(Close Window)
Topic: My Problem With Magic Apps
Message: Posted by: michaelmystic2003 (Aug 23, 2014 12:31AM)
Generally speaking, I think the vast majority of magic apps have been rendered relatively useless based on one main thing...

Microphones.

When I started using magic apps, I had an iPod Touch that didn't have a built in microphone. With Chris Kenner's Rising Card App, for example, someone could just name a card, the app would open, and the card would rise. Direct, impossible, and impressive.

With a microphone, you only have one option to make this app even the least bit useable: have the spectator physically select a card from the deck to prevent it from having to be spoken aloud. This almost completely defeats the purpose of the app. A magic app should be something you have on your phone and ready to go at any time. When you integrate a deck of cards or other object into the mix, not only do you have to worry about having those extra objects available, but you also might as well just do something with the actual deck of cards instead of an app. Kenner himself has an impromptu rising card method that perfectly mimics the look of the app. So why bother with the app at all?

This is less of a rant and more of a plea of ignorance. With each updated phone or electronic device being released annually with new and innovative features, magic app developers have their work cut out for them in terms of keeping up and creating magic that defies the phone's basic capabilities. I want to know which apps out there have successfully competed with technological advances and are still deceptive.

I'd love to have some people chime in on this and name some of these apps. Because, as it stands, every single magic app on my phone is useless.
Message: Posted by: GordonTheHypnotist (Aug 23, 2014 12:44AM)
TeleFoto by Greg Rostami. Uses spectators phone. Your phone is not on display and they never speak a word.

SupaThump also by Greg Rostami uses specs phone or your phone depending on the routine. Spectator does not have to say a word.

Iunlockyourmind by Myke Phillups

SMS 2.0 by Angelo Carbone

And there are plenty of others.
I endorse Gordon's recommendations.

And I will add Photo Prediction (Android) by Terry. Its an excellent one, even though it uses ur mobile it seems to be a hands off routine.

Magic Trick#3 resembles your Calci and excellent book test.

Sorry as I am an Android guy, I am not aware of many other.

For iOS, I love iknowyou
Sorry, but IKnowYou is terribly lame (without getting into methodology).

On the other hand iUnlockYourMind is one of the best apps out there. I have the Pro version and use it almost every day. Just outstanding.
Tele-Foto is fantastic, I use it all the time.
Where can I find Mavis tricks #3, I can't find it anywhere .
Do you mean the one by Montier? That one is in the App Store.
Magic Trick#3
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.magictrick.app
Https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.magictrick3.app
Cheers
Downloaded it and can't get it to work. When I touch the number nothing happens, it doesn't show me the words !
Downstairs???
Please read the tutorial, or PM me please
I have read the tutorial and it is not very clear at all. I contacted the creator and he sorted it out.
That's good
My vote is Telephoto and it doesn't need a mic. Great idea!!!
I feel I should post my apologies, after several emails to the creator it seems the problem is with my phone, apparently on the tutorial screen there should be arrows to access the other tutorial screens. Or you can swipe the screens, on my phone there were no arrows nor would the screens swipe. As a result all I was seeing by way of instruction was the first screen, that'swhy it made no sense to me. Hope that clears it up.
No one has mentioned iforce.
Dear Davenport,

iforce is an excellent app but it doesn't satisfies the criteria of OP. The spectator should handle or atleast he should not think some app is employed
His only requirement was that they don't think it used the mic. if you perform it correctly then it fits that requirement.
Yes you r right Davenport
MWFX uses spec phone. You don't put your hand to their phone. And also, you don't need to touch your phone either. And the magic still happen.
To be honest MWFX I consider to be the hottest thing on the market right now, followed by very few other apps. As things are progressing all the time it is always only true for the moment. The fact that you can use a Pebble for MWFX puts it ahead of all other apps with the exception of IUYM (pro version) probably. Jan
I don't think any of the magic apps I have signify either a mic or an app. The only apps I currently use are iuym pro, magic SMS 2 and handsoff. I used to use telefoto but now I no longer need it for Isobella's star I have not found a suitable use for it.

Mark
Yes I use magicwebfx all the time and only use spectator phone which is good. Superthump is also a good one