudhauri or Bill Nagler. If you read Baxt's response, you'll see that he does not deny it. He does claim that he didn't need it. That's another argument and who knows... maybe he's right. I never said that he did. But, he did use Gene's name and picture over and over again in the Instructional DVD that came with his trick. Why Bob?

Chops cups have been in magic's public domain for many years. They have been manufactured by dozens of reputable magic dealers. And while I am Jim Riser's partner, what I contributed to the project was my micro chop cup ROUTINE. I do not personally manufacture them. Jim Riser approached me because he knew of my routine and suggested this venture. It is true that my company does sell the Riser Micro Chop Cups with my routine. But how many other magic dealers sell Chop Cups? I suspect that almost every one sells some kind of Chop Cup. You're kicking a very dead horse here, Bob, and I'm confident that the readers of the Café know that.

However, I apologize if I offended you. You made one mistake and do not deserve to be crucified for it. I shall not bring it up again, except to respond to any attacks on me.
Dennis Loomis
Hello,

I've been reading this forum carefully; and Dennis Loomis just said "Chops cups have been in magic's public domain for many years." Okay, I'll buy that, but then newspaper tears have been around longer than chop cups. So that makes newspaper tears in the public domain too! So Robert Baxt needed no permission from Gene Anderson who didn't get permission from Al Koran, but each did the right thing in giving credit.

What's Dennis Loomis' problem?
I said before that it is probably best to put this to rest. I am going to PM Chris Gold and answer his question directly. If any of the rest of you are interested, PM me and I'll do the same for you.

Just a reminder that on October 21 I posted in this thread a message that was approximately 150 words long Only the last 7 words had anything to do with Robert Baxt. And they were, a simple statement of fact. Not meant to be an accusation or indictment. In my post, I mentioned the excellent Joel Bauer Trade Show Newspaper Tear, which I don't believe had been mentioned before, and also briefly plugged the as yet unreleased Chuck Mignosa Tear. Only as an aside, in clarifying something about the Mignosa version, did I mention Baxt.

Dennis Loomis
I would like to address the comments that a couple of people have made about the Anderson paper tear and flashing. Without exposing anything, I'd like to suggest that there are two reasons that some performers do occasionally flash at the moment of the restoration. First, many do not completely set up the paper the way Gene instructs in his book and on his VHS/DVD. There some some little "fussy" additions that you make to the restoration p****t. Those of you who do this probably know what I'm talking about. They are there specfically to help the flashing problem. If you get "lazy" and leave them out, you are more likely to flash.

Second: if you read Gene's instructions carefully, you know that the paper should not be made fully performance ready until just before the performance. If you have the p****t folded up in the gimmick for several hours, the paper will not unfold quickly enough and completely enough to avoid flashing.

Finally, like any magic trick, you must practice. Performers differ considerably in the level of technical proficiency they have with any particular trick or move. It may be that you got a flash watching a poor performance. To give you another example, have you ever witnessed a manipulator doing the Multiplying Billiard balls or Gold balls and get a flash of the s***l? Of course. I think we all have. Is it the fault of the trick? Of course not.

Doug Henning thought enough of the Anderson Paper
Tear to use it in virtually every live performance he did.

Dennis Loomis
Hoes does the Osterlind signed newspaper tear compare with the methods mentioned above?

Joe
A review of Baxt's newspaper tear is in this month's Genii (or is it MAGIC?). Anyway, the gimmick used is exposed, with Baxt's permission. It sounds like a good idea to me.
On another note, what is the newspaper tear done by Lance Burton in his dove act? It's the same one that Neil Foster used to do.
Message: Posted by: Richard Osterlind (Oct 29, 2004 09:15AM)
Dennis is correct about the subtleties in the Anderson tear. Without them, you lose the "camouflage" that adds so much.

I believe the Sydini tear is the one Lance uses. At least, that is what Johnny Thompson uses and he was Lance's mentor.

My tear is designed to look like the Slydini tear with the addition of the signature and giving back the paper at the end.

All are great methods and all serve well in different situations.

Richard
Mr. Osterlind,

Thank-you so much for your input it is greatly appreciated and certainly an honor to have your insights.

I am very much looking foward to learning your newspaper tear.

Joe
Message: Posted by: Richard Osterlind (Oct 30, 2004 06:59AM)
Thanks Joe.

I have to tell you one other idea that I have used very often and is so much fun!

