(Close Window)
Topic: 4 kings 4 queens 4 jacks 4 aces
I made up a card trick but then realized that there are some variations of this already. I did not know that when I made it up though.
It goes like this. I pull out the 4 kings 4 queens 4 aces and the 4 jacks. I then divide them into 4 families consisting of a K a Q a A and a J of the same suit. I pull the cards together.
I have the spectator cut the cards as many times as they want. I say that they don't like the families so they are trying to cut the families up. I deal them into 4 piles of 4 cards and there are 4 k in one 4 q in the other etc.
I then say that the 4 k 4 q etc. are trying to fight the spec off, but they can still cut the families up again. I pull them together and have the spectator cut them again as many times as they want.
I deal them out again. There are again 4 families of the same suit together again.
I just want to know anyones thoughts about it. And also how original it is. :bikes:
That sounds pretty original to me. But I'm not what you would consider an expert. Anybody else here have a more informed opinion?
I read this effect in a Bob Longe book, but the story had to do with four families in a boat being tossed around on a choppy sea, then they all end up together again on an island.
I'm not an expert, either, but I do have some information for you. A trick similar to this was marketed in 1919. It was by Charles T. Jordan and was entitled "Like Seeks Like." The effect was reprinted in [i]Charles T. Jordan: Collected Tricks[/i] (pp. 87-88) and later in Hugard's revision of the [i]Encyclopedia of Card Tricks[/i] (p. 344). In the Jordan effect, the jack, queen, king, and ace of each suit were placed into four separate hats. Then, after a magical gesture, the hats were emptied and all the aces were found in one hat, all the kings in another, etc.

Vernon published a method for the Jordan effect in [i]Ten Card Problems[/i] that eliminated the hats and brought the trick to the realm of close-up magic.

I've paraphrased, above, data contained in Minch's [i]Collected Works of Alex Elmsley, Vol. 1[/i], pp. 65 and 280. By the way, the aforementioned books contains two excellent variations of "Like Seeks Like."
[quote]
On 2004-01-25 21:46, Firedice27 wrote:
I read this effect in a Bob Longe book, but the story had to do with four families in a boat being tossed around on a choppy sea, then they all end up together again on an island.
[/quote]

I read the same thing, but it wasn't in a Longe book.
This was the first trick I learned, when I was 8. I have this effect described in my oldest magic book, printed in 1859 ("The Secret Out, or 1000 Tricks with Cards"). That book is supposed to be a rip-off of an even older one printed in France. There are variations on this effect with more cards included there as well. I have spoken with magicians from all over the world (Spain, Australia, Asia, etc.) who know it "from way back", usually taught by an uncle or grandfather.
This is the routine I most often see when someone asks if they can show me a trick.

It usually has a risque patter and takes place in a hotel.

Though it is simple it still can play well with the

right patter.

As they say most of us re-invent things.

You are on the right track.

I used to get discouraged when I heard jokes I wrote on T.V. Then People would think I "copied them".

An example was my use of a hat from a rabbit puppet, prior to seeing Harry Anderson doing it on a TV Special.

Now I realize we all draw from the same collective
unconcious. (whatever that means....mini lol)

Be safe and continue to create.

You might check out Cameron's book, The Artist Way.

Harris