(Close Window)
Topic: Squeaker advice
I'm hoping to get some advice here. I want to add a squeaker to my show. I already have a routine set and have been practicing it quite a bit. My problem is keeping the squeaker dry. This is the "dog toy" type squeaker not a "warbler".

I know Jeff McBride has a DVD for sale about it and I'm going to get the DVD when finances allow. But I really don't need the routine or history right now. I just need to figure out how best way to use it so it does not get wet as easily. I'm hoping someone here can give me a pointer or two other than "Buy Jeff McBride's DVD".

Thank you in advance!
PMed you.
George can you PM me too with your squeaker advice ? Thx
PM has been sent.
Hint 1: Have more than one, so you can easily switch them when one is waterlogged with spit.
Hint 2: Learn to squeak on the inhale, not exhale. Much drier that way

Hint3: (goes with hint 1) Don't swallow it!
[quote]On Jul 31, 2014, Dave V wrote:

Hint 2: Learn to squeak on the inhale, not exhale. Much drier that way [/quote]

You know... It's the simple things that sometimes elude me... That's exactly what I needed!

Thank you Dave!!
Dave V! Jay Marshall (he did Punch & Judy) told me of a Punch & Judy worker in England (I've forgotten his name) who did a command performance in England. After Punch was carried off by the crocodile, and the show was over. The king was visiting with the various performers.

He asked the P&J performer how he had made that "delightful" voice of Punch. P&J took the swazzle out of his mouth and showed it to the king. He re-inserted the swazzle and did Punch's voice. The king was delighted and fascinated. He said, "May I try it?" "Of course, your majesty!" The P&J man took another swazzle out of his prop box and handed it to the king, who put it in his own mouth and was delighted, after only a few tries, to be able to reproduce Punch's voice. When he handed it back, the king said, "Thank you! But,I must ask. Isn't there a chance that you could swallow it?" P&J replied, "Oh yes, indeed! That one you had in your mouth has been through me, three times!"

I think I just hijacked this thread! --But, it was worth it to share that story!!!
Great story.I'll use it!
Dick, could it have been Percy Press ?
George-- I do remember the name Percy Press as a well known Punch worker "over there", but, I can't be 100% sure.
Not many do Punch any more, Edwin from Supreme used to do a bit years ago when Supreme used to sell the Punch puppets. I suppose these days kids aren't interested unless Mr. Punch has an iPad. ;-)
When somebody first uses a squeaker they have a tendency to over-squeak, and it's really really really really annoying. My only advice is that it's more about moments, and inflection then squeaking. If this makes sense...

There was a squeaking act out here a few months ago that had me almost ripping my hair out.
Someone just recently showed me how to make a squeeker with a cut piece of drinking straw. Is this the "warbler" refered to earlier? It's much louder than the gimmick and I would like more info on that. Is it referenced in McBrides DVD?