For this you will need the Slydini newspaper setup, a duplicate paper (all crushed up) and a realistic toy gun! The gun and the crushed paper are in your case.

I come out and do the tear. After the applause (hopefully!) I say, "I often wonder if you people have been really fooled or if you are just applauding to be polite and really think you know how this was done! So tonight I am going to take a little poll"

With that you turn and go into the case WITH BOTH HANDS! You pick up the gun with one hand and exchange the paper with the other. Then you turn towards the audience with the gun and say, "If there is anyone who thinks they know how I did that, please stand up!" The sight of the gun is startling and so funny! The audience bursts out laughing and after a few minutes I say, "NO? OK then." Then I casually toss the paper to a nearby spectator and continue. The misdirection of the gun is so funny that everyone forgets the paper was out of sight and it later becomes another real mystery!

Richard
Thanks Richard. Great for my kids shows:)

Just kidding!
Hello Richard:

That is very good! Are you giving others permission to use the gun bit? If so, I'd like to add it my routine.

Thank you.

Ron Reid
Richard, I love your idea with the gun. Funny, yes, but that's the misdirection for the dirty work.

The paper Tear that Lance Burton does is the Neil Foster Center Tear. Lance has added the burning business to the trick, but other than that... it's Neil's. I think you can still buy this from Abbott's. It's the one I did before learning the Anderson tear.

If searching around for this, remember that "Center Tear" is a term for a mentalist's strategy of the same name. Don't be confused. You're looking for the Neil Foster Center Tear.

By the way, one of the best center tears for mentalists is by our friend Richard Osterlind. It's explained on his series of L & L DVD's... which you should really have in your library.

Denny
Neil Foster Center Tear brings up memories..

Way back, must have been in the late 1950s,maybe 1960/61, I bought my *copy* from the german dealer W. Geissler-Werry..
Can "No Tear" by Tony Stevens be used with any newspaper (pieces)? I know it begins with the paper torn but I would like to show "The National Enquirer" at the finish (plenty of one liners there).

THanks
Candini,

Yes You can replace the newspaper ,
But it pays to make it up with the
same size one.
It comes as a tabloid size ( 18 x 12 ) approx
Thanks Wayne, I got a bid on this on MagicAuction and if not there, Ill get it new....demo looked great on Elmwood.
Does anybody have a copy of the DVD that they can send to me OVERNIGHT UPS, I will gladly pay for the shipping. I just bought it from elmwood magic and they put in the wrong dvd, I instead of Baxt performing his cell phone trick.

PM me if you can help. I live in Canada so if you are from Canada that would be great. Also If you send it to me I will send it right back to you after I get a copy of it.

Thx.

-M.
Call Elmwood magic and ask for Paul Richards. Tell him your story. He'll gladly get you the right DVD for free.
Guys, I have 2 questions...

1. If you have the audience member remember an add or picture on the newspaper, then do the tearing and restoration, will they be able to identify the same add or picture they saw in the beginning?

2. I would like to do the routine, then crumple the newspaper up and produce a dove from inside.. Would that be possible with this effect without ruining the gimmick?

Thanks,
-Vinnie
Come on, can someone please answer my questions...

-Vinnie
Hello Vinnie,

The answer to both of your questions above is yes. I know this to be true because Hocus Pocus is the supplier and mfg. of the Baxt Better Newspaper Tear.

Best Regards
Paul Gross
Owner
Hocus Pocus
Thank you for your response, Paul!

-Vinnie
If Hocus-Pocus sells the item, give them a call. They are always excellent about answering all of my questions. Great service!
[quote]
On 2004-08-10 10:28, MagicbyCarlo wrote:
Plus I never liked the way the newsprint came off on the hands. I know that there is a spray to prevent that, but that just adds another element to the set up.
[/quote]

I know this above post is now over 2 years old, but I just now got around to reading this topic. Here's a great tip for American magi who want to perform a T&R or any other effects with newspaper (I got it from Ray Grismer): Use a USA Today paper. Because of the way this particular newspaper is made, the print doesn't rub off on your hands. A small detail, perhaps, but worth knowing!
Scott:
Ray Grismer is a great guy! I got to hang out with him at the Spokane interstate a few years back. Not only is he a great magician, but he is an excellent jazz keyboardist!

Arthur
No doubt about that, Arthur! He makes his living playing music. He is also an amazingly clever and inventive magician.

