(Close Window)
Topic: Shecky Greene?
Reading an interview with Johnny Thompson I came across this:
"Shecky Greene is my supreme idol. The funniest man I've ever seen...so inventive and multi-talented."
Obviously JT's opinion deserves respect, so - who was (is?) Shecky Greene?
The word is "is"; Shecky is still very much with us.

He's a stand-up comic who works a lot out of Vegas.

A very funny guy of the late Buddy Hackett type of school.

Plus a lot of Jewish humor.

:hysteric:

cheers,
Peter Marucci
showtimecol@aol.com
I was able to find just a few things on the internet - one about him receiving some sort of National Comedy award at Lincoln Center, and five or six sites rehashing a single press release. He seems - kinda wierdly - to have managed to be highly esteemed by his colleagues, successful (defined here as making big bucks in Vegas), and virtually unknown to the public at large, in a field where being unknown to the public is generally considered a hindrance.
On a slightly different note - if anybody thinks Magic is an ephemeral art, just try researching even fairly recent standup comedians.
Shecky Green was a frequent guest on the variety shows on the 60's and early 70's.

He also appeared in several movies as late as 1997 and as a regular in the TV Series "Combat".

Little known facts from Ray's almanac.

http://entertainment.msn.com/celebs/celeb.aspx?c=109836
I remember Shecky Greene being a frequent guest on the Ed Sullivan Show in the 60s and 70s. But man, I had no idea he was still working. The guy must be in his 70s at least.

Jack Shalom
Shecky did one of my all-time favorite routines during a december in the early 70's on Johnny Carson. A take-off on the Christmas Song, (chestnuts roasting on an open fire). If you can find that you will certainly have a good laugh.