(Close Window)
Topic: Names of your birds
Are your birds named after famous magicians?
My Macaw's name is Merlin.

The doves and parakeets have non magician names.
I never considered my birds to be pets so after the first couple, I stopped naming them. With 31 birds in the aviary, it didn't make much sense.
The main "star" dove of my kid's show was Boo-Boo. There were a few "Boo-Boos" over the years because I would often work the same places for many years. ;)
I remember Jim Swogers dogs were all named after magicians. They were chiwawa's and he used 6 for the production of the lady from a doll house, Dhe also wore a hoop skirt.

i know a dog that's named Houdini because he can get out of his zippered travel carrier.

I call my rabbit Fido and the two birds for OLE Gregory and Peck

I just got a cat and might call it Dante because it's supposed to get up to 25 pounds and has salt and pepper stripes and features,
I name all by the same name :)
Pet names can be funny sometimes. My grandkids named their cat MonkeyBoy.
I never had names for my doves but when people would ask during a meet an greet (after the show I always brought out 2 doves) they would ask what the doves names were. So I would say names like Pete and Repeat, Thing one and Thing two, Twiddle Dee and Twiddle Dumb, Alpha and Omega, Fire and Smoke, Sonny and Cher, Jimmy and Rosalyn etc etc... Depending on the age of the crowd and the time frame..
I called mine Dave and Mary people ask what's there names and people always laugh.
Huey, Duey, and Luey have been real popular doves of mine.

Also, Boomer, the boomerang dove. He's a flight bird.

Eloc (pronounced Eee-lock) is the name of a parakeet, who's the star of the ELOC routine. I also have a pair named Lemon and Lime, and before that a pair named 7up and Sprite. I also have a few parakeets named Yellow and Yolk. Guess what color they are?
My main workers are Hocus & Pocus, and Allie & Kazamm. My main breeding pair is Ozzy & Sharon.
Do you bite Ozzy's head off :)
[quote]On Oct 13, 2014, jay leslie wrote:
Do you bite Ozzy's head off :) [/quote]

Not yet!
When I started work on my cards-and-doves act a million years ago, I bought two birds and started to finger-train them per the books I read. We were living in one of those SF houses where the ground floor is the garage/basement and the house itself is upstairs, and I built a large cage for them down there.

So one day I let one of the birds out and of course she fies to the most inaccessible place in the basement. But I was ready, and walked up to her and put up my finger and said "perch," just like in the instructions. So she immediately flew to the second most inaccessible place in the basement. I repeated the drill. Over and over. Over and over. My patience was wearing down, but I was determined. Finally... I walked up to her and said, "perch, dammit," and... lo and behold... she perched on my finger.

From that point on, her name was Dammit.
It takes six doves to do my two-dove act but the names are Spot and Rover!

(Their training came from a dog book.)
I only have 2 doves, and my daughter named them when she was 3 years old: Itch and Each.
I dropped doves about 1995, I had two females, named Punch and Judy. I miss them! They "gave" me eight minutes of laughs!
I "Shamu" my performance animals. That is, when one passes away or otherwise retires, I have another that is similar in appearance that I give the same name. It provides a bit of consistency in the act.

My Doves are rather unoriginally named Harry and Bess. There's got to be a thousand doves out there by that name.
My rabbit, a blue eyed white polish dwarf, is Hope S. Pocus.
Clancy, Sydney, Saki, Goober, Isis, Gunner and Fraggle.
I now have two more doves which my daughter has named Snowy and Rosepetal and she's now named my lop ear rabbit, Snowstorm.
Just came across this thread in a search and I think it needs to continue and be update, so I'll start.....
10 doves: alpha male named Stud Muffin, alpha female named Colleen,
beta male named Riker, beta female named Trixie.
The remainder are all the second generation and #1-4 or named after Broadway show characters and #5 is Bess and #6 is .....well the gender on #6 is still unclear as its very young so we will see.
Parakeets are Mr Wormwood and Rodolfo, and Magnus
Rabbits are Bernard and Kara

Ok everyone lets hear your animal star names.........
Hey! don't let this thread die......please chime in......
Bruce
I don't own a single animal. Not even a snail.
If you want a good method of marking your birds to tell them apart. Get a pack of tiny knitting plastic split rings. They are the perfect size to put on the leg of your birds. They come in different colors, so by color coding you can remember their names.

You put the ring on the leg according to gender, right leg for male and left leg for female.
Hey Someone buy Servant a Snail!!
Bill that's a great tip......I get the bands on ebay and they are numbered. I have tagged my doves by generation and number, Each generation we are on the 3rd now are a different color and the numbers help with their names.