Back on topic, I've ordered the Baxt T&R and will post my review of it after I get it and look it over.
Personally I like Richard Osterlind's "Signed Torn and Restored Newspaper", gets a great response from the audience. I'm sure Baxt T&R is good too, but don't see the need to spend the money on something I already enjoy doing.
I received this item today and have carefully examined it and watched the accompanying instructional DVD. Having seen it, I can now offer an informed opinion. I'd like to address several points.

First, I cannot fathom how anyone could accuse Robert of not giving Gene Anderson full credit. Robert REPEATEDLY gives credit to Anderson throughout the instructional video, both directly (many times), as well as indirectly (he repeatedly refers to the folding procedure as "the Gene Anderson Newspaper Fold"). In addition, the accompanying printed documentation also credits Anderson. I think I've earned a reputation (here on The Café and elsewhere) as someone who cares about and tries to be careful about credit and attribution. I give Robert full points for crediting Anderson.

Second, some have complained that this method is not "different enough" from Anderson's to warrant being released. I disagree. This uses a completely different M.O. than Anderson's. It is not unique to magic, or even to this effect, but it is different than Anderson's and MUCH better quality than the other versions I've seen using a similar method.

Third, folks have complained that the product doesn't live up to the ad copy regarding the "hilarious presentation." This is one criticism that I think is valid. The presentation on the DVD is very "bare bones" and, while mildly amusing, certainly not "hilarious" IMO. Having said that, though, I'll also say that as far as I'm concerned this is not a huge deal. It is the rare routine, indeed, that I would perform exactly as someone else does. So this didn't really bother me, although I would suggest that Mr. Gross consider rewording the ad a bit in this regard.

Fourth, people have been asking if this is truly an "improvement" on the Anderson method. Of course, one man's improvement may well be another's step backward. To my mind, for the working performer--and particularly the high-repeat performer--it is, in fact, an improvement. The gimmick will last many lifetimes and is SIGNIFICANTLY less labor intensive than, for example, the Anderson or Shaxon methods.

Fifth, there has been a LOT of clamor regarding the price. I'll grant you that $95 may well seem to many an exorbitant price for a T&R newspaper effect. For a hobbyist, that is probably true. $95 is a LOT of money to shell out if you perform this once and then let it sit on your shelf or in a drawer for the rest of your life. But (at least in my case), there are many $5-$20 magic items that I've purchased over the years gathering dust right now in my magic room--certainly more than $95 worth. To me, $5 is too much for a trick if I can't use it. But if it's a trick I can use in my paying gigs, $95 is a pittance; less than a fifth of what I make for one 45 minute show. I can and will use the Baxt Better Newspaper Tear, so to me, it's a bargain.

In summary, the one negative I'd give is the ad copy regarding the "hilarious routine." Other than that, for practicality, quality, ease of use, adaptability and longevity, I give this item top marks.
I LOVE the T&R Newspaper...ALL versions and especially the Gene Anderson one!! It's the one I based all the "versions" I have come up with over the years...including the one I'm working on now.

Imagine doing it where the paper is either SIGNED or a "pre-fold width" card (or two)is signed by several audience members...and then taped in the center area of the paper...after the flash restoration, the signatue or/and signed card(s) are still there and the paper can be given to them to examine and keep!!!

It's in the final stages of experimenting!!
Scott Guinn, I couldn't agree more with your entire review-perfect
Scott,

You're definitely "on the mark" with your assessment of the Baxt Better Newspaper Tear. I think some people just complain for the sport of it.

And yes, it is a bargain for the working pro!

The bottom line is that when the flash restoration occurs the trick is over. Gene Anderson's version allows the performer to re-display the newspaper page-by-page so folks can recall a headline, article or photo to verify that it is indeed the same newspaper. Honestly, it's not necessary. It’s a nice touch, but again, after the restoration and the crowd oohs and aahs -- it’s over.

I use Robert's newspaper tear all the time -- it's a winner. And when you customize the front page headline with a personalized headline for guest of honor, people love you! Just get so newspaper stock and run it through your printer. Cut, paste and accept the applause.

Thanks once again for being a sane voice amongst the naysayers.
Hi Tim,
With a little adjustment on the folding and preparation of the newspaper, I do show the inside pages after the restoration (like the GA version)--using the Baxt method. It may not be necessary, as you believed, but it is possible.
Baxt's method rocks!
Have a great day!

Ony Carcamo, PHILIPPINES